SIMUL8R Mark II PVC plans - bottom of pg #7, donations accepted
42 42

1378 posts in this topic

You're welcome handro.  If it's not to late I'd suggest loosing the PVC cement and go with another type of adhesive that's more time forgiving or screws would be fine.

The end caps are no longer needed, sorry, I thought I changed that in the plans.

Yes I think that I will be going with screws once I get this finished one of these weekends. Trying to decide if I want to put a wood base on the entire bottom and carpet it for a nice look or keep it open. Once I get it complete I'll upload some pictures. Thanks again

Hello,

First of all, congratulations to Simul8r, great work!

I will be starting soon the construction of my own rig based on the plans with a few tweaks, but will follow 90 % of the original.

The PVC will be 50mm in sections, and I found all the tubes, 45 degree junctions already. Got a nice seat from my local junkyard (Cesam sport for 30 euros, will probably need a shampoo or two but will look great)

One question I have - maybe more to European builders - regarding the T junctions.

I was not able to find in DIY stores pure 90 degree junctions. the ones that I found are actually 87.3 degrees (EU regulations???) like this one:

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits/te-87-30-a-coller-en-pvc-femelle-femelle-d50-e10070

I am looking for strict 90 degree t junctions and found those ones but not 100% sure they fit:

http://www.conrad.fr/ce/fr/product/520840/PVC-T-90-50-mm-FIAP-2452-anthracite?queryFromSuggest=true

http://koiconnect.com/raccords-en-t-et-y/641-raccord-en-t-90.html#/dimension-50_mm

If other happy builders in France or in the EU would have any advice to give, I would welcome them.

Cheers,

You're welcome bill94el and thanks for the wife's stamp of approval!  As for your headrest speakers, I found a metal plate under the fabric between the two post off of my headrest that allowed me to screw another longer plate for mounting my speakers.  Yours might have the same.

Previous post

Well, I finally got around to painting my rig.  I've also added a DIY monitor hood.  I could not be more pleased and thanks again simul8r!

I looked at the seat like you suggested but could not find anything (simple) to mount the rear speakers onto.  With a little creativity I was able to zip tie two small PVC pipes together off the headrest posts and then just ran a couple of screws into small square pieces of wood to mount the speaker bases with velcro.  It works well.  Now to find some strong black zip ties  :-P .  If anyone wants closer pictures of the speaker setup let me know.

1z14bwh.jpg

Previous post

Well, I finally got around to painting my rig.  I've also added a DIY monitor hood.  I could not be more pleased and thanks again simul8r!

You're welcome bill94el and thanks for choosing the plans for your rig.  I'd hope you would find a plate in your headrest to use as mine did.  At least you found a way to make it work.  If you can, tell us of how has the rig performed so far for your simulations.

Finally got around to putting mine together but still work in progress. Slightly modified the plans to suit my needs. I will be screwing all the joints together rather than glue. I've also added a bit to mount my Oculus Rift Camera and i'll be mounting my Saitek X52 Pro joystick to it as well which is where the additional T sections are by the seat.

20150806_143128_zpstyhm9qav.jpg

20150806_162827_zpsd4npauqe.jpg

Nicest plastic rig i've seen, inspirational to say the least and very wallet friendly at the same time.

I think filling it with sand would detract from its lightness to move it round, which makes it a little more wife friendly.

I built my prototype wheelstand section out of sink waste which obviously is not strong enough for every day use, I just dont work well with plans so I had to use a cheap method of tube to get some idea of sizes before hitting the metal tubes.

извините я нахожусь в России и никак не могу понять размеров на чертеже дюймы в мм? в см?

excuse, I am in Russia and I can't understand the sizes on the drawing in any way. How to transfer your sizes to mm? in cm?

