Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fanatec Porsche Carrera Wheel - Moto GP 09/10 - Steelseries

25 posts in this topic

This episode features the soon to be released budget wheel by Fanatec, the Porsche Carrera Wheel for the PS3 and PC. We also cover Capcoms Moto Gp 09/10 for the XBox 360, Steelseries Siberia V2 headphones and put two new cars on our Top Sim car list and they both crack the top 10..

One of them actually becomes the new Top Sim Car.. check it out..

triple screen shaun! nice. have you guys checked out soft th at all? google for software triplehead. it works really well with rfactor and the race07 games, at least. it's also really kind to, if you have more of a budget setup with different sized and aspect ratio screens.. it's not going to throw a fit, but you can scale and size everything however you want. it works fine over those even, which something like the matrox triplehead box doesn't at all. I'm running softth on two 1680x1050 screens on the sides and a 1920x1200 in the middle right now and it works really well. it does require a bit more power from the machine, especially on such a big resolution as I'm running across those three screens.

oh yeah! what this also needs though. kind of important. is two videocards. not sli or connected to each other nothing like that, just two videocards in the machine. so the whole picture is rendered on the better videocard of the two and the secondary one is just sending the video through, and providing the dvi/vga holes for the side screens. my setup is a gtx260 card as the main, and a 8800gt secondary. the middle screen is plugged to the 260 and both the side screens is plugged to the 8800. it's all configured in a text file, but you don't actually have to do much configuration for this, just copy over the video plugin files to the game directories and select the soft th videocard from the rfactor video configuration executable. the only other configuration is to set the windows screen numbering correctly. when you plug in the screens they're assigned a number in the windows video card configuration thing. and the screens need to be correctly set from left to right. and the middle screen needs to be the main one. what I mean by correctly set left to right is just when you're in the windows desktop you have the mouse pointer on the left screen and move it across the screens to the right you'll go to the middle screen and then over to the right one. they just need to be in the correct order there for it to work correctly in a game. wow, that's a long and awful post for no good reason. haha.

anyway, great show. love it

Happy 50th, Jessica!!!

Wow, that Formula Armaroli must be pretty impressive! I guess I'm going to have to download it, especially if it's going to be the platform for the next fun race!!!

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on the eyefinity setup, hopefully next episode. I've got the monitors, and just need the Active DP adapter and video card. I'm hesitant though, because I have heard some fellow iRacers have had issues with the ATI 5XXX cards on motherboards with nVidia chipsets, and I currently have an i680 based motherboard. :( I'll need to do more research on that before taking the plunge, because an entire machine upgrade may be required...

Anyway, as usual, great job, guys!

I feel the need to correct you about the Fat Bastard (as you call him) In the MotoGP game as a scottish guy. I know this because I myself am Irish and I have met a good few scottish people who have that Fat Bastard accent.

PS. No ofence taken here.

Happy 50th, Jessica!!!

Wow, that Formula Armaroli must be pretty impressive! I guess I'm going to have to download it, especially if it's going to be the platform for the next fun race!!!

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on the eyefinity setup, hopefully next episode. I've got the monitors, and just need the Active DP adapter and video card. I'm hesitant though, because I have heard some fellow iRacers have had issues with the ATI 5XXX cards on motherboards with nVidia chipsets, and I currently have an i680 based motherboard. :( I'll need to do more research on that before taking the plunge, because an entire machine upgrade may be required...

Anyway, as usual, great job, guys!

I was running an Eyefinity set up on an Nvidia chipset mobo 780i and it worked fine for me. Using one ATi 5870 and three ASUS 23.6" 1920x1080 monitors. But CrossfireX (dual cards) didn't play nice with Nvidia mobo tho but it does work with a x58/i7 setup so I will eventually migrate my current racing rig over to that i7 spare setup on my testbench.

I couldn't get any FRAPS caps in rFactor with Eyefinity since FRAPS only seem to cap the center image with rFactor. But rFactor does work with Eyefinity.

Here are a couple of old SHIFT PC vids of Eyefinity caps using FRAPS.

