VisionRacer VR3 complete with VR room
13 13

924 posts in this topic

congrats mcunkle, thats one damn fine set up, can you give me a little more detail on the hood, i want to make a black one for in car and a light blue one for open wheelers, lovin your work..(cant see your pc spec which i would be interested in)

congrats mcunkle, thats one damn fine set up, can you give me a little more detail on the hood, i want to make a black one for in car and a light blue one for open wheelers, lovin your work..(cant see your pc spec which i would be interested in)

Thanks ptux73.

I made the hood from display foam that I bought from Staples (only needed 1 display board), I started a thread a while back asking about screen hood options and LawnDart kindly provided me a template guide.  You can see the template and links to the display board on the following forum page: http://isrtv.com/forums/topic/6487-monitor-hoods-for-triples/

I made a mock-up first out of cardboard and it was pretty easy to build from there once you measure everything out. I sealed the joins on the inside using some carbon fiber vinyl wrap.  I also added some carbon fiber wrap to the end corners for additional protection, I use two small pieces of black velcro at each end to secure the hood to the monitors which allows me to re-adjust the hood when I need to without fear of damaging the hood.

I would without doubt recommend to everyone to build a hood as it makes a huge difference.

very clean setup , I love it , how do you mount the VR3 to the desk?

Thanks r0gu3

I bought some mending plates and bolted them to existing holes in the VR3 wheel plate.  The mending plates then extend outwards and upwards to underneath the desk which I then bolted through the entire desk by drilling four holes into the desk which most importantly allowed me to get rid of the center support.

post-8090-0-36776700-1396449596.jpg

Love it, very nice and clean.

Thanks Nate, wires are a curse with an open planned apartment, so a clean look was essential.

Next challenge is figuring out a full SimVibe setup and/or motion solution that keeps the clean look and has no wires all over the place, but that's for way way down the road.

Nice rig Mcunkle, they are as much fun building them as they are racing. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks left888, yeah it was a lot of fun doing the research and finding the different pieces that work well together.  No doubt I'll be suffering from withdrawal symptoms soon and will start thinking about the next upgrades.

I'm jealous of the guys who have the skills and the workshop to build their own custom high end rigs because I'm sure that would be a lot of fun.

"I'm jealous of the guys who have the skills and the workshop to build their own custom high end rigs because I'm sure that would be a lot of fun."

Hi, not that I want to convince you to start building a new rig - it's a really great setup you've got there :-) - but have you considered just doing the design and just get it welded together in a workshop?

I'm about to build a custom made rig myself and that's what some friends actually recommended and I do think that won't be more expensive than a VR3.

That's just on the side. I think it's a much better idea just enjoying your great rig anyway:-)

Ok Mcunkle. That is one fine setup. Never mind the attention to detail that takes countless hrs of love and devotion that one could never put a price tag on...that is a given. So beyond that, can you give us a running tabulation is US dollars as to what you have invested in that sweet little rig? Inquiring minds want to know! :eek:

Great job on the hood. It came out nice and clean. I agree with you that everyone should build one. They are really cheap to build and make a huge difference as you mentioned.

The whole rig came out really really nice! Congrats!

Ok Mcunkle. That is one fine setup. Never mind the attention to detail that takes countless hrs of love and devotion that one could never put a price tag on...that is a given. So beyond that, can you give us a running tabulation is US dollars as to what you have invested in that sweet little rig? Inquiring minds want to know! :eek:

Well I started completely from scratch (apart from the 5.1 system and Sennheiser digital wireless headphones) I didn't even have a PC that was capable of running iRacing.

I realized that you have a horn button in there (not that it is working but looks cool), any chance telling what it is called?

The horn came with the MOMO wheel (MOD 88) - it says MOMO Italy in silver and red lettering.  Unfortunately the DSD Adapter doesn't allow a horn to be inserted inside the adapter and the finish on one side of the adapter is poor, so when you fit the wheel to the adapter without the horn you see the scuffs and scratches on the DSD Adapter.  So I took the horn apart and stuck the front pieces of the horn directly  to the DSD adapter to give the wheel a much better looking finish.

