Gunstar's Racing Rig: Simple is better? - "Updated" 06/11/16
7 7

285 posts in this topic

Please go to the last page for the latest updates!

My rig as of 06/11/16:
012.JPG

Video Tour from 9/19/2015:

Original post from 1/1/2013 is as follows:

Hey guys, long time reader, infrequent poster. Just took the plunge with an ikea table and a 32 inch TV with my Fanatec wheelstand, and a car seat on a homemade base to make a "dedicated" driving setup and am loving it. I have always wanted to do triples tho, and was thinking that another ikea table and 2 more 32 inches might do the trick... plus my PC instead of my PS3 of course. SO I was wondering what the pros/cons would be of instead of getting monitors I just grabbed a couple more of these TV's and used them to do triple screens? The TV's are APEX 60Hz 720p and my current video card is a GeForce 660TI, so I'm pretty sure it will do the trick, please experts, I need your knowledge! Thanks.

Edited by Gunstar

In my opinion, I think you'd be better off going with triple monitors.  You can get some nice 23" - 24" monitors for around $150 each that will run 1080p.  I would recommend buying 3 of the same type of monitors to avoid any issues getting your resolution set correctly (I run 5760 x 1080). 

I've got three Acer H223H monitors (approx 2 yrs old) and they are still going strong.  Ironically, I also bought a long table from IKEA that's about 7 ft long and works great as a monitor mount, plus gives me room to fit my printer on one end.  Your 660Ti should work great for supporting triple screens.  

Thanks for the input! I'm leaning that way, even if just for the ease of mounting, but I really find the 32 inch size to be about right for my needs... jeez. quality vs size, what a dilemma!

So, long time no visit this topic... I did end up going with the TVs. It came down to cost (they were cheap) size (they were big) and access (I had them at my fingertips) so that's how it went. And I love the setup... although I can see WHY you would want monitors, and the resolution is lower than optimal, although it's certainly workable. Anyhow, here's a couple pix...

post-3263-0-99012100-1362250999_thumb.jp

This is the first night we set it up with my seat, my wheelstand and my G27. 

post-3263-0-37091300-1362251070_thumb.jp

Here's last night, after adding the T500 F1 wheel to the mix (oddly enough, looks like I have F1 2012 in the first pic w/o the F1 wheel and NFS Most Wanted in the second. LOL.) and I've added the T500RS of course, painted the seat base, added some speakers and an old receiver I had to power them and a folding step stool for my mouse and keyboard stand. Oh, and a rug. The rug really brings the whole rig together. =)

Hey guys, long time reader, infrequent poster. Just took the plunge with an ikea table, Fanatec wheelstand, car seat on a homemade base and cheap 32 inch TV to make a "dedicated" driving setup and am loving it. I have always wanted to do triples tho, and was thinking that another ikea table and 2 more cheap 32 inches might do the trick... plus my PC instead of my PS3 of course. SO I was wondering what the pros/cons would be of instead of getting monitors I just grabbed a couple more of these TV's and used them to do triple screens? The TV's are APEX 60Hz 1280p and my current video card is a GeForce 660TI, so I'm pretty sure it will do the trick, please experts, I need your knowledge! Thanks.

Hey Gunstar, you mentioned 1280p. Did you mean 720p? 720P resolution is 1280x720. If you indeed mean a 1280p, you've peaked my interest. Can you please pass me the model number? Thank you very much.

yeah id say that rig sucked but then i looked at the 2nd pic and that rug really does work wonders... :cool: do you get much wheel wiggle with your wheelstand? just a thought but you could strap it to your monitor stand for a bit of added stabiility, it looks sturdy enough, lovin your work gunstar

The setup looks great, all you need now is to ditch the wheel stand and finsh your rig by continuing what you started with the platform under the seat a la deathmobile rig, nice and cheap and very functional. :)

I've seen some pretty nice Deathmobile rigs on these forums, some people did a excellent job with them! :)

Take care and have fun.

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

Hey, thanks guys. 

Hey Gunstar, you mentioned 1280p. Did you mean 720p? 720P resolution is 1280x720. If you indeed mean a 1280p, you've peaked my interest. Can you please pass me the model number? Thank you very much.

I was wrong, they are 720p.

Nice World Cup Soccer 94 by Bally. :P

Thanks! It is my wife's favorite game. it is sitting by my Twilight Zone and JackBot, the last survivors of a once dozens strong pinball collection.

yeah id say that rig sucked but then i looked at the 2nd pic and that rug really does work wonders... :cool: do you get much wheel wiggle with your wheelstand? just a thought but you could strap it to your monitor stand for a bit of added stabiility, it looks sturdy enough, lovin your work gunstar

Coming from a man that built his rig from a shopping cart, i'll take it! honestly, the fanatec stand is pretty burly and i havent noticed excessive movement. The stand is overly sturdy in fact, but i dont think it needs alot of extra support.

The setup looks great, all you need now is to ditch the wheel stand and finsh your rig by continuing what you started with the platform under the seat a la deathmobile rig, nice and cheap and very functional. :)

I've seen some pretty nice Deathmobile rigs on these forums, some people did a excellent job with them! :)

Take care and have fun.

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

Soon my friend! Soon. All part of the plan.

