Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simvibe Setup Tutorial by Inside Sim Racing

61 posts in this topic

What if somebody was persistent enough and determined for their own build to be able to understand better what Simvibe was doing. To be able to discover new meaning and how to best implement the very best tactile hardware into a cockpit. To be able to go even further beyond the normal Simvibe configuration in the desire to achieve not just more but the best Simvibe experience possible?

BUT DAMN all those settings/sliders with little documentation or explanation. So much confusion with what certain things do and impossible to properly tell via seat of the pants testing or headphone monitoring. 

What if it was possible to see full spectral analysis and determine via professional recording software anything used on "Simvibes Output Mixer". To be able to monitor in real time but also to record and log for deeper/future analysis and comparison for all CM & EM channels.

--------------------------------------------------------

Okay enough of the drama.
Here is the beginnings of my adventure with an example of Grid 2 and a very early test to see if it was working. This may not be the best title to use nor best  example but is only to highlight the potential. Here I am monitoring only "Road Textures" for the front right channel. 

(See picture below and enlarge it via the link)
The Light Purple is the "Realtime Monitoring" of the effect the Dark Purple represents the "Peak Output" for all the frequencies this single effect has produced over the entire lap (or time active)

Anyone remember how "Textures" are not tone generated by the user. They are pre-set in tone/frequency and only have sensitivity/volume & some weird thing called signal conditioning.

So right away in this quick example with this effect it seems to hold a similar frequency/form and this form increases mainly in db ouput. See how the shapes are similar?  You can also see with the frequency grid how the frequency range is being utilised and the db above 0 (the yellow line) what is being felt the most as the db increases. 

This current "road texture" effect when captured was operating @60Hz at 0db with a peak @ 10Hz at +6db.

Yet the highest results during the whole lap was up to a very high 300Hz at 0db with a peak @ 5Hz at +10db. 

Now to be fair not that much is felt with great strength over 100Hz as it becomes a fizzle and begins to turn more into audible audio but this type of information will go to learning how to better use and fine tune the output to not only my own tactile performance but potentially find settings that could match other peoples tactile hardware as well.

Only a demonstration but I have been itching to be able to do this for a long time.
Oh yes much to do, much to learn...

Simvibe Uncovered 
8P1xA55.jpg

Hi, so in response to your reply. 

I like what you are planning to do to study the individual effects and their relationship to each other. 

I haven't paid impacts much attention with respect to if they are full chassis based or stereo positioned. I think they may be back /front. 

A far as road bumps vs suspension...Road based effects go through all transducers as they simulate the vibration through the chassis. Suspension are at the wheel so they are back/front/left/right. I prefer sticking to suspension effects in chassis mode. Road effects are more suited to extension mode.

I wrote up a setup guide that you can find on these forums. It was for v3 but still applies. 

Okay thanks for reply and answering great to get you interested. 
Yes I went over your guide many times upon part of my research and have a pile of notes gathered from various places over the past two years on the subject. I just lack actual usage of Simvibe itself but have good enough knowledge of tactile and frequencies.

Gathering from what I had picked up and researched from various sources and just digging up what I could, obviously it seems we have Suspension that is wheel dependant but also Chassis that works in relation to the XYZ axis. Makes sense as the data comes from motion. I tried to get help from someone here who has good knowledge with motion but alas was totally ignored.

I do get what your saying about going with extensions for these but curious.....

If placing the road based effects for chassis that you refer to on extension mode. What if some of these are multidimensional, then that directional steering would be lost in extension mode, no? 

I guess the question is if they are multidimensional, do they offer much sense of directionality or is it your preference to do that mainly to avoid conflicting with the detailing of suspension? Would an example of surges happening for front/rear body roll during say acceleration and heavy braking be a good example of this?

My own cockpit is being built around tactile performance, it will be excessive but done to achieving a balanced yet very powerful output. Also my personal configuration is done to enable the best potential from chassis mode and to get around some of the restrictions of a single unit or using multiple effects on a single channel. 

To recap, using 4x LFE and 4x TST429 working in tandem together on a duplicated chassis output. I have extensively tested this with game audio and music covering a wide variety of frequencies so I know it reduces the strain on a single unit. Also having a secondary unit installed in another but close location helps cover a specific area better than a single unit can. This was again something I have tested on my own test build and compared both in operation to using either one unit on its own. 

