Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does iRacing still suck?

56 posts in this topic

Yes iRacing is one of our sponsors but I am so tired of this kind of crap.. Really ??

I'd like to see the original poster (the guy that complained in 2010) come up with a better solution.. I'd also like to find out how old the OP is and if he's actually driven a real car and if so, has he gone over the speed limit.

If anyone that has these things to say, has been around as long as I have in this hobby, they would appreciate how far it's come in so little time..

Really?? We're racing real time from our homes against people all over the world. Do you know what I would have given to be able to do this when I came out of high school ? People are spoiled nowadays and don't appreciate what we have or how we got here.

iRacing doesn't come close to sucking.. It's by far the best racing simulation in the world currently. Anyone can debate me or challenge my take, but that's what it is.. MY take.. I have also been doing this since day one.. before there were wheel and pedal sets, before consoles could come close to competing with the PC, before we had good internet.. Is iRacing perfect, no and there will never be a racing simulation that is because you can't simulate G forces, injuries and true fear factor.

I was dialing directly into Papyrus to race on Nascar 1..

Take a look at where I started

I wish I could send some of the whiners and complainers back in a time machine to see what we had to race with...

Appreciate it or find another hobby...

If there are any flaws in a product I pay money for I'm going to mention them or complain about them. I don't care how "near perfect" people think it is, if something about it bothers me, I'm not just going to be thankful it's not as bad as it used to be. This aint charity.

Iracing does not suck but racing people around the world is not very impressive or unique anymore. All this "people are spoiled" business is just pure nonsense. People pay for this stuff, and the creators are rewarded for their efforts if they are successful. People should complain about flaws. Standards and expectations should always be raised.

Appreciate it or find another hobby? Really? They can appreciate my money and feedback or find another customer. And this is a bit of a niche if you haven't noticed. I'm not going to "appreciate it" or leave I'm going to enjoy it if I can, point out what I don't like, and drop it if I don't.

It's your business how much criticism you allow on your own website, but your "appreciate it or leave" attitude is pretty silly. It's not like iracing is in business to feed the hungry.

Darin can defend himself but you need to need to look at the OP and take any response in the proper context.

What is silly here is the OP joining iRacing a few weeks ago then comes here and says he has a problem with it crashing because he has no video card. Yet he names his thread "Does iRacing Still Suck". Then the main body of his post is supposedly some list of complaints he found in some thread he doesn't link to which is supposedly from 2010.

All this thread is meant to do it start a flame war. That is the silliness here. The OP doesn't have any complaints on his own other than his supposed crashing which I'm not convinced of since he's asked for zero help with it here or the iRacing forums with that crashing problem.

It's one thing to have legit complaints about iRacing after you've used it and see how others feel about it. An actual debate about actual issues with the sim and experience is good. It's another thing for a thread like this to get started the way it did. That is probably why you see some people get upset about this kind of trolling.

I was dialing directly into Papyrus to race on Nascar 1..

Take a look at where I started

I wish I could send some of the whiners and complainers back in a time machine to see what we had to race with...

Appreciate it or find another hobby...

Ah yes. 1994 was one of the all time classic years for gaming. In additional to Nascar Racing, I was playing a lot of Daytona USA, Doom, Tie Fighter and the first editions of Fifa Soccer, Tekken and Warcraft.

I think that was also the year I started buying games on CD-Rom instead of 3.5" floppy disks.

Ah yes. 1994 was one of the all time classic years for gaming. In additional to Nascar Racing, I was playing a lot of Daytona USA, Doom, Tie Fighter and the first editions of Fifa Soccer, Tekken and Warcraft.

I think that was also the year I started buying games on CD-Rom instead of 3.5" floppy disks.

Early 90's sim racing for me was Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II. Strangely, the masters mode of that game is very similar to F12012's season challenge, where you pick a rival and work your way to the best team.

Here is a clip.

edit: BTW, that game had real tracks, forced in car view, race ending crashes, manual shift and rain. :mrgreen:

Tie Fighter brings back some memories. I loved that and X-Wing back in the day... when Star Wars games were actually good :)

If there are any flaws in a product I pay money for I'm going to mention them or complain about them. I don't care how "near perfect" people think it is, if something about it bothers me, I'm not just going to be thankful it's not as bad as it used to be. This aint charity.