Cockpit view: in game and not replay cap

Panoramic replay view:

Enjoyed the episode as always! Interesting review with the Carerra wheel. I was a little nervous as I just plunked down for a G27 recently but it looks like it's for a different niche than the G27. I too will have to download that mod in preparation for the next fun race.

I have the TurboS and the G25. I do road racing and not ovals. I am faster with the G25 for my style of racing. The G25 is more precised for me. I find that the TurboS (and other Fanatec wheels ?) feel better since they have thicker rims then my G25. Its all personal taste tho. I get over the thinner G25 wheel by wearing driving gloves. Also there is some horizontal flexing with my Fanatec wheel that its not really confidence inspiring but then again its all personal taste. The turboS is now sitting in the corner, so much for one wheel to rule them all. Maybe I will set up a 2nd rig just for the 360 and use the TurboS. But then the Carrera is gear driven and not belt driven so it maybe different.

Thanks for the correction and sorry for that Steve.. :oops:

I feel the need to correct you about the Fat Bastard (as you call him) In the MotoGP game as a scottish guy. I know this because I myself am Irish and I have met a good few scottish people who have that Fat Bastard accent.

PS. No ofence taken here.

Sorry David.. You are correct we didn't go over the shifter.. but we did in our first review of the wheel here

Better than the G25 6 speed.. In some ways yes.. It's more positive, where the G25 just kinda floats around..that could be better in some instances I suppose. THe G25 does go sequential though which is really cool .

Liked the Fanatec review. Did I miss it or did you not really say much about the shifter? Does the shifter come with the wheel? Is it better than the G25 6 speed shifter?

Darin,

when you mentioned that you tried it with GT5 demo, I assume you mean GT5P. The reason I am asking is that there seam to be some videos popping up of a GT5 demo with multiple tracks and cars. Just wandered if maybe you guys got a hold of the copy of it or something.

Darin can correct me if I'm wrong, but a few months ago, Polyphony Digital released a Time Trial demo of GT5 featuring the 370Z on the road course at Indianapolis. It was released to promote a contest they were having for the fastest time posted on the leaderboards in North America.

When he mentioned that, that's the demo I assume he was talking about, although I believe that Europe got a different version of the demo.

Very nice episode, as usual! :) Seems like the Carrera wheel will be the one to get for budget-conscious racers. Until now I've always recommended the Logitech DFP for those who can't afford a Fanatec 911 or a G27. Let's just hope that Fanatec will avoid shipping delays and technical problems this time around!!

Also I'm looking forward to your triple monitor test. I hope you'll have time to discuss some of the following:

1) what angle between the monitors is best? Which sims allow you to compensate for this in-game to avoid distortions?

2) what FOV setting (field of view) do you prefer? Is it best to keep everything life-sized (which means a FOV of ~ 120 degrees) or do you recommend using a higher FOV (like 160 degrees) to get better situational awareness?

3) how does it work to combine triple monitors and TrackIR? This sounds to me like the optimal solution!!

4) any suggestions on how to build a monitor stand yourself out of wood/aluminium/plastic?

:)

If I said demo I meant prologue.. Although I did try the time trial demo that was out a mwhile back that Julio mentioned. I have not tried the one thats been floating around You Tube for the last few months.

We'll be hopefully seeing it at E3 this year. Hard to believe we were hoping to see it last year at E3.

Darin

Darin,

when you mentioned that you tried it with GT5 demo, I assume you mean GT5P. The reason I am asking is that there seam to be some videos popping up of a GT5 demo with multiple tracks and cars. Just wandered if maybe you guys got a hold of the copy of it or something.

Darin,

thanks for your reply. I thought that the demo in the video was not a time trial. I remember playing quite a bit of that trial (came no where near to the top results, oh well). I was actually surprised that you never mentioned that time trial on the show.

We actually filmed a segment about it earlier this year, but the episode got delayed and by the time it was ready, the time trial was near the end.

Darin,

thanks for your reply. I thought that the demo in the video was not a time trial. I remember playing quite a bit of that trial (came no where near to the top results, oh well). I was actually surprised that you never mentioned that time trial on the show.

