F1 Wheel for T500 with SLI-PRO ,Rotary switches ,Extra LEDs (edit: with driving video)
4 4

71 posts in this topic

http://www.f1wheelmod.com

This seems to be a good place to get it done :-P

At least my own wheel is presently there to get modded. I hope that I am satisfied with the result. I hesitated to do, what Marcus did, because I just don't have the skills and the tools. But maybe some time in the future I will do my own "project" :shock:

That's an awesome mod, well done. It shurely needs a lot of courage and skill to start such a project with heavy modifications like this. By the way, thanks for the large tutorial... =)

Thanks, I am really glad I did it , it's one of those things that I want to go through to really appreciates the real wheel they use in real F1 cars. no wonder the real things cost 45 -50k. I know this is not close , but it has been very satisfying experience.

awesome, im sure anybody with the t500 would happley hand over cash for you to do this mod for them

love to do more. but I don't think I can take the pressure - this is my first time opening and doing something like this, plus I just bought the wheel for less than a week, and the T500. , open them up straight away did this. I have never use the wheel before the conversion :P 

http://www.f1wheelmod.com

This seems to be a good place to get it done :-P

At least my own wheel is presently there to get modded. I hope that I am satisfied with the result. I hesitated to do, what Marcus did, because I just don't have the skills and the tools. But maybe some time in the future I will do my own "project" :shock:

As much as Id like to recommend him, the non existence in rotary switch in his mod, really disables the true usage of the F1 wheel, with SLI-PRO you can push it to it's maximum potential. 

for instance. I did a quick guide on how you map the rotary switch to iRacing Black Boxes. 

in F1 2012. I assign this for info and with a bit more scripting (read desty Script ), you can configure each position on the Switch to be Fuel mix Rich, Normal and Lean . use 2 more switches for Tyre and BRake bias for F1 2012.

Quote"

Rotary encoders are nice for volume controls, adjusting seat, in fact the old analogue radio tuner and Volume knob on your car that you pressed to turn it on and rotate to adjust volume are all rotary encoders.

However if you try to turn on the encoder’s knob , Say you assigned “NEXT Black box” and “Prev black box” on an encoder, each pulse when turning act as a press of a button, while its fantastic – it’s hard to stop at a certain point unless you focus your attention to the screen of what is displaying while you turn the encoder’s knob – and this, might not be very good while you drive.

Rotary Switches in other hand provide a stopping point and/or precise-exact location for a function/press , during race /practice, this is critical -,Every time the knob turns to a position, it acts as if a button is pressed , (like in the video Position 1 can be an F1 and position 3 can be F12 – it doesn’t’ have to go through 4-11 to get to 12, unlike encoders).

I see your point Marcus,

but you have to decide between keeping the original Thrustmaster PCB (and PS3-compatibility), or go for rotary switches. The reason is the limitation of space inside the wheel. Also, if you go only with the SLI-PRO board (and remove the original PCB), you lose functions. For example in your case, you lost both D-Pads and the 3 metal 3-way-switches.

So you need to make compromises. Also the SLI-PRO is much more expensive as (for example) the Sim Race Pro (120 GBP versus 75 EUR). You have to consider this as well. I am just trying to figure out, how to get the most use out of this wheel. And the best possibility seems to be to keep boths PCB's (original Thrustmaster and Sim Race Pro/SLI-PRO) inside the wheel.

One example: Thrustmaster only uses the 3-way-switches only as 2-ways. This is done by the mini-PCB attatched to the switches. Both positions of the switches result in the same signal. So by removing this mini-PCB and wiring the switches to the SLI/Simdisplay-board you can get full use out of the switches. But you need the original PCB, otherwise you run out of connectable buttons. ("only" 16 on the SLI-PRO)

And (I can only speak for myself) I don't see the reason for "must-have" rotary switches. For example I plan to use 4 of the encoders for Brake Bias, Front ARB, Rear ARB and Wheight Jacker (Dallara IndyCar @iRacing). I think the encoder should work well for this purpose.

You are right, the ability to use a 12-position-rotary-switch is somewhat amazing. But it has it's price (speaking of cost and space limitations).

So in an "ideal world" I would like to keep the original PCB, add the SLI-PRO with rotary switches and clutch-paddels behind the wheel. But I guess, if I want to have that, I shouldn't start with the Thrustmaster add-on wheel, but start witch a white sheet of paper instead...

