Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIMUL8R Mark II PVC plans - bottom of pg #7, donations accepted

1,392 posts in this topic

Some more progress was made today. Still not finished. This is taking a lot longer then expected. Although, I have spent a lot of the time doing some trial and error and trying to get all the measurements and angles for the MDF correct. You can not rush perfection! haha

I decided to start on the MDF flooring today. I measured the width and length I needed from the rear to the pedal mount and cut. Before I could cut the pedal mount out, I needed to know how much I would need left over for the table top so I wouldn't run out. To do this, I had to get the rest of the front end PVC cut and put together. Once together, I tested the height with an off cut of MDF and soft mounted my wheel to it. I quickly got worried when it was way to high and on an upward angle. So I sat there for a while in my seat trying to get a feel for where it should be mounted. I decided it needed to be on a downward angle, so I slowly cut down the height of the PVC at the front bit by bit until I was happy with the feel of the wheel.

I will eventually get a better wheel, so it will probably need to be changed again when the time comes.

Then I was able to get a measurement for my table top and pedal mount and cut them. I worked out how the pedals will be mounted and wanted the floors to blend in flush together so I cut 2 notches out so the floor would meet with the pedal mount. Then because the pedal mount is on an angle, there was a gap. This was fixed by using 3 screws and a bunch of washers to fill in the gap and give it some support when it sits on top. Now the main floor has been screwed into the PVC.

To finish off the night I decided to flip the rig over and start riveting some of the PVC connections. The large rivets I have are way too hard to pop with my rivet gun. I could not get enough leverage. So it took me just over an hour to do the 12 seen in the pics, and now my hands are stuffed haha. I will have to go buy another rivet gun tomorrow with longer arms to get more leverage.

And here are a bunch of pics from today showing what's explained above... And don't worry, I have already cut off the excess MDF that is hanging off the back. My measurements were just a little off when I first cut it  :mrgreen: 

post-6042-0-26395600-1375439006_thumb.jp post-6042-0-44016300-1375439047_thumb.jp post-6042-0-03231900-1375439078_thumb.jp post-6042-0-75518600-1375439114_thumb.jp post-6042-0-02829600-1375439210_thumb.jp post-6042-0-89778700-1375439245_thumb.jp post-6042-0-27283500-1375439289_thumb.jp 

post-6042-0-22703100-1375439371_thumb.jp post-6042-0-77079900-1375439414_thumb.jp post-6042-0-57617700-1375439506_thumb.jp post-6042-0-62459100-1375439475_thumb.jp post-6042-0-21815600-1375439592_thumb.jp post-6042-0-75884400-1375439726_thumb.jp

I've about finished my mock up.  The table isn't bolted down, but you can see what I'm aiming for.

Looks good mate. Just wondering if your seat is stable when it's only sitting on those two cross beams? It looks like alot of the weight would be pivoting backwards off that middle beam. Are you going to extend the timber rails to the very end PVC pipe? Also, will you be mounting your pedals?

And cool looking cat by the way, he looks a little bit like a Bengal.  :-P

No, that is probably it's final spot,  though it does leave me further from the table than comfortable.  I can resolve that by cutting the seperating pipes by about 2 inches.

It doesn't move.  I have 4 basic pipe clamps holding it on, two on each cross pipe.  Once the rear pipe is glued in it'll move even less.

And I had two pipe sizes to choose from.  class 12 and class 18.  I wanted class 15 but couldn't get it.   Class 18 is what the US call schedule 80.   The wall thickness is 4.9mm.  It's pretty beefy stuff.

I've about finished my mock up.  The table isn't bolted down, but you can see what I'm aiming for.

I have been toying with the idea of also making mine into a dual purpose rig.

How you've done it looks really neat & compact, well done.

I think I'll end up doing something very similar for mine eventually.

But for now I'm concentrating on getting it finished as a race car cockpit. :-P

I also had a chuckle seeing your cat doing a photo bomb on ya. :mrgreen:

Some more progress was made today. Still not finished. This is taking a lot longer then expected. Although, I have spent a lot of the time doing some trial and error and trying to get all the measurements and angles for the MDF correct. You can not rush perfection! haha

This is exactly what I am finding out too, the hard way in some cases & I'm not striving for perfection just want it to feel right & be functional to how I want.

So like you after more trial & error tonight I realised to mount my seat solid enough means I need wider wood beams under the rails & long bolts to bolt through the wood.

Although I am happy with my steering wheel angle as is even though I was contemplating doing the tilt mod of simul8r's.

So I'll probably now leave that for later if I think I need to change it.

I'll be working full-tilt on mine tomorrow in the hope of at least getting it operational. ;)

BTW your skill with wood is way better than mine, great work!!!

simul8r, this is what I am thinking with the keyboard mount but I'm not sure yet if it'll work as I first thought it would.

