Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My biggest grief with racing sims, WHY is it like this?

12 posts in this topic

Every racing sim out there for PC have always been the same, racing cars racing cars racing cars...

Are there really NONE truly built for road cars?

To me a track going car gets boring, track style interior with roll cage gets tiresome, they are fun there and then for a few laps.

What I want to see is driving a street car around a circuit, in the SAME configuration as it came off the showroom floor.

Just what is the big problem by adding this? Surely there must be a demand for it since games like Gran Turismo and Forza clearly feed off it.

I have tried most of them except IRacing, the subscription model is not in my taste actually, but I have fallen in love with the physics of GTR 2 and rFactor but these rub off on me as being race car only.

My definition of a street car is full street interior and street tires, the Supra you reviewed for rFactor was superb and right up my alley, I enjoy that car alot.

The interior on it feels like a street car, the soundtrack in it is one of the sweetest I have heard and they even got the blowoff valve correct which no one else have gotten right.

Only other massive street car game I tried was Need For Speed Shift, physics were not up to par with my liking, but I did complete as much of that game as possible in a street car. (I finished the last race driving a street car that was tuned, no works conversion so to speak)

But you did mention GTR Evo, now I haven't tried that one yet, I will have to have a look around for that and mods and see if I find any with full street interior and the proper tires.

Its a shame Shift didn't appeal - I think its brilliant for street cars. You can drive just like they do on Top Gear or Fifth Gear - to me the physics are great. And the sense of speed means that they don't feel boring, even if the drawback is the supercars feel like you are driving in fast motion. The AI is the thing I don't like about Shift.

Shift also had a problem that really griped me, heel and toe was impossible.

The moment I stepped on the brake, and on the clutch, I was unable to blip the gas at all.

I kept trying but ending up parking the car on the centre of the track and then the gas would work, same thing happens in Pro Street when I tried that.

I know I need that motion ever since I trained it into my "Genetics" so to speak.

But I may also be too picky about what I eat for simulation as well...

I think you gave the answer yourself: they are racing sims. There are a couple of good street car mods out there (Corvette C6, Toyota Supra, VW Golf is pretty good too), but honestly there is a lot more in the PC sims than just turning laps. They are based on multiplayer action, like all modern FPS games, join a community and start racing for real. That will certainly inspire you to do those practice laps, finding those few tenths and consistency with which you can beat the guys of your level.

I think Test Drive Unlimited, despite being quite arcade-y, is the best you can get street car wise. Hopefully TDU2 will have a better simulation mode.

Try BMW M3 Challenge.

You can downloud it anywhere for free just google it.

It has great physics,i believe it's best on the Gtr 2 physics.

Lots of fun with it and it's all stock,you only get one track though : the Nurburgring,but it is freewear so give it a try,you won't regret it!

Alexandru

Every racing sim out there for PC have always been the same, racing cars racing cars racing cars...

Are there really NONE truly built for road cars?

I think you might be touching on what it is that I'm missing from the PC racing scene and I'm quite sure that we're on the same page here.

I have asked myself all week why there isn't a "proper" PC game that can compete with Forza 3 . Yes, rFactor has road cars but, there's definitely nothing that comes close (I mean in numbers, three cars vs F3's 400+) to Forza 3 or the "soon" (heh) to be released (this is of course speculation but considering what we've seen from various demos and beta versions of,) Gran Turismo 5.

TDU? Well if you think that's more of a simulator then Forza 3 well, then you haven't given Forza 3 enough time.

LFS has got some road cars and I do love that game though but somehow there just isn't enough normal road cars for me to keep me interested in them for a long period of time. Maybe it's because I've played it for too long though.

Good question though Sweeper, WHY is it like this?

The Gran Turismo Franchise has been expected (searching for source, will edit when found) to pass Zelda on the best selling game franchises of all time so it can't be that there's no market for it. Maybe it wouldn't sell as much on the PC but I sure as heck would buy Forza 3if it was released on PC.

i think it could be the sheer cost of developing games like Gran Turismo and Forza that could be the problem. T10 and PD are first party developers for the 360 and ps3 and have the backing of microsoft and sony to create these games which then sell their consoles, why would you by a 360/ps3 if either of these games were available for your pc which is alot more versatile than a console?

Sorry for raising a long dead post, but just thought I'd add another voice that would like to see some street car racing with realistic physics (essentially a Forza or Gran Turismo) on the PC. I like tuned race cars as well, but there's just something very cool about racing cars you could drive off a showroom. For example, I always preferred the GT3 cars in GTR2 as they seemed 'more stock' to me.

I have found TDU2 isn't bad, the physics are kind of gamey, but not nearly as gamey as NFS Most Wanted or such like. It has an excellent selection of street cars and the racing is fun (although the AI is a walkover).