37-1/4                      - ? мм

19-1/2                      - ? мм

19            482,6 мм                  48.26см

10-1/2                      - ? мм

8-1/2                        - ? мм

8-1/8                        - ? мм

4-1/2                        - ? мм

6-1/2                        - ? мм

6              152.4мм                  15,24см

4-1/2                        - ? мм

3                76.2мм                   7,62см

https://www.google.ru/#newwindow=1&q=inch+to+mm

https://www.google.ru/#newwindow=1&q=inch+to+cm

37-1 / 4 939,8мм +  6,35мм   =  946,15 мм                   94,62 см

19-1 / 2 + 482,6мм  12,7мм    = 494,7 мм                    49,47 см

19                                              482,6 мм                   48,26 см

10-1 / 2 254мм +  12,7мм    =      266,7 мм                   26, 67 см

8-1 / 2 203,2 +  12,7мм    =         215,9 мм                    21, 59 см

8-1 / 8 203,2 +  3,18мм = 206,38мм                   20,64 см

4-1 / 2 101,6 +  12,7мм    = 114,3 мм                     11,43 см

6-1 / 2 152,4 +  12,7мм    =          165,1 мм                  16,51 см

6                                                     152.4мм                   15,24 см

4-1 / 2 101,6 +  12,7мм    =                    114,3мм                    11,43 см

3                                                          76.2мм                    7,62 см

скажите всё верно?

tell me everything right?

Edited by Grand_Dizel

Я обновил SketchUp модели. Как это новая платформа клавиатура придают?

Вот экспорт из новой модели:

после 13891-0-94694100-1369356389_thumb.p

исправленная ссылка :)

Corrected link :)

SketchUp

огромное спасибо за ваши труды, очень пригодится, чтобы понять что к чему :)

thank you for your work, it is useful to understand what was happening :)

Edited by Grand_Dizel

Wow, you've definitely made a lot of people busy with your rig plans over the years Simul8r, well done!! Man, I love this wed site, this is the first forum I have ever joined and it's great info all round. Thanks to everyone.

Ive been playing Driveclub and I think the kids are doing Need for Speed and a few others, So, I decided We should upgrade to rig and wheel. For the KIDS I keep telling the missus, lol. Let's build, unfortunately in Australia our T fittings are a wopping $ 6.50 to nearly $7.00 each, well the T's I had chosen were. Also as previously mentioned by a member in Europe, their T's come out at 87.? degrees, Ozzy std is marked 88. This caused some headache as from memory, 1/2 a degree out means 1/8 of an 1" over a foot. Add a few together and you end up with a nice radius, lol.

I managed to sort this by placing them opposing, problem then was if you stood the T's up being joined short to short you ended up with a wobbly boot both long ends of about 6mm. Fortunately, the 6mm was relevant in the end, just looked strange at first.

Aside for the above mentioned snaggs, was the internal shrinkage or taper in T's and Elbows.

This may or may not have already been mentioned somewhere ( don't know ).. Labour intensive? Yes, but maybe worth two bobb's chucked in. I boiled up a big Urn then dipped the tube in my case, for about 10 seconds. With a firm but light push and a turn, seated the tube nicely to the internal shoulder of the fitting. It gives you a nice taper fit that holds your bits together during pre-assembly that come apart at a twist of the wrist. It also forms a tighter bond once the glues applied.

Anyway, I'll try and attach some pics, technophobe...lol. Luv ya stuff Simul8r and looking forward to some real sim driving, anything that helps me has gotta be good, I hope,lol Ps donation, yes!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Finally got around to putting mine together but still work in progress. Slightly modified the plans to suit my needs. I will be screwing all the joints together rather than glue. I've also added a bit to mount my Oculus Rift Camera and i'll be mounting my Saitek X52 Pro joystick to it as well which is where the additional T sections are by the seat.

Looking good Adam.  Keep us updated when you finalize the build.  I'd appreciate it.

Nicest plastic rig i've seen, inspirational to say the least and very wallet friendly at the same time.

Thanks Nitro.  I would agree that the idea of adding sand or cement is not necessary.  I believe that would greatly diminish any vibrations I get from the steering wheel which shortens the immersion factor overall.  Glad the plans helped towards a metal rig in the future.

извините я нахожусь в России и никак не могу понять размеров на чертеже дюймы в мм? в см?

excuse, I am in Russia and I can't understand the sizes on the drawing in any way. How to transfer your sizes to mm? in cm?

Welcome to ISR Dizel.  I would suggest googling 'convert mm to cm' and that should provide you assistance for your needs.  Good luck.

Wow, you've definitely made a lot of people busy with your rig plans over the years Simul8r, well done!! Man, I love this wed site, this is the first forum I have ever joined and it's great info all round. Thanks to everyone.

