Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rfactor 2 Vs Iracing for a beginner?

42 posts in this topic

I have both IRacing and Rfactor2. While racing online is great with IRacing, it does tend to get expensive if you want to race a full season, RFactor2 physics and handling are better. Graphics could improve though. I think Assetto Corsa will be the best sim out of both. Just look at NetKar Pro, great sim.

How was Netkars multicode ? ;-)  I hope there's a contender for iRacing someday when it comes to competition.. Just don't see Kunos, ISI or Slightly Mad stepping up to that plate based on their development. 

RFACTOR is harder than using a console and iracing is easier.. but with RF1 you get a bigger wider range of everything and not so costly and when starting sim racing thats a great place to start.... join a league and you will have RF1 running sweet in know time, some leagues run more than 1 server so you might find you can race more than 1ce a week and no1 says you cant join more than 1 league..

Iracing is costly,scanned tracks and cars alone does not make a sim better but you should try them all and sought out what is best for you.

RF2  kills iracing in tires,ffb and phyisics and thats without what is still to come and be released, RF2 is the sim of the future........ till the rest catch up.

iracing is going to be dated to RF2 soon if not in some areas already.

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO OWN MORE THAN 1 SIM 

Darin from what i have seen and read is 1 EYED IRACING... thats ok there are a lot of ppl like that around in all sims.

Uhmm..

Darin, no disrespect at all, but when you hint that Austin is a bit biased you shouldn't reply with an equally biased comment. I know that you guys are sponsored by iRacing, but to be fair... That review wasn't a bad review at all (I choose to omit certain personal experiences which should have stayed out of the review). There are a lot of praise for the fantastic online racing, the outstanding "qoute: photorealistic: end quote" graphics and several other things. Meanwhile, there are quite a bit of criticising regarding the cost. Justified criticism since iRacing is many times more expensive than other sims (that sort of makes you expect that it's many times better than the others, right?)

The review by the way states the official prices, as it should do. Special offers are just that, special offers, so the price of iRacing is...? 

Also, I know that Wellnuts mentioned rfactor as an alternative, how about doing the decent thing and inform that rfactor may be old and dated, but superior to any other sim when it comes to the variety of mods, and perhaps rFactor2 would be a better alternative. Still ugly (sorry ISI, it is ugly if you don't use HDR and tweak a lot) and demands lots of hardware, but with better physics, tires and feeling than iRacing, though you need to be in a league to get good online racing.

Also, there are other sims. AC is coming, looking very nice, pCars may be arcadey, but still, GSC...

I like this site, and I like you guys, but sometimes the product placement is a bit too "in your face".

Coops summons it up very good with his comment:

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO OWN MORE THAN 1 SIM 

:)

Man this is a hard question.

I bought rFactor1 years ago and thought it was the best sim ever. The amount of mods, leagues tracks, cars and whatever is out there and free. I also own all the simbin titles, codemasters and windows live titles and always went back to rfactor1

I have been with iracing for about two years now and still only a D license in road and still rookie in ovals. I tried, really tried to advance myself but found it so much easier to logon to rf2 and race the wheels of my sim.

iRacing graphics are eyecandy and fps a pleasure to see but for me a killer first of all is the fee, then to pay for tracks and cars, then when you finally practiced your hiny off you have to wait for a server to qualify then wait for a server to race. Then you have to finish top half for points to count then while racing some idiot takes you out and it is all lost and for nothing.

Man this is just me and not the opinion of any one else.

I love rFactor2, it has become THE SIM to race and is getting better with each update. I love V8's and all tracks especially the Aussie tracks.

For me, it's a matter of what I'm in the mood for.

iRacing is great, no doubt, but for me personally, not worth the price they ask for cars and tracks on top of the membership fees (thus why I still only have base content and a "D" license), now if there was more variety, for the price of one car you would get for example.... the V8 Supercars, both the Ford and the Holden and have something that looks like REAL V8 supercar racing then that would be cool, but due to licensing, no Holden is available and if it were, it would cost you the price of the 2nd car.

I like rFactor for the simple reason of selection, mods mods and yet more mods, tracks and cars galore. rFactor2 is ok, but until they actually have it completed and out of Beta, I'm not paying much attention to it (even though I purchased it). I think my favorite non beta sim right now is Race07, I like the graphics, the overall user interface, the replays on triple screens, it's has a decent amount of mods and it's inexpensive.

