Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIMUL8R Mark II PVC plans - bottom of pg #7, donations accepted

1,392 posts in this topic

Yet another Aussie signing in.

I've started building my rig, but I'm more interested in the upcoming Elite : Dangerous game, which is a Space flight sim.  I plan on mounting the HOTAS joystick just in front of the seat, using ANOTHER T piece and 90 degree elbow and about 6 inchs of pipe.

To help with the metric/obsolete measureing system I created a excel spread sheet.

Here is a screen shot of it, for the standard set of plans.  This doesn't include any modifications.

parts.JPG?psid=1

You'll also need more than the listed 6 meters of pipe.  But I wanted a simple list at this point,

Hey guys, I got my wheel and pedals in the mail yesterday and have temporally set them up at my desk, while I wait for my PVC to come in the mail.

I have never really used any sim racing gear so this is my first time... I think I have just found my new hobby haha!!

I have downloaded the rFactor demo and have been playing that a bit and it is so much fun!! I think I am going to buy this game =)

I haven't played with any settings yet but my best lap so far is 1:15.757

What were your guys times like when you first started?

Well, bought the game and downloaded Nurburgring.  Whenever I get the itch to drive I usually just go the tourist route in a Zonda Pagani and try to break each lap.  So far, I believe my best was at 6:46.

So finally after weeks of fixing the garage, where my rig is going to live then after weeks of sickness here is an update of what I did last w/end.

Built a lockable castor-wheel trolley for the rig using 70x35mm structural pine, similar to simul8r's plans so thankyou mate. ;)

So now I can freely move it around as needed plus the extra height makes it easier to get in & out of as I'm only getting older.

The added benefit is the rig doesn't tip up now if someone was to sit on the front of it given my extended tabletop mod.

But I think the trolley has probably cost more than the PVC did... actually the castor wheels alone was the main cost.  :rolleyes:

I have also worked out the mounting of the seat using left overs of the same 70x35mm structural pine & attaching it to the seat rails.

It still needs fixing to the rig but this will be done after I have the pedals & wheel mounted to ensure I get the best placement & full range of seat adjustment.
Bought the table-top to go onto it. It needs cutting down to the correct size still.

Have also worked out a keyboard mount for it, still trying to work out a mouse-pad area though.

All going well I reckon I'll have it finished & hopefully operational this weekend as the PC for it is making it's way from my mates this weekend also. ;)

9382569761_43ff373819.jpg
Trolley 1 by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9385352384_36b35509e6.jpg
Seat Mounting Test by Duke6amer, on Flickr

9385351128_a9967248b0.jpg
Table Selected by Duke6amer, on Flickr

almost finished my multi purpose sim rig, i have some additions to add over the next few weeks but i signed up for iracing and ive put in afew hours over the last few days, the immersion with simul8r's modded rig and iracing is the best by far ive ever experienced, i can also drop in the desk section and still enjoy my DayZ and other shooting games etc, i also have a section for yoke and flight stick for flight and space sims :) , i bought another monitor bracket and im mounting a 4th monitor top middle for iracing telemetary like the lap taimes etc using irddu i think its called (i have it on the floor atm and keep going off the track when i look at it too long :P

ill post some final picks when thats done ..

thanks again simul8r awesome design man.

Dave should i buy the full package of race 07 and all the add ons to join you guys or do i only need the main game?20130725_213703.jpg20130727_151825.jpg

Great looking setup there. I am in awe.

Ideally the Race07 full pack, simbin mega bundle through steam. Then you get everything so as we jump from server to sever, you have all tracks and cars.

You can get away with just race injection as a start as well, thats 85% of what we play on.

Cheers, David.

Hey guys. So I started work on my rig today using the MkII design and just converting the measurements to metric. It came together quite nicely. I am not finished yet but I would say at least 70% done.

