Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Week Inside Sim Racing Late January Edition (2 parts)

99 posts in this topic

This Week Inside Sim Racing Late January 2013.  This is part 1 of a show that was so long we broke it into 2 parts.  The first half of the show covers the "Big Five" in the PC sim racing world right now.  Those sims are: RFactor 2, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Raceroom Experience and iRacing.  Each of these sims have seen changes last year, we look at that and also talk about future coverage of these sims on the show.

This is part 2 of what could have been 2 shows to begin with.  In the second half we cover one of the coolest sim dashes that you will ever see.  Then we cover a very big announcement by one of the top teams in the Inside Sim Racing IGP League.  We then cover Darin and Shaun's exploits in the 2.4 hours of Daytona in iRacing.  This includes a massive computer failure by Shaun's computer mid race.  And then to finish off the show we have the 3 winners of our Forza Horizon Rally DLC Codes giveaway.

Watching Darin's battle with #15 brings up an interesting topic.  I had no issue with him holding his line on the banking, but once your nose was well ahead of his going into T1, he should have let you go rather than squeeze you and risk taking you both out.  You were clearly faster than him and I totally understand your frustration.  This is the main reason I started a league.  Not only do you get to know guys and develop friendships, but you start to learn what to expect from them as you race with the same group on a regular basis.  This is how real life racing series are as they are battling against the same guys week in and week out.  Now don't get me wrong, it can still be frustrating at times, but racing in a league makes for a much more enjoyable experience in my opinion.  

Really enjoyed the show.

great double episode guys, great to see that emotion coming from both of you, what happened though shaun, was that damage or did you just get stuck on the barrier?, hard lines that, and darin, great battle with that guy, seemed most likeley that if/when you would have got by you would have pulled a gap, the guy was killing both yours and his own lap times by his actions, he must have been using the mirrors a lot, it put into a nutshell the joys and frustrations of racing, and without these emotions and trying to control them, why would we bother, fantasic stuff and loved the car horn censorship

Regarding the battle Darin was having with #15, it is more holding line than blocking but I agree with post #2 in that he did not know when to give up. I also found your comment about AJ Allmendinger being 'run off the road' interesting. In F1 it is perfectly acceptable for a driver to hold his line, even if someone is on the outside, and the driver on the outside should back off. You can watch any number of these types of incidents over the past decade in any F1 track that has a hairpin/sharp corner. Personally, I do not think that AJ Allmendinger ever had the line or position and he should have ceded the place, dropped in behind and fought him through the next few corners. Which takes me back to your race and you had the speed, and at times the track position, to do the same thing.

Great episode guys, echoing everyones thoughts on the emotion front, and live episodes and an ISR Forum of sorts will be great!

Regarding #15, I think he was just defending his line and didn't think much of it to be honest... It looked like he was just holding the inside line to defend his line.  Sure, when it's every lap, it's bloody frustrating, but it's nothing illegal or what I believe might be unsportsmanlike behaviour.  It's a shame you both had those spins, and I guess shows the importance of a stable setup for endurance racing.

This is just my view, and I bet that racing was still beat doing anything else that night  :)

Sorry, something I missed in my previous post...

Yes, I agree the 'Gentleman Racer' is a very rare animal nowdays... even simracing now has some investment by some companies to get their name out there.  It's good for the racers who are good at what they do and give their car exposure, but it is also taking away some of the fun that was in this niche hobby.

I'm sorry if you don't agree with me Darin but the only times the #15 did anything wrong was in the 1st run in (it was smooth but it was a block) and the last time (he clearly brake checked you) but the rest of it was good hard racing he did nothing wrong from run in's 2-25

ps: yes there is gentelmen racing in leagues but i think every time i go to just an open room there's always that one guy who thinks sim racing is just like mario kart (turns all his aids on tries to wreck everyone or piss everyone off...)

Enjoyed the show.

As far as the battle darin had. The 6th and 8th time I agree with darin, he cut up infront of you from the low lane to the high lane right before the braking zone which is clear cut blocking. The 9th was a bit of a schumacher moment with him trying to run you into the wall, again from low to high.

The 10th was unfortunate but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. You were both on the inside of a slower car and he stumbled for half a second. I dont think there was any malice there but it was unfortunate you were so close behind at the time. Frustrating as hell though. 

The rest, in a sprint race I would say it was extremely hard but fair racing. Genuinely looked like he was outbraking you to the point where he eventually outbraked himself and you got by. Given that it was a 2.4 hour race it was kinda pointless ( costs both of you time), ideally he might have given you the position, but on the same lap he is entitled to choose to race you and it's up to you to pass him.   

