Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sim Bin Race 07 Series Scored / Virtual RC / Sim Tutorials

35 posts in this topic

This show covers Virtual RC where RC racing meets simulated racing on the PC. We also combine 4 different titles from Simbin and score them against the rest of the racing sims out there. Including Race 07, GTR Evolution, STCC and Race On. We also unveil our new sim index scoring. For all of the beginning sim racers we have sim racing tutorials, letting you know what sims have the best racing schools built in. And if that wasn't enough we also have another installment of Top Simulation Cars of all time.

Hi guys, nice reviews but getting a little bit boring - all this pc sims, stupid mods for them etc., pick up something from console world please, something sim like, something that is not forza3, something from ps3 for equilibrium sake :D . I offered already to pick up cars from F1 ce and prologue, no matter that prologue has got no damage or skins, still interesting to hear your opinions when it comes to physics (the most important thing, right?) of these games!!!! I bet you are gonna be surprised by F1 CE physics - damage, part failures, part wear, fuel usage, dynamic weather, completely customisable car settings, unbeatable AI when on hardest settings :) etc, etc, etc. Check it out!!!

Another great show, guys! A few comments:

- That was AWESOME of you to pick the IFM cars from Race On! Regardless of how "Realistic" these cars are, it was just fun to drive them, period. As I mentioned in my original suggestion, it just seems like you can driv the WHEELS off these things, lol.

- the reviews were spot on for RACE and VirtualRC, IMHO. in defense of the far away "Driver's Stand" view, I'll just say that after racing RC cars competitively for several years, that the "peripheral" view is done pretty decently. One of the thongs that I used to advise people that were new to the hobby was that good peripheral vision was essential to guidingthw car around the track. When racing the car, you're never really looking at the car itself, you're looking just ahead of it - that's the best way to steer the car around the track. Granted, the view through a tiny monitor "window" os small by comparison to "the real world", but still, I commend them on the effort.

Keep up the great work!

Woh.. We'll get to them.. Matter of fact next show has more console stuff and the game you requested.. F1 CE.. We're also reviewing Indy 500 the Evolution for the 360 and reviewing the Buttkicker Gamer 2.

We already covered prologue last year and won't cover the GT series again until the release of GT5.

Hi guys, nice reviews but getting a little bit boring - all this pc sims, stupid mods for them etc., pick up something from console world please, something sim like, something that is not forza3, something from ps3 for equilibrium sake :D . I offered already to pick up cars from F1 ce and prologue, no matter that prologue has got no damage or skins, still interesting to hear your opinions when it comes to physics (the most important thing, right?) of these games!!!! I bet you are gonna be surprised by F1 CE physics - damage, part failures, part wear, fuel usage, dynamic weather, completely customisable car settings, unbeatable AI when on hardest settings :) etc, etc, etc. Check it out!!!

Darin, Shaun, Jessica and whoever else I forgot to mention...

Thank you for a great show! I, much like your new sim-racer-in-training am gaining more of an interest in PC sims. I was a bit in the dark on what to start out with because the closest sim I've ever gotten to is Forza 3, but this helps a lot!

Think you guys can turn me into a sim-racing Michael Schumacher? haha I kid.

Thanks again!

Woh.. We'll get to them.. Matter of fact next show has more console stuff and the game you requested.. F1 CE.. We're also reviewing Indy 500 the Evolution for the 360 and reviewing the Buttkicker Gamer 2.

We already covered prologue last year and won't cover the GT series again until the release of GT5.

Darin when you gonna be reviewing F1 CE dont forget to get latest patch wich adds force feedback to the game (one of the best one in racing games to date IMHO)

Hi guys ,i have nothing but respect for your show,i love it.However i dont like ''sim index''.I think it should be, by the definition of word itself a number which shows what is a ''sim'' and what is not a ''sim'' and what ''sim'' is better than other 'sim'' in terms of simulating real racing.I think that graphics and sounds and damage models have reached a decent level in every newer game since rfactor.Of course we can debate how much better one is to another in this terms,but my point is that you should not include this categories in your ''sim index'' because when ever newer racing game comes out that obviously is not a ''sim'' it will score higher than proper ''sims'' on your ''sim index'' because of this categories and then you get same results as before with your old rating scale.It happened allready with dirt2 scoring more in ''sim index'' than a proper simracing series from simbin.So i think you should just not include graphics,damage model and sound in your ''sim index'' and you will get better rating scale.One other thing about tracks category,i think that in sim index ,when you grade it you should think what are real life tracks and what are fictional,this would also help real ''racing sims'' score higher in ''sim index'' than racing games like dirt2.Best regards,Mislav

As always another great show, congratulations for keeping it up for all simracers out here. I just wanted to express one small complaint: since simracing exists actually entirely on pc's (there are no simulation titles on consoles except maybe Gran Turismo and Forza 3) so I would expect some more quality during captures from a PC title.

