Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rFactor2 First Impression

40 posts in this topic

Been watching the progress of rF2. Build 146 came out, so I decided to give it

a try. I've been sim racing for 10+ years now on the PC, have used all the 

hardcore sim titles over the years, not much into the arcade racers. Currently 

running iRacing. Been testing RRE some, and it is fairly impressive, but I'm 

not sure the sim will take off, they let down a lot of Simbin fans that were waiting 

for news of GTR3. And like a lot of you, I'm waiting for the release of

Assetto Corsa, with high expectations.

But back to rF2. I ran it over the weekend, and I'll have to say that I am 

impressed. They have come a long way with physics and FFB since the 

rF1 days. One of my main issues with rF1 was grip, always felt like there

wasn't any on the original content. A lot of the mods were better. rF2 feels

on par or better to what GSC is. I think the ISI team is going in the right 

direction with the sim, but I really hope they polish up the graphics a 

bit. I don't care about it looking like pCars, which I don't really care for

anyway, but rF2 with graphics close to iRacing, and they would have a 

winner for sure.

If you haven't tried it out yet, try it. Nothing to lose, they have a 30 day 

refund policy.

It's been a while since I tried rF2, last build I ran I wasn't to impressed. Definitely iRacing is still the best racer on the planet. I think there are a lot of us here that are of the same opinion as you. We all want to see what Assetto Corsa has to offer. I too am not a fan of pCARS, it looks like an arcade game with splashes of sim in it. If they could fix those terrible physics it would be a start. I have grown tired of being a beta tester, rF2, pCARS and over the past 15 years with various software's. I just want to get the finished code and have at it. (lol) I think that is one of iRacing's strong point, week 13 they release an upgrade which is usually a nice surprise?

The new build is good, I love it good ffb, good online play, but not much activity on the servers at the moment, I think they are working on the game rather than the eye candy hopefully that will come. Starting to get more content  but a bit thin at the moment. The rfactor community seems a bit slow to get on-board making mods, and some seem to be looking in to turning it in to a business, by looking to charge for the mods that normally would have been freely shared with other enthusiast's in the past. It has unusual packaging, you can't just take any car to any track ( very annoying) it has to be included in the mod or you have to make a custom mod including the tracks and car you want, this is done in the name of solving the trouble of mismatches. you can buy a life time licence for under $100 instead of Constance fees which is good. The people that bought 12 month licences during the beta were told once it went gold they would get twelve months from then, which was announced  at the beginning of the year and the forum changed from rfactor2 beta to rfactor2, so it could be considered as released?

I like it, and have hope it will develop more and the modding community will continue to grow to be like rfactor1. I hope it doesn't turn in to some thing that you have to keep paying out for more content.

The only reason most modders have been giving their work away free all these years is because they had to.It's called licensing or rather lack of it.That's why there are copyrights in place,to stop people from profiting off of someone's property without consent.That consent comes with a cost.Now they appear to be looking at different ways to profit including sites where you need to pay to belong so you can download the free mods.

Interesting thoughts and reply's here.I used to run out and grab every sim that came down the pike and have a drive full of sims + mods I don't use to prove it.(100's of tracks and a 1000 cars)I have 29 cars in my iRacing folder and maybe drive 5 of them with short forays into some of the others on occasion for poops and giggles.Now that I'm starting to actually race again I need to concentrate on 1 car only if I want to do any good.

I wasn't that interested in rF2 because I thought the consensus was that the grfx were ahead of iRacings some what antiquated graphics but the physics were lacking in comparison to iRacing.I never liked rF1 because of the reasons Jeff posted and a few others so I'm  biased that way too.

I'm getting better with the beta concept because like iRacing they will need to constantly upgrade if they're expecting to keep up.rF1 had how many updates over its long life?1?

I should go DL rF2 and give it a 1 month look and form my own opinion I suppose if you're agreeing the physics are good.I won't get into why I will stay were I am rant but this would only be a quick look I'm quite sure.

EDIT:I didn't notice in my initial read here but caught it at the rF2 site.I have to pay to try it then get a refund if I don't like it.I don't disagree with this policy but it's a hassle for me all the same when I all I want to do is satisfy a curiosity with no intend of staying.