In general I dont think its as bad as people make out. I for the most part find myself in pretty clean racing in the official series on Iracing. but you do get the odd fool that doesnt seem to have any respect. I think Ive had 2 times out of 149 starts that I can think of where I was purposely wrecked. Only been on Iracing for 6 months but rookie is supposed to be the worst for it so maybe I was just lucky. I was part of some great racing in the bottom splits and cruised through rookie with no SR problems.

I think the problem gets exagerated by the regularity of forum posts of people screaming "I got wrecked". A couple of different people every day making those posts in a service where thousands race every day with out alot of regularity about who they race against is not bad odds. Besides how many times does someone post in the latest race thread and say "I just had the best race with these guys". No where near as often. If they did the good would far outweigh the bad.

Like anything the minority will always scream the loudest.

The gentleman racer does still exist. Sorry if that was a bit long.

Sorry you got frustrated Darin. That is why I generally dont race outside of my league. As you said, you will probably have to meet the same person next time. There is more sportsmanship in league racing. Public racing, espescially in big events like the 2.4, its every man for himself because you have something important to lose. To each his own, but I get too frustrated in public sessions. 

first of all i have to say i loved the show of emotions going on in the races - especially the Honk Honk.

to Darin - sorry but the 15 was doing what he felt he needed to do to stay competitive and if you think it was too agressive try real life racing on a professional team.

as a person who is involved in racing i can say from a team perspective that these days the racing environment has become extremely agressive to a point where there are literaly no friends on the track unless the driver has orders from the team management.

we need to look at it from there point of view. there is a lot of money involved - a lot of stress to get the win - our sponsors demand we give them the coverage they paid for. etc etc.

if i pay a driver to drive my car i want him to do what is necessary to get up front and if not i will find someone else to get it done.

in real life the only thing that holds us back are the rules - without them it would be a fiasco.

racing was a hell of a lot cheaper back in the 60`s than it is today and less competitive.

to Shaun - your computer issue was your graphics card overheating. hope you are not using a card that is designed to circulate hot air inside the case as opposed to ehausting out the back.

keep on racing boys and get out front or (YOUR FIRED) is that enough encouragement for you.  ha ha ha  lol.

Thanks for all the comments guys.. Has me realizing that next time. I just spin him and go on my way.. No more gentleman racing from me..

My biggest problem was running his ass down from 8 seconds back more than once, only to have to fight him in turn one every lap.. Looking at lap times, my best was 7 tenths faster than his during the race. Also, if you've raced there.. Turn 1 is dangerous and he risked taking us out every time he tried to defend.. I could understand with 10 laps to go.. but 70 !! My other problem was that we were being caught by the guy behind us and losing the pack in front. If I was in his shoes, I would have let the guy go and followed to 

1) not get caught by the guy catching us

2) try to catch the next guy

Oh well.. water under the bridge and fun to watch how worked up I got..LOL

i woud have just stayed on his bumper ( and i mean really on his bumper ) and not try to pass on the outside. this way he woud start to panick and most likely move to the highline to let you by.

trying to pass on the highside requires you to have a lot more speed than him and is more risky.

also your car needed a a little softer rear setup to stabilize it for the long races. often in long races it is the most consistent setup and not the fastest setup that will win the race

It wasn't so much his racecraft that was a problem, except in patches, but rather that there were 70 laps to go and not 7.  A lack of understanding of the difference of endurance racing versus sprint racing.

It was lap 10, but maybe he was thinking 'I'm going to keep this guy behind me until he makes a mistake and crashes out'. 

And it worked.  ;)

Loved to see real emotion in the video, though. Thanks for sharing.

I don't think that there is anything gentleman about what #15 did lap after lap, but I have to say it is his inside line to defend when he takes that every single time you just have to find a way to work with it. I am not skilled as much as you guys are so I can't really offer any suggestions, in the lowered skilled races when I encounter someone like that I usually just stick behind them and hope for a mistake that I can capitalize on. It may not happen during the entire race, and it is definitely frustrating to follow someone for multiple laps only to have them make a small mistake, but not a large enough one to make a pass.

If I had been #15 I likely would have taken an inside line multiple times, but I can seem to think that there were a few spots there where I would have let you pass in order to avoid a possible wreck.

Great episode guys!

Oooh. This can be a "touchy" subject. I certainly understand getting frustrated and upset.

