Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First wheel and pedal set?

28 posts in this topic

Okay. So another new guy to the Hobby! 

I am getting a wheel set soon, and for 300GBP, I would like a steering wheel, with flappy paddles, a pedal set with a clutch, and H shifter. It must be for PC.

It will be used for Simulation games, racing and cruising alike. 

I have been looking at the Fanatec GT3RS V2, and I like the look of that, and it is within my price. However, it doesnt look all that sporty and I have never seen someone race with it?

Thanks

I would recommend the CSR with the Elite pedals, and CSR shifters instead of the GT3RS. That way you can use it on all platforms should you decide. It is a very good wheel and the Elite pedals are better than the GT3RS bundle, as they use load cell technology, as opposed to potentiometers. These pedals can also be inverted.

The CSR has excellent button placement and the 5 way joystick is worth $50 in itself. It is lighter than the GTRS I believe, and I know quite a few mates that are very happy with theirs for almost 2 years w/o any problems. You just can not go wrong.

Jrv01 also has a great recommend with the G27. I have heard very positive reports about it and Logitec has very good Customer Service, as well as Fanatec. A couple years ago Fanatec CS was sub par, but not any more. They have bent over backwards for me and replaced my Elite wheel (bad batch of motors...first order batch) quickly with no hassle.

I think the G27 is a fine wheel, but the CSR bundle with the Elite pedals beats it out because of the compatability with all three platforms, 5 way joystick, and load cell as opposed to POTS....IMO. Just because it is multi-platform, does not compromise its function on the PC. It is every bit as good on the PC as a PC exclusive wheel. I have a G27 shifter with basherboards FL2 adapter using my Fanatec Elite and really like the G27 shifter more,than the CSR's, as it has 12 mappable buttons and it is a bit better quality....IMO. So that is a slight con maybe with the CSR bundle. You can get Jon's adapter, 6 foot long USB cable, and a brand new G27 shifter of Ebay for under $80! Hope this helps....Good luck!

Here is the website for the G27. I offered him $25 and he accepted. Very fast shipping. Cost of shipping with 2-3 day Priority mail is $11. Not sure how international shipping works. Anyway the CSR shifters are fine to start out with, but that 12 mappable buttons can be handy with PC sims. Not really a big deal because of the 5 way joystick, which gives you about 15 mappable buttons on the CSR. If you have not noticed , I an a big fan of the 5 way joystick. I mean, you have 5 buttons w/o ever moving your hand! Plus speeds up in-game menu selections.

Tough decision, but for me the multi platform is very nice, even if you don't race on the 360 or PS3. The fact is, if you decided down the road to upgrade, the multi platform feature will attract a bigger buyer market. Attached is from Fanatec's gameshop. Good luck.

UPDATE....I did not see the GT3RS bundle with the Elite pedals at $100 less than the CSR bundle....now that's a great deal for sure, if you are PC gaming exclusively. See attachment.

post-5457-0-68378200-1375982238_thumb.jp

post-5457-0-25331300-1375984537_thumb.jp

post-5457-0-34571200-1375984570_thumb.jp

Have you had a look at the Logitech G27? Very reliable, does the job well and includes all your requirements.

>Cheers!< Jrv01

I have looked at the G27, but being in the UK I am finding it hard to find one under 300 quid... :(

I would recommend the CSR with the Elite pedals, and CSR shifters instead of the GT3RS. That way you can use it on all platforms should you decide. It is a very good wheel and the Elite pedals are better than the GT3RS bundle, as they use load cell technology, as opposed to potentiometers. These pedals can also be inverted.

The CSR has excellent button placement and the 5 way joystick is worth $50 in itself. It is lighter than the GTRS I believe, and I know quite a few mates that are very happy with theirs for almost 2 years w/o any problems. You just can not go wrong.

Jrv01 also has a great recommend with the G27. I have heard very positive reports about it and Logitec has very good Customer Service, as well as Fanatec. A couple years ago Fanatec CS was sub par, but not any more. They have bent over backwards for me and replaced my Elite wheel (bad batch of motors...first order batch) quickly with no hassle.

I think the G27 is a fine wheel, but the CSR bundle with the Elite pedals beats it out because of the compatability with all three platforms, 5 way joystick, and load cell as opposed to POTS....IMO. Just because it is multi-platform, does not compromise its function on the PC. It is every bit as good on the PC as a PC exclusive wheel. I have a G27 shifter with basherboards FL2 adapter using my Fanatec Elite and really like the G27 shifter more,than the CSR's, as it has 12 mappable buttons and it is a bit better quality....IMO. So that is a slight con maybe with the CSR bundle. You can get Jon's adapter, 6 foot long USB cable, and a brand new G27 shifter of Ebay for under $80! Hope this helps....Good luck!