Agreed - RFactor 2 is currently the best driving sim experience by far IMO.

Couldn't agree more.

The only reason most modders have been giving their work away free all these years is because they had to.It's called licensing or rather lack of it.That's why there are copyrights in place,to stop people from profiting off of someone's property without consent.That consent comes with a cost.Now they appear to be looking at different ways to profit including sites where you need to pay to belong so you can download the free mods.

Interesting thoughts and reply's here.I used to run out and grab every sim that came down the pike and have a drive full of sims + mods I don't use to prove it.(100's of tracks and a 1000 cars)I have 29 cars in my iRacing folder and maybe drive 5 of them with short forays into some of the others on occasion for poops and giggles.Now that I'm starting to actually race again I need to concentrate on 1 car only if I want to do any good.

I wasn't that interested in rF2 because I thought the consensus was that the grfx were ahead of iRacings some what antiquated graphics but the physics were lacking in comparison to iRacing.I never liked rF1 because of the reasons Jeff posted and a few others so I'm  biased that way too.

I'm getting better with the beta concept because like iRacing they will need to constantly upgrade if they're expecting to keep up.rF1 had how many updates over its long life?1?

I should go DL rF2 and give it a 1 month look and form my own opinion I suppose if you're agreeing the physics are good.I won't get into why I will stay were I am rant but this would only be a quick look I'm quite sure.

EDIT:I didn't notice in my initial read here but caught it at the rF2 site.I have to pay to try it then get a refund if I don't like it.I don't disagree with this policy but it's a hassle for me all the same when I all I want to do is satisfy a curiosity with no intend of staying.

To be honest if you go in with that attitude you might as well not waste your time. You'll pretty much be looking for something to go wrong and with every sim on the market there's something wrong. I can create a laundry list of problems in rFactor 2, rFactor1, iRacing, pCars etc......

I go into each sim hopeful and let the sim speak for itself. I couldn't wait to get into iRacing when the promo came up. Unfortunately it didn't live up to anywhere near the hype for myself. Project Cars physics hasn't either, RaceRoom..... not even going there. rFactor2 has a ton of work still needs to be done but when I'm on that track nothing touches it.

Hi T.o.

I think you touched on a subject that is so very true regarding anything in life.... The Hype of anything.

When people "Hype" things, be it a Sim, a Movie, a car, etc..... people listening automatically get very high expectations of this thing and when they see it, try it they are expecting something amazing and are then let down by the product not living up the their expectations due to all the "Hype". So many movies I've watched were ruined because of "Hype", I was expecting "WOW" and got "not bad" or "That's it?".

iRacing suffers from this "Hype" a lot, I too was expecting something amazingly fantastic when I first signed up and was let down since I didn't think it lived up to the expectations I had set in my mind due to all the "Hype".

I'm still on iRacing even though I don't use it that much, still a rookie and don't really have that much interest to move on beyond that. It's one of those cases I was expecting "WOW" and I got "It's okay but nothing fantastic"

The more something gets "hyped" the better the chances are that anyone trying it will be disapointed.

Word of mouth is good, Hype isn't always.

Just my view on the subject.

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

Hi T.o.

I think you touched on a subject that is so very true regarding anything in life.... The Hype of anything.

When people "Hype" things, be it a Sim, a Movie, a car, etc..... people listening automatically get very high expectations of this thing and when they see it, try it they are expecting something amazing and are then let down by the product not living up the their expectations due to all the "Hype". So many movies I've watched were ruined because of "Hype", I was expecting "WOW" and got "not bad" or "That's it?".

iRacing suffers from this "Hype" a lot, I too was expecting something amazingly fantastic when I first signed up and was let down since I didn't think it lived up to the expectations I had set in my mind due to all the "Hype".

I'm still on iRacing even though I don't use it that much, still a rookie and don't really have that much interest to move on beyond that. It's one of those cases I was expecting "WOW" and I got "It's okay but nothing fantastic"

The more something gets "hyped" the better the chances are that anyone trying it will be disapointed.

Word of mouth is good, Hype isn't always.

Just my view on the subject.