Iracing does not suck but racing people around the world is not very impressive or unique anymore. All this "people are spoiled" business is just pure nonsense. People pay for this stuff, and the creators are rewarded for their efforts if they are successful. People should complain about flaws. Standards and expectations should always be raised.

Appreciate it or find another hobby? Really? They can appreciate my money and feedback or find another customer. And this is a bit of a niche if you haven't noticed. I'm not going to "appreciate it" or leave I'm going to enjoy it if I can, point out what I don't like, and drop it if I don't.

It's your business how much criticism you allow on your own website, but your "appreciate it or leave" attitude is pretty silly. It's not like iracing is in business to feed the hungry.

Some of your points are valid in my opinion, some an attempt to draw me into a fight.

I still stand by my initial thoughts and feel that anyone complaining about modern technology needs to find something else if it's not up to what they feel it should be.. Or.. Make it better yourself..

Complaining about knit picky stuff is not constructive. Yes it's niche.. which is why I find it hard to believe people complain about what the developers have accomplished. We can race real time, nose to tail, over the internet.. They have modeled a tire to react close to reality.. You can complain all you want but if you don't have a solution, or can't do better, you should just keep it to yourself or move on. No one is forcing you to pay for anything....

1-I'm not trying to draw a fight.

2-Nitpicky stuff is constructive because small details matter. For an example, see Steve Jobs and every apple product ever.

And I think I did offer some solution to the problems I have with the thing. I would like to try a "look to apex" deal like lots of other sims have. It may not be the answer, but I think it would help me. And let the damn cars stall. I think I gave praise to the tire model as well.

You're right no one is forcing me to buy anything, but I can still nit-pick for something that costs as much as this. Can I do better? No, that is why I pay iracing an insane amount of money. No doubt the sim is an achievement, but there is no reason someone should not say how it could be better. They should be proud the sim has improved to the point that it's only nitpicky stuff people really bitch about.

To continue the Apple analogy, it's like your saying that a person who buys an ipad and says "yeh it's nice but I wish I could watch the flash vids on my favorite site" is wrong for doing so and should just be thankful the altruistic gods of Apple were so charitable as to bless their lives with the thing in the first place, for only $600 or so.

I'm glad people did not keep their complaints about Windows 95, dial up internet, and command line operating systems to themselves just because they could not do better.

Last thing I will say is telling someone not to make a valid complaint, no matter how nitpicky, is stupid and a missed opportunity to promote a product. The smart thing is give a good reason why the chosen direction is the best one, what the advantage is to the chosen approach or what solution is in the works to address the complaint. I worked in the insurance business long enough to know that a salesman who can't turn complaints and objections into selling points won't last very long.

Good points saroorhai,

I also enjoy iRacing a lot. But I also would like to have some things implemented, which are already mentioned here.

I can't understand the way you are arguing, Darin. Seems that you are very sensitive, when it's about iRacing. Just my observation. And IMHO you can't justify this, only because we are talking about your "passion". Open discussion should always be allowed.

In former days, "Grand Prix 2" was one of the best simulations on the market. It was nearly perfect. But it missed things like rain, blown tires, blown engines... I am not allowed to complain abou that, because I am not able to program a weather and tire model? You can't be serious in this point Darin. I have to be thankful for all the other benefits of this game? Maybe, that's why I bought it. But other games provided the things, I missed in GP2. So why not discuss it, so that the game (or it's successor) can be improved?

I am not allowed to complain, if my brand new car has a faulty paintwork, because I can not do better?

Might be, that the OP had a strange approach and used a suboptimal thread-title. But there are better ways to argue, than just "love it, or leave it!"

Mahnegold

The difference between complaining and constructive criticism is what it boils down to. Its pretty easy to say iRacing is expensive and sucks. Its also easy to say that you would see more value in iRacing if cars would stall and it had weather. That being said, just look at the dirt on the windshield addition with the last update. A lot of people are complaining about that added realism. I am new to iRacing, but it seems to me that they can't win with some people. Enjoy what we have. Post improvement suggestions in the iRacing forums. They have a spot just for that. Hopefully it will get implemented.

