Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Microsoft changes song and dance about always on and used games

10 posts in this topic

Hmmmmm....... Can you say attempt to save face?

Now if they'll guarantee backward compatibility on games as well as with add on devices and lower their price, they may prevent market share slide. I really think the damage is done. If they force users to adopt a whole new system, there is NO value in remaining in the Microsoft family. Consumers will choose the best bang for the buck which may or may not be M$.

M$ has never really been solid on BC (remember how half-heartedly they worked it into the 360?) but the lifting of the software restrictions and the online requirements is certainly a step in the right direction. I wouldn't bet on backwards compatibility tho... I haven't heard if Sony is going to have it this generation, either... after the "it's in, oh, maybe not!" act they pulled on the PS3 I'd be surprised. 

Someone brought the whole issue up to me about Microsoft's idiot policies on this after they alluded to it at their media conference, and after watching Sony rake them over the coals later that day, I told them Microsoft will back peddle on this... if they're smart.

Hopefully this is just an indicator that the big "Goliath" does have a little bit of an Achilles heel--it just takes another Goliath like Sony to sling the biggest stones at them before they fall to all the little stones from the consumers. I am so glad that these two giants are doing battle. Just like Gran Turismo pitted against Forza, we eventually benefit from it.

Of the two current-gen systems I have, the Xbox 360 has been practically worn out (I have two). However, Microsoft has always annoyed me, especially when I try to use their software for business. I can't do a specific thing with it, contact them, and they ask... "Why do you want to do it that way? Our way is better."  ...yeah, maybe for an idiot or a five-year-old.

"MS" is trying to do it's best @ Damage Control after the backlash they recieved from Basically the entire "Xbox" Community,and I bet the "SONY" executives were dancing in the halls and popping champagne after seeing just how badly 'MS" was trying to screw over the average Xbox Gamer with all the ridiculous restrictions of the next generation Xbox Console,they[MS] still may be losing a fair percentage of longtime customers to SONY & the PS4 in the long run,I am and always will be a PlayStation guy,did not have anything against "MS" or the Xbox in general,just dig the Awesome Sony exclusives like the Killzone & Resistance Series more than Halo & "GOW" Series on Xbox,and also think the PlayStation is a better built system..far from perfect,but better overall ..[iMHO anyway;)]

but after seeing just how greedy "MS" truly is,and how badly they tried to F Over longtime Xbox Fans,I would love to see them get their A$$ kicked by SONY..and it looks like this just might happen,you reap what you sow Microsoft...Greedy bastards!..hehe;)

Well the one thing I noted with the current generation is that Microsoft delivered pretty much what they said they would, but Sony most certainly didn't. 

Sony said 2 screens at 1080p @ 120 frames, yeah right, what a load of twaddle.

Sony said We are the console for backwards compatability and then they removed it! Along with most of the usb sockets.

Microsoft did introduce an Hdmi socket to combat sony's spouting, but they were essentially correct when they said 720p was the sweet spot, because not many people had 1080p tv's and most Ps3 games are only 720p anyway, but at least xbox games could be upscaled to 1080p.

With xbox if you install the game to the hard drive it installed it all, not so with Ps3 it only installed what the Blueray player couldn't cope with so you still had the disc whirring away!

I could sit here all night moaning about what Sony didn't deliver but I can't be arsed, Lets see what they don't deliver this time round.

Agreed joffster, Sony pulled most of the boneheaded moves last gen, with expensive hardware that didn't quite meet their performance claims, disappearing features and subpar online. Will they do better this time? They still have lots of time to screw it up! 

Now that M$ has backed off the draconian "used" games policy they were banking on, they still need to show enough performance and value to justify that $500 price tag, and get a system out that won't RROD (or YLOD) in under a year.