Here is the website for the G27. I offered him $25 and he accepted. Very fast shipping. Cost of shipping with 2-3 day Priority mail is $11. Not sure how international shipping works. Anyway the CSR shifters are fine to start out with, but that 12 mappable buttons can be handy with PC sims. Not really a big deal because of the 5 way joystick, which gives you about 15 mappable buttons on the CSR. If you have not noticed , I an a big fan of the 5 way joystick. I mean, you have 5 buttons w/o ever moving your hand! Plus speeds up in-game menu selections.

Tough decision, but for me the multi platform is very nice, even if you don't race on the 360 or PS3. The fact is, if you decided down the road to upgrade, the multi platform feature will attract a bigger buyer market. Attached is from Fanatec's gameshop. Good luck.

Thank you very much for all the information provided, it has definitely made me look into the CSR Wheel, and I think I will get one of those shifters too! Just a shame about shipping cost to UK :(

Thank you!

Didnt think about Amazon! Alright cheers mate :D Not helping! Making the decision harder :'(

:twisted: . No just kidding. Go the route that you think is better. I have heard reliability issues with Fanatec products but haven't heard a lot of them on the CSR. Both are great wheels and you should kind of compare them and pick the one that suits your needs the best.

>Cheers!< Jrv01

If you wanted the CSR and the G27 shifter you would have to make a mount for the G27 shifter. Very simple, I threw this together in an hour. If you don't have a thin piece of steel that comes out at a 90 to the wheel (bolts thru the wheel mount and into the wheel) you can use anywhere between 5/16ths and 3/8ths inch plywood with two longer M6 wheel mount bolts.

BTW, If you bought the bundle(s) with the CSR shifter and you want the G27 shifter instead, you can sell them for $50 not including shipping to help finance the G27 shifter and adapter. I have sold two sets instantly on this site in the For Sale forum.  Decisions, decisions. :-|

I originally said 1/2inch plywood, but that is not necessary, as 5/16ths or 3/8th is more than enough .Paint it black, and Bob's your Uncle!  :D

post-5457-0-05934800-1375996228_thumb.jp

Alright cheers mate, nice wheel btw!

Thanks, it really is a beauty, so precise and smooth. I have owned a few different wheels and this Elite is a beautiful thing. 

Also I don't know much about the G27 wheel, but The Fanatec wheels all have wheel adjustments on the fly, but I always just pause the game/sim so I can take my time. This feature is also a deal maker IMO over the Logitec. Don't get me wrong, the Logitec G27 is a great package. I just think the Fanatec has some very cool features, like the pedals with a adjuster knob for sensitivity, load cell technology, and the ability to invert, should you desire.

I think the Fanatec CSR bundle should be your choice simply because of the pedals alone. The Elite pedals are really nice. I am presently running the ClubSport Version 1 pedals. I can't begin to tell you the outstanding quality of those. The best pedals available for $250, Hands down IMO. They are the crown jewel of all Fanatec gear. Yes, I am a fanboy. :cool:

To view the attached pics, I think you have to set your  zoom down to 50%, as I screwed up and did not resize them with the "Paint" software. I'm a PC noob big time. :P

Seriously, I am not here to be a troll, I simply want to express my opinion, and want you to have the best for your budget, even though my suggestions are going a bit over your budget. Take an extra month and get something you will be proud of.

I had good people help me make decisions on my first "rig" , so I am just trying to pass it on. I enjoy helping people.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions whatsoever.

post-5457-0-01913300-1376015180_thumb.jp

post-5457-0-71817300-1376015384_thumb.jp

If it were my money I'd go this way...

Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 Value Pack XL US:

Discount:129.90

Price:$259.95

Products:
    Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 Wheel US,
    CSR Shifter Set US,
    CSR Elite Pedals US,

My vote would have to go with a Logitech G27, (wheel, shifter and pedals), can't go wrong with that.

Also keep in mind, Logitech reliability is better than Fanatec's

Also, the G27 is a lot easier to fine tune to your driving preferences, you just use the profiling software, the Fanatec has software and on wheel adjustments which is a royal pain to get the wheel dialed in just right unless you have a LOT of time to do so. I had a GT2 wheel (same as GT3rs but with Xbox support) and I hated that wheel, could never get it dialed in just right.

Bang for the buck, can't beat a G27.

I currently use a Thrustmaster T500rs. :)

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

I'm for the G27, I see it's on amazon for 269£ http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/279-9553074-3926556?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=logitech%20g27&sprefix=logitech+g%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alogitech%20g27 I prefer the feel of it when driving compared to the fanatec wheels (count out the csr elite and CSW of course) it's much lighter and more reactive. Also with fanatec there is some shipping cost to consider.