The difference between complaining and constructive criticism is what it boils down to. Its pretty easy to say iRacing is expensive and sucks. Its also easy to say that you would see more value in iRacing if cars would stall and it had weather. That being said, just look at the dirt on the windshield addition with the last update. A lot of people are complaining about that added realism. I am new to iRacing, but it seems to me that they can't win with some people. Enjoy what we have. Post improvement suggestions in the iRacing forums. They have a spot just for that. Hopefully it will get implemented.

I posted here in response to a guy asking for advice. I gave opinions about what I thought were good and bad points of the service, in what I think was a pretty fair response to the post he referenced originally. I don't see what's wrong with that.

But if I wanted to complain, there is nothing wrong with that either. Though you are right, the iracing forums are probably the most appropriate place.

Darin's comments just prompted an emotional response. But I have to wonder about a guy whose business attracts its viewers by supposedly pointing out flaws in products he reviews, however nitpicky, then suggests people should have a "love it or leave" attitude to those same products. Would he have had the same response had it not been iracing but rfactor being nitpicked? I doubt it. But one could make the same argument of being thankful for the technology that allows such customization and user created content for such a low cost.

I posted here in response to a guy asking for advice. I gave opinions about what I thought were good and bad points of the service, in what I think was a pretty fair response to the post he referenced originally. I don't see what's wrong with that.

But if I wanted to complain, there is nothing wrong with that either. Though you are right, the iracing forums are probably the most appropriate place.

Darin's comments just prompted an emotional response. But I have to wonder about a guy whose business attracts its viewers by supposedly pointing out flaws in products he reviews, however nitpicky, then suggests people should have a "love it or leave" attitude to those same products. Would he have had the same response had it not been iracing but rfactor being nitpicked? I doubt it. But one could make the same argument of being thankful for the technology that allows such customization and user created content for such a low cost.

Our business it to point out flaws ? No.. We mainly want to point out the positive.. Our goal when we created this show was to create awareness and to bring in sim racers, not talk about how much stuff sucks. I hate pointing out flaws to be honest, but yes we do it to aid in peoples purchase decisions.

I reply to a thread titled "Does iRacing Still Suck" because Im passionate about how much it doesnt suck and never has and you come at me with all this "business model" stuff.. Your responses prompted emotions from me. Am I supposed to be some corporate puppet/robot that says what Im told ?? What was my responsoe suppose to be?

I love rFactor and Image Space and they have helped us along the way too.. Go back and watch the first two years of our show and tell me I don't love rfactor. Look at our Top Sim Car list...

With the options available today in this hobby and the many other hobbies on this planet, yes I do have the love it or at least like it, improve it, or have corrective / constructive / positive input to give about making it better, or leave.. Im tired of the nit picky whiners. Sorry.. Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy, but this hobby has come a long way and I for one appreciate and love it and am not leaving it. I'll also stand up for the things I think don't suck and tell you why.

Why would anyone want to stick around a hobby they think sucks and complain about it ?? Life is too short which is why Im done with this thread..

I have to agree with Darin on this one.

iRacing is a great service but is NOT for everyone.

As a Rookie (Nvidia Cup), I find it difficult to want to spend more money on it or time for that matter if all I get to race on is 2 tracks. As I mentioned in another thread on these forums, it would be much more of a taste for iRacing is they rotated between the 4 road courses, rotate each week, in example.....

Week 1 ... Lime Rock Park / Okayama

Week 2 ... Laguna Seca / Lime Rock Park

Week 3 ... Summit Point / Laguna Seca

Week 4 ... Okayama / Summit Point

And the rotation starts over.

This would give us rookies a good taste of what iRacing is all about, more tracks to race and learn from, each of these tracks have their own intricacies which help a new driver learn and after all, isn't that what the Rookie licence is all about.... learning?

Yes, I could fast track to a higher license and buy new tracks and cars but to be honest, I don't feel ready for this, I'd really hate to ruin someone's race because I came unprepared and inexperienced thus my logic for wanting to stick with the Nvidia Cup until I think I'm ready to kick it up a notch, even the Sporting Code mentions something about this?

