Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TSW Load Cell Pedal Review, Trials HD, Top Sim Cars

18 posts in this topic

Episode 60 sponsored by http://www.Simraceway.com..

Thomas Super Wheel is known for making bullet proof products, we put their Pedals set with the Load Cell upgrade to the test to see if it lives up to their reputation. We also take a ride on Trials HD the action packed Motorcycle game for the XBOx. After many submissions the results are in for the Viewers Choice for Simrigs, see the winner in all of its glory. In addition to all of that we will add 2 more cars to the Top Sim Car list all in one Episode. Join Jessica, Darin and Shaun and enjoy the show.

Now I wish I had an XBOX so I could play Trials HD. That looks like a good drinking game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/16600/ :D

It's been on the PC for a while now. From what footage I've seen, the 360 version looks a bit more polished, but the PC version is also fun as Hell. And looks like it's the same gameplay-wise.

And it's proven to be an awesome drinking game, by yours truly. We haven't gotten past the first level we chose. :lol:

Yeah I have a PS3 too and that Trials game, although pure arcade, looks really good fun especially with the way you can build your own tracks and then host them online. I've always loved track editors. Oh well, I look forward to the PS3 exclusive, Modnation Racers, out in May.

On another note, I was really surprised with the high score of the Ken Block Impreza from Dirt2, bearing in mind its far more arcade than sim. As much as I enjoy playing the game, and its more about fun, I never looked at the cars as decent TSC. 12th on the list, what were they thinking, I think they've lost it?.... they knew they were going to take some stick about that! lol. :)

It does superbly in a lot of arreas on the scale, i.e. fun factor, immersiveness, FFB, etc. Basicaly everything apart from physics. So that definitely pushed it up quite a notch. Personaly, I'd give it a bit less than 15 in physics ( let's say a 13 or so ), but it is their review and their oppinions. :)

Fun episode! I always look forward to your new episodes. Trials HD looks like fun although I can see myself getting frustrated.

Interesting petal set. I noticed Shaun does left footed breaking even though the set has a clutch. I got my G27 last Wednesday and I'm still learning it. I tried both petal approaches, heel-toe and LFB. I feel a little more comfortable having my feet more far apart (heel -toe) but I find having to move my foot entirely to the break on hard breaking means I have little or no acceleration which I think slows me down and leads to more spins. Any tips? Also any h-shifter tips? Thanks!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/16600/ :D

It's been on the PC for a while now. From what footage I've seen, the 360 version looks a bit more polished, but the PC version is also fun as Hell. And looks like it's the same gameplay-wise.

And it's proven to be an awesome drinking game, by yours truly. We haven't gotten past the first level we chose. :lol:

Totally agree, a heap of us at Adrenalin have had the game for many months on the PC and yep the graphics do look a little more polished on the BOX.

What wasn't noted was on the PC version you can view from first person perspective, whilst obviously being a bike fan, I found it great but very hard. Does the BOX offer the same view also ?

All in all a great game requiring alot of patience

I'm in for a wheel right now, but what concerns me is the pedals:

Logitech G27 Vs Fanatec Clubsport Vs TSW Load Cell Pedal

In the video you said TSW can outperform Logitech's but what about Fanatec's?

Hi Wendy..

I also LFB because I'm faster that way and I rarely race with the gated shifter. Paddles are faster in my opinion.

I honestly only use the clutch and gate shifter to have fun, not for serious racing.. I'm too competitive and want every advantage I can get as I get older and slower ;-)

Darin

Fun episode! I always look forward to your new episodes. Trials HD looks like fun although I can see myself getting frustrated.

Interesting petal set. I noticed Shaun does left footed breaking even though the set has a clutch. I got my G27 last Wednesday and I'm still learning it. I tried both petal approaches, heel-toe and LFB. I feel a little more comfortable having my feet more far apart (heel -toe) but I find having to move my foot entirely to the break on hard breaking means I have little or no acceleration which I think slows me down and leads to more spins. Any tips? Also any h-shifter tips? Thanks!

That is a very good question.. We're going to do a full review of the clubsports soon.. We've had them for so long but never actually reviewed and scored them.

