Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My custom gauge WIP (shaun_king)

97 posts in this topic

I'm in awe by your work so far. That gauge cluster is simply brilliant. I cannot wait to see how the fiberglass dash comes along. I have been looking for other people who have worked with it because I also plan on doing one, and if it goes well I'm going to try to make an entire shell out of it. What do you plan on using to form the dash? I just recently bought a bunch of cans of spray foam that I can hopefully use to build up a large form that I can sculpt, then fiberglass over. Great work so far, can't wait to see more!

Thanks for all of your wonderful responses.

Looking very cool man !  Lots of attention to detail.

Wow, from such an experienced guy that means a lot to me Darin. Yay 'Inside sim racing', may it continue for ever :)

Nice mate loving the gauge cluster! It feels good to get a bigger wheel on the G27 aye

Cheers, I was hesitant to buy a new wheel at first because it cost 150 bucks, but your right it feels much better to size up. I felt that it was important to help create the illusion of realism because the size of a lot of stock simulator wheels can feel too small (except F1 wheels)

that's pro grade. do u plan to mass produce the gauge for sale?

No plans to mass produce. I'd have to do lots of calculations to work out if it was viable first and change my manufacturing methods. for instance I'd probably use pressure vacuum forming for the cases instead of 3D printing maybe. you can get some awesome texture this way. also the linear motors were a real effort to get on eBay because they are no longer produced. Kawasaki stopped using linear motors back in 1999 and swapped to stepper motors. although there are many cheap after market revometer that I could use the motors from nowadays. I think the motors from these might work: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-2-Rev-Counter-Tacho-Tachometer-Gauge-With-White-Face-Blue-LED-0-8000-RPM-/360649794427?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53f867237b . I'll might just buy one and test it for the sake of knowing if it is so :) I will report back if I have tested one.

Extremely cool looking rig! If you would like a better feeling for the brake pedal, I recommend getting this: http://www.perfectpedal.com/products/perfect_pedal_diy.php

I bought nixim mods []http://www.nixim.com/index.php?amp;pageid=brakemod] for my brakes after seeing an excellent sim racing tonight review:

http://youtu.be/MwKKzSDlaz0 . I'm having to put my rig together on a severe budget so I can't afford the perfect pedal product :(

I'm in awe by your work so far. That gauge cluster is simply brilliant. I cannot wait to see how the fiberglass dash comes along. I have been looking for other people who have worked with it because I also plan on doing one, and if it goes well I'm going to try to make an entire shell out of it. What do you plan on using to form the dash? I just recently bought a bunch of cans of spray foam that I can hopefully use to build up a large form that I can sculpt, then fiberglass over. Great work so far, can't wait to see more!

I think yours will probably work out well if you used matt wall paint to seal it before you apply the fibre glass resin. From my experience the resin normally melts foam. We must stay in touch maybe i can learn something from your work too. Hey, we can be dash buddies :)  Here is my progress so far with my dashboard:

1/ Made cradle to hold the fibre glass mould together.

411899_3819324355135_92474170_o.jpg?w=60

2/ CNN milled out negatives moulds

456523_3699071228882_52750161_o.jpg?w=60

3/ Put the two moulds together in the cradle with some lips to form the rest of the dashboard shape.

Then pained it ravenously with mat white paint to seal the surfaces. This was the cheapest

way to produce one for me. I.E: Blue foam cost £60, the MDF was scrap from workshop,

£2.99 white matt paint, and the CNN milling a homer from a friendly technician. Admittedly i'll

only be able to use this mould once but that is enough for me.

194969_3819310194781_1645368633_o.jpg?w=

Had some spare time on my hands so I thought I'd share some more pictures of my rig build. Originally

I needed to build a frame for the G27 wheel because my students broke my wooden set-up. You can see old woody here

in one of our Bi-anual time trial meets:

cave-2.jpg?w=800

Because of their enthusiastic (aggressive) use I decided to go for something that has a very rigid
cantilever design for the steering wheel module so the feet egress and regress would be easy.
Like the original I needed a proper seat too and realistic pedal & wheel position.
The rough sketch below shows the general idea of the new rig.