But to be honest, I am bored out of my wits with Okayama short and Lime Rock Park so I barely get on iRacing anymore. The rotation listed above would make it worthwhile to spend time in iRacing for me.

I love the service, the racing door to door with others but the current track rotation (Nvidia Cup) blows dead goats at midnight.

Just my opinion and my reason for not spending as much time in iRacing as I would or should.

Agreed with Darin again, rFactor is a great sim, all the free mods for it make it in a class of it's own.

I hope rFactor 2 will have the same success once it's out of beta and a full commercial release is available.

For me personally, I also very much like the SimBin titles, GTL, GTR2 (quite nice with the Power and Glory Mod), and the Race07 series with all of it's add on packs

Sim Racing has come a long way in the short few years I've been in the hobby, looks like it keeps growing, the hardware and software keeps maturing and only good things can happen from here. Who ever thought 5 years ago you'd be able to buy something like a T500RS package for that kind of price, also guys like Derek Spear, John Bodin, and others being dedicated to making high quality components at a reasonable price point.

I think the Hobby / Sport has a bright future ahead. :)

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

I don't think it ever has sucked but the amount of involvement one puts into their hobby is a big factor if iracing is for you or not. Takes a bit of commitment and I for one like to spread those committments around to many different sims.

This is where it all started for me personally..

Not really an Indy Fan but at the time no NASCAR title existed.

So I really appreciate iRacing and is by far my favorite hobby! I was into RC cars years ago and in price comparasion, iRacing is a drop in the bucket. Not to mention travel time to tracks, broken parts, only on weekends, were a lot of the reason I no longer do RC racing. I can iRace 24/7 if I wanted whenever my schedule allows it. I'm so addicted I am flying from the DC area to Dallas TX in March for a 3 day seminar on iRacing. Paying for plane tickets,hotel room, and rental car for a "sim" is something I am sure not everyone would do and quite frankly may deem as a little crazy or nuts. Whats great to me is that my wife actually paid everything for me and is 100% supportive of my hobby.

does iracing suck?... not to sure as I hardly get to race anymore. the user who mentioned those who have jobs is totally correct. working 8-5 you'd think you'd still have time to race. but then i get back home from the office around six, usually eat supper and pass out in front of the tv shortly after. Kinda sad that my stats show only 7 races run this year, but i know im competitive enough to go after a pro class license. the one feature of iracing that I dislike the most is having to put up with drivers that treat it like an arcade game and dont care if they take out other cars.

as for the software, yes it is very impressive and is an improvement over NR2003. but when it comes to wheeling cars, I whole hardly agree that ARCA Sim Racing is a better sim when it comes to driveability. shame that ASR has almost zero community.

your totaly missing the point, your focus should be on learning your racecraft and having a good time on the track, even if you finish last, if your goal from the start is coming first and winning prizes then my friend i fear your setting the bar too high for yourself, if your not good at something your not gonna like it, if you dont get better your gonna hate it and complain about it, i tried fishing once, i thought that sucked so i didnt go again, but i dont go around telling everybody fishing sucks, its there hobby, and they love it, as we do sim racing

does iracing suck?... not to sure as I hardly get to race anymore. the user who mentioned those who have jobs is totally correct. working 8-5 you'd think you'd still have time to race. but then i get back home from the office around six, usually eat supper and pass out in front of the tv shortly after. Kinda sad that my stats show only 7 races run this year, but i know im competitive enough to go after a pro class license. the one feature of iracing that I dislike the most is having to put up with drivers that treat it like an arcade game and dont care if they take out other cars.

as for the software, yes it is very impressive and is an improvement over NR2003. but when it comes to wheeling cars, I whole hardly agree that ARCA Sim Racing is a better sim when it comes to driveability. shame that ASR has almost zero community.

Show me another game that handles crashers better than iRacing? Or better yet, a game that has no crashers. iRacing's best asset is it's license system.

I just started iRacing. It most definitely does not suck and I wish I started sooner.

It can be frustrating.