The G27 is a fine kit at a great price. Either package is great. I just lean toward the GT3 RS bundle strickly because of the Elite pedals. IMO, the accuracy of the loadcell over the potentiometer style, coupled with on wheel ABS vibration warning, and Sensitivity knob on the pedals is the ticket. It's the pedals that sway me to the GT3 bundle.

After all, I sold my CSR shifters to go w/ the G27 shifter, so I'm not here to bash Logitec. it is a fine kit for sure.

Anyway, the OP now has both sides with lots of info to make an informed wise decision. Enjoyed the discussion.

Cheers,Roger

If it were my money I'd go this way...

Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 Value Pack XL US:

Discount:129.90

Price:$259.95

Products:
    Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 Wheel US,
    CSR Shifter Set US,
    CSR Elite Pedals US,

If only I could! Would order ASAP, only for USA unfortunately :'(

My vote would have to go with a Logitech G27, (wheel, shifter and pedals), can't go wrong with that.

Also keep in mind, Logitech reliability is better than Fanatec's

Also, the G27 is a lot easier to fine tune to your driving preferences, you just use the profiling software, the Fanatec has software and on wheel adjustments which is a royal pain to get the wheel dialed in just right unless you have a LOT of time to do so. I had a GT2 wheel (same as GT3rs but with Xbox support) and I hated that wheel, could never get it dialed in just right.

Bang for the buck, can't beat a G27.

I currently use a Thrustmaster T500rs. :)

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

Thanks very much guys :)  as I believe Zebrawire is on the ball with the reasons, and the CSR elite pedals, with G27 shifter, unsure of what wheel just yet, will have to see whats available for my location, thanks awfully for all the ideas and support! :)

If only I could! Would order ASAP, only for USA unfortunately :'(

Thanks very much guys :)  as I believe Zebrawire is on the ball with the reasons, and the CSR elite pedals, with G27 shifter, unsure of what wheel just yet, will have to see whats available for my location, thanks awfully for all the ideas and support! :)

If you do go with Jon's FL2 adapter and G27 shifter, mention my username or Roger, and he might give you a discount. :cool:  Then again he might jack you up if he here's I am involved.

Just joshing, and BTW, Jon is very personable and handles all Customer Support himself. He is very prompt, and should you have any problems, he will go out of his way to accommodate. I have unplugged mine and changed drivers and firmware several times w/o ever having to recalibrate the FL2. It is a fine kit for sure.

See ya on the track fellows. Cheers, Roger 

PM....Just don't but any fanatic bundle that involves the non-loadcell pedals. They are infamous for signal degregation, which is exactly how Jon from basherboards.com got stared, with him resolving hundreds, maybe 1000's of signal loss problems from the potemtiometers on the Standard pedals. STAY AWAY form Fanatec's lower end pedals and you will be very satisfied,or get the G27 shifter with 12 mappable buttons. A FANTASTIC kit the G27 shifter is. I don't know if it is a shifter or a button box...lol. :shock:

Just when I thought I was finished I thought of something else, an idea posted a couple days ago on this site. If you go with the CSR shifter, and you need more buttoms you could get this, for next to nothing $$ and use it for a button box (12 mappable buttons)  I bought one just for free PC demos instead of moving my chair and rollable desk to play demos and non racing PC games. For less than $4.00 incl. shipping! How do they do it? :eek: 

Sorry if this comes out as a double post. Also, I keep forgetting you are in Europe, which is somewhat problematic for some things.

If you do go with Jon's FL2 adapter and G27 shifter, mention my username or Roger, and he might give you a discount. :cool: Then again he might jack you up if he here's I am involved.

Just joshing, and BTW, Jon is very personable and handles all Customer Support himself. He is very prompt, and should you have any problems, he will go out of his way to accommodate. I have unplugged mine and changed drivers and firmware several times w/o ever having to recalibrate the FL2. It is a fine kit for sure.

PM....Just don't but any Fanatec bundle that involves the non-loadcell pedals. They are infamous for signal degregation, which is exactly how Jon from basherboards.com got stared, with him resolving hundreds, maybe 1000's of signal loss problems from the potemtiometers on the Standard pedals. STAY AWAY form Fanatec's lower end pedals and you will be very satisfied,or get the G27 shifter with 12 mappable buttons. A FANTASTIC kit the G27 shifter is. I don't know if it is a shifter or a button box...lol. :shock:

Just when I thought I was finished I thought of something else, an idea posted a couple days ago on this site. If you go with the CSR shifter, and you need more buttons you could get http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-For-PC-Computer-USB-Game-Controller-Pad-Gamepad-Joypad-Joystick-Black-/121155233524?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item1c356a26f4'> this, for next to nothing $$ and use it for a button box (12 mappable buttons) I bought one just for free PC demos instead of moving my chair and rollable desk to play demos and non racing PC games. For less than $4.00 incl. shipping! How do they do it? :eek:

Sorry if this comes out as a double post. Also, I keep forgetting you are in Europe, which is somewhat problematic for some things.