01.jpg?w=800

I had to conduct a detailed survey of all the G27 parts so that I could make CAD models of
them to complete a proper ergonomic assessment for the new design. The pedal survey was
done by simply scanning the elevations with a flat bed scanner.

338393_2418010843173_546802668_o.jpg?w=8

334958_2419389237632_995487798_o.jpg?w=8

332351_2418697620342_616007415_o.jpg?w=8

Here are the models I created in Alias Automotive CAD, quickly rendered in Keyshot. The last image is of the pedals in the

reverse mounted position. I really found this video useful to help me understand more about reverse mounting

pedals: http://youtu.be/ml9L7NB6jVk

339540_2430286110047_2046451030_o.jpg?w=

331638_2430286350053_1209054595_o.jpg?w=

329265_2430428233600_2019642853_o.jpg?w=

I ordered a OMP steering wheel so that I would have a correctly dimensioned steering
device and bolted a chillicoke adapter to it ASAP.

141220111977.jpg?w=800

To complete my initial survey I managed to convince one of out university's technician
to make a scan of the assembled wheel module with a FARO 3D scanner. If any one wants a copy of the scan just
contact me and I can send it to you. The scan was a bit patchy, but was good enough

to ensure that hole positions were correctly positioned.

388821_2687539861230_1213577064_n.jpg?w=

Having accurate dimensions for the g27 technology was very important, but what was also important
was that one has a very accurate idea of the way members of the population will use the
simulator rig. Human packaging was a necessity and took place based on a reliable automotive
platform (Audi A2; they were all the rage at the time) to improve the realism of the usage.
Ultimately I needed to ensure that the rig would perfectly fit a Chinese 2.5%ile Female and
a Dutch 97.5%ile Male. Many studies have found that China has the smallest women and the
Dutch have the biggest men. So making the rig fit both of these would make it usable by
a very wide spectrum of people.

simulator_package_drawing1.gif?w=800

All parts now arranged into the appropriate positions to ensure good operation by a variety
of user and tied together with the basic outline a metal frame that will be welded together
by out engineering crew.

overlaid_package.jpg?w=800

With the ergonomics finished accurate dimensioned drawings were produced.

322923_2906869904344_1176307028_o.jpg?w=
324343_2906869424332_1386594592_o.jpg?w=
340573_2906870664363_1230004134_o.jpg?w=
411242_2906870184351_1308743219_o.jpg?w=

hutchinson-simulator-frame1.jpg?w=800
hutchinson-simulator-frame3.jpg?w=800
hutchinson-simulator-frame2.jpg?w=800

The frame took about three weeks for the engineers to fabricate with about £70
of 3mm square & angle steel. The seat and the steering frame were fabricated as
two separate parts so I could make new seat brackets of I decided to upgrade my
seat. For the moment I decided to use an old VW golf GTI seat that my uncle found
in the back of his automotive body shop.

463536_3055233413339_1670715059_o.jpg?w=

476448_3087261654025_344292700_o.jpg?w=8

416228_3087954231339_720168894_o.jpg?w=8

I painted the frame matt black and added solid wooden box platform to push the
seat, steering & pedal height up to that of a real car. Feels a bit more like
an SUV at the moment so will probably aim to lower a bit it in time.

411363_3461300884772_1188768424_o1.jpg?w

Here are some photos of the new metal (micky) rig in use with some terrifyingly intense drivers at a local charity event.

577435_10200167192676053_281642880_n.jpg

644301_10200167192036037_972417040_n.jpg

CUSTOM PADDLES

As mentioned at the beginning of this topic post I quickly noticed that the stock G27
paddles were unreachable with the new 90mm dished OMP wheel so I had to fabricate some
stainless steel paddles of my own. To do this I made some plastic ones and bent them
about until I found a position that felt & looked good. I found this installation guide by chilicoke

very helpful when fitting the new paddles: http://youtu.be/doTQNdkxrHk

414114_3471134970618_314755761_o.jpg?w=8

Here is a photo of the laser cut custom stainless steel paddles before polishing and brushing.
I bent these with a hammer, vice and some wooden blocks so i didn't damage the metal.