At the end of the show you said you would be checking out a new ifinity triple monitor setup. Should be cool. I currently use the triple head to go with an nvidia gtx 295 co-op card. Works really well! A site I frequent for tips and tricks is http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/. I really enjoy your shows and like your reviews, maybe for a follow up or possible idea you could compare the triple head to go to ifinity to soft th. I think a lot of your viewers including myself would like to see your opinions and comparisons on these setups. Thanks.

At the end of the show you said you would be checking out a new ifinity triple monitor setup. Should be cool. I currently use the triple head to go with an nvidia gtx 295 co-op card. Works really well! A site I frequent for tips and tricks is http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/. I really enjoy your shows and like your reviews, maybe for a follow up or possible idea you could compare the triple head to go to ifinity to soft th. I think a lot of your viewers including myself would like to see your opinions and comparisons on these setups. Thanks.

I guess i neeed to start typiing below replies .. (someone busted my chops in another thread) :oops:

Thanks for the tip on the widescreen site. We'll see if we can do a triple head or something with our NVidia systems to compare.

Darin

After watching this episode i went out and got the highly recommended Steelseries Sibera V2 USB headset, and duuuuuuude :) Its awesome, i had the Steelseries 5H V2 before and they started to fall apart.. So with words of this lovley show i went down to the local techshop and bought them. For both FPS games and racing sims they are amazing.

In FPS games i hear every footstep the enemy takes and in the sims i hear everything thats going on i have chopped a few seconds of my laptimes since i got this headset :)

Thank you so much for the review of this headset :)

If you have any questions about the eyefinity setup, feel free to ask, or as stated above, post a question at widescreengamingforums. I do tech answers there as well.

Awesome !! Thanks ! Biggest hurdle is the display port deal.. and three monitors right now.. hehe

Awesome !! Thanks ! Biggest hurdle is the display port deal.. and three monitors right now.. hehe

You only need one of the displays to be DP. I use 3 DVI monitors (ASUS VH242, 1920x1080) since DP ones are expensive right now. But you will need an active DP to DVI adapter. I use both of these, the Apple (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571 ... TA4NDU1NDM) and the Accell (http://sewelldirect.com/Accell-UltraAV- ... ter-10.asp).

They both worked for Eyefinity with my 5870's. The Apple world require an additional mini DP to DP converter cable to connect to the DP port on the ATi card. Some pple has had issues with the Apple one working (Kyle B at HardOCP) but I had no issues with mine except sometimes on boot it does not see the DP-DVI monitor but on reboot its fine. The Accell (Biztech ? OEM) works fine, its also sold rebranded by Dell (Cheaper) but was not available at Dell Canada.

Ah yes, this was a problem for myself as well. I've got a few suggestions. This is what I went for, Asus vw246hx3

And Accell Display Port/ DVI Adapter

I went with Amazon for my adapter, because the first one never showed up, the second one didn't work, and now the third is perfect. Amazon would overnight the replacements at no cost. :D

And here is an example of a bad display port adapter, I recorded this with the Dirt 2 intro so that the lines and flickering would stand out more.

With the new 10.3+ drivers and Bezel Management, you will be having a blast in no time. lol. In all seriousness, it's not as quick and easy as the Matrox triple head, but you sure can pump out a lot higher resolution with Eyefinity, and you don't have black bars on the sides of the screen with Eyefinity bezel management. We still have to tweak some games to make the HUD look right. Most Racing sims are built with triple head in mind and you shouldn't have that bother. You may also have a Fry's near you for the display port adapter. I miss Fry's oh so much!! If you go, buy urself a blue Hawaiian from the smoothie bar in the cafe and drink it for me.

Edit: Also, try to get a good stand, I went with a cheap one and suffered because of it.. Have to hold them together with tape, or my G27 shakes them apart. take a look at Ergotech.

I held off and got the triple stand with an Obutto, still waiting on it,, here's hoping for an early May delivery.

Hope to have a Fanatec Rennsport Cockpit here soon with the monitors to do the demo for the show (and have fun !!)

Howdy Darin:

wow That should be a good show to watch.

I just found out about your show/website/forum. I've watched a lot of the shows and think you folks here @ SRT is doing an awesome job. Keep up the great work and you'll always have people who will want to watch your shows.

Happy Motoring

Alowgo