The big one that worried me before I started was the negative comments about physics. All I can say after iRacing pretty solid for over a week is these guys haven't driven real cars fast. iRacing physics are excellent!

The FFB on the other hand isn't as great. It's not terrible but with my G25 I wouldn't describe it as very accurate. And yes I have set it up correctly. That said it's not a big deal, I don't think about it when racing.

I hate the pricing model, I don't like games that charge for content and I pretty much avoid them but iRacing isn't a game and there is no other service that offers what it does so I reluctantly accept that I must pay extra but I would prefer a subscription only deal even if the periodic payment was a bit more.

Something else I'm not a big fan of is the need to be able to setup your car. I'll run the exact same line a much faster guy is smoother than him with the same breaking and accelerating points but there is no way I can keep up. I'll spend a lot of time on setup and get faster but these guys still have it over me. I haven't worked out where I'm losing the speed yet so it's frustrating. All I want to do is drive the race car, I'm not a race team, I don't want to setup my car, I wish there was a different way that just allowed me to be a race driver.

You can race with what you have. Sure I want a better setup but I am racing on a ghetto rig. I'm playing on a 2011 Mac Mini siting on a lounge chair infront of my g25 mounted to a hammered together abortion that makes the death mobile look elite in front of my tv. Sure it's not ideal and the graphics are not perfect but it still looks and plays great. My daughters hardcore gaming boyfriend was commenting about how good it looked and played today as well as how cool he thinks my setup is.

I want to simulate real racing because I can't afford the real thing. As far as software goes IMO iRacing is it. Sure it can get better but this is as close as it gets at the moment. If you are like me and want to simulate real racing as best you can forget anything else just get iRacing.

Sure you can race leagues on rFactor but if you want an all in one easy to use hassle free racing service iRacing is it and nothing else comes close. The licencing, safety rating and irating systems are what really set it apart and everything is easily located in one place and installed or updated with a simple click. No having to dig through multiple communities to find the right mods, just go to the members site click and you're good to go.

Also you will read about how impossible it is to get out of Rookies. If you take it seriously it's not. I think it took me about 2 days to go class D in both Road and oval and a few more days I was class C on road. In hindsight if I was a little more patient I could have done that in a day knowing what I know now. Once you are out of Rookies the sim is so much better with other drivers who race clean. That said a lot of guys on higher licences like racing Rookies because I guess the rubbing can be fun and a different challenge.

Don't get iRacing if you want a casual racing game, this is a sim that requires a certain amount of dedication. 

My background. Racing games going back to the original test drive. Early racing arcade games as a kid that had me dreaming of the setup I'm about to build over 20 years ago. My first driving sim was Hard Driving, I sunk thousands of Dads $'s in that one, I learnt to drive in it. All of the Gran Tourismo series. Everything by Simbin. A few rally and F1 titles. iRacing is the only Race sim I know of. 

I just started iRacing. It most definitely does not suck and I wish I started sooner.

It can be frustrating.

The big one that worried me before I started was the negative comments about physics. All I can say after iRacing pretty solid for over a week is these guys haven't driven real cars fast. iRacing physics are excellent!

The FFB on the other hand isn't as great. It's not terrible but with my G25 I wouldn't describe it as very accurate. And yes I have set it up correctly. That said it's not a big deal, I don't think about it when racing.

I hate the pricing model, I don't like games that charge for content and I pretty much avoid them but iRacing isn't a game and there is no other service that offers what it does so I reluctantly accept that I must pay extra but I would prefer a subscription only deal even if the periodic payment was a bit more.

Something else I'm not a big fan of is the need to be able to setup your car. I'll run the exact same line a much faster guy is smoother than him with the same breaking and accelerating points but there is no way I can keep up. I'll spend a lot of time on setup and get faster but these guys still have it over me. I haven't worked out where I'm losing the speed yet so it's frustrating. All I want to do is drive the race car, I'm not a race team, I don't want to setup my car, I wish there was a different way that just allowed me to be a race driver.

