Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rfactor 2 Vs Iracing for a beginner?

42 posts in this topic

Having been on the Iracing board, i would like an opinion from guys who play RF2

Ive been reading also about rFactor2 and the comparisons against iracing. Also i read the tyre model is better in rfatcor, ie: tyres wearing and coming to you in their optimal grip.. not to mention the cost

What do you guys think, really would like som eunbiast opinions ..

Cheers Fellas

I have never tried rF2, but I will at some point (when it ramps up some more). I love iRacing, but really had hoped the tire model would move forward a little more quickly. I think rF2 has a lot of cool things to offer in that department. The major problem with everything I've read with people comparing the two is that typically the opinion was already skewed heavily in favor of one of them prior to even giving thought to the review.

For me, I want an in-depth pros/cons list for rF2, from several points of view.

I like RF2 for alot of reasons, but mostly its because I prefer league racing in different disciplines. While iRacing offers league racing, its not cost effective for a league racer. So it really comes down to what kind of experience you want. If you enjoy the challenge of building a racing career for yourself then go for iRacing. If thats not your thing, or you mostly race in a league, then rFactor is the better choice. Just the unlimited mod potential alone makes it a no-brainer even at the $85 lifetime cost. 

Keep in mind rFactor-2 is still in it's Beta stages and is far from being finished and ready for full release. So there are many features and functions that may still have a few bugs, one of them being the video engine still needs work, it's a bit of a FPS pig right now. This title shows great potential if they can get it to it's final release state. Agreed with other posts above, iRacing is great, but depending on what you want out of a sim, iRacing has limited choices of cars and tracks and each time something new comes out it does so with a price ($14.95 per car and $11.95 per track I think or vice versa?), rFactor is well known for it's mod'ing community, hopefully rFactor-2 will enjoy the same mod'ing community support, it's what made rFactor great.

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

If you want the truth, iRacing is kind of like one big beta. They add new features in the new builds every 3 months. So it's a slow moving process, rF2 has some of the features (related to the tire model, track surface, and the weather) that iRacing is not going to see for quite a while (I wouldn't expect to see dynamic track surface on iRacing until 2014, and weather isn't really even on the horizon there until "LATER...")

I will say that what iRacing does have is done well, and everything is very well organized. You're really paying a premium for the community, the accuracy of content (cars/tracks), great driving physics (besides some of the tire model downsides that need to be ironed out), and guaranteed updates every 3 months.

With rF2, you are going to get a low price, tons and tons of content for free, and a well built sim. I honestly don't think the original rFactor can come close to rivaling iRacing's overall driving physics (it looks like the same for rF2), but you are going to get a big bang for you buck, and a lot of neat features that iRacing is not going to give you for some time.

IvStilGotItNmE, on 04 Feb 2013 - 16:00, said:

85 dollar lifetime cost, lifetime maps, lifetime cars and lifetime support vs no financial end in sight. Ever. Hmmm...

I'll run this by my accountant and get his opinion. :mad:

So true :)

Another one to add to the list is the (hopefully)soon to be released, Assetto Corsa.

I never really though much of iRacing physics to be honest. I think it's a bit like the emperors new clothes. Everyone has spent so much money on it they convince themselves it's the best.

I think Assetto Corsa could really be the one to go with as it's done by Kunos(that did Nkpro) so the physics should be fantastic. Nkpros tyre model was always the best so this evolved in Assetto corsa should be where it's at for realism.

Couple that with once off payment, moddable and including all the latest dx11 graphical pretties.

The only thing I can say in iRacings favor is the netcode is great and online racing in huge grids with no lag is fantastic. If AC gets the netcode side sorted it will easily be better than iRacing in my opinion.

AC will also have day/night, weather and dynamic track.

I like RF2 for alot of reasons, but mostly its because I prefer league racing in different disciplines. While iRacing offers league racing, its not cost effective for a league racer. So it really comes down to what kind of experience you want. If you enjoy the challenge of building a racing career for yourself then go for iRacing. If thats not your thing, or you mostly race in a league, then rFactor is the better choice. Just the unlimited mod potential alone makes it a no-brainer even at the $85 lifetime cost. 