474099_3530783901804_1279903957_o.jpg?w=

... and here a photo of the old stock G27 paddle compared to the new custom paddle.
461652_3535263733797_1536619500_o.jpg?w=

... both new paddles together
458848_3535264213809_1252256202_o.jpg?w=

... behind the OMP wheel
410830_3541967821395_441075383_o.jpg?w=8

... and finally from the driving position.
imag0691.jpg?w=800

CUSTOM GEARSTICK CONSOLE

I quickly broke-down the G27 gear stick module to get a feel for what I could do with
the gearing. Immediately I noticed that I could just make a new shaft – but longer – as
long as the good old guys in engineering can help me with a bit of lathe turning,
drilling , tapping and milling.

415750_3091992812301_1610288347_o.jpg?w=

469274_3091992132284_1198080591_o.jpg?w=

I chopped off the plastic stuff beyond the red line and adding a taller stick like
in this quick Photoshop. My final aim was to modify it into a custom case that is
formed like a transmission tunnel next to the seat.

469199_3087954631349_760800866_o.jpg?w=8

I completed some quick & dirty ergonomic trials with different sized people to get
a feel for how long the new shaft should be.

charlie03.jpg?w=800

george-03.jpg?w=800

With these tests completed I then started the task of cobbing together a wooden mock
up of the transmission tunnel so that I could work out the size of a new 6-gate cover
and it's distance from the G27. I actually used a bit of cAD to initially help me
with the distance of the gate from the G27 unit but trial and error was the most helpful
method to place this component.

291682_3819770566290_414354098_o.jpg?w=8

Because the gate was mock-up in CAD I was able to easily produce a template of the
final 6-Gate with a laser cutter as seen in the photo below. here is a video of the
final mock 6-gate in motion. http://youtu.be/QJPFKaZBCRg . If you have 3D (red/blue)
glasses, bang em on yer face cos this video is filmed in 3D :)

288186_3822458513487_1730735341_o.jpg?w=

Okay, so that is my progress so far, as always I look forward to your comment
(negative or positive). I'll keep updating this topic as i progress.

411363_3461300884772_1188768424_o1.jpg?w

First of all I want to say what a great post and I really like the direction you are going with this wonderful build.  I look forward to seeing your progress.

One idea I had which would work well with your rig.

One of the problems with many rigs is the base unit for the wheel, the T500RS is a very good example of a large base that gets in the way when you want to get the wheel right up close to the monitor when trying to achieve a 1:1 ratio with an accurate FOV.

So I was thinking of ways in which you could get a wheel base unit to sit behind the monitors then to extend the steering column up and underneath the monitor.  This would allow you to place the monitor up closer directly behind the wheel in a similar way to Remco's SuperFOV setup.

This idea would work well with your metal rig design because of the perfect angle of your front support post you could add a long steering column that travels the length down to the front of your rig so that the wheel base sits nearer your feet.  Where the wheel base currently sits is where you would place the monitor.

Ok ok! You twisted my arm (ouch ouch)! I bought the SimProjects gear today :D

It will be a while as they have a notice on their site about not being able to ship anything until after July 1st (Holiday perhaps?) but I purchased pretty much the same components with the exception of a Pro-Gauge rather than the two RevBurners.

Your build has inspired me to add this technology to my enclosed race pit project. Keep up the great work!

First of all I want to say what a great post and I really like the direction you are going with this wonderful build.  I look forward to seeing your progress.

One idea I had which would work well with your rig.

One of the problems with many rigs is the base unit for the wheel, the T500RS is a very good example of a large base that gets in the way when you want to get the wheel right up close to the monitor when trying to achieve a 1:1 ratio with an accurate FOV.

So I was thinking of ways in which you could get a wheel base unit to sit behind the monitors then to extend the steering column up and underneath the monitor.  This would allow you to place the monitor up closer directly behind the wheel in a similar way to Remco's SuperFOV setup.