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

As someone that has been on iRacing for a few years I can tell you that you cant judge that sim by the rookie class racing.  Treat the cars with red bumpers around you the same as you would a student driver on the road....what a mess.   Depending on whether you like to race ovals or road courses the quality of driver (in most cases) goes up quite a bit and the races are much more fun.  Sure you will still see some bonehead moves but in general people seem to be a bit more careful.

I agree with you about things being hyped up to a point they cant possibly deliver but iRacing, in my opinion, is the best sim available at this point and it isnt even close.  Stay with it and get out of the rookie classes and you will see.

I tried rf2 in beta.  My biggest gripe was with the input lag of my wheel.  I could make the action with the wheel, and the car would take notice half a second to a second later.  I tried to fix it, but I couldn't cope with it, so I sent for a refund.

Now it appears that rf2 is out of beta, as they don't refer to it being "beta" anymore.  If it is true that rFactor 2 is out of beta, I would have expected a LOT more noise than subtle changes on their website.

I think rfactor2 devs dropped the ball this time around, physics are great sure but the graphics are so dated and it doesn't matter how good your hardware is, rFactor2 will always run bad as it is running an old graphics sub system and the current influx of great titles has left ISI running on flat tyres.

rFactor2 has has turned into NKPro, niche and while having a place it is not in the future.

For me it's not FPS, it's that I don't feel that the graphics in rF2
are up to par with the other new sims coming out. rF2 is a vast 
improvement from rF1 in all aspects execpt graphics. The physics, ffb, 
AI are very nice, but when I look at the sim, it doesn't jump out to
me like iRacing, AC, pCars, or even GSC does. I feel as though I'm still 
looking at rF1 graphics wise. I know a lot of racers are more concerned
about feel, but if I compare rF2 to a new sim that has good physics and 
graphics that give me the (wow, this looks way better than the previous
ver) as AC does comparing to NKPRO, then I would have to go with AC.
I'm not knocking what ISI has done in rF2, and it is still beta, I just 
would have liked to have seen them move to Directx11 and give us the 
WOW factor with the graphics to compliment the rest of the sim.

I have a good feeling about the rF2 graphics. It has made a lot of improvement in the time the beta has been out. I think basically it is not a Problem of the detail in game, but a problem of lightning, coloring, some bad textures next to some good and shader adjustment.

Just have a look at this unedited shot that a user posted at the ISI Forum. I think that doesn't look too bad!

grab010id.jpg

I don't get why people are griping about the graphics. They are really nice. I like the look. And if the complaint it fps, IT'S A BETA!

@kemo It's not out of beta.

See this page: http://web.archive.org/web/20121023201754/http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/

Now see this page: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/

Difference? 

First link states: The second installment in the rFactor series is currently in

development. You can find out some information and see some

work-in-progress information in the Dev Corner, or you can get involved with testing (purchase required).

Second link  states: The second installment in the rFactor series is now available. You can

find out some information and see some work-in-progress information in

the Dev Corner, or you can get involved now with this constantly evolving product.

We'll neither sim is perfect but if each was a horse (or car :-P ) which would you bet on to make it to the finishing line first.  My money is one iRacing, it's got the cash and business model to constantly improve the most over time.  It knows where its faults are and they are working hard to improve them with frequent updates.  

The biggest issue with iRacing right now is that the more popular it becomes and the bigger the updates become the increasing chances are of the dreaded "system maintenance" downtime that we've been seeing recently.

I'm pretty sure the graphics will get better over time. You gotta remember that rFactor2 has dynamic and progressing weather and time of day. It's pretty easy to tweak graphics when it's one set time of day the whole race as in the case of iRacing. As far as graphics it's odd but most everyone who has actually played rFactor2 say the same thing, when you're actually racing the graphics seem to "make sense" or "fit". I have said this from day one with rfactor 2. Generally when it comes to replays and such rF2 is not the prettiest chick at the ball but when you're actually racing , especially from cockpit view, it seems to work.

my first impressions are a bit of a bummer as it locks up my computer pretty much every race or replay.  i configure my wheel correctly (fanatic gt2) looks good on screen (turn left and ya see the graph go to the left, same with right)... pull out on track and the car just darts hard left like i'm cranking the wheel left.  so far rFactor 2 [to me] sucks just like rFactor 1 did....

