Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xbox 360 or PC version? Are my PC system specs good enough for F1 2012?

13 posts in this topic

I own an Xbox 360; however, I'm wondering if I should by the PC version of F1 2012.  I'm assuming the PC version is probably the better version?  Also, below are my PC system specs...are these sufficient to run F1 2012 with all sim settings on max?

- Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000

- Intel Core i7 920 Processor @  2.67GHz

- 12 GB RAM

- ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card

- Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

Also, I will be using my 48" LED HD TV as the display monitor via HDMI cable connection.  Thank you.

The PC version is better, but Im not sure your system will run it well. That's a very dated graphics card as ATI is now in the 8000 series or maybe 9000. Based on your PC specs, if you get something newer in regards to the graphics card, that system should be pretty good. Get a NVidia 400 series or better or a 7000 or above ATI card. 

I own an Xbox 360; however, I'm wondering if I should by the PC version of F1 2012.  I'm assuming the PC version is probably the better version?  Also, below are my PC system specs...are these sufficient to run F1 2012 will all sim settings on max?

- Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000

- Intel Core i7 920 Processor @  2.67GHz

- 12 GB RAM

- ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card

- Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

Also, I will be using my 48" LED HD TV as the display monitor via HDMI cable connection.  Thank you.

I aint much of a PC guy, but you could run this just for the heck of it......http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Thanks, I ran Can You Run It and it indicated that my system exceeds the minimum requirements for F1 2012, but falls short on the graphics card only for the recommended requirements.

I went ahead and gave the demo a try...I set screen resolution to 1920 x 1080, no multisampling, low shadows...and I also changed the settings in my graphics card software to more "performanc" than "quality" settings and the best my PC can do is 17 fps during the qualifying run at Monza.  I realize my graphics card is dated, but only 17 fps?  Can I assume the full version will perform much better on my PC?

Thanks, I ran Can You Run It and it indicated that my system exceeds the minimum requirements for F1 2012, but falls short on the graphics card only for the recommended requirements.

I went ahead and gave the demo a try...I set screen resolution to 1920 x 1080, no multisampling, low shadows...and I also changed the settings in my graphics card software to more "performanc" than "quality" settings and the best my PC can do is 17 fps during the qualifying run at Monza.  I realize my graphics card is dated, but only 17 fps?  Can I assume the full version will perform much better on my PC?

No, I don't think so. I am afraid an upgrade is in order, like Darin suggested, but  I am no pc expert.

The 5450 is not only outdated, but it was also never intended for gaming. I would, as others have suggested, consider updating your video card. The rest of the specs look fine. There is one spec that you didn't mention that may require an upgrade as well. That is the power supply. Most of today's video cards will require a lot more juice. Do you know what wattage your power supply is able to output? For single display gaming, you actually have a pretty wide assortment of video cards to pick from. I would suggest you don't go south of the nVidia 560TI or the AMD/ATI 7850. They're roughly the same price and performance. For considerations on triple display gaming, I would suggest you either consider multiple display cards or higher performance cards. Multiple cards will ofcourse require even more power from your power supply and a motherboard that supports either SLI(nVidia) or Crossfire(AMD/ATI). Hope this helps. =0)

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, it appears that I must upgrade my graphics card and power supply, which is only 475 watts.  What power supply wattage should I be considering...around 600 watts?

It looks like my reentry into sim racing after a 6 year hiatus is going to cost me around $1000.  I just ordered the Fanatec CSR Wheel, CSR Elite Pedals and RennSport Wheel Stand.  Now throw in a new graphics card and power supply and I'm at the $1K mark.  Oh well, I thought it would cost me a few bucks to do it right.  I was heavily involved in sim racing from 1999 - 2006.  Then I fell in love with another hobby, flying RC airplanes and helicopters and sim racing was tabled at the time.  Recently I caught the bug to go sim racing again after doing some exploring online the available sim racing hardware and new sims.  BTW, not to hijack my own thread, but speaking of wattage, if your are interested, below are a couple of recent videos of me flying my 87" Sbach 300 electric powered RC airplane that produces 5,382 watts of power.  Nothing special on these flights regarding aerobatics because these are just the first few flights on this airplane.  This airplane is a blast to fly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

What power supply you get really depends on what video card and how many video cards you will have. Power is finicky, so I usually tell people to go slightly overboard. For a higher end gaming card, I usually suggest a reserve of about 500watts for the video card and another 300watts for the rest of the system. That should bring you to 800watts. Many like to under estimate the need for quality power, this is one area of the system I would suggest you go over the top on.

@ "racin06"~of course the 'PC" Version is always going to be the best as far as Graphics are concerned..I Guess it all depends on just how good you need the graphics to be,I run the "PS3" version,and though there seems to be some people who think the "PS3" Version is just horrible,and that it looks very shabby graphic wise..I really have no problems with it whatsoever,in fact,to me it looks damn good on my 40inch 1080 SONY UHRHDTV,but if you are the type of guy who needs the best graphics possible and just cannot settle for anything less,then I suppose spending a thousand+ bucks is a necessary evil,but I have seen the 'Xbox 360 version" and though it is not quite up to the 'PC" version graphically,it looks VERY good,and much sharper and more crisp then the "PS3" Version,[it also would save you a thousand bucks!..hehe;)

BTW~VERY KOOL Flying M8! that is an amazing plane and it looks like you have some serious "RC" Flying skills as well,I Absolutely LOVE watching "RC" Planes and helicopters,[can watch em all day!]..there is a group of Vietnam Vets who fly all matter of "RC" Planes and Helicopters where I live,and these guys are about as hardcore as they come,and they fly JETS! I mean REAL Jets! the first time I saw a "RC" Jet,I freaked completely out..lmao,it was a "Wart hog A10" Tank killer and this thing came screaming over me so fast,that I felt the freakin shock wave!mere words cannot describe it,right now one of the guys is building an "SR71 Black bird" that is bigger than a Volkswagen!and from what I understand,is going to cost around 8 thousand dollars...I cant wait to see that baby fly! cheers and gr8 racing..[and flying!;)

I also have the 660TI and a WAY worse processor and less RAM than you do, and I run F1 2012 just fine (50-60 FPS on HIGH settings on the benchmark). You get the advantage of a better wheel selection, MODS (I have a slick F1 "2013" update running right now) and more display options on the PC too, although the 360 version looks fine and runs smooth.

Oh, and grab as big a power supply as you feel comfortable buying. It makes a real difference in how your PC runs, and gives you more options down the road should you decide to upgrade further.