Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New topics for Opinion Nation

33 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Thought I would start a new thread to get some suggestions for future topics. Once we have them, we will start a new thread and then use your opinions on the next show. 

So.. What would you like discussed ?? Also going to start a separate thread on "Who would you like to see on ON"

I would like to see opinions on the responsibilities of back marker drivers (lapped cars) as i have been taken out of contention in races due to back markers holding me up and in some cases crashed into me.

I do not know the penalty for crashing into a car that you have to let past as i have never done it. I always leave room and respect that im not racing them.

thanks 

1) I posted in the other thread (mental preparedness thread) about drinking and sim-racing... I think that one is a topic that people have pretty strong opinions about (I've seen it discussed in the iRacing forums as well).

2) Using exploits in sim-racing. This one has been a topic discussed for years in sim-racing circles. I am not talking about outright cheating (altering code or running supplemental programs that obviously circumvent rules). There are certain things in every sim that are not realistic, and could even be considered cheating by many. I'm going to use iRacing as an example, since that is the one I'm most familiar with. One exploit that comes to mind is the "Q-Donuts" exploit that used to exist in iRacing, specifically at the restrictor-plate tracks where drivers would do donuts in the grass prior to qualifying, then turn lap times significantly faster. The one that currently exists on iRacing is doing a burnout prior to qualifying. iRacing has taken a stance to say any of these exploits are illegal, but some drivers take the stance that if you can get away with it without penalty, it's okay (comparing it to areas that real race teams exploit rules, and get away with it until wording in the rulebook is changed). Other sims have had issues with course-cutting to gain time where the sim doesn't catch, using the wall near the end of laps to gain time, etc... people that currently driver whichever sim they choose probably know about any exploits that people get away with using.

- Forum conduct within the sim racing community.

- Voice chat conduct during practice/races.

- Should faster racers feel a responsibility to reach out to slower drivers to help them in the interest of fostering a sense of community?

What do you do to unwind after a race, especially if it was a mentally taxing one? (Flipping the prepare for a race on it's head, I think an equally interesting topic.)

I immerse myself in analyzing the telemetry I recorded during the race. One way or the other it settles me down from the rush of racing. 

I would like you to talk about expectations of other drivers and why they don't matter.  Everyone has an opinion of how others should race based on whatever criteria but in the end they will race how they wish.

Example 1.  Everyone complains about lapped cars and how they shouldn't race.  I was in a Chicago race a couple years ago and my internet dropped and by the time I got back in the server I was 3 laps down.  I raced my tail off and because I was fast some drivers stayed out on yellows just keep me down.  With two caution periods that I was able to stay out I raced back to the lead lap by passing the leader with like 10 laps to go.  In my opinion they have the same right to race as anyone else.

Example 2.  Everyone complains about drivers being too aggressive in the beginning of the race.  Its their race to race how they wish.  Wrecks happen, people like to race hard at different points during the race so they will have a chance in the end.

Example 3.  This has happened to me a lot.  If I pass on the inside on an oval track and the outside car/truck comes off the corner in the 2nd lane from the wall instead of the top lane I usually run into them.  This is me saying you have room to the outside and if you don't use it then, well, we will collide because I am aiming for the 2nd lane from the wall.  I understand that the passing car is responsible for a safe pass but even with triple screens I can't see where the other car is going to come off the corner.  I am not going to assume that he is always going to cut me a lane short either.

Another topic: Do you think products like Oculus Rift are going to permanently change the landscape of sim-racing? What do you think its impact will be on sim-racing in the near future, and in the more distant future?

I would like to see opinions on the responsibilities of back marker drivers (lapped cars) as i have been taken out of contention in races due to back markers holding me up and in some cases crashed into me.

I do not know the penalty for crashing into a car that you have to let past as i have never done it. I always leave room and respect that im not racing them.

thanks 

I'd like to see iRacing implement slow down black flags for cars who ignore the blue flags after so many laps/corners in a similar way to F1. 

I've had a number of problems with lapped traffic who are oblivious that you are behind them. While I don't expect them to get out of the way and change their racing line I do expect them to lift off coming out or into a corner so that I can overtake safely.

It's even worse when two lapped cars are ahead and are fighting each other as it makes if very difficult to overtake safely and the car that's doing the lapping shouldn't have to take risks.

How about qualifying in iRacing - should they enforce qualifying for races if your license is at a certain level?  This would reduce the mixed grids that we see that often is the cause of first corner incidents. 

In F1 you will find that the races that have a first corner incident is usually because someone is out of position or has a poor start.

How about the new trend towards paying good money for Beta versions of Sims/games. rFactor2 comes to mind, been a year I paid and still waiting for the finished sim with all the real content. This title seems to be nowhere near completed as far as I can tell. This was a lesson for myself..... don't pay for beta versions of anything, beta tests should be free to those chosen to beta test, only final, finished products should ask for money. Lesson learned, what would be other views on this subject since this pay to beta test seems to be a new trend that is growing! :(

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

1) I posted in the other thread (mental preparedness thread) about drinking and sim-racing... I think that one is a topic that people have pretty strong opinions about (I've seen it discussed in the iRacing forums as well).

