Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noob asks: Which G27 pedal mod?

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys, new member, first post! I'm about 99% new to sim racing. I say 99% because over the last 7-8 years I've proven to myself several times that you just can't operate a sim racing program with a gamepad. I tried GPL, RBR, and GTR2 ... and I suck at all of them LOL.

I'm wanting to give sim racing an honest chance without spending too much to start, so I'm probably going to order a G27 in the next few days. I could wait a little longer and get a T500 RS or Fanatec Clubsport setup, but for $220 the G27 looks like the best way to test the waters. Plus if I get more serious and buy something more upscale in the future, I'd have backup hardware in case of a problem.

But, while the G27 seems to be unanimously considered the best bang for the buck, it also seems unanimous that the brake pedal (at least) needs improvement. I'm aware of a number of options ... AP Electrix, ARC, GTEye, Nixim, Perfect Pedal, PTR ... have I missed any? The review videos here are helpful, but universally positive if you know what I mean. Which of these options for upgrading the brake pedal would you recommend? It seems to me anything costing over $100, you might as well hold out and spend the $250 on the Clubsport v2 pedals, so I'm leaning to the GTEye or Nixim.

Thanks for any help. I'll be posting more ignorant noob threads soon.  :mrgreen:

I am not much of a "sim racer" myself, but as a driving game enthusiast, I think a G27 is the place to start, especially if you are budget minded. I would think you would want to start with the more basic yet effective mods, like the Nixim or the GTEye myself, and see where it gets you. Plenty of guys never need to go further than that, although I bet even more stay stock.

I am not much of a "sim racer" myself, but as a driving game enthusiast, I think a G27 is the place to start, especially if you are budget minded. I would think you would want to start with the more basic yet effective mods, like the Nixim or the GTEye myself, and see where it gets you. Plenty of guys never need to go further than that, although I bet even more stay stock.

Yeah, I agree no point sinking a lot of money into something that didn't cost a lot of money to begin with ... I want to avoid the "$10 horse, $100 saddle" thing. In fact one of the reasons I'm not going for a better wheel/pedal set (I'm usually the type that buys the good stuff the first time) is because I watched this vid on youtube by a guy named Todd Bettenhausen - he might be a member here for all I know - that demonstrated pretty convincingly that a triple screen setup is perhaps the most important equipment "must", more important than higher-end hardware. (that video is

) I'm a long way from dropping that kind of money into this hobby, and I wanna be reeeeal sure it's important enough to me before I do.

After seeing in the ISR video review what eventually happens to that chunk of rubber in the Nixim mod (crumbles), I think I'll just go with GTEye if I decide to do something. I'll try the stock pedal for a while first though. 

You either have the choice of a heavier spring possibly with a foam insert, or A Load cell. They sell springs at the hardware store, you have to get a stiffer one but you can't get carried away they are still plastic parts inside that hold the spring. The load cell is a lot more expensive but a set of G-27 pedals with a load cell would probably be better than anyone elses pedals without. With a load cell braking is based on pressure instead of travel. If you are just getting started you might want to run the G-27 pedals stock for now and upgrade to a load cell in the future to help spread out the expense. It's good to tie down the pedal assembly so it isn't moving around while you drive. With a load cell it is even more important because the brake doesnt give and it moves them around easier than with stock pedals. do you have a rig already? if not and the pedals are just sitting on the floor in front of you you might be happier with the stock spring untill you get a rig so they can be tied down securily.

I would have to say go with the stock pedals at first.

Main concern right now would be more what racing sim software do you want to run to get a taste for it.

Keeping it cheap but good.........

Here are a few inexpensive sim titles that will get you started......

SimBin Race07 series with add on packs, you can also get Race Injection which is a mix or Race07 with parts of the add on packs. You can get this on Steam and is reletively inexpensive, the nice thing about these titles is they are a real sim but not a extremely difficult one so it's a good place to start just to get your feet wet, next on the list is rFactor, with all the free mods available for rFactor, you can run this thing for a very long time before you run out of cars and tracks to run with/on. Here, rFactor is a little more difficult to drive (depending on the mod) a little more involved.

I'd say start off with these 2 titles just to get a taste for sim racing with a wheel and pedals and see if you like it before even looking at iRacing, iRacing costs money, and depending on how deep you get into it, can cost a LOT of money.

Once you decide you like this hobby, then the sky's the limit, pedal mods, new wheels, new cockpits, iRacing, button boxes, triple monitors, you name it. But keep in mind, you don't really need all this stuff, you can keep it as simple as you want or go all out.

Welcome to and Enjoy your intro to sim racing. :)

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

I would suggest that you go with the Nixim mod. It's a big improvement over the stock pedal and yet it's inexpensive. You get the rubber insert and the  'correct' spring i.e. you don't have to search for something that will 'fit' and then find it's too weak or too strong. It's also easy to fit.

If you end up enjoying sim racing and spending more time with it then you can look at one of the more expensive alternatives in the future.

I've tried the gteye, nixim and apelectrix brake mods as well as the nixim clutch and accelerator spring mod.

I really liked the gteye as it offered a good upgrade for the price and stopped me locking up the brakes. But my absolute favourite is the apelectrix mod because it makes a huge difference giving you a load cell brake,instead of a potentiometer. I also recommend you look at the bodnar cable as it will increase the resolution of your g27 pedals.