At this stage the other end will be free floating but it may at some point attach on both sides.

But that will only be if I adopt SnowGhost's Flight Sim approach & remove the shifter bar from your design.

9422894664_b4cc1118c8.jpg

Keyboard Test by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9420129871_fe8ca23072.jpg

Full Mockup by Duke6amer, on Flickr

WOOHOO, total success!! I just gave the floating rig a try and, wow, let me try and break it down somehow.

At first I was sort of liking the feeling of the rig moving under me while simming but come to figure the bouncing and swaying action was a bit to much for my taste so I went back to 4 springs up front and 10 @ rear. Either way without adding simvibe as of yet my modded G27 sequential shifter has a subtle 'thunk' feeling to it now when shifting. Vibrations and the sensation of a bouncing/gyrating vehicle from head to toe are now being emitted from the rig that are produced by the wheel's force feed back and my interactions.  Driving  over curbs and most ESPECIALLY rocky roads are now exaggerated and, again, without any tactile transducers or bass shakers firing, I can only imagine how much more I would get once simvibe and the shakers are hooked up. I should add though not all of the vibrations were in sequence with the visual simulation but it did add to the immersion overall.  Strangely enough, I was gathering more situational awareness (SA) from the immersion for some reason. I really can't explain why but the anticipation and prediction when attacking a corner or when handling a apex are all apparently different now, almost natural for some reason then before.  I'm actually enjoying other tracks in RFactor that I, previously, didn't care for just for the reason I thought I just sucked but the SA is making it entertaining enough to push further into the simulation and appreciate them.  Possibly due to adrenaline the immersion was creating.

I do have to widen my screen's opening for the wheel though. It appears the G27 case is knocking the insides a bit when the rig is gyrating but least to say this is about one of the best mod additions to the Mark II.

EDITED

ah ok, thats whats the springs were for. 

mmmm.....add some motors to the corners for added motion and that should really rock.

As for shifter force, the motion software provides that out of the game so when you shift, the motors kick.

ah ok, thats whats the springs were for. 

mmmm.....add some motors to the corners for added motion and that should really rock.

As for shifter force, the motion software provides that out of the game so when you shift, the motors kick.

Not game related, what I meant is that my modded G27 shifter involves small springs attached to the shaft of the knob that when pulled or push forward sequentially and then released snaps it back to center causing a vibration that travels onto the floating rig and is being faintly felt as if gears were engaging.  I've never felt this before when the rig was planted on the ground until now.  I would definitely think that by adding simvibe to the rig will double if not triple the effects of the transducers.  How this will affect the immersion remains to be seen.  And yes, I have been actively researching for actuators since planning and building the trolley trampoline idea.  I figured since the rig and my body weight may be less due to the springs supporting most of the weight the need for powerful actuators may not be necessary.  I've been web shopping for something in the area of 50 lbs force and with 2 inches of stroke but they are not very abundant.  Would you have any ideas.  BTW, since the rig floats I'm guessing the actuators will have to be pushing downwards instead of upwards, what do you think.

Well finally after a huge weekend my initial build is finito. So apologies this post is photo heavy.

I'm stoked with how it's all come together & my handywork. :mrgreen:

Yesterday was spent mounting the seat (what a pain that was) then the pedal deck (properly), pedals & wheel.

Today I also got to use my Grandad's old B&D Jigsaw to do the shifter mount, it has got to be close to 30yrs old I reckon & did a superb job.

Funnily though after checking these photo's I think I'm going to lop of the top of the shifter mount, where the u-bolts go through as it sticks up a bit high.

The PC going on it is all but ready too. I'll hopefully have it tomorrow night then I can work out the placement of the monitor then bolt it & the PC case down. Can't wait now!!!

I still want to add a keyboard mount & also a dead pedal to rest the clutch foot when needed. I'm also considering the tilt-deck mod for the wheel but these can happen after I have had time in it. :)

Oh as for painting the rig, it won't happen for a few months until more favourable weather comes back to AUS.

9425922089_e4afa26755.jpg

Saddle Clamp Mod for Seat by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9428690262_42066d9426.jpg

Seat Clamps by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9428688780_d3d3faa975.jpg

Seat Mount Front by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9433188309_3d6010e716.jpg

Shifter Jigsaw 1 by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9433188873_2b596600e5.jpg

Shifter Mount by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9435963060_4de9a67d68.jpg

Shifter Mounted by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9435965124_a7fe8df83d.jpg

Shifter Mount External by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9433298949_3d888b38e4.jpg

Cockpit Closeup by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9436074252_86d55c13a7.jpg

Build Finito by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9433300163_8d6d1a595e.jpg

Packed Up by Duke6amer, on Flickr

i look forward to some video of the floating rig simul8r

Been thinking how I would demonstrate the movements of the rig since they aren't that big and probably wouldn't show up if I were actually driving it.  I suppose adding weighted plates onto the seat and then move the rig by hand side to side, up and down may demonstrate what I am describing.   I'll see what I can do.