Importantly however I can enable the LFE to be utilised for what it is good at and only being used for upto @45Hz for its extensive low end performance. Yes some others have went with 4 full size LFE but I can then use the combined TST 429 for either all frequencies with its superb low end too but more for its speed and detailing. Alternatively I can set a filter via the amp to restrict what it works with. So for example the TST may be used from 35Hz upwards to do the mid-higher frequencies only. This would reduce the workload each unit has to do and basically it is like the example of having a woofer/mid range type role working together than relying on a single unit to cover the full utilised frequency range. Of course Simvibe does not support A/B output for channels where effects can be placed independently but I found a work around this long ago as tone generated effects within Simvibe could also be created to work within the range of the high pass filter and in doing this it ensures that effect only goes to the specific unit.  

So if indeed impacts and main chassis XYZ axis work in stereo for front/rear or indeed left/right like happens within a motion sim using 4dof then such transitions would be lost and perhaps these effects need lots of power to embrace them more to get any sense of chassis roll or movement? For example could these have their own unique usage of low frequencies to help distinguish them from say just independent suspension effects. 

My example could be a case of dual LFE & TST 429 to produce more potential power/immersion for these compared to possibly say a single mono LFE via an extension?
However it may just be during testing that they do not offer much sense of directionality even when taken to the extremes of multiple units working in tandem.

Thoughts appreciated...

On 1/28/2013 at 6:12 PM, Shaun Cole said:

Our guide to get the most out of Simvibe.  In this video we show you most of the details on how to install and get Simvibe running.  This video comes after our actual review of Simvibe that can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs1CslGfFCg    We show you the parts that you are going to need, we show you how to install those parts.  And then we go through all of the tweaks that you can do to the software.

Hello @Shaun Cole and everyone who might understand about electronics, which is not my case :(

I also want to buy the Simvibe and i saw your setup and it is really nice.

But for now i was considering buying something less expensive.

I was thinking buying this AMP: http://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Channel-Amplifier-Remote-Install/dp/B00J2BVDWM/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1463580179&sr=1-1&keywords=BOSS+AUDIO+R2504

1 Tranducer of this http://www.amazon.com/AuraSound-AST-2B-4-Shaker-Tactile-Transducer/dp/B0002ZPTBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463062061&sr=8-1&keywords=bass+shaker

and 2 of this http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-TT25-16-Tactile-Transducer/dp/B0045W10VW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463062061&sr=8-2&keywords=bass+shaker

What you guys think, will this work?

As far as i understood and i already read a lot of things and saw several Videos, i need a:

- 4 channel AMP 

- 2 or 4 Transducers (i want on my pedals and Seat)

- 1 Sound card 

Questions:

- Is the above amp and transducers compatible and powerful enough?

- Only 1 Sound card is enough if i will have 4 transducers on the future?

- For that AMP i see that only works as 4 or 2 ohms, the dayton trans is 8ohms, will it work?

Thanks in advance.

BR

Nuno

Can someone help. I've viewed the simvibe setup video provided but i would still like to see clearly how 2 Buttkicker gamer amps are connected? I think i know but not 100% My setup is 2 Buttkickers gamer 2's with there own dedicated amps. One under the pedals and the other under the seat. My 'Main' sound comes from HDMI to my home theatre amp. The Buttckiers are connected to the onboard Mobo. How do i connect the amps together and also to the back of the PC? Even if its a simple sketch to show how they are connected in tandem?

I know the video shows you them being connected at the back but its not clear and there are a 'tangle' of confusing wires.

51 minutes ago, sebj said:

Thanks sebj for the info and link. Yes i want to use extensions mode. Yeah i saw this previously but it confuses me because it shows just one amp and four kickers. Just want some help on the bog standard gamer 2 and how to connect with RCA cables etc.What cables go where? Green and black at the back of the PC etc..... Thats the other thing, what cables do i need to connect everything? Pictures speak a thousand words. In simple layman terms hopefully - a real step by step! :) 

So do i use one amp for the seat and one amp for the pedals.? Then one cable goes from AMP 1 to the BLACK port at the back of the PC and AMP 2 goes into the GREEN port of the back of the PC?

You got the right idea. I don't know the colors of your ports. You need to look up which ports are for pedals and which for seat. In front vs side vs rear. But yes that's how you'd it. 

I have a rig with transducers that I setup for DCS (Flight Sim) last winter.  I am using software called SimShaker that lets you specify Left and Right channels.  So, if I want to use SimVibe, can I keep it wired for Left and Right?  Does the software let you customize your hardware design so you can then specify effects for the left and right?  Or does it force you to only set it up for Front and Back or 4 corners (FL, FR, RL, RR)?  I really don't want to have to rewire everything and loose my setup for DCS in the process..