This idea would work well with your metal rig design because of the perfect angle of your front support post you could add a long steering column that travels the length down to the front of your rig so that the wheel base sits nearer your feet.  Where the wheel base currently sits is where you would place the monitor.

Cheers McUnckle

I just searched the internet found Remco's SuperFOV videos on youTube, and O.M.G! I get the feeling that This would

be perfect for my Sim_02 lab set-up as it is in a small room and the projector screen would work really well with a dished

wheel - that I have yet to buy - because it would put a nice bit of distance between the screen and wheel so the fingers

don't rub against the screen but still get you right up close to the action. At the moment (as you can see in the

photo below) the wheel is really far away from the screen, it's not perfect by any means and could do with vast amount

of improvement:

racing-me_screen.jpg

For the rig build pictured in this topic (Sim_01) I was planning to use triple projectors like this so the screens wrap

around the driver to cover the main angle of vision which is 130 degrees, as in the rough renderings below. After

considering what you have mentioned I might try to mount the projectors up a bit higher to push the driver further

towards the screens so they cover the full 180 degree angle of vision that includes the peripheral range.

Have you had much to do with triple screen projections in the past? I have to admit that I've never tried one

but think that it is a good way to get some scale and immersion.

tripleprojector00.jpg?w=800

tripleprojector01.jpg?w=800

tripleprojector02.jpg?w=800

Ok ok! You twisted my arm (ouch ouch)! I bought the SimProjects gear today :D

It will be a while as they have a notice on their site about not being able to ship anything until after July 1st (Holiday perhaps?) but I purchased pretty much the same components with the exception of a Pro-Gauge rather than the two RevBurners.

Your build has inspired me to add this technology to my enclosed race pit project. Keep up the great work!

Opps, you make it sound like I'm wrestling you. LOL! I think you'll not regret the getting the Symprojects kit (famous last words). I've really had a great time with it so far. I just like the way that you can create your own custom environment very easily with it. I think I would have probably bought the Pro-gauge too except for a few reasons:

1/ As well as a race set-up (tachometer, digital speedo, shift light, with gear indicator), I need the analogue speedometer. It is because I have to use my gauge to simulate a conventional street car with traditional tachometer, speedometer & gear selector in my academic studies. I'll tun off the digital speedo in these studies so it feels like a conventional set-up that you'd probably find in a Ford Focus, etc.

2/ The other reason was that it wasn't released when I bought my kit. LOL!

I'll look forward to checking out your set-up when It is all rigged up :) What else have you got in your rig? I think I saw an awesome post from you somewhere that had a set-up that looked like a spaceship from Starwars. Was that yours?

Shaun, you ARE the KING!!!  

Kudos to your awesome design, drawings, and build!  We love it!   :mrgreen:

No good Sir, YOU are the king. I just saw your Humanracing GT chassis. That is awesome. I need to get my sculpt on and make some sexy shiz like that. That's a piece of artwork man. Likes a Henry Moore sculpture or something. Reminds me a bit of this beaut in Kensington Gardens (Princess Diana's back yard):

26a-21-arch-4151.jpg

... and a bit like this from the front:

800px-Henry_Moore_Double_Oval.jpg

Awesome piece of beautiful flowing sculpture is yer humanracing rig. I'm gonna rip up all my plans for my next rig sequel and sex it up like your's :) -- AWESOME RIG! Does that rig have a metal frame underneath it or is it a carbon fibre construction?

LOL Shaun! You must be a professor or teacher in design!  Engineers aren't as artistic, pure artists and architects aren't as technical, we may even go as far as to say that university professors aren't typically as applied.  Our guess is, you're a industrial design professors at a technical institute?   :cool:

We really like the frontal sculpture you picked LOL...  It actually looks A LOT like our GT Chassis!    :mrgreen:

Our rig is made entirely of plastic, without any metal reinforcement.  It keeps the weight down and it's great for transport.  We have dedicated transport trailers, but usually we just remove the seat and throw it in the back seat of a sedan lol....

