Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does iRacing still suck?

56 posts in this topic

I've lately joined iRacing (3 month deal). For now, I can only access one track, and I hope it's because I need to get a graphics card. Otherwise it might be a more complicated problem. But anyway...

While looking for a solution, I've found a very interesting post on some other forum...

If half of what this guy says is true, then I think I'm just wasting time with Iracing.

(...but it's from 2010).

So what do you guys say? Is he right, or is this post really outdated and iRacing has significantly improved since then?

Here is the post:

---------------------------------------------

In no particular order but this is why iRacing is very, very over priced.

1. Horrible crash physics. (search for iracing crashes on youtube and you'll see for yourself)

2. Bad transmission model. No variable position clutch. That means clutch is either engaged or not. GTR2 had that almost seven years ago now. The transmission is cheated by most players using a macro because the transmission driving aid is way too slow. If you don't use a macro to cheat the transmission you're at a disadvantage and will get beat on the straights everytime.

3. Terrible tire model. Netkar pro has a awesome tire model and now puts most sims to shame in that department. You can't flat spot your tires in iracing, or pick up dirt and debris when going off track as you can in Netkar pro. If you watch the fast guys on oval racing they are almost always drifting the car into the corners.

4. No interactive cockpit.

5. No weather options or night racing. Weather and tempuratures are always the same. You don't even get a track tempurature.

6. No brake tempuratures. You can gas and brake at the same time all day long in iracing without causing any problems to your brake.

7. Adding fuel option is terrible. You can't add fuel in smaller increments.

8. A violent spin in iracing does not stall your car.

9. Single groove racing for ovals. The low line is always the fast line. Oval racing sucks even worse than road in iracing.

10. Way too darn expensive. Iracing is always wanting you to feed them money. Tracks are 15 bucks per. Cars are 12 bucks per. Membership is 100 dollars a year. You have to buy cars just to move up in license. So if your intention to join iracing was to drive one car you might have to buy two or three cars just to eventually drive the one you wanted to when you first joined.

11. If you want to do multi class racing you have to buy the cars you race against as well. Again at 12 bucks per. Total scam.

12. Some series have very little participation and when they say race against people of your own skill level that is a total lie.

13. iracing is easily hacked. iracing does not use anti cheat software and has been getting hacked the entire time. Look it up on youtube as well.

14. The graphics are old. It's the same graphics engine as the old papyrus games with some new shadows and anti aliasing. The GTR games and Race 07 look much better. Plus those games have animated flagmen and spectators. The GTR games also have cool stuff like glowing brake discs and unspent fuel flaming from the exhaust.

15. The sound sucks in iracing. Engine sounds don't even sound like an engine. You can't adjust the sounds either. Like if you wanted to raise the sound of tyre skid you can't.

16. No animated drivers.

17. No offline mode.

------------------------------------------

Why can't you access more than one track? It comes with several tracks in the base package and if you did the Cadillac deal that includes 3 free additional tracks that make out the full season the Cadillac Cup series. I'm not sure how a graphics card relates to you only being able to access a single track.

Did you download all your content? Even after you download and install the iRacing client you still have to separately download all your free cars and tracks.

I'm not going to comment on what looks like a troll post from 2010. If you get your problem straightened out, drive the sim, participate in some races, series, seasons, leagues and special events and decide for yourself. You have 3 months and all the content needed to run all the rookie series and even a good bit to run in class D if you get promoted out of Rookie (at least on the Road side) before you need to buy anymore content. No reason you can't get the full iRacing experience for free with the 3 month Cadillac deal if you try. Then you can judge if for yourself.

I didn't like IRacing much...The physics were so so Nothing Special about them to me. The biggest downfall for me is that you never Own anything!!! I had IRacing for a year and when you don't want to pay to renew your subscription Every Track and Car Pack that you Paid for is just Gone and Done! You have to be a member to play that's it bottom line! I think that sucks... But if you dont mind paying for stuff you will never own I guess It could be fun...RFactor2 & Race07/Injection W/all the packs is just as good to me and you only pay for it once.

