Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To buy a G27 or not?

14 posts in this topic

I've been using my 13 year-old Logitech Formula Force GP since it launched, and I've been happy with it to this very day, including pCARS, the newest game that I use it with.

But, I've been on the fence of getting something new, something that has full 900-degree rotation, a clutch pedal, and some other goodies.

Would it be worth it to make the jump, or is there a different, perhaps cheaper, combo set that I should take a look at?

G27 is still the best "bang for the buck". You get everything you need (900 degrees, clutch, H-shifter) in one package and it is compatible with everything and very reliable. As a bonus, there are a lot of mods available.

@ "besweeet "~"I've been using my 13 year-old Logitech Formula Force GP since it launched"

hehe,I think that says a lot about "Logitech" quality,even with their lower priced entry level wheels,I still Have my "DFP" and it still works like a champ,I gave my even older "Momo" wheel to my nephew about 2 years ago & him and all his Buddy's drive the living hell out of it every single day,& yep! it still is performing flawless,thats pretty damn amazing to me that a bunch of crazed teenagers could not even kill the mighty old "MOMO"! :lol:

anyway should you upgrade to a "G27"? you say you are happy with your "FFGP" for the most part~but if you do want to upgrade to a MUCH better wheel and pedal set,then I can tell you first hand that the "G27" is a gr8 wheel with VERY good solid pedals and a decent gated shifter [6 speed & reverse] and honestly I have nothing but GR8 things to say about the 'G27" & pretty much "Logitech" products in general,you could go with a "DFGT" and save a few bucks,but you would end up with more or less a better version of what you are using now,and it has no clutch or gated shifter~and really the pedals on the "G27" are worth the extra $$$ alone,there are a few things you may want to consider before buying the "G27" though~you did not say if you have a wheel stand or "Rig",and if you are a Desk & office chair racer you should know that the "G27" has a separate Gated Shifter & a pretty fair amount of "FF" [depending on what title you are playing] and really needs to be mounted well,[preferably Hard Mounted],not to say the "G27" can not be used with a desk & office chair..it just is not the ideal wheel for that,and truthfully if you are really trying to take your "SIM" Racing to the next level,you REALLY should consider getting at least a wheel stand,if that is not in your budget and you honestly do not have the cash or just do not want to spend anymore money,then perhaps the "DFGT" would be a better fit for you,of course there is no clutch & gated shifter though..[sort of a catch 22 hu? lol] but seeing as you can pick up a brand new "G27" and a decent wheel stand for about $350.00 total,that is not unreasonable in the least,anyway what ever you decide on,good luck & GR8 Racing! :D

G27 is still my favorite wheel. I have a Gt2 but I haven't tried the more expensive fanatec wheels or T500rs (which is now under 350 at PC Nation website). One reason I prefer the G27 is the fact I have carpal tunnel and G27 helical gears are a lot easier on my hands (wrist) than belt driven GT2. (My hands starts to tingle after using my Gt2 for any length of time). This is why I'm not interested in T500rs Black Friday deal as I don't want a stronger FFB wheel than my GT2 or G27.

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll just go for the G27. I forgot to mention that the pedals on my FFGP have definitely felt as though they'll snap soon. The tiny shifters have also lost their sensitivity a bit.

@ocaxeman: I stick with my desk. I'm not sure how much I'll use the H-shifter. We'll see when it arrives :).

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the G27 club. I got mine about 2 weeks ago. Hey, just wanted to tell you, this wheel is not compatible with the Xbox 360 unfortuneately. Have fun with it. =0)

I'm coming from the Logitech FFGP myself. The G27 is an incredibly wonderful upgrade. =0)

Nixim springs or AP Electrix Load Cell? I think the load cell is about twice the price of the Nixim. Is it worth it?

Hey Brian, did you feel like your arm just had a workout after those first couple of races? Felt like I was doing some arm curls after finishing my first session with the G27. That FFGP was a toy compared to the G27, am I right? lol

Oops, my notification settings were completely disabled, so here are my replies, months later!

Now if you want to improve your brake pedal drastically without spending big moneys get the NIXIM Brake Pedal MOD. Thank's to the guys here at ISR I changed mine and made a HUGE difference, makes you feel that your brake has a hydraulic pump behind it ;)
{C}http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwKKzSDlaz0{C}

I'm pleased with the stiffness of the brake so far, but I'll look into it sometime.

Nixim springs or AP Electrix Load Cell? I think the load cell is about twice the price of the Nixim. Is it worth it?

Hey Brian, did you feel like your arm just had a workout after those first couple of races? Felt like I was doing some arm curls after finishing my first session with the G27. That FFGP was a toy compared to the G27, am I right? lol

Absolutely! Some pCARS races are very intense. Love it.

if your mainly racing f1 then open em up and swap out the clutch for the brake, i used the cutch in the centre as a drs activation switch, its quite simple and gives you a more comfortable position, just a thought

Not much open-wheel stuff from me.