The hardest part was making the blocks for the seat rail to mount onto. There was a bunch of adjustments on the rail itself I had to make, such as bending and cutting in some areas. One of the rails sits higher then the other so after cutting and chiseling away some notches in the timber, I still had to add another 45mm to make them level. As seen in the pics, I have used 2x 30mm blocks under the high side to make it a bit more even so I could get an idea on the overall dimensions. I will go and get a 45mm piece to replace it tomorrow.

I have not cut the main PVC rails (which join the front and rear together) and haven't  started on the front section, until I finish mounting my seat. Then I will be able to sit in the seat and work out the correct height and length I will need.

There's also some more countersinking to do with the seat rail blocks, so I can put shorter bolts in certain spots to keep them more flush. I also bought a large 1800mm x 900mm x 16mm MDF board to make a floor, pedal mount and wheel mount which I will cut out last.

I will not be gluing or screwing any of the rig together until everything is complete and I am 100% happy with all the dimensions. Then I will be pop riveting the whole thing together.

What I thought would be a cheap rig ($150-$180) has turned out to be pretty expensive. I have spent just over $300 :shock: and I still need a couple more things, although some of this was for tools like a hand saw, chisels, rubber mallet, hammer, drill bits. So I would say $250 total on just materials for the rig and I still haven't bought any paint. I think it is because of the prices here in Australia, it sucks lol   :mad:

Here are some pics of the progress so far. Hopefully I will finish it off tomorrow, so there will be more to come soon  :-P 

post-6042-0-78049100-1375278104_thumb.jp post-6042-0-27075000-1375278118_thumb.jp post-6042-0-39281300-1375278138_thumb.jp post-6042-0-39334200-1375278149_thumb.jp post-6042-0-39058600-1375278161_thumb.jp post-6042-0-76099800-1375278173_thumb.jp post-6042-0-48709800-1375278183_thumb.jp post-6042-0-46983100-1375278194_thumb.jp post-6042-0-23789900-1375278205_thumb.jp

9385352384_36b35509e6.jpg

Seat Mounting Test by Duke6amer, on Flickr

I don't think I've seen anybody do the trolley until now, good job.  What is the overall height of the seat from the ground as it sits?

BTW, quite a coincidence cause I too just completed my trolley attachment but with a twist.  I'll show some pics of it when I get a the chance.

thanks again simul8r awesome design man.

Your welcome Kev, and might I say 'Impressive'!  Digging the keyboard/wheel table attachments.  BTW, what room of your house is your rig sitting in because I spy with my little eye a PS3 game station at the far end.

post-1315-0-88461300-1375293038_thumb.jp

What I thought would be a cheap rig ($150-$180) has turned out to be pretty expensive. I have spent just over $300 :shock: and I still need a couple more things, although some of this was for tools like a hand saw, chisels, rubber mallet, hammer, drill bits. So I would say $250 total on just materials for the rig and I still haven't bought any paint. I think it is because of the prices here in Australia, it sucks lol   :mad:

Dam Junkee, you got some carpenter skills cause you did some pretty good work with the chisels.  And glad your making headway with the railings, awesome job.  It just sucks though that the price of PVC is that high in your area.  I think that's about the only downside outside of the US when building with the material.  Keep us posted!

Alrighty then, update time.

I've finally completed the so called 'trolley' but with a twist.  Soley designed for the purpose of isolating the tactile transducers or bass shakers as they are also called in preparation for simvibe.  In theory, I'm hoping this will maximize the vibrations from the shakers.  In addition by this setup, I'm also hoping to replicate ptux73's idea of 'floating' the rig to achieve a sort of poor man's, self propelled, motion generator in which he (ptux) used his own weight plus the weight of the rig on washing machine shock absorbers.  The vibrations produced by the driver from steering the wheel and pounding the foot pedals or any body movements for that matter causes the rig to gyrate hopefully in sequence with the sim or at least the mind would think so.  But instead of shock absorbers I used extension springs.  Yeah, think 'trampoline' if you know what I mean.  Again, this is all theory so least to say I'm crossing fingers at this point especially with the idea of the motion generator.  So far, while sitting in it and by rocking the wheel back and forth I'm getting 1/2 to an inch movement everywhere.  Without the projector screen and the game working It's definitely creating that strange motion sensation.

