Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Indy 500 THe Evolution, F1 Champ Edition, Buttkicker Gamer 2

19 posts in this topic

In this episode we cover Indy 500 Evolution for the xbox 360, Formula One Championship Edition for the PS3, We review the Buttkicker Gamer2, in additon to our first Top Sim Car shootout featuring the Caterham for Live for Speed, RFactor and GTR Evo.

Agreed, another enjoyable episode. You guys just keep getting better.

As someone who has raced both the RFactor and GTR Evo versions of the Caterham I found your three way comparison very intesting, and enjoyable, thank you....agree on the result (though have not tried the LFS version).

Thanks for the effort you guys put in, much appreciated.

Really enjoyed this one too! The review of F1 Champ Edition was of particular interest as I picked it up after hearing a bunch of talk about it on the site. The buttkicker looks cool too!...a consideration for a future upgrade. It is disappointing that Indy 500 didn't turn out better..

I've always wondered what was up with the LFS caterhams, it never occurred to me to try a different setup. the other LFS cars are at least semi-decent out the box, but those are un-drivable! threw in the towel ages ago, probably time to get back in the ring with one. Man those F1 ce rain effects are something special, not seen any thing come that close to reality in a game. that's the exact view I get through my helmet visor riding the bike in sunny 'ol England (apart from the F1 car ahead of course :D)

Another great episode from you! I liked the Caterham comparsion, good job ;)

Edit: By the way, the Caterham spelling reminded me the Jeff Dunham's show... just like "It's Cateram." - "No, it's Caterham ham ham haaaam. It's the other white meat."

Thanks for another great episode.

Concerning F1 CE, I really want to warm up to this sim, but with my G25 connected to my PS3, the steering forces seem to be reversed of how they should be IRL. In particular at the center, the steering gets twitchier and requires more force, the opposite of what one would expect. The car doesn't feel like it wants to be there, like it wants to be right or left, but certainly not in the middle. This makes it very hard to drive smoothly. If you didn't know better, you would think that you are using a game pad. Anyone else feel this? Otherwise, it's a really cools sim. Love the career mode.

Concerning the Buttkicker, it's the one peripheral that compels my wife want to kick mine. Nothing draws her to the man pit like me thrashing a Shelby Daytona Coupe with the butt kicker going for some reason :mrgreen:

Great episode! I have the Buttkicker Gamer 2 on my new sim rig. It works great! My only problem now is the the wife says that it shakes the ceiling in the living room when I use it. My rig is upstairs right above it. I guess I'm going to have to figure out some way to insulate the bottom side of my rigs base platform.

Thanks for another great episode.

Concerning F1 CE, I really want to warm up to this sim, but with my G25 connected to my PS3, the steering forces seem to be reversed of how they should be IRL. In particular at the center, the steering gets twitchier and requires more force, the opposite of what one would expect. The car doesn't feel like it wants to be there, like it wants to be right or left, but certainly not in the middle. This makes it very hard to drive smoothly. If you didn't know better, you would think that you are using a game pad. Anyone else feel this? Otherwise, it's a really cools sim. Love the career mode.

Concerning the Buttkicker, it's the one peripheral that compels my wife want to kick mine. Nothing draws her to the man pit like me thrashing a Shelby Daytona Coupe with the butt kicker going for some reason :mrgreen:

In my opinion F1 CE has one of the best force feedback and overall wheel feel. Try to switch off all aid maybe this will help you. No racing game which I owe a lot come close to the forcefeedback of that in F1 CE and driving precision if you want, in no other game a slight and swift movement of the wheel make your car react respectevly. Some may complain that its hard to get the feeling of loosing car through the wheel, yes its, but yet again its called simulation, hardly any one in reality can catch f1 car loosing control in a corner, its too much torgue and horsepower. All in all, if reading between strokes, I agree with F1 CE review, but the score, especially sim index could have been better, it just proofs that sim index is nothing short of a reduced version of general index, which tell you absolutely nothing weather the game is true sim or not, dirt2 got high score compared to f1ce which is strange to me. Yet again i agree with you guys that this i s probably one of the best f1 game regardless of platform but why low scores? And I noticed u reviewed F1 Ce driving cockpit, try roof cam, its much more pleasant to drive and braking points become more obvious. And I also want to add that only this game's forcefeedback has 3d effect of rear tiers loosing greep especially on wet surface - u can literally feel it through the wheel. And I smiled at a comment concerning no tier sound. Guys its F1 game, u get tier sound when you overbrake or sliding in a wall not while cornering at a limit, it just dont happen in f1 :)

Great episode! I have the Buttkicker Gamer 2 on my new sim rig. It works great! My only problem now is the the wife says that it shakes the ceiling in the living room when I use it. My rig is upstairs right above it. I guess I'm going to have to figure out some way to insulate the bottom side of my rigs base platform.