I just played the rFactor 2 demo for the first time.  Really disappointed to see it's still stuck on DX9 graphics.  I don't really want to pay full ticket price (wouldn't buy yearly, too expensive for life-time) for something that hasn't been completely modernized.

I'll probably keep an eye out for Assetto Corsa for highly moddable gaming.  Never played nkPro, but this is looking impressive, and I love the 'indie' feel of Kunos.  Also Project CARS is on the radar, however didn't like any of the previous titles by Slightly Mad.

RFactor 2 is amazing, in my opinion the best sim currently available in terms of pure overall physics/vehicle dynamics. The only sim I see possibly matching (or even beating) RFactor 2 in terms of pure overall driving physics/vehicle dynamics, is possibly Assetto Corsa. IRacing, due to its constant updates every 3 months, will probably always be up there in the top few sims as well, but I dont think its as good as RFactor 2 (again, in terms of pure driving physics/vehicle dynamics, and FFB as well) since well over a year now.

The rack rubbering system is still getting udated (everything about RFactor 2 is, ISI will be updating it for years to come), but once the track is rubbered in, and you are playing with high framerates (id shoot for 120 fps, or at least 90, v-sync OFF) RFactor 2's driving physics, and its FFB as well, are AMAZING. Not perfect though, no sim is, but overall I think easily the best today.  I honestly get bored of IRacing when I try it now, it just feels very..."meh"...i don't know, boring, dull, compared to RFactor 2.

I just played the rFactor 2 demo for the first time.  Really disappointed to see it's still stuck on DX9 graphics.  I don't really want to pay full ticket price (wouldn't buy yearly, too expensive for life-time) for something that hasn't been completely modernized.

I'll probably keep an eye out for Assetto Corsa for highly moddable gaming.  Never played nkPro, but this is looking impressive, and I love the 'indie' feel of Kunos.  Also Project CARS is on the radar, however didn't like any of the previous titles by Slightly Mad.

Project Cars looks just about exactly the same in DX11 as it does in DX9.  Visual wise, there isnt much difference, not yet at least.  Look at comparison pictures of Project Cars, or almost any other game in any other genre , DX11 vs DX9, most of them, if not all of them, look almost identical when comparing themselves to eachother in DX11 vs DX9 mode.  Behind the scenes, technically speaking, there definitely is an advantage to DX11, for sure.  ISI will be using DX11 eventually they already said so, however I think they are doing just fine for now.  Plus, RFactor 2 in live gameplay looks and feels VERY immersive.  ISI will be updating RFactor 2 for years, its just going to get more amazing, plus it only costs a one time $85.00 payment for life, and its already, in my opinion, the best sim out there in terms of pure driving, which is where...lets face it...where we get all the enjoyment out of these sims, we buy them for the driving.

PCars is not in the same league as RFactor 2/Assetto Corsa/IRacing

You shouldn't be so quick to judge, plus, RFactor 2 doesn't currently look too bad ;)

post-13997-0-37983300-1373895998_thumb.jpost-13997-0-88478700-1373896024_thumb.jpost-13997-0-90353100-1373896021_thumb.jpost-13997-0-54395400-1373896018_thumb.jpost-13997-0-45406900-1373896014_thumb.jpost-13997-0-85792600-1373896010_thumb.jpost-13997-0-64052400-1373895963_thumb.jpost-13997-0-65268400-1373896001_thumb.jpost-13997-0-43475600-1373896004_thumb.jpost-13997-0-97937300-1373896006_thumb.j

The next official track planned for release from ISI/for RFactor 2 is Autodromo di Mores, and its looking not too shabby either 

post-13997-0-83949300-1373895905_thumb.jpost-13997-0-64052400-1373895963_thumb.jpost-13997-0-57555900-1373895936_thumb.jpost-13997-0-18282000-1373895940_thumb.jpost-13997-0-62918900-1373895957_thumb.jpost-13997-0-71115800-1373895946_thumb.jpost-13997-0-79608500-1373895943_thumb.jpost-13997-0-84683400-1373895951_thumb.j