Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MotoGP 13

10 posts in this topic

PC Demo available now!  http://www.gamershell.com/download_101157.shtml

MotoGP is coming back to PC!  Steam has the store page up... but no listed price or option for pre-order.

Just did two quick races. First things to note... the demo offers two riders to select from, Rossi and Maquez... and one track to race at, Catalunya. Only option is a 3 lap race, full 24 rider grid... no practice, qualify, etc. 

All controls are fully mappable, however I can't find anyway to adjust sensitivity. I'm playing with an Xbox 360 controller, and the triggers for accelerate/brake have huge dead zones. The steering with the left joystick feels fine. 

I played first race with "standard" physics, and the second race with "semi-pro" physics... "Professional" physics are available in the demo too. See VVV's First Look video (
) for great detail about the differences between the 3 settings. I really liked what I was feeling with the semi-pro physics settings... it's twitchy enough to feel on edge, but not overly difficult. "Standard" physics felt slow and sluggish with the rider input, probably to make it more difficult to crash... but it makes quick corner changes (like chicanes) difficult. 

Split brakes are available for advanced riders... however I couldn't find how to map it in the settings (I can only see 'combined brakes'), maybe I'd have to change that setting first before going into the controller settings? I used to play the old Climax MotoGP games with the right thumbstick pushed forward for accelerate, and left and right triggers as separate brakes... would love to get that configuration working again. 

Overall graphics are decent... about the level of WRC 3, a step below the Codemasters F1 series. But the menu interface looks and feels a lot like the Codemasters F1 games, especially since pre-race is always started from your paddock. One thing I noticed immediately is the few canned rider animations, like if you get bumped (or bump someone) from behind, and they get 'bucked' forward. 

Overall I'm pretty excited about this release. It's been a long time since I've really enjoyed a good MotoGP game. I'll give the demo a few more goes before my decision is 100% made.

This is great, thanks for this post. I was on the fence about getting it because of my lack of success in running F1 2012. This will test to see if my laptop will run Moto GP without it crashing.

3 hours later:

This game is excellent, just what I need! This is the perfect game for when I just want to mess with AI, and I'm not that great at it which makes it even better because I love not always beating the AI. Don't follow Moto GP, I think those guys are certifiably insane to do what they do, but this might get me into their sport.

Well, I'm loving this new MotoGP. Been playing for hours. Graphics are quite good. Game runs smooth on max settings. I'm playing on Pro settings and it's awesome fun. Bike handling is very good. Braking is realistic, you really need to slow down before you can lean to turn. And you need to shift your weight all the time. And I really like riders animations, from near crash saves to "Rossi's dangling leg" to help balance bike before turning in. Awesome. As a MotoGP fan/follower I love presentation of the game. Music, track and grid presentation and even voice of annoucer is well recognisable to MotoGP followers. Pre order made :-)

I am a big MotoGP fan , and by the looks of some the game trailers this looks like a great game when compared to the previous versions

Tossing up to go for it on PC or PS3 and recommendations

Well i haven't seen a ps3 version of demo but today i downloaded xbox version and graphics and frame rate is just aweful compared to pc version. I always raced MotoGP and SBK on xbox. But recently i bought gaming pc and really there is no way back to playing on console for me now. I'm just unsure about community on pc but it should be fine.

I found the rear brakes option... and I'm guessing once you turn on split brakes option in the driving controls, that it activates.  Still hope they add an option to adjust sensitivity... dead-zone is way too big (or maybe linearity curve is the issue).  But at the right price (for me about $30 USD) it'll be an instant purchase... at $40, I still might consider.

I found the rear brakes option... and I'm guessing once you turn on split brakes option in the driving controls, that it activates.  Still hope they add an option to adjust sensitivity... dead-zone is way too big (or maybe linearity curve is the issue).  But at the right price (for me about $30 USD) it'll be an instant purchase... at $40, I still might consider.

Nice... $30 at GMG with 25% off code for pre-orders (GMG25-GDSAK-7FPWQ)... done and done.

I've been looking forward to this since the first trailer. I've had a couple days to give the demo a few laps and thought I'd share some of my thoughts.

Quick thoughts:
- Physics engine is revamped. Doesn't give the skating on ice feeling like past Milestone iterations, at least when using first person cameras (which I'm all about). Definitely feels like a different riding experience, for the better IMO. The most difficult physics setting is very challenging and seems more realistic. You definitely have to put a lot more effort in not upsetting the suspension with harsh inputs. Being a first person / cockpit racer, these handling changes definitely feel quite noticeable. Traction control works well. Without it, good luck not crashing. One thing I definitely do like is the more pronounced ability to steer with the rear by spinning up the tire compared to SBK Generations by being able to use different traction control settings which I think will add a new dimension to choosing lines.
- Graphics engine is updated but still feels outdated and lacking, maybe just a small step above PS2 standards and certainly underwhelming PS3 standards. It's fine for me since I'm stuck in the original NFS1SE days and I'm more concerned with the gameplay but I can understand those that gripe about this being a game released in 2013. Butter smooth frame rates on my Radeon 6950 in the highest detail settings at 1080p so I'm happy. I'm enjoying the new first person cameras. It no longer has the swinging on a pendulum effect and I can actually see the track when using it as opposed to some of the cockpits used in SBK Generations like the RC8. It could use some refinement though as I sometimes question whether the bike is following the path of the tires not shown but presumably moving beneath me, or if it's in relation to just the viewing window regardless of the shown cockpit. A minor gripe which probably isn't an issue for most people (3rd person riders) but something I'd like to see addressed being a cockpit rider. Other than that, Milestone has incorporated cool new animations for crashes and collisions.

Shortcomings:
- Weather system. There doesn't seem to be much difference in handling between rain and dry conditions other than accelerating slower in the rain. Traction, braking limits, etc, doesn't seem to be affected much. Shame considering SBK Generations weather system gave a noticeable difference in handling even between sunny vs cloudy. The graphical presentation of the rain effects in Motogp 13 feel lacking in comparison.
- Bike collisions. I'm crash-prone and it's reflected in the way I rode my real bike. In Motogp 13, it usually feels like the chase bike is the bulldozer and the lead is the pedestrian. Unrealistic and frustrating considering the AI will mow you down if you are in their line and have an earlier braking point.
- Force feedback on Xbox 360 controller for PC was very inconsistent. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I played without force feedback back in the days of using my Logitech Dual Action controller, but I used FF to great effect when I got my Xbox 360 controller. Please fix this, Milestone. Braking is very touchy and trail braking will be to your benefit, so a good analog device is recommended. Using the rear brake feels very different compared to SBK Generations. For example, leaning into a turn with the rear brake fully applied, you can lowside rather easily. And applying it mid-corner doesn't really correct for understeer like it did in Generations. Definitely something I have to experiment with a bit more.

Verdict:
- What I gather from the demo of Motogp 13 is that much of the gameplay feels like a significant step up from SBK Generations although some of the details feel a bit unrefined. It's definitely sim-oriented, which is on par with Milestone's past racing titles so don't expect NFS type gameplay or graphics. That being said, I'm looking forward to getting the actual game when it is released, although I'll be reining in my expectations a bit. I'll miss Donington Park, but can't wait to try out Laguna Seca and COTA among others. Hope Darin and Sean review Motogp 13. :)

Preview with realistic AI, pro level physics, no rider aids (the most difficult settings for each), TCS set to full, and I turned off all the HUD distractions aside from the lap timer. Controller is an Xbox 360 controller for PC.