Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to the sim world

11 posts in this topic

I will be getting into the sim world in the next week or so.  I've never done it so I don't want to spend boat loads of money before I try it.

I will be using a HP Pavilion Elite HPE to run the game and I have the LogitechE-X5C19 (that's the GT wheel I think) and pedals.  I just wanted to make sure that the pedals would work on iRacing.  

Welcome aboard Joseph! Be sure and chime in when you get your hardware. I'm a newbie too, but hey, we ALL started here at one time or another. There are some really cool cats here that have been doing this for a great many years, and could humble each of us in about any race without breaking a sweat so I have a LOT of learning to do for sure, but you won't find a nicer group of folks to kick ideas back and forth.  iRacing is a real rush, and if you approach this without a "bang em up" mentality, it will blow you away because you find out there is a LOT more to racing a sim than holding a steering wheel and nailing the gas...lol. I'm nowhere near ready to take on live racers...yet.  I've never seen such realism in a racing sim. You screw up on the track and you AND your car know it...lol. Forza is fun, and Forza Horizon let's you get a taste of the fresh outdoor air for more than just a race, and do so with a wheel, and stick AND a clutch. Yea... I'm loving it! I have to warn you though...

This "stuff" get's addictive AND expensive. We are living proof of the only difference between men and boys.....

Welcome aboard Joseph! Be sure and chime in when you get your hardware. I'm a newbie too, but hey, we ALL started here at one time or another. There are some really cool cats here that have been doing this for a great many years, and could humble each of us in about any race without breaking a sweat so I have a LOT of learning to do for sure, but you won't find a nicer group of folks to kick ideas back and forth.  iRacing is a real rush, and if you approach this without a "bang em up" mentality, it will blow you away because you find out there is a LOT more to racing a sim than holding a steering wheel and nailing the gas...lol. I'm nowhere near ready to take on live racers...yet.  I've never seen such realism in a racing sim. You screw up on the track and you AND your car know it...lol. Forza is fun, and Forza Horizon let's you get a taste of the fresh outdoor air for more than just a race, and do so with a wheel, and stick AND a clutch. Yea... I'm loving it! I have to warn you though...

This "stuff" get's addictive AND expensive. We are living proof of the only difference between men and boys.....

I'll definitely start conservative.  I plan on staying in the rookie races for a while.

The rookie races can get down right scarey and very frustrating if you care about the SR and IR.(and you should,just not enough to ruin the fun)

Add me when you get there and we will host a server with the MX5 or Street stock.It's about time some of the veterans got together again with some of the newbs to properly demonstrate how 8 tires give better grip than 4.(inside line joke)

Some people have it,,some people never get it,,but nobody ever gets it overnight.It's a simulation and it's difficult to do properly.

"iRacing is a real rush, and if you approach this without a "bang em up" mentality, it will blow you away because you find out there is a LOT more to racing a sim than holding a steering wheel and nailing the gas" <<<IvStilGotItNmE nailed it here.There is a lot to sim racing whether it be at iRacing or of of the other fine sims out there.Drive like you're paying for the repairs yourself.

The rookie races can get down right scarey and very frustrating if you care about the SR and IR.(and you should,just not enough to ruin the fun)

Add me when you get there and we will host a server with the MX5 or Street stock.It's about time some of the veterans got together again with some of the newbs to properly demonstrate how 8 tires give better grip than 4.(inside line joke)

Some people have it,,some people never get it,,but nobody ever gets it overnight.It's a simulation and it's difficult to do properly.

"iRacing is a real rush, and if you approach this without a "bang em up" mentality, it will blow you away because you find out there is a LOT more to racing a sim than holding a steering wheel and nailing the gas" <<<IvStilGotItNmE nailed it here.There is a lot to sim racing whether it be at iRacing or of of the other fine sims out there.Drive like you're paying for the repairs yourself.

SR and IR?  Remember I'm a noob.   :grin:

The Safety rating is a system that compares the amount of incidents you incur over a series of corners you run.Every time you put a wheel off the track,touch the wall or have contact with another car (whether it's your fault or not) there are varying degrees of incident recorded.If you have an incident during a qualifying lap or while on a time trial that particular lap or TT string of laps won't count.You need to drive clean.Safety rating is the key component for advancing and always a topic of debate especially amongst the newer people to iRacing.I'm quite frankly sick of arguing about it here.It's not perfect but it works.When you get to iRacing don't blame everyone else for your bad SR.

The iRating is a system that helps group drivers up with others of similar skills so everyone has a chance of winning.It's complicated but if you finish well your IR will increase and if you finish poorly your IR will decrease.The system works best in the more popular series where there is more than 1 split.If 48 drivers register for a 12 car field race they are grouped into 4 splits.The top split will have drivers with IR 2000 and above and the bottom split will have drivers with IR of 1000 and bellow.(just an example figures will vary)This all goes out the window with the less popular series like the Lotus79 where there is 1 split usually and they conspire amongst themselves to make that happen.

There is also a time trial rating.You get 1/2 an hour to complete a set amount of laps clean.Depending on the track and car it could be 4 laps it could be 10.

iRacing has a built in radio system.You don't need team speak.There is an open channel where everyone can talk to each other,there are team and there are private channels.If I want to set up my own channel I type into the chat @ADD code (code being whatever alpha numerical code I want.)Anyone who wants to join my channel simply types in the same code.I currently have the spotter function turned off but you can have a friend spot for you.When you hover your cursor over a friends name on your list it should give you the option of joining the race or practice session(provided the race has not yet started)watching the race in spectator mode (where you can ghost race and nobody can see you)or spot for that person.If you choose to spot for that person you will enter the server as a spectator only and that person only will hear you speak.( the haters don't want to talk about this and all the other things you get for penny's a day when you pay to play at iRacing.)

As for headsets that all depends on how much money you want to spend.I wanted to spend too much so I have the Sennheiser PC360 Gamers.People talk highly of turtle beach,steel series and astro.You can't go wrong with a Logitech G35.One thing to be aware of is some headsets are USB and some are 3.5 mm jacks that plug into your soundcard.Last I heard buttkickers do not work with USB headsets but that may have changed with Simvibes dedicated sound card requirement.

Here's a comparison of many popular headsets.As with anything you get what you pay for in terms of comfort and sound quality.With wireless you would sacrifice some sound quality when compared with a corded headset of similar value.I had a G35 and at $80 is a screaming deal hear if you don't mind USB.

http://gaming-headsets-review.toptenreviews.com/learning-center.html