rFactor 2 just received another track mod, a version of Road America and if you’re a fan of the long established Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin track….well, you may want to take a look. rFactor 2 forum poster by the name of “shiet” pondered a few months ago about producing a third version of the 60+ year old “Park of Speed”; mainly taking into consideration the possible oversaturation of Road America in the rF2 community with the release of this version.
Good thing shiet went ahead and followed through with a plan of release, because this version of Road America could be the best to date. The main thing that stands out in a video pace lap of the track is the detail put into the circuit and more specifically….the trees. Shiet notes that the trees are a sort of three dimensional version instead of the standard “billboard-esque” trees that are more common place in the sim-racing community.
Download here – http://www.mediafire.com/file/53bb7h1ahqzz70g/RoadAmerica2016_v1.0.rfcmp
Have you tried shiet’s version of Road America and if so, what do you think of it? As always, let us know in the comments below.
rFactor 2 forum post from shiet:
Here is Road America 2016 v1.0.
– I consider this a version 1.0 however I know there are things on the track I could improve but I won’t have time in the next months. This track modding is like there is always something you can fix/do better on the track
– the track was made with 3D trees so the performance is low, you need a good PC
– despite my efforts the track doesn’t look like how I wanted to look like because the game limits the maximum shadowcasting range.
– I spent much more time with the AI than on Mosport to make sure it’s competitive but I couldn’t figure out how to make it faster in the kink (turn 11). It’s a very high speed corner and some cars just don’t want to behave how I want it if you find that certain car/mod is slow in the kink then increase the AI strength, they will gain time mostly there by gaining grip. Cars which slow down too much in my experience: ISI Nissan GTR/Chevrolet GT2, Stockcar 2015. Obsiously I couldn’t test all the mods. The URD and the Enduracers mods are good.
– this track was a one person project from start to finish. Thanks to hexagramme for the advices (AI) and Steve76 who made the racegroove mapping. Thanks for the testing Emery and Chris Lesperance
– if my time let me to do it I will make an update with the bend version (I couldn’t finish this) and with billboard trees or X trees and some optimizations
– right now this is the best I can do
This is it for now, have fun!