Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIMUL8R Mark II PVC plans - bottom of pg #7, donations accepted

1,392 posts in this topic

First post here and just wanted to add my thanks first to simul8r for sharing his awesome plans and second to all the builders that shared their builds. I am planning on building one of these this coming summer and have found some great ideas for inspiration and what I want to build into my own righ.

Your welcome P_Walker and, please, post a photo when you can.  I'd appreciate it. :)

Hello everyone just made one today this thing is amazing!!! First I would like to thank Simul8r for these great plans and everyone who made blue prints. I modified it and put another 37½ bar on the other side so the wheel doesn't shake, Works perfect the wheel is solid as a rock. I used red paint to match my Iracing rollcage but it turns out 2 cans isnt enough, I'm going to primer and re paint it in a few days when I have time. Now all I need is 2 more monitors... Anyways heres some pics!

Your welcome Heyitsjimy and thanks for providing photos of the finish product.  Nice work, did you use the pvc glue?

Also, what part of the world are you from?

what happent to your door dude? Nice build!

I punched it and kicked it a few times growing up, the bottom hole makes a nice doggy door though hahaha

Your welcome Heyitsjimy and thanks for providing photos of the finish product.  Nice work, did you use the pvc glue?

Also, what part of the world are you from?

Yeah we used medium CPVC Cement, almost used the entire can! I'm from Blue Springs, Missouri...  It looks crazy realistic now, you can really feel the elevation changes on Iracing.

I got the chair from an old Grand Am it's in really good shape... I'm going to get a new board cut to replace my wheel deck soon, The steering wheel needs to come back a few inches then i'll be set.

Hello everyone just made one today this thing is amazing!!! First I would like to thank Simul8r for these great plans and everyone who made blue prints. I modified it and put another 37½ bar on the other side so the wheel doesn't shake, Works perfect the wheel is solid as a rock. I used red paint to match my Iracing rollcage but it turns out 2 cans isnt enough, I'm going to primer and re paint it in a few days when I have time. Now all I need is 2 more monitors... Anyways heres some pics!

Nice looking rig, I really must paint mine.

I just noticed you put a 2nd bar on the side to solid it up, good idea.

Although I must be lucky with one side bar and the rig on a motion platform . It doesn't flex.

Still, great looking rig.

Also Jimmy, you say you can feel the elevation changes in iracing? How do you do that with a static rig?

Nice looking rig, I really must paint mine.

I just noticed you put a 2nd bar on the side to solid it up, good idea.

Although I must be lucky with one side bar and the rig on a motion platform . It doesn't flex.

Still, great looking rig.

Also Jimmy, you say you can feel the elevation changes in iracing? How do you do that with a static rig?

Not physiclly feel it but my FoV is turned down much lower with my new rig so you can feel the elevation changes in game.

Not physiclly feel it but my FoV is turned down much lower with my new rig so you can feel the elevation changes in game.

This is what I call achieving the closes immersion possible.  The closer the steering wheel realistically is in relation to the on-screen dashboard which is also set to the correct realistic width of the vehicle and proper fov settings - magnifies the trickery of the mind into perceiving these sensations.  It's really uncanny and at times slightly nauseating especially when there is that lack of g-force when the body is expecting it but the mind continues perceiving these sensations exist at the same time.  In my book that's how I determine how close I'm actually achieving realism from my static rig.

EDIT:  BTW, this was finally realized after viewing and copying Remco Hitman's projector/rig setup.

I finished my version of Simul8r's design about a month ago.  I have 20 or so hours on it and it works very well.  I added the ability to adjust wheel tilt and height using hose clamps and slots cut into the ends on the fittings.  Now I just need to get a modern wheel!
img_0116.jpg
img_0117.jpg

img_0118.jpg

I finished my version of Simul8r's design about a month ago.  I have 20 or so hours on it and it works very well.  I added the ability to adjust wheel tilt and height using hose clamps and slots cut into the ends on the fittings.  Now I just need to get a modern wheel!

img_0118.jpg

Now that is very ingenious, why did I not think of that before.  Do the hose clamps really hold the wheel mount in place with no movement?  I suppose 'U' bolts could do the same.  Nicely done enderw88 and appreciate the pics.