Well finally after a huge weekend my initial build is finito. So apologies this post is photo heavy.

I'm stoked with how it's all come together & my handywork. :mrgreen:

Yesterday was spent mounting the seat (what a pain that was) then the pedal deck (properly), pedals & wheel.

Today I also got to use my Grandad's old B&D Jigsaw to do the shifter mount, it has got to be close to 30yrs old I reckon & did a superb job.

Funnily though after checking these photo's I think I'm going to lop of the top of the shifter mount, where the u-bolts go through as it sticks up a bit high.

No worries Flinty, appreciate you sharing your build.  Looks like she's coming together quite nicely and great job on the shifter mount.  BTW, are you planning to set your monitor that far out on your table?

No worries Flinty, appreciate you sharing your build.  Looks like she's coming together quite nicely and great job on the shifter mount.  BTW, are you planning to set your monitor that far out on your table?

No it'll be just behind the steering wheel where you would normally place it.

The extra desk length is so I can have the PC behind the monitor so that it is truly a mobile rig, just need a power point & you're all set. ;)

Ok, here's a short video to show the rig in motion.

I swear, it is really confusing how to upload a video correctly on here.  In the meantime just go to the link above while I figure this out.

Thanks simul8r, it looks & works better than I had expected. Awesome mod!!! :mrgreen:

I may just be asking nicely if you would share the plans to do this myself soon, ;)

Not game related, what I meant is that my modded G27 shifter involves small springs attached to the shaft of the knob that when pulled or push forward sequentially and then released snaps it back to center causing a vibration that travels onto the floating rig and is being faintly felt as if gears were engaging.  I've never felt this before when the rig was planted on the ground until now.  I would definitely think that by adding simvibe to the rig will double if not triple the effects of the transducers.  How this will affect the immersion remains to be seen.  And yes, I have been actively researching for actuators since planning and building the trolley trampoline idea.  I figured since the rig and my body weight may be less due to the springs supporting most of the weight the need for powerful actuators may not be necessary.  I've been web shopping for something in the area of 50 lbs force and with 2 inches of stroke but they are not very abundant.  Would you have any ideas.  BTW, since the rig floats I'm guessing the actuators will have to be pushing downwards instead of upwards, what do you think.

Ah right, sorry,misunderstood. I saw the pics of the spring supported frame, that would work real well for sure.

As for actuators/motors to do 50lb force, thats along the lines of a 12v boat winch motor rated at 900 kg, 24v worm gear motors.

Depending on how creative you wanted to be, you'd need 4 motors/actuators on each corner to give you roll, pitch , lateral, longitudinal and heave motion and if you wants to be really tricky , 2 more on a x/y axis to it gives you sway and surge.

Actuators/ motors would not be supporting the weight so much as the springs would over come it, they should just be giving you extra motion of bumps and movement,

Overall, great job with the spring idea.

Not cheap to setup, but the motion would be awesome

Hi all, anyone from the UK here? If so do you have a good source of parts? I can't find anything cheaper than £130 for the whole rig which is quite a lot I think! Also someone mentioned using 50 or 40mm pipe, would this be strong enough? It is MUCH cheaper but I'm not sure it would stand up to the forces involved, has anyone tried it? 

As an example, someone posted this piping from B&Q 

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/plumbing-supplies/waste___overflows/FloPlast-3M-X-40mm-Abs-Solvent-Waste-Pipe-11478430?skuId=11989137

Would really appreciate any help with finding cheap high quality PVC! Thanks in advance, can't wait to start on this!

Ben

Been tweaking in between simming :)  Figured out a way to quiet the springs from 'clacking' or grinding against the eye bolts.  Not that they were very noisy to begin with since the vibrations were mi-nute while sitting in the rig but this trick pretty much resolved all issues.  About 2 inches of this clear vinyl tubing on both ends of the springs and a roll of 20 feet only cost 5 bucks at the most.

post-1315-0-28007900-1375741742_thumb.jp

Back to simming though, I just can't get over the difference of immersion this mod is providing.  I'm actually drifting naturally out of corners and quite frankly it's getting addictive.  Recovering is getting smoother with less spinouts.  Not trying to sell the idea but I'd like to see others somehow try this with their stationary rig whatever it may be and feel the difference.

I really want to try this mod but it would mean a complete rebuild of my trolley as it isn't wide enough.

But I need time in my sim before changing it so i have a reference to base it from before doing the spring mod.

Have you had time to do any measurements on your mod?

How much of a gap around the PVC is there & also how many & where are the springs placed exactly?