I agree, for me cost are the big factor for me. Rfactor 2 at the moment is very good, but dosnt have a big lot of content at the moment and if you go online there arnt alot of people racing online, that you can just do a casual race , but there seems to be alot more moders getting in to making mods now. I just let my Iracing run out as I couldnt justify the cost, I don't get to race every night so couldnt justify it. I like Iracing, it's very good. If I was starting off I' pay $50 for rfactor1 and you can get just about any car and track, plenty of racing going on and then see what tickles ur fancy afterwards.

For me rFactor2 is still the best option compared to iRacing. In RF2 I don't need licenses to race in a leaque only approval from the community I am racing with. RF2 for its one time price give me options, directions and carreer options that I want to take or concentrate on. I know we will pay for tracks or mods created by the community in the near future but atleast it will be a one time payment, it is yours for using offline.

RF2 does not have the online numbers at the moment and it is a WIP Beta but it will be better than RF1 by miles, all we have to do ride this out.

I was considering iracing now with its latest promo but the thought of going through the various stages and licences and the constant please pay, turns me totally off, sorry.

Can someone please start an Australian version of iracing please! If we combine all the Australian communities together we could possibly have hundreds of thousands online members. With Australian content minus all the fees.

ausracing.com

iRacing has Aussie servers and a decent size Aussie community. In addition to that you don't have to have any licenses to compete in a league setting (assuming the league didn't set some requirement). It is expensive though.

Why one or the other? Why not both?

rFactor2 has racing against AI, which you can set the difficulty. Good after a days work if you need a slightly easier challenge. iRacing has no AI and it is not quite so easy to just fire up and race. Races are at set times and you really need to practice before you race, if only to be fair to your fellow competitors.

With what's currently out there, I would say start with RF2, then advance to iracing later if interested, it can be a major

investment depending how serious you are about it. And for sure try Assetto Corsa when it comes out, the sim community 

has very high expectations for it. 12 laser scanned tracks, and open to the mod community, could put major pressure on

RF2 to get final release out.

Have fun !!

I never really though much of iRacing physics to be honest. I think it's a bit like the emperors new clothes. Everyone has spent so much money on it they convince themselves it's the best.

I have to agree with you on this one. iRacing's physics don't impress me either, neither does their FFB. When it comes down to actually racing rFactor2 shines in my comparison. I'm also not a fan of "pay to breathe" model they have going.

rFactor2 has a ways to go but there's enough there to give you what you need. There's more tracks (if you include the mods) and cars in rFactor2 then there is in iRacing and there will only be more to come. Keep in mind though some of this content is in varying stages of development. Some are ready for prime time now while others are definitely work in progress.

One thing to remember about iRacing is that yes they have season racing, but as you progress through the season you'll have to buy the tracks you don't have, this can run into $100's. And as for physics, many well known reviewers and sites have rfactor2 as the new benchmark. Also iRacing makes this huge deal about laser scanned tracks, modding teams used to make laser scanned tracks for rfactor1, and anyway, how can you tell the difference unless you've raced on those tracks for real, from what I can see other sims tracks are also much more detailed. iRacing is a money pit, it's good, but $1000 good? No way.

I started with Iracing (on the PC) and I will say that there was a huge learning curve, and it can become very expensive very quickly.  But you can space out your purchases and it doesn't seem bad.  I have Rfactor2 as well, and love the physics, but I tend to just race Iracing because of the ease of just being able to jump in a race every other hour, or every hour, or whatever it may be.  Yes, as someone stated above, practice is very important, but once you've got the track down you can pretty much race whenever you want.  I raced the trucks at Martinsville like nine times today, and all I had to do was click join.  Two days ago I raced the McLaren at Zandvoort.  I think that's the appeal of Iracing over it's competitors, you can just race real people whenever.  I do agree that Iracing is a little behind in many aspects and the cost is hefty.  But I still love it because I love to race real people, as much and as often as I can.