And by that I mean mainly the graphics which seem to have been set at medium settings for most titles making them look awful at best... Especially scenes from GTR2 really make the title no justice with most of the settings at low or medium... But the same applies to today's SIMBIN games.

I know it takes some graphics horsepower to keep the graphics maxed out and record with FRAPS simultaneously but you can do it nowadays very easily with a Core I7 cpu paired with a Radeon 5870 gpu for example, a system that will not cost much more than 1.000 $...

You got all these sponsors and all that show going on, the least thing you could do is invest in one fast pc that you could use for recording the PC sims stuff. I mean, this is exactly your job after all, presenting sims, isn't it :roll:

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I hope to hear from someone from the team on that, greetings from Greece (we have you as a top story on our greek sim racing portal (http://www.gvrteam.gr) whenever you publish a new episode :mrgreen: )

I agree with mci, the "sim" index in its present form is rather pointless. There is no way an arcade racer such as Dirt 2 should be outscoring a proper sim on the "sim" index.

Also, just thought I would mention that RaceDepartment has races going on in their racing club for the Race 07 series every day. They also run a number of very popular leagues utilizing the Race 07 series. They are much more than just a hot spot for mods. :)

Got to agree with the guys who're saying that graphics shouldn't play such an important part in the sim index. Dirt 2 is not a better "sim" than GTR Evo or LFS. When I drive these sims they feel like I'm driving my real life car (only going much faster). Dirt 2 doesn't make me feel like that, despite it's fancy graphics and laser tracks.

I think you need to revisit how you calculate the sim index. You have a broad audience it should be able to handle the concepts of arcade versus sim racing and the overlaps between them.

Thanks for the show.

Enjoyed the episode as always! I like the sim index. I'm thinking though you might as a next step focus on the relative importance of the items in sim index compared with their importance in the regular review. For example, I would make the three main things physics, force feedback and sound and the rest less so. Race 07 review was interesting as well. It was different to see the RC racing sim as well.

Probably the most interesting thing was the "lesson mode" review of LFS, RBR and GTR2. It inspired me to go back into LFS and try the overtaking exercise again....haven't gotten it yet.

Thanks again for your efforts!!

We're not going to adjust anything at this point.. Anybody can take any one of the 12 categories and focus on it. Dirt 2 may not be a sim, but in mine and Shauns opinion, is more fun to play than any of the Sim Bin titles. Maybe you should focus on our physics scores, because it scored higher than Dirt 2. In all honesty, thats the only category it deserves to score higher in..

You have to remember... The Sim Bin game engine is 5 years old, at least. It needs an update.. In regards to it being a sim over Dirt 2.. It's all subjective.. I can have some great online races in Dirt 2.. Isn't that what matters ??

Hi guys ,i have nothing but respect for your show,i love it.However i dont like ''sim index''.I think it should be, by the definition of word itself a number which shows what is a ''sim'' and what is not a ''sim'' and what ''sim'' is better than other 'sim'' in terms of simulating real racing.I think that graphics and sounds and damage models have reached a decent level in every newer game since rfactor.Of course we can debate how much better one is to another in this terms,but my point is that you should not include this categories in your ''sim index'' because when ever newer racing game comes out that obviously is not a ''sim'' it will score higher than proper ''sims'' on your ''sim index'' because of this categories and then you get same results as before with your old rating scale.It happened allready with dirt2 scoring more in ''sim index'' than a proper simracing series from simbin.So i think you should just not include graphics,damage model and sound in your ''sim index'' and you will get better rating scale.One other thing about tracks category,i think that in sim index ,when you grade it you should think what are real life tracks and what are fictional,this would also help real ''racing sims'' score higher in ''sim index'' than racing games like dirt2.Best regards,Mislav

I think people ultimately take thee things and their personal differences in opinions too much to heart.

