Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Online Endurance Race... in Forza 4?!!

9 posts in this topic

Yes, one of the online clubs I race with held their first three-hour endurance multi-class (LMP1 & GT2) race in Forza 4 this past Sunday. Overall, it was a great experience.

While Forza 4 does lack tire wear and fuel consumption, and features built into other titles and simulators, there are ways to organize an event and compensate for things that are not available. A four-lap race was held before the endurance race to determine the starting order, then all drivers re-ordered themselves accordingly for a rolling start.

To compensate for lack of tire wear and fuel consumption, three pit stops were required.

Forced cockpit view and full damage were selected.

A couple of weeks before, I decided on the Aston Martin AMR One (LMP1). Not necessarily the fastest car on the straights (like the Bently), but it's "comfortable" to drive with a good balance of speed and handling. After tuning the car (part upgrades were not allowed) and making several long practice runs, I was ready.

I qualified third out of four in the LMP1 class--as I pretty much expected with this car. The race started, and as expected, the two lead cars left me early on. I just kept driving consistently and clean as I watched the distance to the next car gradually increase, and held my position. After about four laps, we started passing the GT2 cars, and the drivers did an excellent job of giving the LMP1 cars the right-of-way when they could.

About two hours in, the two LMP1 leaders crashed into each other. They could pit and repair engine and suspension damage, but aerodynamic damage is permanent. After they sustained damage, they wrecked a few more times, causing even more aero damage. Eventually, one backed out and began to spectate (the fourth LMP1 driver lagged and dropped out, but he also returned to spectate).

The remaining LMP1 driver continued to drive and struggle with the damage. Within about 30 minutes, after watching the distance between us gradually shrink, I caught up with him in the Porsche curves... and he had a really serious wreck right in front of me. I took that opportunity to take my third pit stop, caught him again, and before the race was over, had lapped him.

The only problems I had was that my Fanatec CSR Elite double-shifted about four times. Twice was on downshifts while approaching turns, but I was able to save the car each time and not sustain any aero damage--only slight engine damage that I was able to repair when pitting.

As I told my fellow club members before the race... it's endurance racing. You may think you never have a chance, but something usually happens, and you might find yourself on the podium.

I really enjoyed it, and I'm hoping to participate in another one with this group in a couple of months--though many expressed, right after the three hours that "they'll never do that again," I've already been contacted about planning another one. Everyone in the club did an excellent job as they attempted to go the distance and the time.

690x0_FM4_End130707%2004.jpeg

690x0_FM4_End130707%2006.jpeg

690x0_FM4_End130707%2010.jpeg

690x0_FM4_End130707%2007.jpeg

690x0_FM4_End130707%2008.jpeg

690x0_FM4_End130707%2012.jpeg

Hey Apex.

just in case you did not know. Forza 4 does have tire wear and fuel consumption. just set the difficulty to simulation

Hey Dave,

Can you actually run out of fuel, like in F1 2012? Is there fuel sim in Offline mode?

Maybe it was on--I'll have to check with the guys that organized and hosted the event.

Is the tire wear and fuel consumption realistic?

I believe I once heard ISR say that it isn't... I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure they said that.

I believe I once heard ISR say that it isn't... I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure they said that.

The guys that organized the event said they tested it--and it wasn't realistic. Most of the cars go twice as far as they should.

They have tire wear in Fm4 and they had fuel wear in Fm3 so it would be strange not to have it, on the other hand they took out the endurance races from the offline career in Fm4... I bet that the cause is that it is far from realistic or that it does not work online.

If it's all this confusing, then frankly...it aint worth a hoot. The important thing is you had fun.

But I have often said, Forza lacks a lot of simulation that other xbox titles have every year.

Now they have a console that is 8x more powerful, I say put that power to good use and come up with some serious simulations like F1 Codies.

A good place to start would be dynamic weather.....they have had two years now. As my buddy's signature says who loves Forza....

"It never rains in Forzaland.....shame."

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I just think it's time to step up those sim features.