I have had a lot of really bad experiences in iracing. I am used to leagus, and I get frustrated with spending days to up my saftey rating just to have someone else wreck and in one race hours of work gets flushed down the toilit. I also feel that many people get very rude and nasty far too easily. I can't tell you how many time I have been yelled and screamed at because someone else did something stupid and wrecked me and then yelled at me. I pefer to just race in league where that is a non issue. I also like r2 for the better graphics, more options, all the cars and tracks for a lifetime. As for the cost well I spend more on iracing just to upgrade a few cars and tracks plus monthly fees, r2 is far cheeper. As soon as r2 is out of beta and up and running with many mods I will be done with iracing and I will never go back.

iRacing has leagues too.I raced all the other sims open servers and the wrecking and abuse is just as bad if not worse there.You say that the hours of hard work get flushed down the drain,what other means of ratings do the other sims have?None.For your information you get all iRacings cars and track for a life time once purchased.You just need to spend a few dollars a month to use the extensive service that powers it.rF2 offers nothing in comparison to what iRacing provides for this small monthly fee and there is already talk of paying for mods and a yearly fee to use rF2 so I don't know what you're talking about there.

I'm not using rF2 so I can't comment from experience that way with regards to physics and graphics but I do read mixed reviews.I hope they are good and I also hope that better products keep being made but get your facts straight when you want to slam iRacing.There is simply nothing like it out there.

If I could only pick 2 sims (even if money was unlimited) I would choose RFactor 2 and also soon, most likely Assetto Corsa.  I think they both already are/will be the 2 best sims in terms of the overall pure driving physics for the next while.  IRacing has a great online asepect though with the safety rating system, organization and ease to get into races, etc.  For me however, the pure driving physics/vehicle dynamics, and secondly the FFB and actual "feel" to the user/driver, take precedence over all other aspects of a sim (graphics, online system, ease of use, sound, etc. etc. etc.).

I have both IRacing and Rfactor2. While racing online is great with IRacing, it does tend to get expensive if you want to race a full season, RFactor2 physics and handling are better. Graphics could improve though. I think Assetto Corsa will be the best sim out of both. Just look at NetKar Pro, great sim.

My wallet has literally been sitting on the counter all weekend while I've been trying to make a final decision about joining iRacing.

Then I found this review:

http://www.racedepartment.com/2013/04/iracing-review/

- You have to buy a car before you can even tell if anyone else is even using it anymore?? 

Seriously? Tell me that's not just a money grabbing idea.

- Spend countless hours of time and huge amounts of money to get to the A/Pro level only to find out

that the moderators play favorites with their favorite users regarding protests??

Ouch

My wallet just got put away.

Guess I'll try rFactor and wait for it to overtake iRacing in membership.

My wallet has literally been sitting on the counter all weekend while I've been trying to make a final decision about joining iRacing.

Then I found this review:

http://www.racedepartment.com/2013/04/iracing-review/

- You have to buy a car before you can even tell if anyone else is even using it anymore?? 

Seriously? Tell me that's not just a money grabbing idea.

- Spend countless hours of time and huge amounts of money to get to the A/Pro level only to find out

that the moderators play favorites with their favorite users regarding protests??

Ouch

My wallet just got put away.

Guess I'll try rFactor and wait for it to overtake iRacing in membership.

First off, I wouldn't let a review by Austin sway you from checking out iRacing. Sounds to me like he starts his review with a chip on his shoulder. Not very professional journalism in my opinion. I knew it was going to be a negative review in the first paragraph

Secondly.. a lot of people over at Race Department iHaters. They love to bash it because they think sim racing should be free. 

Third.. He fails to mention the ways that your yearly subscription can be cut to like $4.00 by participating.. Yes you have to buy content, no there's not moderators playing favorites. You can see plain as day who is running what without having to buy that car. 

Last.. I wish you luck trying to get rFactor running correctly as a beginner to sim racing. iRacing is the most plug and playable piece of sim racing software out there in my opinion. Also, if you want to race.. You better find a good league to race in and plan on only racinf in that league once a week. iRacing, you can race anytime. Sure there's prime times to race.. but overall, there's always something going on. 

rFactor was a great sim.. It's dated and very difficult to get it to feel even remotely close to iRacing.

You get what you pay for.. If you want to sim race.. go iRacing.. if you want to sim drive or look for a quality league and are good at file management, check out rFactor.

Also, you can try iRacing for free for three months..  Can't go wrong with that and make up your own mind. I wouldn't take a review by Austin O over at Race Department with much weight. No offense to him, but I wouldn't base my sim racing on his opinion.