post-1315-0-04843300-1375305605_thumb.jppost-1315-0-95491200-1375305613_thumb.jppost-1315-0-14576100-1375305627_thumb.jppost-1315-0-51901000-1375305637_thumb.jppost-1315-0-42958100-1375305655_thumb.jppost-1315-0-21344400-1375305674_thumb.jppost-1315-0-76662600-1375305684_thumb.jppost-1315-0-70791000-1375305692_thumb.jp

Dam Junkee, you got some carpenter skills cause you did some pretty good work with the chisels.  And glad your making headway with the railings, awesome job.  It just sucks though that the price of PVC is that high in your area.  I think that's about the only downside outside of the US when building with the material.  Keep us posted!

I thought the same when seeing Junkee's post, impressive work mate. ;)

I just bashed my seat mounts to fit around the shape of my wood, a man using a hammer is very soothing, lol

Thanks mate. Yes, for one 6m and three 1m lengths of Class12 50mm Pressure pipe was $50.00 then the fittings were $125.00 delivered. To be honest I was more annoyed at the cost of the rest of the stuff like the timber, MDF sheets, screws, rivets, pipe brackets etc. I only bought cheapy hand tools to get the job done, so they weren't too badly priced.

I guess it would have helped if I already had a lot of the hand tools. Although, I don't mind buying a few tools here and there as I do things around the house because I will use them again. I was just lucky a mate brought over his drop saw, circular saw, drill etc. or I would not have even bothered starting haha.

This is the first building project I have done since I did carpentry and engineering at school over 5 years ago. So I really enjoyed it. I would love to get a nice workshop setup in my garage with all the tools so I can start building things again. I definitely need a workbench and some clamps. My mate and I were doing some pretty dodgy stuff yesterday haha. Our workbench was made up by stacking milk crates on top of each other and my clamps was him standing on whatever I was cutting. Also, If I had the machines we had at school, in particular a band saw, it would have made all those notches in the rail mount a hell of a lot easier haha.

Alrighty then, update time.

I've finally completed the so called 'trolley' but with a twist.  Soley designed for the purpose of isolating the tactile transducers or bass shakers as they are also called in preparation for simvibe.  In theory, I'm hoping this will maximize the vibrations from the shakers.  In addition by this setup, I'm also hoping to replicate ptux73's idea of 'floating' the rig to achieve a sort of poor man's, self propelled, motion generator in which he (ptux) used his own weight plus the weight of the rig on washing machine shock absorbers.  The vibrations produced by the driver from steering the wheel and pounding the foot pedals or any body movements for that matter causes the rig to gyrate hopefully in sequence with the sim or at least the mind would think so.  But instead of shock absorbers I used extension springs.  Yeah, think 'trampoline' if you know what I mean.  Again, this is all theory so least to say I'm crossing fingers at this point especially with the idea of the motion generator.  So far, while sitting in it and by rocking the wheel back and forth I'm getting 1/2 to an inch movement everywhere.  Without the projector screen and the game working It's definitely creating that strange motion sensation.

Wow! that's an awesome idea man. Looks like you have pulled it off nicely as well.

It does look like a lot of springs though. Have you tried reducing the amount to get more travel or are you happy with the travel it gives?

I'd love to see a video of it in action when complete  :mrgreen:

I thought the same when seeing Junkee's post, impressive work mate. ;)

I just bashed my seat mounts to fit around the shape of my wood, a man using a hammer is very soothing, lol

Haha thanks. That works too. I also did a little bit of bashing and bending with the rail mounts. I couldn't do it too much though because the rail looked like it was going to break off the seat.

