Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Logitech Momo / MX Simulator reviews, MOTY Awards, TSC #12

25 posts in this topic

http://www.isrtv.com presents episode 57 sponsored by http://www.simraceway.com. On this show we cover MX Simulator http://www.mxsimulator.com. This might be the first real Motocross sim ever. We also take a look at the Logitech Momo Wheel. This is one of the most loved wheels on the planet and we will find it if it deserves the attention. Also 2 more cars are being added to the Top Sim Cars of all time list. The Toyota Corolla AE86 and FSONE for Rfactor. And to cap off what is already a great show we have the 3rd annual Mod of the Year Awards by Simraceway when Jessica will be giving away the top honor trophies.

I hate to be a nit-picker in my first post, but...

I have been watching ISR from the berginning and am finding it more and more annoying that you both don't bother to "write things down". I think it's very disrespectful to the MOD makers and the IRL drivers of the cars when you can't be bothered to remember names or models, or even just write them down.

I wish you could be more professional, and stop being two "aw-shucks" sim-racers that talk about stuff they like. And, please talk to the camera; not each other,or the paper in your hand.

Sorry to be so negative, it's been building up inside me for a long time.

I thnk you provide a great service.

Hi, guys.

I enjoy just about every episode you guys put out. You have come a pretty long way from where you started in terms of the layout and production of your show. I know that this is something you do for the love of the hobby so I don't expect a 100% professionally produced show. Keep up the good work!

MOTY:

Those Toyota 4 cyl. (AE86 club) cars are a ton of fun to race! They are everything I wouldn't even consider to try. However, they got my vote for car of the year but I guess F1 has a stronger following. ;)

BTW: I made the jump over to iRacing for 1 month. I'm going to give it an honest run and see how it stacks up against my other sims. So far, I can see why folks are subscribing and staying active. But man, I would've loved to see them offer a DVD version a each series (something we can actually own). I know folks can argue that point but I guess I'm just old school and need to have something to put my fingerprints on to feel a true sense of ownership.

Enjoyed the show! I'm glad you did the MOMO wheel as that's the wheel I have. It also convinced me I need to move up as the lack of turning radius will hurt me in iRacing and other sims. Thanks again for your efforts!

Good episode. I have one suggestion related to presentation: Lose the loose paper ;)

Grab a cheap notebook from craigslist and get some teleprompter software (Or just use Powerpoint). Years ago I was a trainer and I started with notes. After some time I switched to powerpoint. I really got used to it quickly and kept me from shuffling paper during the courses.

I would also still like to see every episode include a segement that would make every episode a must see, and more importantly segments that encourage re-viewing.

Reviews are on-shots. You see them and then they are old news. Nobody needs to see a review more than once, they see it, form their own opinion and done.

There are however plenty of other types of content that would encourage people to keep visiting Youtube or your site.

Great episode guys, that MX Simulator looked great for a one-man project, I've never heard of it before! And your presenting work is getting better with every episode, with all three of you seemingly growing more accustomed to working in front of the camera. Agreed with FCONE - investing in an old craptop with some Powerpoint slides would go a long way!

However it was a bit weird knowing what the top 2 cars were from your Top Sim Cars segment BEFORE the awards segment though. Good to see TCL up there too, that's an excellent mod.

As for the MOMO wheel, you were quite harsh IMO! The wheel is 8 years old - imagine doing this review back in the day when it wasn't competing with the G25 or DFGT. It was my first FF wheel too. I was the guy who modded it to get more rotation a few years ago, and it was a combination of the simple internal mods plus the more difficult external mods not directly relating to the wheel itself to fit inside an old FSAE chassis. The amount of work inside the wheel wasn't that extensive, but without the external mods of a lengthened steering column and bearings it's not really worth it. But the extra rotation was really nice - 240deg or whatever it had was extremely limiting.

