Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My DIY wheel for the g27

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, first time poster here and I thought I would show my first attempt at building a new wheel for my g27.

Wheel and grips were made using some MDF I had laying around and a jigsaw for the cutouts, and dremel for rounding the edges and spots to fit my fingers better.

Sorry for the not so great pics, was using my iPhone.

Grips glued and everything sanded down.

2nu6gz5.jpg

Next I cut out the button plate from the side panel of an old pc case.  Rough cuts first.
muzz80.jpg

Edges of the button plate were then filed down by hand and with the dremel and the carbon fiber overlay was applied.
m9vgaf.jpg

Next the plate was drilled out and buttons added in.
29f59gx.jpg

Now that I had buttons happening, I needed a way to use them in all my sims, so I hacked apart a spare ps3 controller and soldered all the wires.
3478f21.jpg

After soldering I quickly checked a few buttons and all was good.  Windows detects the ps3 controller, I am using the motionjoy software for windows.

Here is a quick test fit of the plate and buttons onto the wheel.
2ih7z87.jpg

Looking not too bad so far.

It took my a long time to figure out what to do for the grips, decided on using some rubbery bed liner spray. It feels pretty nice and has a good grip to it, looks ok I suppose, a leather like material would be nicer, but I didnt have any laying around, nor am I good at stiching something like that to fit the wheel.   We'll see though, maybe I'll attempt wrapping the wheel in leather next.

Grips.
muhqva.jpg

I notched out some of the MDF in the bottom backside of the wheel to fit the PCB from the ps3 controller and used a few drops of epoxy to hold it firmly in place.

Looks like a mess.
20iwfg9.jpg

Started wiring up the buttons. Still a mess.
259lac5.jpg

After a bit of time trying to sort these wires out, i tried my best to make a look a little 'prettier' heh.
200fzv4.jpg

And that is pretty much it, first wheel completed (for now).  I am most likely going to order the SLI-Pro, possibly the SLI-M, in the next little bit and add that to the blank area at the top of the wheel.   This will also allow me to remove the ps3 controller PCB and make it look more 'professional', I hope.. 

Anyways, final wheel shot.

2eyc8zk.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed viewing this, feel free to ask any questions.

Tyson.

ps. I'll try to get a pic of my cockpit with this wheel mounted shortly..

That DIY wheel looks great, well done. Will you add a back plate to cover up the cables and buttons?

I slaughtered a PS3 gamepad myself a few weeks ago, I intended to build a button box with it. Sadly I stumbled over that circuit foil in it, connecting the cables directly to the pcb didn't seem practicable to me.

It seems to work fine in your case, so can you give out some tips on how to get the wiring/soldering right? Did you somehow prepare the PCB board before the soldering? What are those resistors for?

Thanks for your help in advance...

Thanks for the reply.

I will be adding a back plate to the wheel, but only after I get the sli installed, as the current setup for the buttons is only temporary, and a test to see if I could do it.

As far as modifying a ps3 controller, I think it varies per model.  When I tried to find info on the one I took apart it seemed challenging, all the info I found related to another style of PCB.  I'm assuming the 'foil' you are referring to is the membrane for the buttons themselves?  If so, on my style of PCB, i removed that membrane/overlay piece thus having to add the resistors.  The membrane itself has built in resistors, so I have to add them in between 2 different pinout locations in order to use the controller board without the added membrane.  As far as soldering to the PCB, i did have to scrape off the coating over the points with an exacto knife in order to make my connections.  If you search around on google im sure you will be able to find the proper diagram for whichever ps3 controller you have.  It really wasnt that difficult, just a steady hand.

Tyson.

Thanks for your info, I didn't know about the built-in resistors in that membrane thingy. =) The PCB board of mine looks the same like yours, so it seems I have the same controller type that you have. I'll search via google and if I don't make a find I'll ask you a few more questions about the wiring. You said you will add a SLI, I assume you'll connect the buttons to it, too. Are the SLI boards PS3 compatible?

Thanks Darin! I will try to get a video done and sent to you.  Would be pretty awesome being mentioned on the show  :-P

Here are a few pics of it mounted to my cockpit.

10deikm.jpg

Quick rundown of my setup.

Apiga AP1 cockpit (rebranded) with optional keyboard and mouse trays

Logitech g27 pedals and wheel

Thrustmaster TH8rs shifter

3 x 22" LG led monitors

Intel i5 3570k

8gb ram

ATI 7970 3gb video card

Other peripherals and hardware, but thats basically the good stuff.

I run all my race sims at a resolution of 5760x1080 and absolutely love it  :-P

Anyways, on to a few more pics.

fz3fok.jpg

2db2xjp.jpg

As you can see I have VERY limited space to have a setup like this.  So I had to build my own triple display stand that could swivel out of the way when I'm not using it.

Racing position.

2nk6ro2.jpg

And out of the way position

2lbyj3d.jpg

Thanks for looking

Tyson.

As for cost, I'm not entirely sure.  The monitor stand I built myself with materials I had already.  The wheel was built in the same fashion, other than some of the buttons which I think set me back about $40.  The PC and triple displays was around  $2000.  The g27 and th8rs together are about $350 or so.  Then the cockpit was about $500.

Including some of the other odds and ends, Im going to guess just over $3000 for the entire setup.

Oh, regarding the question on using the SLI with a ps3 that DerKaffeemann asked, I'm not entirely sure.  I don't use my ps3 at all so I'm not concerned about compatibility.

Tyson.

Oh, regarding the question on using the SLI with a ps3 that DerKaffeemann asked, I'm not entirely sure.  I don't use my ps3 at all so I'm not concerned about compatibility.

Tyson.

Ok, there are some way cheaper gamepads on the PC that are even easier to mod. That's why I thought you were on PS3, since you slaughtered a PS3 controller. But thankfully your build showed me how the PS3 controller could be used. Therefore I should set the status of my PS3 button box project from FAILED to WIP =)...

Yes the small screen above the displays is an ipad.   Use it for iHud only, which, unfortunately only works in iracing and rfactor.  Wish there was a similar program for the simbin titles, rbr, and so on.

DerKaffeemann, I'm glad this has possibly helped you in your ps3 project.  Good luck with it :D

Tyson.