A thick carpet would help with this, or do what I did. Create a platform to mount the rig on and lift it from the floor. My wife no longer feels the floor shake when I am racing :)

As usual, great episode guys - loved the "Shibami" effects, LOL...

I've only tried the Caterham in Race Pro, which I'll assume is the same model used in Evo, and honestly, I hated it! After your review, though, I think I owe it to myself to try it in Evo... Maybe the Race Pro version is just screwed up?

Anyway, I'm glad that I saw you Indy 500 review. I saw it the other day at Best Buy for $14.99, but I'm glad that I waited to see the review.

By the way, I couldn't read the source of the quote on Jessica's shirt (had to watch in 480p due to Internet bandwidth issues)... Who was it, anyway?

Oh, and Jessica, I love the latest 'do... It's nice to see you wearing your hair a little different each time. ;)

Loved the episode as usual. Was glad to see you guys got to review F1CE. That was probably the highlight of the duration I owned my PS3. That was also one of the great sims of my console career. I have transitioned into PC sims over the past month and I am hooked. Currently I am playing rFactor and iRacing. Hearing the Buttkicker review has made me add that to list list of future upgrades for my rig. Plan on getting an Obutto and use it without monitor stand to pull under my desk and definitely need to get a Buttkicker for that Obutto :D . Anyways, can't wait for this weeks show, and keep up the good work guys and girls.

and Trials HD...thats a bit of a stretch, but fun nonetheless.

Great show! I remember seeing video of F1CE at my local gamestop around the time it was released, and being blown away by the visuals. I just got a PS3 slim, and you guys have me anxious to get a copy..esp since its cheap now. I have a feeling the learning curve might be a bit much for me, but it will be fun to try at least.

I agree with your take on Indy 500 Evolution. For under $20, I wasnt expecting much. The history is about the coolest thing about the game. I too was very disappointed with the FF...maybe after seeing this review a better studio will be hired to make a more serious sequel. One can dream. I did see you guys in multiplayer and I should have sent a request to join not that it would have affected your score. Again great job with the show I look forward to the next!

Try to switch off all aid maybe this will help you.

You incorrectly assume that I use driving aids. As stated in the ISR review, the steering ratios seem incorrect for a wheel, and seem more suited to a gamepad. I'm not saying that the FFB effects are bad in F1CE, but that the steering ratios are perhaps a compromise. The ratios are ultra sensitive at the center, then roll off toward the edge. If I didn't prefer the ratio to be linear, I would prefer the opposite, lower ratio at the center, then slightly higher at the edge. The cars feel like there is too much tow-in, and frankly, it's been so long since I tried F1CE, I can't remember if I attempted to edit the default settings, if it is in fact tunable. Then it could just be my G25 or DFGT.

Had I not purchase GT5P, I thought it a limitation of the PS3 platform. IMO GT5P feels more accurate right out of the box. The title is far from perfect, including a most grievous lack of damage modeling, but at least it feels like it was designed to support a wheel rather than a gamepad. Anyway, these types of discussions will probably occur more frequently as console game developers strive to make their driving games more like simulations, and in turn traditional PC simmers try driving on consoles. I wonder which developer/publisher will get it right.

Good review of F1CE. It is, IMO, the most under-rated console sim out there. The online mode was unfortunately laggy, but due to the excellent AI & the depth of the career mode, the game has superb replay value even offline. I couldn't help noticing from the video clips that your driving sucked! ;) To be fair, this is a game that requires many, many hours of practice to get up to competitive speed on the Hard level.

The FFB is very good in F1CE, but I would agree the the steering feels a bit vague & it takes a lot of experience to learn where the limits of grip are because when the cars break away, it happens very suddenly. One other point about the FFB: I have noticed it is MUCH more convincing with a G25 than with a Fanatec wheel (I have a GT3 RS & G25) - the Fanatec's FFB is just too smooth & dampens the very immersive feel of the rattling & shaking that is present with the G25.

As far as the Buttkicker is concerned: it's a great product, but the the previous version of the BKG suffered from chronic amp failure - let's hope they've fixed the problem with the new amp ...

Maybe I'm just not cutout for sim racing. I agree with a previous comment, "I have a feeling the learning curve might be a bit much for me"; or perhaps I don't have enough patience. Felt like I was driving on ice. Wish there was a way to start in an easy mode and then incrementally learn to do better step by step. Hopefully F1 2010 will be better!