And BTW (regarding Kai):

I don't have the skills and the tools to do it. But I wanted to keep the original metal-front of the wheel, like you did. But with his rotary-mod, he is not able to provide that, due to the mentioned space-limitations inside. So I need to make a compromise here as well. Even if it hurts a bit... (But I hope the carbon look will cure me quickly :-P )

anyone know how to embed video here, I've posted 2-3 video in there in a link form, but not sure on the new forum on how to do the embed. 

any help appreciated. thanks guys

For future, take the You Tube ID number and then click on that BBC code button.> Scroll down and select You Tube. Then paste the link or video id in that box and it will embed. I fixed most of them for you btw..  :wink: Not sure I caught all of em though

On another note.. Thanks so much for sharing that awesome mod !!  Also thanks for showing us all how to do it. Time to get Shaun to work !!!

PS: I "pinned" and moved this topic to the Thrustmaster section. 

For future, take the You Tube ID number and then click on that BBC code button.> Scroll down and select You Tube. Then paste the link or video id in that box and it will embed. I fixed most of them for you btw..  :wink: Not sure I caught all of em though

On another note.. Thanks so much for sharing that awesome mod !!  Also thanks for showing us all how to do it. Time to get Shaun to work !!!

PS: I "pinned" and moved this topic to the Thrustmaster section. 

Thanks Darin, got it Special BBCode( third from left icon) - thanks for fixing it. yes. you got all of them  :ugeek: :)

Im just glad I can give something back, if this is even worth anything, the reason it took so long is because, I have to copy and paste everything and do the picture each one, whilst on my blog, I can just email the post complete, it will auto post- never mind, going to do more often so practice makes better.

Can't wait to see Shaun's version

Thanks for liking it, maybe this could become useful to someone one day :) 

@itrdc5

The service in Australia/NZ/asia region is a nice idea, I wish I can purchase this thing we call "TIME" a little bit more to even start thinking about this :P

Very well done!!!!

I modified The Thrustmaster F1 Wheel to put on a G27 and I can say it was a pain in the A**

I only used the Pc board out of the g27 so that made things a little easier.

Yours looks truly amazing!!!

I continued modding my own wheel by adding 5 of these rotary encoders (http://www.symprojects.com/shop/rotary-encoder/)

As already said above, the initial mod (http://www.simdisplay.net/komponenta/SIM_Race_PRO) was done by "modmate" (http://f1wheelmod.webs.com/). I was very happy with the result.

Next I will do is adding a 12-position rotary switch (http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/709700/Lorlin-Stufenschalter-250-VAC-Kontaktzahl-1-x-12-015-A;jsessionid=B01F43B0AB14DC069269A68F67B57259.ASTPCEN01) to convert the "Ferrari Knob" into a switch.

Pictures (including WIP shots) will follow when I have finished my work! :-P

Many thanks to Marcus for a lot of useful information :)

Hi guy's, last week i finished my wheel mod. I used 2 rotary switches and 3 encoders on my wheel. The pcb is not removed so i have benefit of the pcb and the sli-pro. Wat i did was modify the pcb to have enough space for my 2 switches. The wheel is in carbon fiber look wich i did by using hydrografic waterprint.

Pics wil folow tomorrow. :wink:

Here are the pictures as promised

1post-12859-0-88029800-1368185474_thumb.j

2post-12859-0-21827600-1368185530_thumb.j

3post-12859-0-61698400-1368185577_thumb.j

4post-12859-0-71667400-1368185628_thumb.j

5post-12859-0-90686900-1368185658_thumb.j

6post-12859-0-05984000-1368185682_thumb.j

7post-12859-0-64853700-1368186535_thumb.j

post-12859-0-25160000-1368185423_thumb.j

post-12859-0-81808800-1368185603_thumb.j

Thx m8.

it's not so difficult to do, there are minor parts to be cut away. I want to thank Marcus for sharing his pics, I was planning to do it his way but i wanted to keep the pcb and the shifter springs for their functionality. The 2 upper rotarys are 12 pos. switches, the 3 other ones are encoders. (they are more flat and fit easely under the pcb) The center knob i kept fix, but you can put there a encoder more. 

Planning to make Paddle Clutches?

Not yet, i want to figger out a way to make a electrical quick disconnect for the wheel. I have one but it's not electrical, so i want to convert it. I payed it 95€, the ones with the build in wires are very expensive and make the wheel to expensive. I want to try to keep it as cheap as possible, it wil have benefit for the most of the guy's here, not everybody can spend so much money to modify the wheel.