Other options would be to buy a wheel that doesn't have a hole for the horn or buy a wheel plate.

Great job on the hood. It came out nice and clean. I agree with you that everyone should build one. They are really cheap to build and make a huge difference as you mentioned.

The whole rig came out really really nice! Congrats!

Thanks Lawndart, if you're ever in my neck of the woods I'll buy you a beer

Hi,

I just wanted to ask how you got you SRH tach, when I went to their website it said you could only pre-order it?

SimRacingHarware are a fantastic company, I was lucky enough to be one of the first to order the tach.  If you contact them directly or via their Facebook page they'll give you an estimate of how long it will take to complete your order but from what I've heard it should only take 2-3 weeks and will likely depend on how many pre-orders they've received since they build them in batches.

I think it's worth the wait and the price, it adds a lot to the immersion factor and it's not just a pretty add-on but it's also a useful driving aid, especially the shift light indicator.

The horn came with the MOMO wheel (MOD 88) - it says MOMO Italy in silver and red lettering.  Unfortunately the DSD Adapter doesn't allow a horn to be inserted inside the adapter and the finish on one side of the adapter is poor, so when you fit the wheel to the adapter without the horn you see the scuffs and scratches on the DSD Adapter.  So I took the horn apart and stuck the front pieces of the horn directly  to the DSD adapter to give the wheel a much better looking finish.

Other options would be to buy a wheel that doesn't have a hole for the horn or buy a wheel plate.

Ok thanks!

"Thirsty you should try playing about with the angle of the VR3 seat, I placed the back lower and the front higher and I found it gave me a more comfortable position than the higher setting at the back and lower at the front, I also slide the seat as close as possible to the pedals so that my knees fall just shy to the base of the T500."

Hi Mcunkle

Cheers for the advice.

I didn't wanna drift off too far with this over there on the CSL topic so I moved it over here:-)

I wasn't actually able to use the bottom hole of the seat support plates at the back in order to tilt it further back because there was that plastic thing around the belt hole of the seat in the way.

It probably would have been possible to take that thing out somehow, but I didn't think it would make too much of a difference so I didn't try that. Don't know, maybe that would have worked for me too. I would try if I still had it, but it's sold.

I used a big towel to get more cushioning and a lumbar support cushion, but then I didn't have enough leg support on the seat anymore. Bucket seats don't work for me I guess.

It's not that I didn't do enough research before I purchased the VR3. All reviewers and users are praising the very comfortable seat of the VR3. So something must be wrong with me;-)

"Thirsty you should try playing about with the angle of the VR3 seat, I placed the back lower and the front higher and I found it gave me a more comfortable position than the higher setting at the back and lower at the front, I also slide the seat as close as possible to the pedals so that my knees fall just shy to the base of the T500."

Hi Mcunkle

Cheers for the advice.

I didn't wanna drift off too far with this over there on the CSL topic so I moved it over here:-)

I wasn't actually able to use the bottom hole of the seat support plates at the back in order to tilt it further back because there was that plastic thing around the belt hole of the seat in the way.

It probably would have been possible to take that thing out somehow, but I didn't think it would make too much of a difference so I didn't try that. Don't know, maybe that would have worked for me too. I would try if I still had it, but it's sold.

I used a big towel to get more cushioning and a lumbar support cushion, but then I didn't have enough leg support on the seat anymore. Bucket seats don't work for me I guess.

It's not that I didn't do enough research before I purchased the VR3. All reviewers and users are praising the very comfortable seat of the VR3. So something must be wrong with me;-)

Yeah we are all different and have different requirements so I think no rig will ever be perfect and it's especially tough to find what works for you when you are first starting out but thankfully we've got this forum to avoid some of the pitfalls.

You should post some pics of your custom rig Thirsty, I'm very interested to see it.

EDIT: Never mind Thirsty I just see that you've posted some pics - looking very nice and comfy too, your backside will be happy.

So for those interested I've added some additions to my rig that I really think have finished it off nicely - see the first post on this thread with updates and new photos.

The most important update of all was the beer holder  :cool:

I really can't think of anything else I want on my rig other than motion and the new Thrustmaster brake mod that's coming out.