Yes, I listen to your reviews and they have influence on my decisions, but at the same time, if I really enjoy something that you guys have rated lower than my person feelings, then so what? You're entitled to your opinions and me mine.

i look at video-game reviews in general the same way. There have been plenty of games out there which have been panned by critics which I have loved and there have been games that have been praised by the critics and i can not stand them.

The ratings on ISR are given on opinion and their personal experience. They go by their system. it's fine to disagree but this is THEIR system.

Anyone has a right to post as to why they disagree with particular scores, as long as it is done in an informative and constructive manner.

Ranting and raving accomplishes nothing.

Provide support for your opinions, but do not belittle the opinions of others, no matter who they are on here.

We're not going to adjust anything at this point.. Anybody can take any one of the 12 categories and focus on it. Dirt 2 may not be a sim, but in mine and Shauns opinion, is more fun to play than any of the Sim Bin titles. Maybe you should focus on our physics scores, because it scored higher than Dirt 2. In all honesty, thats the only category it deserves to score higher in..

You have to remember... The Sim Bin game engine is 5 years old, at least. It needs an update.. In regards to it being a sim over Dirt 2.. It's all subjective.. I can have some great online races in Dirt 2.. Isn't that what matters ??

I think people ultimately take thee things and their personal differences in opinions too much to heart.

Yes, I listen to your reviews and they have influence on my decisions, but at the same time, if I really enjoy something that you guys have rated lower than my person feelings, then so what? You're entitled to your opinions and me mine.

i look at video-game reviews in general the same way. There have been plenty of games out there which have been panned by critics which I have loved and there have been games that have been praised by the critics and i can not stand them.

The ratings on ISR are given on opinion and their personal experience. They go by their system. it's fine to disagree but this is THEIR system.

Anyone has a right to post as to why they disagree with particular scores, as long as it is done in an informative and constructive manner.

Ranting and raving accomplishes nothing.

Provide support for your opinions, but do not belittle the opinions of others, no matter who they are on here.

I didnt wante to criticise Darin and Shaun i was just making a constructive comment because they themself always say write to us ,suggest new things and stuff like that so i just made a comment.I respect anyones opinion and i just love this show. Best regards Mislav

It's ok Mislav.. No offense taken and I understand where you're coming from. Please do make more suggestions.. we're not mad at you :-)

I didnt wante to criticise Darin and Shaun i was just making a constructive comment because they themself always say write to us ,suggest new things and stuff like that so i just made a comment.I respect anyones opinion and i just love this show. Best regards Mislav

I was just making a general statement. not a direct message to anyone.

It is actually funny to oberserve:

After the iRacing show I did not understand why people were complaining about the 'wrong' rating for it, I felt 'hey, it is their opinion' and i actually only disagreed on the pricing rating, but again, I felt that was my personal opinion. But I am not into iRacing.

Then I watched the last show and I really felt, that the rating for the Simbin title was harsh... I had a couple of things were I felt the rating is wrong (especially the online piece, which puts me actually off from Dirt, I like to be with 25 people on a grid, but that's here just a side note). Now you may assume which Sim I use :mrgreen: ....

So basically, nobody wants to be talked badly about HIS / HER baby (=game/sim). I think the difference between me stating my opinion here and Darin and Shaun is, I am not an institution. The more emotions (bad or good) you get, the more prominent you are ;) .

Great show and I forgive you the 'wrong' rating :mrgreen:

Thanks for the humor bits again. Really enjoy them.

Force feedback, tracks, and physics are what I'm looking for in your reviews. I can clearly see the graphocs and hear the sounds pretty good while watching the review. So I personally can't relate to the concern about your rating system. If you guys report decent scores on these, I'll buy the title. However since I'm still only racing on the PS3, I'm hosed anyway! :lol:

Looking forward to the next show!

I wanted to mention I got my copy of GTR2 from signing up for simraceway.com.

I was going to say the same thing, but it may not have gotten a mention because I'm not sure that SimRaceway is still doing that promotion, so it may have been misleading for the guys to mention it in that episode.

Another great show guys, enjoyed the review on Race On, and found the three way comparison with the new scoring system very interesting.

Thanks again...."Sour Cream and Archives" :lol:

Hello

I see GTR2 mentioned under SimBin games on these boards. Is this the same game? I have been unable to find SimBin's GTR2 from any retailer/webtailer, any suggestions on where to buy?

Cheers