Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

power supply

5 posts in this topic

If the wheel can be turned off separately, it won't hurt the wheel to leave it plugged in. However, if a power supply is warm, even when it's not connected to anything, it's drawing power. If you unplug it every time, you'll save electricity, and likely prolong the life of the power supply. Every time I finished using my DFGT or G27, I'd pull the power cord out of the power supply.

Ideally though, you should buy an inline rocker switch so you're not wearing out the cords, or route your electronics to be powered down through a good power strip with a reliable switch.

I had a Microsoft wheel in the past (actually two of them), and one time I forgot to turn it off. The next morning, I discovered it was still on, and the wheel was vibrating, not from the vibration motors, but from the force feedback motor. The next week, the wheel went completely dead while I was using it. Fortunately, Microsoft exchanged it for a new one.

I've been finding myself thinking more and more environmentally. It helps to save in the wallet to. I've been looking at surge protectors with switches like this one lately... http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/583927/Tripp-Lite-ECO-SURGE-TLP76MSG-7

If you can help it, leave the wheel plugged in and if you really want to turn it off, find a solution like that surge protector. Belkin also has some small individual adapters with switches on them as well.