SIMUL8R Mark II PVC plans - bottom of pg #7, donations accepted
50 50

1,392 posts in this topic

I thought i would share my simul8r pvc rig...just have a few tweeks left

Congrats ca8oose, how did the build go and how are you liking the rig so far?  I see you went with the direct table/wheel mount.

I love it honestly...unfortunately i do not get pleasure of saying i built it...a buddy of mine built it hence the tweaking but basically im going to cut an indention into the wood to bring the wheel closer to the monitors so i can get proper fov...until i can build a monitor stand

Thanks to SIMUL8R

I guess this is possibly my first post... ive been on from time to time reading through this vast thread after stumbling across the diy video. This is such a great piece of kit for little money although here in the UK is much more difficult to source good PVC pipe. I am very pleased with the results so far, probably go a little bit tweaking to do before it gets a lick of paint.

post-17750-0-94154900-1428919800_thumb.j

post-17750-0-47105800-1428919841_thumb.j

post-17750-0-72162300-1428919911_thumb.j

IMGP0134.jpg

IMGP0133.jpg

just a couple shots of my first rig.  didn't really research anything, i just have a brain for mechanical things.

a few points:

the wheel is mounted on hinges and makes it many times easier to get in and out.

made a mistake making it "right hand drive" so to speak.

a little low for some to get in and out of.

the seat is a golf gti 2004-ish, 27 bucks at the yard, had very nice side bolsters and very durable fabric.  feels very racy and the price is right.  sat in like 20 cars that day ..  it's mounted on a 1/2" plywood base.  the platform sits on the pvc rails with tubing cut in half that allows it to slide closer or further from the wheel.  

finished product : 

securedownload-1.jpg

the ms wheel is mounted on an angular wooden base to give a more realistic angle.  i did the bearing mod on it and it's much better than stock.  picked up a fanatec csr and working on version 2 which will mount the seat permanently and the pedals and wheel will be adjustable, more in keeping with an actual race car.   pvc is schedule 40 1 1/2"  and is more than sturdy enough, very little wheel movement. surround sound is phenomenal, working on a homemade buttkicker setup which is kind of the last thing on my list. 

Just an FYI for all those having issues with gluing with Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue setting too fast for you. They also make a Gray Extra Heavy Body PVC Cement

This glue is formulated for larger pipes and has a much longer set time. This allows you to position and align all those tee and elbow fittings without panic.

I work with PVC everyday (Hot Spa Repair) and have found when I need extra time to position something, the Gray Extra Heavy Body makes things easier.

The Gray Medium Body PVC Cement also gives a bit more working time, but not as much as the Extra Heavy Body type.

Hope that helps. I will probably be collecting materials to build one soon as I have just signed up for iRacing and am in the process of acquiring a G27 set (used) locally.

Great design simul8r!!! I look forward to the build.

Just testing some tweaks off my 7870 with a drive around the ring.  Lovin the fluidness and got lost in the test.  Kinda blurry in some areas, so, apologies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbEJG0e6Lt4

How did you get the view to show on the sides like that?

Finally got around to building my rig. Still need to paint it and mod if for my rev burner and button box, but already it is amazing! Thanks a ton Simul8r! Thanks to ISRTV I have started sim racing in iRacing, then this rig just pushed me over the edge. Great stuff man.

uzCnSn6.png

W4p2cRe.png

IgN65gV.png

uoSNzRT.png

iQQ81C8.png

Thanks to SIMUL8R

I guess this is possibly my first post... ive been on from time to time reading through this vast thread after stumbling across the diy video. This is such a great piece of kit for little money although here in the UK is much more difficult to source good PVC pipe. I am very pleased with the results so far, probably go a little bit tweaking to do before it gets a lick of paint.

You're welcome assetto, the rig looks good and thanks for posting pictures of it.

The Gray Medium Body PVC Cement also gives a bit more working time, but not as much as the Extra Heavy Body type.

Hope that helps. I will probably be collecting materials to build one soon as I have just signed up for iRacing and am in the process of acquiring a G27 set (used) locally.

Great design simul8r!!! I look forward to the build.

Thanks for the tip TimeLord, should be a lot of help to others during their builds.  BTW, be sure to post your rig when completed.  I would greatly appreciate it.

How did you get the view to show on the sides like that?

Just projected it on screen and brought it close enough to the steering wheel and dashboard realism.  The rest is what you see.  BTW, check Remco Hitman's custom rig thread for his SuperFOV display which I copied.

does anyone know where the plans are for the triple monitor stand to go with this rig?

Sorry, didn't create any plans for the monitor stand.  I decided on SuperFOV (projector/screen) for more realism.

Finally got around to building my rig. Still need to paint it and mod if for my rev burner and button box, but already it is amazing! Thanks a ton Simul8r! Thanks to ISRTV I have started sim racing in iRacing, then this rig just pushed me over the edge. Great stuff man.

You're welcome SkippyZA and thanks for the pictures, greatly appreciate it!  And great job on the build!

Sorry, didn't create any plans for the monitor stand.  I decided on SuperFOV (projector/screen) for more realism.

ok projector i did not  think of that which one did you use ?? here is my rig so far gear shift to be on left as i am in the uk. i call the colour swiss cottage racing blue.

post-24958-0-11055200-1431970278_thumb.j

post-24958-0-48865000-1431970283_thumb.j

Thank you Simul8r.  I've used your plans and now have a rock solid sim racing cockpit!  This is an amazing design.  Even my wife approved after seeing the final project.  :shock:

I still need to paint it and work on wire management.  I have also been brainstorming a way to mount the rear surround speakers off the headrest...8" to 12" offset  I've scanned all the pics and thumbnails in the thread and can't see a solution I like.  I am open to suggestions.

411265631.jpg

Hey guys, are there any plans on how to make this rig modular so I can take it apart into two pieces?

It seems to split naturally into two sections but it's the 45 degree side bar I'm wondering about. Will doing something like this make it less sturdy?

Hey guys, are there any plans on how to make this rig modular so I can take it apart into two pieces?

It seems to split naturally into two sections but it's the 45 degree side bar I'm wondering about. Will doing something like this make it less sturdy?

You could try using bolts on the sections you want to be able to dismantle?

uzCnSn6.png

W4p2cRe.png

IgN65gV.png

uoSNzRT.png

iQQ81C8.png

That desk is cool. Nice rig!