Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for Diy wheel stand plans

5 posts in this topic

I am in process of buying a new house and for next week or two I am staying at my parents until the new house is ready where I will probably build a ricmotech rig most likely.

but for right now I am looking for a materials list and plans on a simple stand to build that I can get by with right now. I currently have my g27 on tv trays :-(

I know there are threads and I have searched and seen many builds but I haven't found any with materials list and plans, although I am still searching. 

any help? thanks.

i was hoping for something just a little more than that like this. I could do it myself but I would have to figure out measurements etc. I really just want to run to lowes tomorrow and buy what I need and build it without coming up with dimensions myself. 

8GJnZ.jpg

This is an old stand I built in an evening out of 1x2 furring strips (and a 1x4 and 1x10--look in the scrap wood first). The pedals just rested on the 1x4 in the front. It was held together with 1/4" bolts, washers, and wing nuts (10 sets), and about 30-40 wood screws and glue for the upper and lower section cross braces. There were a total of six cross braces, in addition to the 1x4 bracing at the front. A couple of hinges mounted the wheel deck to one of the top section's cross braces. If I needed to make an adjustment, I'd measure and drill more holes and move the bolts.

You can sit down and guestimate with a tape measure. I guestimated mine specifically for my 36" inseam and the chair I was using (discontinued, heavy AK Rocker). You could mock it up quickly and hold everything together with some quick clamps to check the fit and determine where to drill holes for the supports.

The furring strips are $1 to $2 each for 8' lengths (inspect for straight pieces).  If you screw up or it doesn't fit right, it's not that big of a deal. Just cut more pieces.

For the wood screws, be sure to drill pilot holes first.

I recommend a cheap pair of bar clamps and something to check that everything you're screwing and gluing is square. Also, a drill press makes things much easier.

If there's a Harbor Freight near you, they have "cheap" tools and clamps.

Need a seat? Buy a $30-40 folding, rocking gaming seat. You can elevate it and "lock" it into position with a simple base--a frame built out of 1x4 pieces. Angle the two cross braces in (that the seat rests on) for improved structural support. You can even use a kid's gaming chair that's smaller and easier to store--but it MUST be elevated for an adult to use it (and your butt needs to fit in it).

wheelstand-01.jpg

TODAY, my current setup: First generation ApexVStand, CSR Elite, CSP v2, Porsche Shifters, 37" Flat Screen.

The "fourth" generation of this stand is "in the works" as I will be testing prototype parts produced with a large-format 3D printer in the next few months.