Jankee, did you modify the width of your rig, it seems like a super-wide model?

simul8r, that is an ingenious idea, would love you to post a video of it working if your able?

I also wish I'd seen this before doing my trolley although I doubt structural pine would hold up to the weight & movement.

I'll get back you about the height of the seat on my rig / trolley setup.

Jankee, did you modify the width of your rig, it seems like a super-wide model?

simul8r, that is an ingenious idea, would love you to post a video of it working if your able?

I also wish I'd seen this before doing my trolley although I doubt structural pine would hold up to the weight & movement.

I'll get back you about the height of the seat on my rig / trolley setup.

Haha, it does seem that way. The only measurement I didn't use off the plans was the width as I thought it would depend on what seat everybody uses. So I measured the width of my rails and made the cuts to keep the timber rail mounts inside of the PVC fittings. However, after putting it all together I have come up with the idea to run an MDF floor along the whole thing, so now my timber rails can go over the pvc fittings all the way to the edge if I want. I am just not sure yet as I don't think I will even run the gear lever pipe the runs on an angle down one side. I think eventually I would like to get a sequential shifter similar to this one (but cheaper if I can) that mounts on the floor and has a long enough lever to reach near the steering wheel. So if I run with that idea, the width of the whole rig will need to be more then if I don't.

It does look like a lot of springs though. Have you tried reducing the amount to get more travel or are you happy with the travel it gives?

Same here, I'd like to have a very large garage with all the tools mentionable, it would make life so much easier. :)

About the springs, I did play around with strategic locations.  It appears 4 up front and 10 at rear made things leveled due to the seat and my fat butt.  There is a still a slight dip to the right, might be due to the shifter, keytable and brackets on that side.  Each spring is rated 95 pounds @ 6 inches long.

I did use pine and seems to be holding.  I'll see what I can do for a vid for you guys.

Another bit of an update. I hoped to have had it finished today but I didn't get started on it until late this arvo and had to stop the power tools due to having close neighbors where I live.

As you can see in the pics, I had my trusty 'Aussie style' workbench and clamp in action again today, as I cut some width off the 45mm piece of timber used to level out the two seat rails haha. After it was cut it was then screwed onto the lower rail mount. If you look closely you will see another one of my trusty workbenches, an esky! or as our fellow neighbor New Zealanders would call it, a 'chilly bin'.

On one of the rail mounts yesterday there was a bolt sticking out of the bottom because I didn't have a bolt short enough. So I managed to grab a shorter 50mm bolt today and counter sunk the nut so it will sit flush on the rig's MDF flooring.

The width of the whole rig was then shortened by 70mm so I no longer have a 'super-wide model' as Flinty named it haha. I will have the seat mounted a little off center to the right so I can eventually mount a sequential shifter on the floor to the left. I also managed to work out the length between the front and rear sections that I wanted and cut them accordingly.

Next up tomorrow will be to finish off the front section of PVC pipe and then cut the flooring for the whole rig and then lastly the tabletop for the wheel to attach to.

So I will leave you guys with a few pics for now, until next time  :cool:

post-6042-0-59014400-1375349911_thumb.jp post-6042-0-71335300-1375349930_thumb.jp post-6042-0-53284000-1375349948_thumb.jp post-6042-0-04544900-1375349969_thumb.jp post-6042-0-91253700-1375349984_thumb.jp post-6042-0-80325400-1375349997_thumb.jp

About the springs, I did play around with strategic locations.  It appears 4 up front and 10 at rear made things leveled due to the seat and my fat butt.  There is a still a slight dip to the right, might be due to the shifter, keytable and brackets on that side.  Each spring is rated 95 pounds @ 6 inches long.

It would have been very time consuming working out the optimum positions and quantities for each area. Could you possibly change a couple on the right to a higher load rated spring? It might help stiffen and level it all out?

I did use pine and seems to be holding.  I'll see what I can do for a vid for you guys.

Really, well I didn't really look that hard but it looked like it was made from box section steel.