Sims I'm looking forward to? Asseto Corsa and rFactor2 when it's finally completed.

I like iRacing, but for me, it's not the end all of sim racing.

Just my view on the subject.

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

To the guy that thinks we're biased towards iRacing.. Come on man.. get a clue.. Please go to this section http://isrtv.com/topsimcars and tell me that we've only covered iRacing. For MANY years we covered rFactor extensively and it's a great sim. Im not saying it isn't. Im basing my comments on the magic word in the original posters subject. BEGINNER !!! 

If I was to point someone totally new to sim racing to rfactor.. I'd be most likely scaring that person away from sim racing..Sure it's got good physics on some of the mods and some good tracks when you can fin d them.. But.. lets talk file management.. let's talk about rF2 not being complete and then the fact that ALL those mods you refer to are for rFactor 1. 

Now lets talk about the FFB in rFactor and how you get it..  Real feel.. Then does real feel work on all the cars ?? NO !  rFactor 2 doesn't need it but one of the premier leagues int he world that has their forums based here (TPS) doesn't use rFactor 2 yet. Now.. if you want to run in a great league with Touring Cars in rF1. TPS right here in our forums in the place to go. Would we allow a league that doesn't run any iRacing league to have a prominent place in our forums if we were so biased ?

Ok.. now we have rFactor and some tracks..Where are mods hosted nowadays ? rFactorcentral was bought out by simraceway and ruined. NoGrip ?  Lets go find some racing.. Oh.. there is no public racing.. Lets go find a league.. Ok.. there some good ones out there running particular seasons with cars and tracks you may like (TPS mentioned above).  Oh wait..  you want to go oval racing ?? Now find a league that uses something that has all the rules, in place, etc. 

iRacing is a plug and play experience and the fees may not be worth it to some, but it's obviously worth it to many, myself included. For the beginner in PC sim racing, there's no better place to start IMO. There's a whole community within iRacing that get's involved plus many tutorial videos on getting started, etc. Did the others devs come out with stuff like that ? 

Austin is entitled to his opinion which in my opinion was very biased and he failed to point out ways to make the membership almost free. Also, you own the content forever even after it's updated. rfactor 2 has a base lifetime cost of $89 but that does not include multiplayer racing or mods or tracks or access to them. There's also been payware mods for rFactor 1 and 2 and I expect to see more of that in the future.

Last Im saying on this subject. Sorry if I offended.. Just speaking the facts from my perspective. I am probably the most unbiased person on the planet when it comes to racing sims. We cover them all and there's features in everyone that I like. Is iRacing the very best ? No.. not at everything and there's features I would like to see.. But they are the most current and most developed sim on the market with a competition structure and setup that is unmatched. 

Where else could we host a race (120 Minutes of thunder) where 993 drivers raced simultaneously and all the stats are linked and drivers were sorted based on skill ? Sure it could happen on rF2 or 1..I challenge ANYONE to pull it off !  Matter of fact.. someone does and I will personally help them come up with a prize pool that matched ours.

My wallet has literally been sitting on the counter all weekend while I've been trying to make a final decision about joining iRacing.

Then I found this review:

http://www.racedepartment.com/2013/04/iracing-review/

- You have to buy a car before you can even tell if anyone else is even using it anymore?? 

Seriously? Tell me that's not just a money grabbing idea.

- Spend countless hours of time and huge amounts of money to get to the A/Pro level only to find out

that the moderators play favorites with their favorite users regarding protests??

Ouch

My wallet just got put away.

Guess I'll try rFactor and wait for it to overtake iRacing in membership.

I've played racing games a long time but never really was a sim racer until I joined iRacing last year so I think of myself as a beginner when it comes to sim racing.  Thats the key phase, sim racing.  

iRacing worked for me as a beginner because I got 3 months free + extra content for free not included in the base by using a promo code.   I had all the content I needed for 3 months and beyond to decide if I wanted to stick around.   And I did.  Last year, I bought the Black Friday  1yr for $49 deal  (they also run the same deal for new members and renewals in the summer usually).   So for the past year I was out of pocket for $49 and it included $45 in free tracks with the promo code I used as far as the membership fee goes.  I would have been fine buying nothing more than that this past year as far as content.   But I did take advantage of some other really good promos like $100 in iRacing credits for $75 and the 20% volume discount to buy a couple more cars and a bunch of tracks.  Now I'm good for years to come as far as content.   And I'm happy with my purchase.  Its something I can use for YEARS so the cost doesn't mean the same as throw away DLC you use for a month and never touch again in some games.   But to reiterated, I didn't NEED to buy that extra content to have a full iRacing experience for most of the past year. 

