Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Motion sickness with triple 24" screens

19 posts in this topic

Got my triple screens working thanks to you guys and your help I love them,just one problem I feel sick driving the cars,will it get better does your body get used to it or am I just a wimp???has anybody else had this problem???how do I stop it???

Cheers

karl

When I got my triples, at first, I felt strange until I got used to it, I can't really say sick but strange.

However, when I tried oval racing on a short track (Lanier, South Boston) on iRacing, there I felt really dizzy after about 5 or so laps. I gave up on oval racing anyways since it's not my thing.

It may be a matter of getting used to it or you may suffer from some sort of motion sickness. Maybe you have too much angle on your side monitors.

There was a message thread a while back about this very subject and trust me, you are not alone, you may want to try doing a search for it, it was discussed in great detail.

I hope you can figure it out.

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

Try Ginger Root Tablets, they work quite well for nausea and motion sickness. They are cheap, you can buy a bottle at most GNC stores. If I remember right you are supposed to take the tablet or pill about 30 minutes before the activity that you feel might give you nausea.

I had a bit of nausea when I first got my triple screens but my brain adjusted quickly and I have not had a problem since.

When I first tried triples I felt like I was going cross eyed  :geek:. This was when I had them on a desk and a fair way back from the steering rig. 

Once I built a triple monitor stand and moved the center monitor as close behind wheel as possible and adjusted side monitor angles, I found the cross eyed feeling went away completely because now the side monitors are where they should be, in my peripheral vision, which is more natural.

I fail to see how an incorrect FOV can cause motion sickness, some people are just more susceptible to it than others.

I remember years ago in my college days I was out drinking the night before and tried a new game that I had just bought called DOOM. My hangover was probably partly to blame but I experienced motion sickness for the first time ever. I could only ever play it for 15-30mins at a time but I soon got used to it and I've never experienced motion sickness since.

I fail to see how an incorrect FOV can cause motion sickness, some people are just more susceptible to it than others.

I remember years ago in my college days I was out drinking the night before and tried a new game that I had just bought called DOOM. My hangover was probably partly to blame but I experienced motion sickness for the first time ever. I could only ever play it for 15-30mins at a time but I soon got used to it and I've never experienced motion sickness since.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Field_of_View

Motion sickness : Smaller FOVs tend to exaggerate camera movement, whilst larger FOVs tend to minimise its effect on the image. Thus setting a wider FOV can sometimes help to reduce motion sickness during gameplay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

Simulation sickness [edit]

Simulation sickness, or simulator sickness, is a condition where a person exhibits symptoms similar to motion sickness caused by playing computer/simulation/video games.[1]

The most common theory for the cause of simulation sickness is that the illusion of motion created by the virtual world, combined with the absence of motion detected by the inner ear, causes the area postrema in the human brain to infer that one is hallucinating and further conclude that the hallucination is due to poison ingestion. The brain responds by inducing nausea and mass vomiting, to clear the supposed toxin.[7] According to this theory, simulation sickness is just another form of motion sickness.

The symptoms are often described as quite similar to that of motion sickness, and can range from headache, drowsiness, nausea, dizziness, vomiting and sweating. Research done at the University of Minnesota had students play Halo for less than an hour, and found that up to 50 percent felt sick afterwards.[12]

In a study conducted by U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences in a report published May 1995 titled "Technical Report 1027 - Simulator Sickness in Virtual Environments", out of 742 pilot exposures from 11 military flight simulators, "approximately half of the pilots (334) reported post-effects of some kind: 250 (34%) reported that symptoms dissipated in less than 1 hour, 44 (6%) reported that symptoms lasted longer than 4 hours, and 28 (4%) reported that symptoms lasted longer than 6 hours. There were also 4 (1%) reported cases of spontaneously occurring flashbacks."[13][14]

The phenomenon was well known in popular culture before it was known as simulation sickness. In the 1983 comedy film Joysticks, the manager of a local video arcade says, "The reason why I never play any of these games, well, they make me physically ill. I mean, every time I look in one of the screens, they make me dizzy."

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Field_of_View

Motion sickness : Smaller FOVs tend to exaggerate camera movement, whilst larger FOVs tend to minimise its effect on the image. Thus setting a wider FOV can sometimes help to reduce motion sickness during gameplay.

Hmm interesting - I stand corrected, thanks for the post

Does anyone else have trouble reading a book while being a passenger in a car?  I start feeling queasy after 30mins.

Does anyone else have trouble reading a book while being a passenger in a car?  I start feeling queasy after 30mins.

Oh Yeah, i have that problem BIG TIME.

Try reading a magazine... ;)

I am very lucky. Spin me arround, rollercoasters, driving, games, you name it nothing makes me motion sick. But my wife... she gets sick at the drop of a hat. She has triesd ginger root, sea sickness tablets, the little wrist strap stuff... and nothing...

So If you figure it out, pleas keep us informed. I am sure my wife could use the tricks.

Oh Yeah, i have that problem BIG TIME.

Yes I have that too.

Ooh boy, big time, it's very annoying! Hopefully you guys aren't JUST passengers! If you are, the, this might not be the right place for you!

Ooh boy, big time, it's very annoying! Hopefully you guys aren't JUST passengers! If you are, the, this might not be the right place for you!

I actually don't enjoy driving in the city and I get my wife to drive as much as possible, get me on the freeway out of the city though and I'm all over it :-)