Hi all, anyone from the UK here? If so do you have a good source of parts? I can't find anything cheaper than £130 for the whole rig which is quite a lot I think! Also someone mentioned using 50 or 40mm pipe, would this be strong enough? It is MUCH cheaper but I'm not sure it would stand up to the forces involved, has anyone tried it? 

As an example, someone posted this piping from B&Q 

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/plumbing-supplies/waste___overflows/FloPlast-3M-X-40mm-Abs-Solvent-Waste-Pipe-11478430?skuId=11989137

Would really appreciate any help with finding cheap high quality PVC! Thanks in advance, can't wait to start on this!

Ben

'Waste' pipe isn't designed to take any pressure.  Just ensure that water gets from A to B without getting anywhere else.    You want somethig thicker.

Also, looking around I don't think B&Q is the right store.  See if you can find a plumbing wholesaler rather than a generalist hardware store.

Give http://www.plasticpipeuk.co.uk/Hertfordshire/London%20Colney/pvc-pipe.php a call and see what they say (Note, I'm on the other side of the Planet and have no idea where they are and where you are ....)

Well had a test run in the rig last night albeit using my mates PC running LFS. This was while he was over to drop off the PC that he's built me to put on the rig.
Mind the mess it is only temporary but you can see why I extended the desk-top to allow for the PC to sit on it & be a totally independent system.
I've got to say it was sensational, I am very happy with the positioning as it was very comfy while it lasted.

But after about 45mins my warranty replaced practically brand new (used 4 times in last 3yrs) G25 developed this fault. Which it turns out is quite common but also very difficult to fix properly without a 3rd party part... :( Suffice to say I have ordered one of these & now need to wait about 10 days for it to arrive. But at least it will never happen again.

In the meantime I am trying the temporary fix of gluing the broken part back together, hopefully it will last until the new one arrives so at the very least I can load all my race-sims & set them up.

9468219749_8a63af2ca6_n.jpg
Test Run 1 by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9471001920_3ae65b82b0_n.jpg
Broken G25 by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9471001684_00f2ec13ef_n.jpg
Offending Part by Duke6amer, on Flickr

But after about 45mins my warranty replaced practically brand new (used 4 times in last 3yrs) G25 developed this fault. Which it turns out is quite common but also very difficult to fix properly without a 3rd party part... :( Suffice to say I have ordered one of these & now need to wait about 10 days for it to arrive. But at least it will never happen again.

9471001684_00f2ec13ef_n.jpg

Offending Part by Duke6amer, on Flickr

This is such a coincidence Flinty because I, too, ordered that same optical encoder wheel from that Thailand manufacturer just yesterday.  The destruction of my stock Logitech encoder resulted in a complete melt down when I was trying to clean the brushless motors with some liquid electronics cleaner bought from a auto shop.  Little did I know it was going to melt the plastic part.  I could have taken it apart before the actual cleaning but it was also carefully glued together due to a crack much like yours.  Really a poorly made part for the G25 & 27.  Hope to get my bronze wheel early too.

BTW, your rig is really comin together nicely.

It's completely finished - Time to Play!!! Here it is with the monitor, PC & keyboard all installed now.
The keyboard can be removed at the upright of the rig, where I’m using a hose clamp to hold it tight at the join while racing.
I also went the cheap & easy option for tilting the wheel. It’s doesn’t look like much of a change but it is heaps better at that angle now...

9514175428_55486b2ca7_n.jpg
Wheel Tilt by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9511386015_a5a20c4001_n.jpg
Cheap Mans Tilt by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9514175914_79a212f840_n.jpg
Up & Running by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9514176420_2e8366c9b5_n.jpg
Hose Clamp by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9511385063_600224d264_n.jpg
Home Sweet Home by Duke6amer, on Flickr

Well, bought the game and downloaded Nurburgring.  Whenever I get the itch to drive I usually just go the tourist route in a Zonda Pagani and try to break each lap.  So far, I believe my best was at 6:46.

a lap of the burg in a corvette I think, on the foot motor 

had to hijack thread a bit.

I'd like to thank SIMUL8R for this excellent design and taking the time to put together plans to work from.

I stuck  fairly close to the plan, makeing only minor modifications:

Diagonal stabilizing bars on both sides - I did this because I didn't want to glue the seat section and the table section together. With 2 diagonal bars, just a quicky few raps with the rubber mallet and the rig fels very solid. This way I can easily dissassemble if needed for moving the rig.

Made the table/monitor platform nice and wide, not only to accommodate the bigger monitor but also a handy spot for mouse/keyboard resting. Keeping it simple. Same thing for the wheel angle, instead of the added complexity of the adjustable top I figure if I need to adjust the angle I can take Flinty's approach. As it turned out I don't really feel a need to, at least not yet.

Thanks once again!

post-14522-0-36413700-1376845587_thumb.j

post-14522-0-85676700-1376845679_thumb.j