During this past year, I've learned to be a better sim racer because the racers around me are serious and want clean races like me.  And there are consequences to being unsafe in iRacing that aren't there in any other game.  I don't think I could have gotten the same out of another sim at this point.  

If you chose the right promo, you can try iRacing for nothing or dirt cheap for a several months or a year for less than the price of other games and without having to buy content to see if its right for you.   So I don't think anyone bashing it over cost makes any sense to me.   Content costs only come into play if you decide to stick around and have a career in iRacing.  If you decide to stay then obviously you made the decision that content cost like any other MMO is worth it for the service you get.  As the old saying goes,  you get what you pay for and I feel I've gotten my money's worth from iRacing. 

A couple of your points, wellnuts, based on that review.  

First, the reviewer was either outright lying or is completely ignorant of the service (which I doubt since he's been on it for several years).  The member site has a wealth of stats on all the official iracing series being run currently and in the past.  And for each series you can see participation by car if its multi-class.  So there is one way to see how many people participate in a series each week or each season.  The member forums have a section dedicated to each car.   The cars have a core group of dedicated drivers and fans that can advise you on the best days and times each week to join if you want full field and quality racing.  For a lot of cars the more dedicated community members do track preview posts with advice about the track that week.  Even videos to fast hot laps and they give advice on the day and times where there is the most participation in the series based on past races that season and previous seasons.  You can even ask questions about participation during the times you can race to make sure there are people in your region of the world racing regularly.  You can also ask about the quality of the car if that is a concern or just research posts about the car.   You don't have to buy a car blinding like the reviewer is talking about.  I can't really rationalize his statement.  He's either lying to foster his own agenda or is completely ignorant of the tools there which I find unlikely.  The info is there.  If you buy a car without doing your due diligence then that is on you and not iRacing.  So as described, that is in no way a money-grab.

Favoritism in the higher ranks.  I'm not up there so can't speak to it first hand, but given that he provides ZERO sources from other iRacers, current or former, or to links to complaints about this in the member forums makes me highly suspect of the integrity of those remarks.  Makes me wonder if he has an agenda because he hasn't cracked the Pro ranks himself yet.  Bottom line, if you are going to act like a journalist on a journalistic type site and do reviews, back up damning and damaging allegations like that with evidence or sources. 

I'm not an iRacing fanboy against other sims.  I want them all to succeed.  As I get more into sim racing it makes me want to try more sims, not exclude them.  But I am a fan of iRacing and I want to see the membership grow because I really enjoy the service, and I don't like to see people turned away by B.S.  iRacing isn't perfect by far but its damn good for what it offers.

First off, I wouldn't let a review by Austin sway you from checking out iRacing. Sounds to me like he starts his review with a chip on his shoulder. Not very professional journalism in my opinion. I knew it was going to be a negative review in the first paragraph

Secondly.. a lot of people over at Race Department iHaters. They love to bash it because they think sim racing should be free. 

Third.. He fails to mention the ways that your yearly subscription can be cut to like $4.00 by participating.. Yes you have to buy content, no there's not moderators playing favorites. You can see plain as day who is running what without having to buy that car. 

Last.. I wish you luck trying to get rFactor running correctly as a beginner to sim racing. iRacing is the most plug and playable piece of sim racing software out there in my opinion. Also, if you want to race.. You better find a good league to race in and plan on only racinf in that league once a week. iRacing, you can race anytime. Sure there's prime times to race.. but overall, there's always something going on. 

rFactor was a great sim.. It's dated and very difficult to get it to feel even remotely close to iRacing.

You get what you pay for.. If you want to sim race.. go iRacing.. if you want to sim drive or look for a quality league and are good at file management, check out rFactor.

Also, you can try iRacing for free for three months..  Can't go wrong with that and make up your own mind. I wouldn't take a review by Austin O over at Race Department with much weight. No offense to him, but I wouldn't base my sim racing on his opinion.  