I'm in for a wheel right now, but what concerns me is the pedals:

Logitech G27 Vs Fanatec Clubsport Vs TSW Load Cell Pedal

In the video you said TSW can outperform Logitech's but what about Fanatec's?

Hi Wendy..

I also LFB because I'm faster that way and I rarely race with the gated shifter. Paddles are faster in my opinion.

I honestly only use the clutch and gate shifter to have fun, not for serious racing.. I'm too competitive and want every advantage I can get as I get older and slower ;-)

Darin

Ba-a-ad... Ba-a-ad Darin, ;) I use H and clutch, and heel toe, depepnding on what I am driving (Some cars you really dont use the clutch in real life except for taking off and downshifting). No... it is not as fast as paddles, but I feel so much better driving the car as I would in real life, and after a 25-35 lap race you are ready for a ice cold cerveza.

And what a feeling, knowing that you beat all them fellas with paddles :P

EDIT: I am really hoping that RF2 will allow me to host a server where the clutch is mandatory (not able to shift without it, or at the very least a long delay when not using it). unlike rFactor now, where the clutch is not even needed.

Hey Dave, there's specific mods for rFactor that give some sort of advantage to people who use clutch and gated shifters. Dunno how they do it, but it makes a huge difference. The mod used for the L2R 12 Hour had such a feature (which was a mix between HistorX and SO76).

Thanks for your response!

Yes, I know what you mean. And I'm even older and slower than you are :-) (actually, if you're "slower" now you must have been a uber alien!) I guess I've been using the gated shifter since I figured if I have this beautiful shifter that I should learn how to use it. I'm beginning to think that my real issue right now is not getting on the gas as much or as quickly as I need to on turn exit which is causing poor times and spinning.

Thanks again!

Wendy

Hi Wendy..

Darin

Hey Dave, there's specific mods for rFactor that give some sort of advantage to people who use clutch and gated shifters. Dunno how they do it, but it makes a huge difference. The mod used for the L2R 12 Hour had such a feature (which was a mix between HistorX and SO76).

Yes there are... BUT you have to select it in upgrades. So, I select gated/heel toe, then join any server without aids of any sort. and still don't have to use the clutch when shifting ... (you will need a clutch for smooth starts, but after that there is no need for a clutch). There is no way to make someone use it.

Wow, 60 episodes already! Way to go, guys! That was a great TSW review. Although I'd take you for your word in acknowledging that te TSW pedals are rock solid, I think that if I were going to spend that much money, I'd put it towards a set of CST's... I had a chance to try them in the sim rig that was set up in the Grand-Am Fan tent during the Grand Prix of Miami (they had the Riley/Homestead combo set up in the iRacing simulator), and man, let me tell you - those pedals are awesome!!! I couldn't quite get used to them in the short time I had to drive, but those are SWEET!

It's a shame that Todd has apparently had a hard time keeping up with demand. A lot of people have complained in recent months that it has taken them months to get theirs. It mist be hard trying to maintain what is essentially a one-man operation. I know that he's tried to hire some help, but it never worked out; he often hadto go back and rebuild a lot of the rigs. He just won't stand for quality that is not up to HIS standard. It would b great if you could review his pedals, provided you can get your hands on a set. It would be interesting to see your opinions on them by way of official review.

Keep up the great work, guys! So... Are you going to do anything special for Jessica's 50th episode? (ep. 62, right?)

EDIT: I am really hoping that RF2 will allow me to host a server where the clutch is mandatory (not able to shift without it, or at the very least a long delay when not using it). unlike rFactor now, where the clutch is not even needed.

Umm, untick the 'Auto Clutch' option in your dedicated server Dave....it's right next to 'Traction Control' level adjustment....but you can forget about anyone using a Momo or older wheel & pedal set :D

Umm, untick the 'Auto Clutch' option in your dedicated server Dave....it's right next to 'Traction Control' level adjustment....but you can forget about anyone using a Momo or older wheel & pedal set :D

That's the general idea... racing people with similar hardware, and skills. ;)