Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simvibe by SimXperience Reviewed by Inside Sim Racing

157 posts in this topic

If any help to anyone for a good Tone Generator try This One as it also allows different tones to be used for the L/R channels. IIRC @sebj highlighted doing this in his guide with an online test tone generator. It is useful for anyone getting an idea of how frequencies vary or indeed operate on their own tactile/rig.

You will of course have to set your soundcard for your tactile as the primary windows audio output card.

Recently had an online friend conduct his own tests with a Dayton and ADX over on GTP regards this.

See Here

@ Crafty Fox - I'm not sure how we could achieve better performance than SimVibe in terms of PC resource consumption relative to the work being done, but I'm all ears if you think you may have spotted a possible improvement.

@Unkle - We're part way into the next generation Sim Commander / SimVibe development. Your suggestion to provide an easy way to test an effect is a good one. You're not alone, we've been getting this request for years. As it turns out, a simple tone generation isn't sufficient because most SimVibe effects have a dynamically changing tone.

The best solution we could come up with is to allow high resolution telemetry recordings, facilitating the ability to play back some or all of an actual lap for a particular car/track. Basically, you can tune an effect "offline" (not driving) but with actual dynamic data.

Combined with the Sim Commanders Visual Lap and Telemetry Analyzer and charting capability, you get a far more powerful SimVibe analysis toolset than can be had with 3rd party tools like those Krafty is using. I say this because again, SimVibe effects are very dynamic, constantly changing in frequency (tone) and amplitude (volume). 3rd party tools can only show you the final outcome. The Sim Commander can show you a matched set of vehicle telemetry data, an individual SimVibe effects resulting tone and frequency, and the final outcome after the effects have been mixed.

Hopefully this will meet your stated objective and then some. If not, please join us in the SimXperience Owners Club forum and set me straight.

Hi Berney,

Im just having fun investigating and to get a better grip on things. Mainly because still so much confusion or lack of proper guidance is available. I do not doubt the abilities of the software but what is missing is simplified enjoyment of it. The monitoring solution I use does help for the purpose of this but once I have settings dialled in I do not need to use it. Really it is more for learning, tuning and optimising how I can configure the software to suit my own hardware and preference.

4 hours ago, Crafty Fox said:

Hi UNKLE,
Yes said this many times in the past. Odd that it doesn't have such as Simvibe does have the "TEST" in the setup settings to allow the user to set a tone (Hz) and how long it lasts for.

However I can confirm that it is very inaccurate, for example if you set to 40Hz, it does not output only 40Hz. 

I personally recommend users use Tone Generators to get an idea how their tactile operate with various frequencies. I have looked at several in the past and will add a link to one I prefer...

Yep tone generator is the best way I found too to get the range of vibrations that'll work well with your setup.

Even a "test" button beside every effect would do, ie it switches off all the other effects and opens up the sim, that way you can feel just that one effect so you can dial it in better, rather than manually having to switch everything off and then back on again

I kinda get what your sayin in how having the frequencies used for the effects tone range could generate a sine-wave as Tone Generators do this. Although as he said due to how it all works and effects being dynamic that would not give a proper or true representation of the effect in operation.  

As Berney says what I am doing only shows the final outcome that is going to the transducer/buttkicker.

Apologies for my blubbering on....
I am totally fine with that as really my own work is to best tune my "output mixer effects" to suit my hardware for each title. To understand beyond just "seat of the pants" testing how/when effects are operating and remove much of the mystery from the operation of the sliders. I already have learned quite a bit from basic tests and playing around but need to get more serious to put it towards making better usable profiles and collecting the findings. 

Really I do not want to appear as recommending this approach for others but it has been highlighted to show what I can achieve from doing it. Such may be helpful one day towards a new unofficial guide or something and that is part of my reason for doing it. Certainly I am open to discuss such more or just not bother if nobody really has much interest and continue to work on my own rig using this method.

Thanks...

There is definitely interest in what you're doing, Crafty. I think most users are just getting by with having some vibrations here and there and being OK with that. With the right hardware Simvibe could be a whole new experience. It's just a pity that due to is being so complex (in a good and a bad way), many people miss out on what it truly can deliver. 

On 28/06/2016 at 10:53 AM, anton_chez said:

There is definitely interest in what you're doing, Crafty. I think most users are just getting by with having some vibrations here and there and being OK with that. With the right hardware Simvibe could be a whole new experience. It's just a pity that due to is being so complex (in a good and a bad way), many people miss out on what it truly can deliver. 

Hi again, I started a thread on the official forums to try and gather some discussion.
Made some progress with what I am trying and added a few new videos like this one.

Here you can clearly see each channel in operation in AC with general road bumps/surges/textures/impacts.
It is an example how I will track and better study individual effects and changes "slider settings" make.

See Here

Qb4J61sl.png