Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Limited slip diff?

3 posts in this topic

Am having trouble understanding LSD! Ok the tool-tips are there but to me seem to have the opposite effect of what they say. For example... Preload is a given but i want a car that holds straight under acceleration so that is the drive value... and as for coast i want to steer it around the corner and not have it snap around...

Any help appreciated. Btw the car i am concerned with is the caddy..

Cheers

On the decelaration (coast) side the more locking the more understeer  on corner entry because the LSD will try to maintain both tires at the same rotating speed so the car will try to push and not turn in to the bend. The more locking force you apply on the accel side (drive) will result in the opposite, meaning more locking equals more oversteer on corner exit as both tires try to spin at the same speed, less locking means the inside tire would spin faster because it's much easier to spin than the outer tire with all the load.

Preload is a set amount of locking that is always present, especially when you are not accelerating or braking.

Clutch plates just increase or reduce the amount of locking force which is need at a certain value, lets say 85° drive with 2 plates if you used 3 it would be 1.5 the force of using 2, if you used 4 it would be twice as strong.

One final thing to make it more complicated.lol certain cars and I'm not sure about the caddie but the ford GT for example use ramp angles in the settings not locking force and for the ramp angles the lower the angle the more locking force so 20° is much more locked than 80°.