So where did you source your springs, general hardware store or specific spring/trampoline supplier?

I measured my seat height, the seat sits at about 520mm from the ground & the table top is around 850mm in correct measurements

(so around 20-1/2inches & 33-1/2inches is that weird scale you use) "joking".

Also I quickly mocked up my keyboard mounting idea, see below.

Final positioning & lengths will be adjusted one I mount everything but I think you will get the idea.

I may also leave one or both joints free to swivel if needed or consider using 45' joint(s) as another option like some have already shown here. But I would like to try have the keyboard directly in front of me like normal at least to begin with.

9412458317_dc670e5653.jpg
Keyboard Mounting by Duke6amer, on Flickr

Haha, it does seem that way. The only measurement I didn't use off the plans was the width as I thought it would depend on what seat everybody uses. So I measured the width of my rails and made the cuts to keep the timber rail mounts inside of the PVC fittings. However, after putting it all together I have come up with the idea to run an MDF floor along the whole thing, so now my timber rails can go over the pvc fittings all the way to the edge if I want. I am just not sure yet as I don't think I will even run the gear lever pipe the runs on an angle down one side. I think eventually I would like to get a sequential shifter similar to this one (but cheaper if I can) that mounts on the floor and has a long enough lever to reach near the steering wheel. So if I run with that idea, the width of the whole rig will need to be more then if I don't.

Good idea, I actually wished I had done the same & measured the seat rail distance rather than sticking to the exact simul8r plans as I now find that the the seat only just squeezes within the main side pipes of the rig. Which may make it harder for me to secure the seat to the whole rig with standard 50mm pipe u-brackets as the rails now sit on top of the joining pieces that have a larger diameter. I can't make any width changes now as it would be a huge job do the rig & trolley as I didn't realise all this until I finished the trolley. :oops:

BTW I have seen that shifter on anther Aussie race sim forum which my impression was posted by the guy who makes them, I'll see if I have my facts right & ask over there. I know he's making a full V8SC COTF cockpit just like those on that website.

But that is just getting too elaborate for me. lol.

BTW the latest update & pics are classic OCKA... Brilliant!!!

It would have been very time consuming working out the optimum positions and quantities for each area. Could you possibly change a couple on the right to a higher load rated spring? It might help stiffen and level it all out?

Played further with reducing the number of springs, appears 2 up front and 8 rear made things ...umm, springy.  Still leveled when climbing in and movements appear free'r.

Really, well I didn't really look that hard but it looked like it was made from box section steel.

So where did you source your springs, general hardware store or specific spring/trampoline supplier?

I measured my seat height, the seat sits at about 520mm from the ground & the table top is around 850mm in correct measurements

(so around 20-1/2inches & 33-1/2inches is that weird scale you use) "joking".

Also I quickly mocked up my keyboard mounting idea, see below.

Final positioning & lengths will be adjusted one I mount everything but I think you will get the idea.

I may also leave one or both joints free to swivel if needed or consider using 45' joint(s) as another option like some have already shown here. But I would like to try have the keyboard directly in front of me like normal at least to begin with.

Sanded the wood smooth before painting did offer that appearance didn't it?  I source a set of 10 springs for around 15.00 US from ebay.  It would have cost about 3.00 a piece from a local hardware store.  Search 6 inch extension spring.  BTW, it appears you already have the inside box built and all you need now are the springs, eye bolts/nuts and the outside box if your planning on doing the same.

Currently, my heights are 22.5 inches seat & 34.5" table as is; 21.5" & 34" while sitting in it.

I'm not sure I follow your table swivel idea, you mean from the picture that one side of PVC's will be free mounted and the otherside will just float?  Or are you doing away with the shifter bar?

thats the good thing with PVC. I drawed up my frame and made it a bit bigger, so when it was assembled, I sat in it, measured, pulled apart, cut , re-fitted. All good.

It is versatile and easier to fabricate with until one chooses the PVC glue for adhesion.