BTW, dumb question of course but where's your monitor or screen if your using one. lol :P

This is what I call achieving the closes immersion possible.  The closer the steering wheel realistically is in relation to the on-screen dashboard which is also set to the correct realistic width of the vehicle and proper fov settings - magnifies the trickery of the mind into perceiving these sensations.  It's really uncanny and at times slightly nauseating especially when there is that lack of g-force when the body is expecting it but the mind continues perceiving these sensations exist at the same time.  In my book that's how I determine how close I'm actually achieving realism from my static rig.

EDIT:  BTW, this was finally realized after viewing and copying Remco Hitman's projector/rig setup.

I like that analogy of perception of FOV. Well, considering I am on a motion rig, I get the elevation changes from the sim as well as the screen. My stomach holds......somehow.... :)

Now that is very ingenious, why did I not think of that before.  Do the hose clamps really hold the wheel mount in place with no movement?  I suppose 'U' bolts could do the same.  Nicely done enderw88 and appreciate the pics.

BTW, dumb question of course but where's your monitor or screen if your using one. lol :P

The hose clamps hold very well.  I did rough up the PVC pipe and inside of the fitting to make sure there was more mechanical bite.  I don't know if U-bolts would work as well since they would predominately pull in one direction vice clamp around the periphery.  

I am still using a PS3 and I move the console infront of the monitor after the kids have gone to bed!

At this point I'd be blowing chow all over the wheel.  I don't think I ever seen an actual car take every corner on 2 wheels much less with their back ends up in the air while braking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/hQLF06rwzVE

the amount of times I have seen that video from others saying "i want one, but cheap!" Not going to happen, I know of a DIY build, but it has passed $5000 already. So it should come in at about half the actual cost for a new one.

Also, the profile there is set to "F....K ME!!" motion and looks impressive, but you are right. No car moves that far.

Flight yes, car no, unless you are driving a wheelstander.

Heres a vid with a better profile set 

At this point I'd be blowing chow all over the wheel.  I don't think I ever seen an actual car take every corner on 2 wheels much less with their back ends up in the air while braking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/hQLF06rwzVE

However, that profile with "no limits rollercoaster" playing, yes, that would a ralphing ride.

heres a video on another sim, seat mover I think 

so a 401 would be "BBBBBAAAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!" of a ride.

Hello, I am from Australia and I have just purchased myself a Fanatec CSR Wheel and Clubsprot V2 Pedals which I am waiting for in the mail.

I would like to build a Simul8r rig for it, however I am having some trouble with the materials and plans.

I have been to various hardware stores to price up the PVC joiners and it is working out to be pretty expensive.

I am also having trouble figuring out what size pipe I should be using? Is 50mm (or 2 inches) ok to use?

I did watch all of Hugo_Boss's videos and it seems like he is using 60mm (or 65mm?) which he bought the connections from http://www.pipeonline.com.au which is way cheaper then any of the hardware stores. However the price difference between 50mm and 65mm is enormous on their site.

90˚ 50mm = $1.54 each
45˚ 50mm = $1.57 each
Tee 50mm = $2.15 each

90˚ 65mm = $8.85 each
45˚ 65mm = $8.69 each
Tee 65mm = $13.25 each

Also the seat I have is out of a Nissan Silvia S15 (200SX) but the mounts are not all flat and are all different. How did you guys go about mounting your seats? The right side rail sits lower then the left and each corner mount is on a different angle. I would also like to keep the rails so it can move forward and back. See pics below:

post-6042-0-12633000-1374554374_thumb.jp post-6042-0-62992200-1374554390_thumb.jp post-6042-0-80676800-1374554405_thumb.jp post-6042-0-93847000-1374554427_thumb.jp post-6042-0-79639600-1374554442_thumb.jp

Any advice would be really helpful, as I would like to get started on this asap. Thanks =)

Junkee, check page 11, post #212 for the size of the schedule 40 pipe we use here in the US.  It is about 60mm outside diameter.