2) Using exploits in sim-racing. This one has been a topic discussed for years in sim-racing circles. I am not talking about outright cheating (altering code or running supplemental programs that obviously circumvent rules). There are certain things in every sim that are not realistic, and could even be considered cheating by many. I'm going to use iRacing as an example, since that is the one I'm most familiar with. One exploit that comes to mind is the "Q-Donuts" exploit that used to exist in iRacing, specifically at the restrictor-plate tracks where drivers would do donuts in the grass prior to qualifying, then turn lap times significantly faster. The one that currently exists on iRacing is doing a burnout prior to qualifying. iRacing has taken a stance to say any of these exploits are illegal, but some drivers take the stance that if you can get away with it without penalty, it's okay (comparing it to areas that real race teams exploit rules, and get away with it until wording in the rulebook is changed). Other sims have had issues with course-cutting to gain time where the sim doesn't catch, using the wall near the end of laps to gain time, etc... people that currently driver whichever sim they choose probably know about any exploits that people get away with using.

+1

I'd like to see iRacing implement slow down black flags for cars who ignore the blue flags after so many laps/corners in a similar way to F1. 

I've had a number of problems with lapped traffic who are oblivious that you are behind them. While I don't expect them to get out of the way and change their racing line I do expect them to lift off coming out or into a corner so that I can overtake safely.

It's even worse when two lapped cars are ahead and are fighting each other as it makes if very difficult to overtake safely and the car that's doing the lapping shouldn't have to take risks.

Good suggestion but i think there should be at least a drive through penalty for ignoring overtake flags. Especially if you cause a collision.

In the case of 2 back markers fighting each other for position, shouldn't they be keen to get you past as fast as possible in the hope that the car ahead is held up more by the faster car getting past. 

I think it should be a carbon copy of F1 rules when it comes to lapped cars and at least some respect that the faster guy could be challenging for a win. 

It's unfortunate to be lapped but it happens to everyone if there is an uncontrollable incident but instead of taking it out on the field just drive out a clean rest of the race and salvage your safety rating

Good suggestion but i think there should be at least a drive through penalty for ignoring overtake flags. Especially if you cause a collision.

In the case of 2 back markers fighting each other for position, shouldn't they be keen to get you past as fast as possible in the hope that the car ahead is held up more by the faster car getting past. 

I think it should be a carbon copy of F1 rules when it comes to lapped cars and at least some respect that the faster guy could be challenging for a win. 

It's unfortunate to be lapped but it happens to everyone if there is an uncontrollable incident but instead of taking it out on the field just drive out a clean rest of the race and salvage your safety rating

I think the lapped car rules should mimic the actual real series being simulated. Most racing series treat lapped drivers differently, so forcing just one series rules onto everyone removes the simulation aspect from the game. Does NASCAR require the lapped driver to move over? I have never seen this, so can only imagine the mayhem that would cause. Race to the real series rules and everyone knows what to expect. 

I think the lapped car rules should mimic the actual real series being simulated. Most racing series treat lapped drivers differently, so forcing just one series rules onto everyone removes the simulation aspect from the game. Does NASCAR require the lapped driver to move over? I have never seen this, so can only imagine the mayhem that would cause. Race to the real series rules and everyone knows what to expect. 

Just to be clear I don't expect lapped cars to move over as that can cause just as many problems. I expect them to slow down a little on the straight or coming into or out of a corner.

Yes i absolutely agree. i suppose i was thinking more on the road racing side of things as oval racing isn't very prominent in the UK

How about a road versus oval show. If you are looking to create discussion, this topic seems never ending. Also how about adding something where you follow a few everyday sim racers. Say a hardcore racer, a whatever whenever and someone kinda fresh. Have video themselves and their daily lives and racing routines. Kinda a Keeping up with the Kardashians for sim racers. Great new show by the way, just needs more interaction from the sim racers out there.

Which seat to choose for rig - "race" seat for immersion or comfortable seat that makes long races more enjoyable

Or in general - immersion vs performance (manual gearbox with clutch pedal vs paddle shifter, etc), which is more important in simracing

How about; where do we see SimRacing going in 10 years, do you think it will continue to try and replicate current motorsports as it changes along with public perception and demands or will SimRacing be better served looking back and replicating classic motorsports?

How about as a topic. is offline racing against the AI dying out.  Although most forums cater to online racing there are still plenty of people who don't race online.

I have to say that when I started iRacing, it would have been helpful to have a group of people or a detailed manual to help you understand the setup making portion of most cars, rather than the constant, "Screw you!" attitude that most will display.  A good question to ask is, would be better for the community as a whole to have a handful of people help newbies when they come into the fold or are they best left alone?  I see this often in iRacing.  I don't ask for someone's setup, ever..that is kinda an unwritten rule, but when I do get lost and don't have an answer, it would be nice to have somebody or a group of people that would be willing to help.  I have worked hard on one specific car in iRacing and have started to help people understand that car more.  I just hope to see more than just one or two people helping everyone.  The greater question here, is that has the community as a whole turned into a bunch of snobs that don't want new competition?  I know that once you get into the NASCAR (Class C and above) oval classes, when you ask a question about the setup, more than three people will chime in with, "It's not the setup, it's the driver." Also, those people will say pretty mean stuff about those people who ask questions....I stopped running the upper classes for that reason right there.  It's just not fun to me to deal with those people...they really ruin the experience.