And I agree with the pedals too! They were pretty bad. Mine ended up having spiking pots so I built my own pedals and threw the old ones in the cupboard. Apparently the pots were pretty poor and failed very often with heavy use. And one reason for the new steering column I built was due to the excessive wear of the wheel's main axle - it's all plastic so after a while it ground itself up and developed quite a bit of slop (and with the ground up plastic in there it accelerated the wear). The paddles were also prone to failure because they loaded up the switches inside such that the connections to the circuit board would fatigue.

But all in all I got some great mileage out of my wheel, which was second-hand when I got it in the first place. I eventually upgraded from my pretty hacked up MOMO to a G25 anyway (I say hacked up, moreso due to all my tinkering!).

These days the DFGT is definitely the wheel to get in that price range, but back in the day it was quite a capable wheel. After upgrading to the G25, I really started missing those 6 buttons on the front!

Keep up the good work guys and gal!

Great episode but a couple things..

I wasn't a big fan of the MOMO Racing Force(Yes, that is it's name) Review. Primarily, because as has been mentioned the wheel is 8 years old. Plus a correction, The MOMO Racing Force is no longer being produced by Logitech, what you can buy are whats left. Also, the wheel has been replaced by the Driving Force GT.

Personally, the MOMO RF was my first FF wheel, and I Was amazed by it. As time went on I realized it's limitations, but I dealt with them. My only issue with the wheel was that in 6 years I went through 4 of them. I would still have one if it weren't for the fact that Logitech has stopped production on them, instead they sent me a new DFGT in it's place.

All in all a Nice episode but a small bit of fact checking would've been nice.

Guest Username

Darin ... you are absolute proof that F1 needs at least one race in the U.S.A. Perhaps the new USF1 team will peak your interest in the series this year. Don't miss out. The 2010 season is looking pretty interesting right now. FYI ... Lotus and Mercedes are back on the grid.

Great show ... keep up the good work!

Im honestly just horrible with names.. I never forget a face.. names.. all the time.. I know it was Fernado Alonso in the ING car and that Massa drove for Ferrari and had that horrible accident last year. Felt so bad for him.. Suspension part or whatever just slamming his helmet like that..Hopefully he's back this year.

By the way.. we ran into Lewis Hamilton last year while filming something for ISI.

Darin

Darin ... you are absolute proof that F1 needs at least one race in the U.S.A. Perhaps the new USF1 team will peak your interest in the series this year. Don't miss out. The 2010 season is looking pretty interesting right now. FYI ... Lotus and Mercedes are back on the grid.

Great show ... keep up the good work!

Bottom line, it was a cool episode. I like that you all seem to have a lot of fun while producing it. Jess looked Great, especially in the Verbage T. Just keep putting out a great show and people will continue to watch and support.

As far as the talk about professionalism:

I watch your shows for entertainment and good info on a subject I enjoy. I realize your not the nightly news that's probably what makes it fun to watch!

Input:

Do something on Hardware mods, shifters, wheels, pedals, rigs, etc. Get close up and show the work done. I like to tinker with this stuff and want to steal,.. I mean get ideas... from some of these bitchen creations.

thank you very much for the momo review, it was absolutely spot on! the dampening completely ruins the ffb and people have to know what they are missing with this wheel.

As for the MOMO wheel, you were quite harsh IMO! The wheel is 8 years old - imagine doing this review back in the day when it wasn't competing with the G25 or DFGT.
the sad truth is that this wheel is way below the Microsoft Sidewinder FFB wheel in both effects and build quality! and the sidewinder was introduced in 1998! also the momo cost twice as much as the MS wheel when it was new, but logitech got away with it because they were smart enough to slap a brand name on their product.

Shawn & Darin

quick question: is there a reason the podcasts aren't showing up? or is it me?

i'll watch the show one way or another, but downloading is the best way for me

thanks guys 4 the only show of it's kind!

Blip TV was nothing but problems for us and thats who hosted our podcasts.. We're looking into an alternative..

Sorry for the problem..