They are Apex 720p TV sets. Not ideal, but thin bezeled, light, easy to mount and dirt cheap, I paid well under $200 each after tax. I love the size, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have went for better resolution... when I decide to upgrade someday I will have learned from this experience. They do the job tho, and my whole triples rig and stand cost me maybe $700... not too shabby.

post-3263-0-07140200-1367386366_thumb.jp

post-3263-0-83891800-1367386455_thumb.jp

Here are a couple newer pics. Notice my super custom footstool/shifter/keyboard stand. =)

I have done some adjusting of the wheel position, switched back to the GT rim and added the TH8RS.

I still want to add a hood, black out the walls behind, add a shifter mount to the seat and come up with a better keyboard solution. Surround sound and some kind of tactile feedback will certainly happen someday.

Nice job with the monitors and car seat!

I can't imagine using that T500 on an RWS though...

I had an RWS with a SCAT Sportsman seat mounted on an 80/20 frame before I built my rig.

I only used  GT2/CSR wheels with it, fast transitions were hell on it even with those small wheels.

I am assuming you hard mounted your T500 pedals to the RWS, I had to go that route when I had my RWS.

I didn't realize how much FFB was lost that was soaked up between the RWS, floor and my arms until I built my rig.

Before I built my rig I tried to come up with a way to secure the front end of the RWS after getting a CSW but couldn't.

Once you bolt that T500 down to a rigid rig you will feel things you don't know exist now.

Hats off, though, you did a hell of a lot with what you have, I really like those monitor mounts.

Nice job with the monitors and car seat!

I can't imagine using that T500 on an RWS though...

I had an RWS with a SCAT Sportsman seat mounted on an 80/20 frame before I built my rig.

I only used  GT2/CSR wheels with it, fast transitions were hell on it even with those small wheels.

I am assuming you hard mounted your T500 pedals to the RWS, I had to go that route when I had my RWS.

I didn't realize how much FFB was lost that was soaked up between the RWS, floor and my arms until I built my rig.

Before I built my rig I tried to come up with a way to secure the front end of the RWS after getting a CSW but couldn't.

Once you bolt that T500 down to a rigid rig you will feel things you don't know exist now.

Hats off, though, you did a hell of a lot with what you have, I really like those monitor mounts.

Thanks Jogo, I think I mentioned before that my original inspiration to get a RWS was a car-seat-on-a-base + RWS pic on GTPlanet, and I am pretty sure it was yours.

The RWS actually holds the T500 rather well. I was afraid at first, but it is as stable as it was with my G27 w/shifter on it, maybe more so because there is more weight down low. I also keep the center post pretty low for monitor clearance and that helps. The pedals are secured to the base of course, no way around that, I need to quit lazing out and drill the wheel deck too.

It is also pretty handy as I can just pull the whole RWS + T500 out and use my flight sticks or other controllers on a little table I have.

I figure someday I'll get a big brute of a rig like a R3volution, but until then, this is great fun! And when I do upgrade I will put the G27 back on the RWS and either use this setup as a guest rig or it will go back to a single screen console rig.

I have been lingering around the forums (as well as a few others) for a while, but didn't sign up until today. I just had to say THANK YOU! I have been looking all over the place for a way to build a sturdy triple TV stand (instead of using monitors) and this is perfect! Nice work!

Are there any things that you would have changed as far as the construction of the stand goes?

You are welcome! 

No changes really, It was designed to be cheap and easy (just like I like 'em!) using materials I had around or could get for as little as possible. It might actually be a little overbuilt, as I expected the TVs to be heavier. I guess to be sure that you get the mounting of the wings right is the main thing... I made kind of a mess of them at first, and one leg is still a little too short, so I shim it at the bottom. If I ever do a V2 I will refine it, but I ended up being mighty pleased for a first attempt.

One other question I had; what angle are the side screens at? Are they 45 or something different? 

I'm currently putting together my list of components and getting ready to start the design process. I have a good idea of what I am going to do, but needed to figure out how I was going to mount the TVs and what the best or suggested angle is for that.

Well, it's looking like I'm getting the oZone that was for sale from SomewhereSimulated next week, and it will replace the Honda seat and the wheelstand I'm using now. I was wondering if any of the oZone users who have T500RS wheels and pedals mounted up can get me some pics of how they did it... my understanding is that the V bar underneath the wheel plate makes things complicated, and I would love to know what people have done to work around it. I'm pretty excited, the price was great and I hope this will keep me satisfied until I get a R3volution. 

Woooo!! SomewhereSimulated came through big, hooking me up with a killer deal on a oZone and he even threw in a Logitech MOMO Force Black, to add to my collection of Logitech wheels. :lol:

A HUGE thanks to SomewhereSimulated for making this happen for me. He's the man. 

Anyways, got the oZone assembled pretty quickly, clamped the T500RS and TH8RS onto it, and slid it in front of my triples and WOW. What a difference. I loved my RWS, but this thing really helps you get into the game. Anyways, here's some pix, sorry the triples aren't on, the PC is in the computer room at the moment so the PS3 is running the rig. I'll probably get that corrected pretty soon tho. :lol:

post-3263-0-59181700-1368855311_thumb.jp

post-3263-0-55786200-1368855331_thumb.jp

post-3263-0-41989800-1368855347_thumb.jp

post-3263-0-84053100-1368855368_thumb.jp