You're welcome Kranskinator.  Your rig looks good and from the looks of it appears you're using both PVC and ABS material.  Unless, ABS also comes in white in AUS.  Keep me informed of it's finalization when you can.  I'm curious to see how the kids enjoy it.  Good luck. 

For anyone looking the plans for the V2 are now on page 7. im guessing when the forum changed design the post count changed per page. took me ages to sift threw all the posts, but got there, cant wait to have mine all together and start racing properly.

Massive thanks to Simul8tr and Darin for the forum

Well, I finally bit the bullet and went shopping for my PVC Fittings. They did not have enough 2 inch Tee fittings so, per my many paper revisions, I decided to chance the 1.5 inch PVC system.

After the chop saw made quick work of the nearly 50 cuts, I began the build. Dry fitted everything, just to be sure. I also decided to use #6, 1/2 inch screws to secure everything for the first few weeks or months as I will probably revise or change a few things.

The rig will be doing double duty for both Racing and Space Flight sim function. I had pulled out my old Saitek X45 set and my new G27 Wheel set.

Final setup images coming soon, this is just the initial build without any mounting boards. Probably get a cheap race seat from the local auto parts store or break down and get a Procar Sportsman 1605 seat. They are under $180 and ship for only $10 for the oversize. Hmmm... decisions, decisions. :grin:

I also found some nice feet for the floor (see close up of screw joint image). Cheap and actually threaded.

Finished Rig images soon... [pause for suspenseful period between posts]

Thanks simul8r, you ROCK dude!

20151114_193101.jpg

20151114_193131.jpg

Pranizzle,

The new forums shuffled the pages. I believe that simul8r's plans are now on page 7 in this post.

A lot of the pictures associated are in simul8r's posts in page 8 and 9.

I will be posting a new set of drawings with various options once my rig is complete. I have my seat and am working on the mounting options for both my G27 wheel set and X45 flight set. I will also be detailing the patterns for mounting both. G25 and G27 mount templates are identical. They are VERY hard if not impossible to find on the net, So I made a few of my own as well as for the X45 throttle and stick.

Good luck with your build!

Hey everybody,  just wanted to inform the forum that I made changes to the title of this thread that indicates where my SIMUL8R MK II plans are now currently located.  Plus I corrected my signature below that also directs to the plans and construction as well.  Keep building and don't forget to submit a photo of your build, I'm always interested to see what you come up.  Cheers!

sim

On 12/6/2015, 3:48:08, simul8r said:

Hey everybody,  just wanted to inform the forum that I made changes to the title of this thread that indicates where my SIMUL8R MK II plans are now currently located.  Plus I corrected my signature below that also directs to the plans and construction as well.  Keep building and don't forget to submit a photo of your build, I'm always interested to see what you come up.  Cheers!

sim

Seriously man, thank you!  Hopefully I'll be building this in a week or so.  I just got my TX wheel yesterday and a tiny table isn't cutting it.  

On 12/16/2015 at 7:30 AM, Kranskinator said:

G'day Sim

m8, I love the lines of the PVC rig, good project and I like the sense that it's a one of a kind after you add your own styling.

thanks again, kranskinator.

Thanks kransk, glad you enjoyed the build.  Especially like the color scheme you have going with the rig.

Great rig simul8r! I am planning to build the mk II soon, but am concerned, I am only about 5' 7". Would this rig fit me? I figured I could maybe raise the seat and shorten overall length if not. Also there are pictures in this thread, such as the one above by kranskinator, that have a different build underneath the seat from your plans on page 7. How well do these work and are there plans for this style as well? Thanks in advance for any help.

4 hours ago, markadwilson said:

Great rig simul8r! I am planning to build the mk II soon, but am concerned, I am only about 5' 7". Would this rig fit me? I figured I could maybe raise the seat and shorten overall length if not. Also there are pictures in this thread, such as the one above by kranskinator, that have a different build underneath the seat from your plans on page 7. How well do these work and are there plans for this style as well? Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome Mark, the plans should accommodate your height but perform a dry setup prior to finalizing the build just to be sure.  The extra fittings under the seat was added by another builder with the idea to raise the seat.  I found that 12 inches from the ground to the seat was my preferred target.  Any higher and I'm unable to reach the pedals properly which then means raising the pedals and elongating the rig all over again.  If you do plan to add the bottom be prepared to shorten the rig for sure.