I never know when to keep my mouth shut, so here we go, see how many people I piss off today. Okay for one he was talking about rfactor 2, not 1. I haven't had any problems with r2 yet, it was plug and play and really easy to use. To call him a ihater wasn't fair because their is turth in some of that. For 1 I paied for a car once, their were 2 other people in race who both loged out. After I did I found out no one drove that car. I did iracing for a little while. I got bored it really didn't strike me as a good game all around. I got 2 cars, one no one uses, the other one isn't one I care much for. Iracing lacks heavly in content. In the rfactor serries you have countless cars to drive. Furthermore who ever said you had to join a league, who ever said that racing against the computer isn't as fun as other people. If someone put me in front of a ai and a real person I'd never be able to tell. To say that people don't want to pay for racing, no, it's people don't like getting rip off. Look at any other mmo out their, their either pay to play, or monthly. To ask for both is just pure greed.

I heard you say manys times how great iracing is, I don't see it, I'm sorry I just dont. The only thing that I like about iracing are the leagues. I think iracing lacks heavy in content, takes too long to unlock cars, and not being able to choses a track and having it be the same one for weeks. Iracing bores me. Guess you can hate me for saying it but that was my impression when I was playing it.

If we are talking about beginner level here then why hasn't Game Stock Car 2013 been mentioned?  Isn't it essentially rF1 but easier to install and get up and running and at a great price too.

It's a pointless exercise doing a comparison and any discussion quickly degenerates into those Xbox 360 vs PS3 like debates.

Both titles are very different and can't really be compared and all comes down to preference of racing AI or racing real people anytime anywhere.

The one thing iRacing could do better is split the content - I have no interest in Oval racing and I don't want the oval tracks or cars that were included, so why can't I get a few more road tracks and cars thrown into my base content if I want them?

If they had more package choices or a pick and mix option each time you renewed your membership then I think we'd have more official races at more frequent times for cars that aren't included in the current base content.

I'd add that iRacing takes a little while to get into, if you go in with very high expectations that it's the best sim you are ever going to experience then I think you'll be disappointed.  But give it time (higher than Rookie) and you soon learn that it's not just a racing sim but a representation of your sim racing career all in one well rounded package that's getting better with every release.

as someone just getting back into sim racing after about a 8 year hiatus, I am having a blast so far with iRacing. Three free months on the caddy promotion and haven't spent a dime on content yet. Just completed my first race in a car other than the Mazda (Legends Coupe) and it was INTENSE. 25 laps with that car on Lime Rock....WOW! I also ran a clean and consistent race. Started 21st and finished 9th. +68 on my safety rating, boosting it to 3.65 and I am now all set for promotion.

I had rFactor when it first released. While the mods are great, they are also a pain in the ass to make sure all is installed correctly. I enjoy hopping on iRacing and just racing or practicing. I did download the demo for rF2 today. Haven't had much time with it, but initial impressions are OK at best. Driving felt great, the graphics REALLY lacked in my opinion. Maybe I need to play with it some more and tweak some things.

Overall all though, as a beginner, and I call myself that because I really was only into sim racing for a few months years ago, I am loving iRacing so far. Load it up and go.

rFactor2 is my first PC sim. I have done Xbox 360 Forza games before and was pretty decent so I thought I would make the jump to PC... boy do I suck at rFactor. I thought having a good wheel and set of pedals would make me better, but that's not the case at least not right now. I am a quite discouraged right now to say the least.  :sad:

I have been getting friends addicted to sim racing since the mid 90's.It was once simple with 1 program, a couple of mods, a $100 thustmaster T2 and a PC with a tiny video card.Just before we all went iracing I would spend hours over at someones house with a portable hard drive,a game CD I usually purchased myself for $20 (ty simbin)((someone point simbin out to the OP)) and labor through the installation process getting tracks,mods,addons onto their PC while their wives kept voicing concerns.I had one ask me to kindly leave.(he heard about it at work the next day :mad: )If one PC didn't have the exact installs as the others then that person could not join our server.I spent half the time I should be in the practice session on skype trying to fix someones problem and was paying the price during the race.It sucked big time and there were always constant arguments on how to do things and people always changing there instals after reading something somewhere I absolutely got to hate it.I put a ton of work into it over the years and it became a drag with all the arguing over settings and installs.This was with rFactor,Papy Nascar1,2,3,4 2002,2003 and lots of mods.We ran all of what simbin had to offer with GTR2 being the best IMO but the worst to get running right.We used GPL and the Gem+Igor and others Im not remembering now.This is not a quick look throw in the bin comment.This is over 15 years of trying this trying that and getting everyone on the same page in our group with people coming and going all the time.