About your seat, yeah I'm going to suggest finding something a little more level.  The rails do look like they are off plain with each other which may make things a little more difficult to work with.

post-1315-0-61457200-1374563030_thumb.jp

G'day Junkee,

I'm in Melb, VIC & have started by build a while ago. My posts on how my build has gone so far start here: http://isrtv.com/forums/topic/681-simul8r-rig-2-pvc-schedule40-mark-ii-plans-on-pg-9/page-28#entry75749

I used 50mm PN12 rated High Presure PVC pipe for my rig. Here is some reasearch I did on pipe sizing in AUS: http://isrtv.com/forums/topic/681-simul8r-rig-2-pvc-schedule40-mark-ii-plans-on-pg-9/page-29#entry79639

Yes RRP doesn't make this a cheap build but I was lucky to have a mate who is a builder who got me a great deal thorugh his supplier.

I got all the PVC pipe & fittings for 2 complee Simul8r MKII rigs for about $115 ea rig.

I have decided to screw mine together to save the hassle & mess of glue plus it allows for easier modifications later. Also once painted it'll look like a riveted roll-cage. lol

I too have a car seat which is posing the same issues you highlight, I have an idea how I will mount mine using two beams of wood wih the rails sitting on top & slotted to sit into the PVC cross-members tied to the rig using 1/2 saddles, this is so I can get the seat as low as possible. I will be trying to mount it this weekend, come back here to see how it goes & it may give you ideas for mounting yours.

Good Luck & if I can help with anything more give us a shout in here.

Hello Junkee, Im from Sydney and also build a PVC sim, using class 18 pipe, officially its called 50mm, but is more like 62mm overall diameter.

Mine is also screwed together, but mine is motion used and not static used.

http://isrtv.com/forums/topic/681-simul8r-rig-2-pvc-schedule40-mark-ii-plans-on-pg-9/page-29 its down the page somewhere.

My seat is a racing bucket, so I just bolted it to a sheet of MDF and screwed that down.

Plenty of Aussie help as well it seems.

Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice, greatly appreciated  :mrgreen: 

I ended up buying my PVC fittings from pipeonline.com.au over in Perth. I went with the 50mm ones which worked out to be $125.20 delivered which included a bunch of spares (just in case).

Once they arrive I will go buy some pipe from somewhere local.

Here is what I ordered:
10x PVC Elbow 90° 50mm
10x PVC Elbow 45° 50mm
22x PVC Tee Plain 50mm
4x PVC Cap 50mm

I also have an idea in my head about mounting the seat with timber blocks, but I'll see how it actually works out when I physically attempt it and let you know how I go haha.

Just wondering if you guys used the exact measurements on the MK2 design and just converted them to metric?

From what I have seen, watched and heard, I think I want to keep my seat as much in line with my pedals as possible. I did a rough estimate with the seat sitting on the floor and It needs to go up at least 150mm for my eyes to be level with the middle of my screen.

I also think I will be using either screws or rivets to hold it all together and not worry about paint until I have made any final changes and worked out the shifter and handbrake I will be using.

screws will hold it together fine, use 3-4 screws per join. Mines screwed together and survives motion no problem.

Also, great pricing there, what rating pipe did you get? pn12, pn18?

As for mine, i have been building rigs for 3 years so I got a bit of an idea, but I made mine a bit bigger, fitted it together and found in too long in places, no probs. Pull it apart, cut , refit.

beawdy mate!

Flinty, I don't think I have a picture of your finished rig or are you still working on it?

BTW, great to see you guys jumping in and helping your Aussie mates. Outstanding!

Junkee, I used the exact measurements from simul8r's MkII plans by using a measuring tape with feet & inches on it. ;)

I'm still not sure on the size as I'm 6'2". However reading others who have posted here who are similar height I think it will be fine.

Plus screwing it together will make it a bit easier if I do want to change sizing later.

simul8r, yep mine isn't finished yet, it's still only trail fitted with the seat still to be mounted. I also need to find a nice table-top for it.

It's been delayed due to sickness & also as I needed to pretty up the area of my garage where the rig is going to live.

It's turned into a much larger project after initially thinking it'll be a quick job. :o

Hopefully the seat will get mounted this weekend along with the pedal & gearbox mounts.

Junkee, I used the exact measurements from simul8r's MkII plans by using a measuring tape with feet & inches on it. ;)

I'm still not sure on the size as I'm 6'2". However reading others who have posted here who are similar height I think it will be fine.

Plus screwing it together will make it a bit easier if I do want to change sizing later.

Ah ok thanks. I am only 5'8" so I will use the same measurements and then cut down the two middle pipes if its a bit too long =)