I'll write this as it applies to me... If I'm going to participate in a "serious" race like this, and get a good position...

1. Car: My car MUST be set up correctly. Gear ratios are a BIG thing with me, second to suspension and downforce, with power being relative to all three.

2. Preparation: I MUST be prepared with the proper practice and adequate wheel time on the specific track

3. Hardware: All software and hardware (and hydration--Camelbak feed hose for a long race) must be set up, stable, and reliable

4. Head: My head MUST be in the right place--before and during the race.

It's all relative. If I miss just one of these, everything else falls apart.

Darin admitted to pretty much all four--he wasn't prepared, and he knew it. ...and I've been in the same boat (or "car" in this case).

I would agree that Darin is probably the better driver. If all the conditions above were met, he would have passed and moved on to the next battle, and so on. Watching the ongoing battle with #15, if everything was "right" I think I know how I would have handled the situation, and where I would have made my move--but again, there's no way you'll be successful if just one of the points above is off or missed--even if you are one of the best drivers.

I have participated in online races where I knew I wasn't prepared one way or the other. In that case, I informed the other drivers that it's likely I'll hang back and make sure they have a good race. I was just there for that race to stay in the series.

Yelling at and blaming the car or another driver is the worst thing you can do. It means something is wrong--something that you did or didn't do. Deep down, you know what the real problem is, and it just frustrates you even more.

Worse, it takes your "head" even further out of the race. In "situation #15" or something like it, you may eventually overtake your opponent... only to make a mistake or spin out a turn or two later.  ...as was demonstrated in the video.

Watch an F1 race, and you'll see Vettel with his earphones in and eyes closed while the team is prepping and doing final checks on the car. In addition to getting his head in the right place, he knows everything else is already covered to the best of the team's ability, and it's a matter of getting in the cockpit and doing NOTHING but putting his tires on the fastest driving line around the track (and getting around those occasional other obstacles--the other drivers).

good insight apex, also as im sure many of us can confess to is that if we have a couple of buddys over and try to do some racing our driving turns to s##t, im sure if shaun and darin did not have a video camera over thier shoulders they would have done a lot better, especially in an endurance race where concentration is key, glad they had the balls to do it though, it was great tv, loved shauns arms up perplexed look at the camera, weve all been there.

I don't think he did anything wrong, hard racing for position in my book and understandable frustration Darin probably more so on yourself for loosing the lead than the driver you thought was holding you up. Sometimes it's best just to hold back and see if the car in front makes a mistake or push to try and force an error at different corners.

Thanks for all the comments guys.. Has me realizing that next time. I just spin him and go on my way.. No more gentleman racing from me..

This says a lot.  It can be frustrating, but i only saw one blatent block.  Remember that he probably recognizes your name and wanted to tell everyone he beat "Darin Gangi".  Because of your status in the sim racing community, its very important to always take the high road.  Negative reactions will only hurt your show.  It will be best for you and shaun to always be the gentleman racer especially when its tough not to be.  

Good racing guys and keep up the good work

That was the best show so far for me !!!! A peak into your race world was the best idea yet......

Me personally would have stayed patient and kept my cool. You would have taken him. It's a race of control on many different levels.

I wish we could have had a heart rate monitor and or a blood pressure machine hooked up to you during the laps leading up to the mental breakdown :)

who is this #15, i wanna hear his story

You can look up the results of the race inside the iRacing member's site, however this site isn't the place for naming and shaming.  He's no slouch by the looks of it, almost 1000 races since 2010 and he's won >15% of them and been in the top 5 over 50% of the time.

Great freaking episode.   I love the race coverage, its almost as good as watching on board during the daytona 24hrs.  As for Gentleman racing, there is none, there is blocking and what I consider crashing.  Some great racers will block you, some others will pull in front and give you no where to go or brake in time and you end up going into them.  To them thats a block but really its dangerous....

I think we've all been there where we're clearly faster than somebody else and just can't get past them.... I don't believe in crashing one bit, but if someone blocks me with just inchs to spare and I hit them, i mash the throttle.  You already lose the safety rating point anyway, so whatever.  But I try my best to be clean, but theres a difference between blocking and crashing.  At least in my opinion.

This episode really shows the emotions we all go through when racing, especially races that we prepare for 1 or 2 weeks in advance.  Getting setups, running tons of lines, practicing with fuel loads with full number of race laps etc... and to have a crappy race to ruin it all.  It makes what we do all that more special than other sims!

= TwiceDead