Darin

Shawn & Darin

quick question: is there a reason the podcasts aren't showing up? or is it me?

i'll watch the show one way or another, but downloading is the best way for me

thanks guys 4 the only show of it's kind!

Blip TV was nothing but problems for us and thats who hosted our podcasts.. We're looking into an alternative..

Sorry for the problem..

Darin

ZOMG, what's wrong with SRT... iRacing cars are so much better than podcasts :lol: (inside joke... sort of)

the sad truth is that this wheel is way below the Microsoft Sidewinder FFB wheel in both effects and build quality! and the sidewinder was introduced in 1998! also the momo cost twice as much as the MS wheel when it was new, but logitech got away with it because they were smart enough to slap a brand name on their product.

A mate had a Sidewinder FFB wheel and the gearing inside it ruined everything for me. It definitely felt worse than the MOMO (which is saying something - the MOMO wasn't the best in terms of damping). Felt as though I was turning a truckfull of gears inside, much moreso than the MOMO.

Personal opinion I suppose, but how many Sidewinders do you still see on rigs these days compared to MOMOs? Logitech must have done at least something right. ;)

Some things about MX-Sim :

- You should have downloaded some mods/skins cause the game looks 10 times better with them loaded (like GPL with GPLEA)

- http://elsinore.mxsimulator.com:8080/mxsim/ (LFSWorld like website for MXSim)

- http://www.puremxs.com/ : (rFactor-central for MXSim)

- Maybe you should have shown some footage of people actually able to drive MXS like a pro (no pun intended but after 2 weeks you are still only an amateur in MXS). You guys are pro simraces so for simracing using your own footage is ok. But in MXS you clearly are not yet pro so the footage looks a little silly (compare it to the NFS-Shift footage that would popup before the game was released). like

A mate had a Sidewinder FFB wheel and the gearing inside it ruined everything for me. It definitely felt worse than the MOMO (which is saying something - the MOMO wasn't the best in terms of damping). Felt as though I was turning a truckfull of gears inside, much moreso than the MOMO.

Personal opinion I suppose, but how many Sidewinders do you still see on rigs these days compared to MOMOs? Logitech must have done at least something right. ;)

well MS stopped production of the sidewinder in 2003 or 2004 iirc while the momo is still on sale by logitech. i think that would be a reason. also microsoft never released a proper driver for windows xp. there were a lot of problems with the nfs games in particular. for example if you hit an obstacle the wheel wouldnt stop rattling until you hit something else. as far as i can tell these problems are gone with the 64bit driver that comes with vista and windows 7. but i think the number one reason is the momo brand name and the more realistic GT look of the wheel. maybe MS would have been more successful if they had made an OMP wheel. :D

the gearing is not so cool i agree but wait till you get your hands on a g25, this is much worse! feels like sawing wood! i'm really satisfied with mine but that cogwheel feel is definitely a problem. even the dfgt feels much better in that regard. as soon as i can afford it, i'm gonna switch to a belt-driven fanatec.

Have you tested every car and come to a different result ?

Lots of categories to get it to the top. Skins, default sets .. etc..

Some need to realize that the Skins score can effect where it lands on the scale.. If iRacing included say 10 killer authentic paint schemes for us to race, their skins scores would go to 5.

I find it very interesting that the top two sim cars are for rFactor..that really "OLD" sim... :D

Hey Guys..

Radar here, thanks again for the award, I have sent Jessica a couple of emails regarding this award and who to give my details too.

Below is the last email I got back from Jessica and I guess I am just wondering who the 'appropriate people' are as I have not heard from them..

Hello Radar,

I've recieved your email and it was forwarded to the appropriate people to get you your lovley trophy! What a prize right?! Congradulations to you for all your effort and hard work.

Thanks for watching the show.

Jessica

Sorry to write in here regarding this but I would really like to see this arrive, take some pics and add a pic to the loading screen of the updated Canberra 400 release in the coming months.

Cheers.

Radar.

P.S. Great job you guys do, keep up the great work and thanks again for the award.