You can race with what you have. Sure I want a better setup but I am racing on a ghetto rig. I'm playing on a 2011 Mac Mini siting on a lounge chair infront of my g25 mounted to a hammered together abortion that makes the death mobile look elite in front of my tv. Sure it's not ideal and the graphics are not perfect but it still looks and plays great. My daughters hardcore gaming boyfriend was commenting about how good it looked and played today as well as how cool he thinks my setup is.

I want to simulate real racing because I can't afford the real thing. As far as software goes IMO iRacing is it. Sure it can get better but this is as close as it gets at the moment. If you are like me and want to simulate real racing as best you can forget anything else just get iRacing.

Sure you can race leagues on rFactor but if you want an all in one easy to use hassle free racing service iRacing is it and nothing else comes close. The licencing, safety rating and irating systems are what really set it apart and everything is easily located in one place and installed or updated with a simple click. No having to dig through multiple communities to find the right mods, just go to the members site click and you're good to go.

Also you will read about how impossible it is to get out of Rookies. If you take it seriously it's not. I think it took me about 2 days to go class D in both Road and oval and a few more days I was class C on road. In hindsight if I was a little more patient I could have done that in a day knowing what I know now. Once you are out of Rookies the sim is so much better with other drivers who race clean. That said a lot of guys on higher licences like racing Rookies because I guess the rubbing can be fun and a different challenge.

Don't get iRacing if you want a casual racing game, this is a sim that requires a certain amount of dedication. 

My background. Racing games going back to the original test drive. Early racing arcade games as a kid that had me dreaming of the setup I'm about to build over 20 years ago. My first driving sim was Hard Driving, I sunk thousands of Dads $'s in that one, I learnt to drive in it. All of the Gran Tourismo series. Everything by Simbin. A few rally and F1 titles. iRacing is the only Race sim I know of. 

I'm currently on my third go with this game (grew quickly frustrated the first two times). It was only based on recommendations of people that I really trusted that I resolved to try and truly fix things.

I'm someone who certainly subscribed to the ice racing critique. I never used those words on the internet because it's trolling, but it's how I felt deep down. So what's fixed for me this time?

Two things:

1.) Make sure the FOV is current. If you're running a single monitor, you can't be using 70-90 FOV.

2.) And this is HUGE for not only the quality of the FFB, but in being able to spot things before they go heywire and send you into a bewildered 720 spin:

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2023748.page

If you're unwilling to calculate your own settings, use the settings in post #2. Yes, adjusting FFB on a per car/track basis makes a huge difference. It's the difference between me rage deleting because I can't keep the Mazda from spinning out on Lime Rock and being able to run lap after lap without incident.

Looking back at this, it seems most games/mods that I've liked the most in the past have really tuned FFB on a per car basis. But IMO default FFB absolutely sucks with my T500. But it's great if you use the settings in that thread.

I read that thread and others before I started, like I said it's setup right.

The FOV thing is funny because my correct FOV should be below the games minimum of 45, I have it low most of the time but have figured out for best results this also needs to be changed per car and for some especially oval just to see further down the track I do set it between 70-90 and have learned how to drive with it like that.

This is my third try as well and I think this time I am more dedicated to getting out of the Rookie sink hole. What confuses me is that some people say it took them only a couple days to move to D-class and onto C-class when iRacing only reviews the promotions once a month.

Like now I have to wait till end of next month to be considered for D-class. How is it possible to do it any other way?

IRacing can be very frustrating. Dedication is definitly the keyword. You practice while waiting for the right time to qualify then wait for the race to start, and then some inconsiderate guy wipes you out on lap one. so you start again all because you have to finish top half to score well, with no incidents. And then you score 0.68 on a road race and only 0.1 on an oval race. Like I said dedication is the keyword here.

Its called fast track. You have a minimum requirements you have to meet, and get above a 4.0 safety rating for your class to get fast track promoted. Minimum requirements are 2 races or 2 time trials for rookie class. Or 4 races or 4 time trials for D-A class. Once you have those requirements meet, and above 4.0 safety you get promoted to next license level on the spot.

Otherwise, you have to do the minimum amount of races and time trials for the class, and get above a 3.0 by the end of the season (12 weeks) to get promoted for D-A classes, rookies get promoted every last Monday of the month.