I'm currently running the clutch nixim spring, the throttle nixim spring with the apelectrix brake mod coupled with a Bodnar cable. All in all, it has made a huge difference for me.

If anyone is interested I have a nixim brake spring that has hardly been used ( less than 1 days use) and a gteye spring that has had minimal use. If you are looking for one, then pm me with an offer.

I am now looking at stepping up to the t500 setup, so will most likely sell my pedals with mods, bodnar cable, wheel and shifter down the track if anyone is interested in them, send me a pm.

Note: I am based in Australia.

Hi had the arc which was pretty good and now if got the perfect pedal which is for me anyway even better than the clubsports. After all for the same price as csp's you are just getting one pedal but the feeling of pushing on a pedal with oil in it just feels so realsitic. If you don't want to spend more on one pedal than the entire wheel I don't blame you and in that case I would get the Nixim brake mod.

Guys I just found this video and I'm curious what any of you think of this idea. He's blocking the bottom of the narrower plastic spring tube with a bolt, then putting an o-ring on the outside of the tube to make an airtight pressure chamber. The stock spring stays in place, but you would get a progressive back-pressure as the pedal is depressed. As mods go it's as ghetto as it gets, but in practice who knows? Looks reversible, too. There are probably better ways of plugging the bottom of the tube than screwing a bolt into it, but I think it's a brilliant idea ... if the seal holds up with actual use.

(not sure about how to embed yt here yet. sorry) 

Yeah, I agree no point sinking a lot of money into something that didn't cost a lot of money to begin with ... I want to avoid the "$10 horse, $100 saddle" thing. In fact one of the reasons I'm not going for a better wheel/pedal set (I'm usually the type that buys the good stuff the first time) is because I watched this vid on youtube by a guy named Todd Bettenhausen - he might be a member here for all I know - that demonstrated pretty convincingly that a triple screen setup is perhaps the most important equipment "must", more important than higher-end hardware. (that video is

) I'm a long way from dropping that kind of money into this hobby, and I wanna be reeeeal sure it's important enough to me before I do.

After seeing in the ISR video review what eventually happens to that chunk of rubber in the Nixim mod (crumbles), I think I'll just go with GTEye if I decide to do something. I'll try the stock pedal for a while first though. 

Unless you already have a killer PC triples probably isn't the best bang for your buck.  I just set up my triples for the first time and as awesome as it is, even going fairly basic it is a pretty substantial investment. Assuming your base PC is good enough, it will cost you a few hundred for the graphics hardware, a couple hundred per screen and then whatever you mount them to, which can be as simple as a table or a fairly expensive stand or something inbetween. Even trying to keep it cheap I spent about $1000 on my triples rig. For basic, solid gameplay I think just having a dedicated monitor you can set up right at your wheel is more important tho... triples just ups the WOW factor!

When it comes to sinking money into your setup I say start with the wheel. My T500 RS, F1 wheel and TH8 shifter was about $600 and I really enjoy it. I have had basically all the Logitech FFB wheels, and I was happy with the G27. I don't think it is a bad wheel and it is absolutely the bang for your buck champ... but it isn't at the same level in terms of power or feel as the T500. So if you are an "upgrader" you might want to jump right into a better wheel from the get go. If you live near a Fry's and can get the T500 for $400... it would probably be a sound purchase.

YMMV of course, I sure am not at the level Todd is!!

Gunstar,

yeah I can do the math. Daunting costs, but at some point in the future, I'll have no problem with it. Now's not a good time though ... I made some MAJOR purchases last Christmas, and we've got a one-month trip to Japan scheduled in June. Four weeks in Tokyo with wife and kids = a quick way to make $20k or so disappear. I'm gonna be tapped out for a while after all this. So like I explained above, I think the G27 is enough to give me the chance, without dropping too many dollars, to see if I really get into this enough to justify larger investments.

Amazon's pricing is driving me up the wall. Two days ago the G27 was $218. I should've pulled the trigger, but I was waiting on a transfer from my paypal account back to our bank account to clear (we each have our personal slush fund for toys - helps prevent arguments). Then it jumped back up to $259. Then back down to $236. And now it's at $246. Four different prices in about 36 hours. I won't buy it until it comes back down again ... not because $35 or $40 is a big deal, but because $35 or $40 is a decent bottle of whiskey. It's the principle of the thing.

I'd still like to hear anyone's thoughts on that el cheapo air shock mod I linked in the video above.

Just to correct your comment there.

We had a few of the first Brake mods fail everyone knew about this and we offered no guarrantees for the product as it was sold cheaper than the postage and people were happy for it to work for as long as it did. Even then we still replaced a few free of charge if they failed unduly early.

And that is why we developed the second G27 mod which was altogether a different proposition. You are now paying for a proper product that carries a lifetime guarrantee.

To date after three years of sales and many thousands of customers we are not aware of one single buffer that has failed in the second version.

Dave

^^^

Or.... Get yerself some clubsports unless you have 1k to dump on some uber high end pedals. Don't get the thrustmaster if you already have a wheel, there are plenty of 3rd party pedal sets out there for cheaper.