If you do go with Jon's FL2 adapter and G27 shifter, mention my username or Roger, and he might give you a discount. :cool: Then again he might jack you up if he here's I am involved.

PM....Just don't but any fanatic bundle that involves the non-loadcell pedals. They are infamous for signal degregation, which is exactly how Jon from basherboards.com got stared, with him resolving hundreds, maybe 1000's of signal loss problems from the potemtiometers on the Standard pedals. STAY AWAY form Fanatec's lower end pedals and you will be very satisfied,or get the G27 shifter with 12 mappable buttons. A FANTASTIC kit the G27 shifter is. I don't know if it is a shifter or a button box...lol. :shock:

Just when I thought I was finished I thought of something else, an idea posted a couple days ago on this site. If you go with the CSR shifter, and you need more buttons you could get this, for next to nothing $$ and use it for a button box (12 mappable buttons) I bought one just for free PC demos instead of moving my chair and rollable desk to play demos and non racing PC games. For less than $4.00 incl. shipping! How do they do it? :eek:

Love the cheap controller idea! Will most likely try to incorporate that! Btw Zebrawire, quick question, do you use iRacing?  :)

And think I might go for the G27..Then upgrade to Fanatec Pedals later on, mostly because the seam down the CSR wheel would drive me mad... :D Bit OCD ;)  

Love the cheap controller idea! Will most likely try to incorporate that! Btw Zebrawire, quick question, do you use iRacing? :)

No I don't at this time, but plan on it, in the near future, but have to save up some dosh for a better PC, even though from what I hear, it is not that demanding graphically.

As of this moment, I am pre-occupied with Codies F1 2012, and in less than 8 weeks F1 2013 will be released for the 360. Can't FREAK"N wait!! Should be epic! I am somewhat of a newbie to sims and I am only able to play the oldies on my cheap laptop. I really enjoy all the Simbin sims and RBR(RSRBR), rFactor, Formula Truck, and NKPro.

No I don't at this time, but plan on it, in the near future, but have to save up some dosh for a better PC, even though from what I hear, it is not that demanding graphically.

As of this moment, I am pre-occupied with Codies F1 2012, and in less than 8 weeks F1 2013 will be released for the 360. Can't FREAK"N wait!! Should be epic! I am somewhat of a newbie to sims and I am only able to play the oldies on my cheap laptop. I really enjoy all the Simbin sims and RBR(RSRBR), rFactor, Formula Truck, and NKPro.

Oh I'm a bit more lucky in that respect, got a kick ass quad core gaming PC :D

Let me know if you do get iRacing, or anything along those lines on PC, as I'll have a game with you! :)

Good decision mate on the G27 and upgrade maybe to the Fanatec Elite pedals. If you go that route, PLEASE go with the Clubsport pedals...100% alumuminum, and the color kits for $40 make it pop.

To this date, I still admire the sight of my CSP's, not to mention the performance. These pedals could sell for $400 all day long. You will never find any pedals with this much quality anywhere, for the money.

Anyone that has ever physically held these heavy weights will attest to them being the best pedals in the world for the dosh.

Definitely spend the extra $80 or so $$ for these over the Elite pedals. It is not even a debate.....PERIOD!

Good decision mate on the G27 and upgrade maybe to the Fanatec Elite pedals. If you go that route, PLEASE go with the Clubsport pedals...100% alumuminum, and the color kits for $40 make it pop.

To this date, I still admire the sight of my CSP's, not to mention the performance. These pedals could sell for $400 all day long. You will never find any pedals with this much quality anywhere, for the money.

Anyone that has ever physically held these heavy weights will attest to them being the best pedals in the world for the dosh.

Definitely spend the extra $80 or so $$ for these over the Elite pedals. It is not even a debate.....PERIOD!

Will do mate! yeah I love the colours! They look so good.. 

yea, I check Craigslist daily, for a high end gaming PC. I really missed the boat a couple months ago for a rig the guy had to sell IMMEDIATELY. It was I7, 16 GB,(4x4) 1.2GB dedicated V Ram, Solid State 1 TB HD, 1000 watt air fan cooled PSU, Logitec gaming keyboard. An absolute steal for $450...just 4 months old, He was desperate in a super hurry to leave the country, job wise , he said, uh huh? Missed out because it was a two hr drive.

Anyway I think we have hijacked this thread, a bit. If you are on the 360, send me a Friend request...any of you mates. My Gamertag is ....KetchintheApex Cheers. Come on over to my "homesite" for all things Fanatec, and racing stuff at f-wheel.com.