Now for the last 3 years I bring someone over to my house and sit him/her in a cockpit,turn on iRacing and set him/her up in a car on a track,often in a server with people he/she has known all his/her life,and then leave for an hour or 2.When I return there is always the same question.What do I need so I can do this?I send them to NCIX near me and the dude hooks them up with a pc.I lend them a G25 or Fanatec GT3RS then he/she usually fumble their way online all on,their own with a lil help from someone that knows how to turn a PC on.Once they fumble online then I will use a cel phone to help get their sound setup and we will go into a server and I will answer questions and offer advice as we go.iRacing is overwhelming at first so we just get there gear calibrated right and have them do countless laps offering encouragement along the way.Most are now better than me after I hammer home the basics.(2 hands on the wheel ;) )It's so effortless it's enjoyable again.If I need to work with someone I simply take them to a radio private channel or private server.What usually happens is you get them going,push them that way and soon they're meeting all sort of other ready to help.some have joined leagues.It's all there.

I understand and appreciate why some people don't care for iracing and I will agree with them on many points but it does get a bit old over the years with people pumping up sims that aren't even out yet or are still in early beta stages.I remember all the fanfare over GTR1 and when it came out the fan base dropped off pretty fast.I personally thought it sucked and so did a lot of friends.iRacing can be expensive if you let it but if you can't see what you're getting for what you pay for then I don't think you're looking too hard.I absolutely agree with the comments on physics and FFB but both are subjective topics and I think often based on what someone has read or heard and not on what they actually know.with that poster stating he has both sims carrys some weight but again it's subjective and possibly biased by something else.

I wonder what the OP eventually settled on?

rFactor2 is my first PC sim. I have done Xbox 360 Forza games before and was pretty decent so I thought I would make the jump to PC... boy do I suck at rFactor. I thought having a good wheel and set of pedals would make me better, but that's not the case at least not right now. I am a quite discouraged right now to say the least.  :sad:

Racing sims like rF2, which I would throw to the top of the list of the hardcore racing sims, requires you to either use the aids and drop them out little by little as you learn car control, or you need to know how a real racing car works. There is truly important things that are missing or poorly simulated in console and more arcadish titles, like weight transfer, lift off oversteer, realistic brakes, etc... 

Best learning tool I ever used was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM

Not only teaching the basic physics and techniques that goes into driving a racecar, but also throws in some comical relief aswell. Gotta love the "mustache" years.

When you learn all these things and get that damn Howston or Skipbarber around that track in one piece, you start to appreciate the skill that is demanded, and when you see yourself improving those lap times and maybe giving that pesky AI run for its money, thats when you can say "hell, I'm a sim racer. Cool!" ;)

i was just like you when i went from a console to sim racing, its a big difference and takes some time but you will get there find a good group of drivers and start asking for tips in all areas. find a good league in your area that will help if it has the right members you will learn the ins and outs in know time and start to see improvments.

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents, I have been sim racing since 1979, I have raced consoles, PC's and arcade. There have been a few games I haven't tried over the years but for the most part I have probably raced 80% of them. IMO PC games blow away any other type, consoles or arcade. I have rFactor 1 & 2 and they are good they are no match for iRacing. It really does boil down to what are you looking for in a sim racer afterall. As mentioned in rFactor I found racing online was a nightmare, I thought console racing was bad for getting bashed around, rFactor was really bad. There is no consequence for bad driving.

iRacing is much more organized, you will run into bad drivers there but they get punished for there poor habits. Someone mentioned that iRacing was just a beta racer, true, the engineers are constantly working on it. This just show the high level of support iRacing garners. iRacing is expensive until you purchase the cars and tracks you want, me I have everything, all the cars and tracks. You get deals when you purchase by the 3's and 6's. Once you do it only cost $49 per year, how many of you buy a new Forza title, or Battlefield or PGA Gaolf every year? You get awesome support in iRacing, then there is the graphics, rFactor looks like a cartoon in comparison to iRacing, sure RF2 is still in the works and I haven't given up on it, once every few months I fire it up and see if I can get it to run decentley. rFactor has mods, it can be just as much of a con as a plus, we have all seen the crappy mods that are needed to join a race only to find they are crappy (lol) Indeed there are some truely great mods for RF1, I'll give iRacing a 8.5 and rFactor 2 will get a 7.0   iRacing continues to get better and better and IMO no other racer comes close, none!