Anyways, we really love your work and already shared on our FB page.  Really excited to see what else is up your sleeves.  Rarely does a pro DIY'er pop up with a genuine sense of what a real world commercial product should look like - it's really all about the details and finishes.  Our hats are off Shaun, to you!

BTW Shaun, do you feel that the oversized steering wheel weakened the force feedback significantly?  

A larger wheel means a larger moment arm, so the effect should be there.  Perhaps it's more suitable to go with a stronger motor such as the one found on the Thrustmaster T500?  It's got a strong and reliable system at a reasonable price, especially when picked up second hand.  :)

Oh dear, am i that transparent... LOL! I lecture in automotive design at Coventry University on the side to pay for my educational PhD studies in car interior design, My subject is new automotive controls. Before i came to Coventry I did my masters art the Royal College Of Art so I'm really into artistic sculpture, style, branding, and drawing. However, there is nothing worst than a stillborn conceptual design idea so all the stuff i think of needs to be assessed in parallel against engineering and ergonomics and market forces to ensure it can be manufactured and easily used and accepted by the target audience without problems. I feel that this is extremely important or you waste people's time and efforts and you get a bad reputation - ain't nobody got time for that :)

It's amazing what you can do with plastics nowadays. I saw the review of it by Shaun Cole, it seems really sturdy. I can only presume that you have structural ribbing or a honeycomb structure inside the chassis to keep it rigid? Quite an awesome feat of design engineering, love it.

Cheers for the post on your FB page. It's everso nice to be recognised for stuff i do in my spare time. I feel I still have a long way to go. But everyone's enthusiasm is spurring me on to try to finish the cases as soon as I can.

As for the oversized wheel, I only use it on GT5 at the moment so it is hard to evaluate use from that. I tend to find that in general I turn down the feedback on GT5 when I run time-trial & charity events because the general public can't handle too much feedback as it distracts and tires them out after a while. Although I have turned it up at times and it can be very intense and feels strong. I really need to run it on a program like rFactor with Realfeel, which is my recreational simulator of choice. Only then will i be able to tell how the G27 reacts with a bigger wheel and more detailed feedback. To be honest I'm waiting for my to die so I can upgrade my Sim_02 set-up without any guilt :D   The Sim_01 set up kinda needs the small footprint and package so that I can easily design stuff around it so I'm not sure what to do there. The thrust master is a big old beast even though it is very good as you suggest. Maybe i need to do some research for a compact strong unit. Do you have any recommendations for a compact strong unit?

Yes, quite transparent, because you have a very unique set of skills!  Completely agree with you on art vs engineering, the 2 disciplines are so far apart from each other, that's why companies need people like you in the middle to connect them.

Most of the guys on the team are G27 believers like yourself.  It has quite a lowly status in the sim world though lol....  We love it because it fits our rig best, super reliable, affordable, great software compatibility, compact, light, and accessible.  It's one of those things we can set up and just forget about, which is really important to us at special events or shows.  And most important of all, we believe it functions really great given considering its price.

Don't wish to distract you further from your thread.  Thank you for sharing Shaun.  Carry on!  :)

I think I saw an awesome post from you somewhere that had a set-up that looked like a spaceship from Starwars. Was that yours?

Yes, I had built it originally to be a Mech (remember battletech?) cockpit but Mechwarrior Online did not go in the direction that I had been led to believe that it would (less sim more console shooter, but that is just my opinion). So I repurposed it for sim racing.

http://isrtv.com/forums/topic/9032-enclosed-cockpit-build/

I spent a bit of time alias modelling by candlelight to the new Kanye West yezzus album and I think that I’m kinda happy with the final direction of the gauge covers. I’m probably remake them one more time just to iron out some of the surfacing kinks but ultimately I think I’m at the stage where I just want to start producing something in RP (Rapid Prototype) to see it eye to eye. Just three sets of technical details to go – Lighting channels, screw fixing lugs and recesses & stand fixtures – then I’m ready for some soft foam parts maybe to check aesthetics and part fitments.

rear-cover-02.jpg

rear-cover-04.jpg

rear-cover-01.jpg

rear-cover-00.jpg