Not really a bad point about IRacing but it can be frustrating that there is sooo much tuning that has to be done just to be competitive and when you have a Life, Wife , Kids & a job it's just not that much fun to tune all the time looking for that majic set up(you will never be able to beat some one that has too much time on their hands! LOL)... And Tune you will because No one Races just to loose. yes people help and share tunes but you still have to tweek & fine tune it to your driving style & habits.

Iracing is not for the casual gamer that wants to run a few laps every now and then.

As far as the comments from 2010, a lot of what he states is true but is cockpit animations the reason that Iracing has a following? IMO the real gem in Iracing is the standards that force good driving and good driving edequate. I came over from racing on the PS3 and there is no comparison and the car physics are about as good as you can expect. The laser scanned tracks are about as accurate as it gets.

Now that the service has gone 64 bit theres a good chance that flashier graphics and additional track objects will be added but that's just icing on the cake.. not the cake.

Take the Shift series for example, great sounds, visuals, etc. but horrible online experience, horrible driving physics and so on.

Get in a series and drive, that's when you will get hooked and see what Iracing is all about.

Complaints about iRacing's cost after they've been out for several years now comes off as hollow to me. As I said in my other post there is ample opportunity to try iRacing for 3 months or longer at minimal out of pocket. You will know in that time if its for you or not.

If its for you, you'll find you don't mind a yearly fee (which you can buy every year on Black Friday for $49) because you will like the way the motorsport service is run.

If you don't then don't renew.

...The biggest downfall for me is that you never Own anything!!! I had IRacing for a year and when you don't want to pay to renew your subscription Every Track and Car Pack that you Paid for is just Gone and Done! You have to be a member to play that's it bottom line! I think that sucks... But if you dont mind paying for stuff you will never own I guess It could be fun...

That is kind of incorrect ... Every car and track you buy will stay in your profile even if you don't renew right away ... You could wait months before renewing and still have access to your car and track addons once you renew your membership ... But yes you need an active account to race and use them...

...If its for you, you'll find you don't mind a yearly fee (which you can buy every year on Black Friday for $49)...

Was this annonced yet? I was waiting for a good deal to renew ...

So that's exactly it!!! What good is it for it to be locked in account and i can't use it....its extortion if you want to use what you paid for then pay me and pay me again and again. Nothing wrong with it if that's what you like or wanna do I've been paying for XBOX Live for 10yrs already so I understand but when $$$ runs low or there's a problem with internet I can still play off line that's the difference IMO.

Iracing is not for the casual gamer that wants to run a few laps every now and then.

I usually Race 2-3 hrs a night mon -thurs and then as much as I can on my days off... I have a nice Game Room set up CSR-Elite ,CSP pedals, Buttkicker PC for gaming and consoles etc... that tuning can Get OCD!!! trying to find that 1/2 sec you been loosing out on is addictive. I've ate many cold dinners cause i was in the middle of a tune But the worst part is when its time to shut it down at night and get ready for work and i'm Deep into it!!! No Work No toys!!! When I figure out how to get toys for free i'm gonna stay home and Blaze the Track All Day All Night!!! LOL.

iRacing is for anyone who likes simracing, casual or hardcore racer ...

If you don't have the money or you just don't like the membership fees idea just use something else ...

There is a very large anti-iRacing crowd that are still tripping over each other lathering at the mouth to get a dig in.There are a number of reasons for this including an ugly beginning when modders were convicted of tampering with the exe. of the original software.Back then developers distributed the software and modders made the sim world go around.Every other simulation out there has it's own issues.Not a single one of them is without fault.

With all the true simulations there is a high degree of tuning required to get the car to handle the way you would like it to.If car tuning is left to a few sliders then it is not a sim but a game and better left to consoles.

Pay to play is the way the world is going folks,suck it up and get on board or be left behind.

iRacing is more than just physics and graphics,it's a huge community as well.All the other services provided simply leave the others in the dust.I could leave a very long post detailing what iRacing provides for it's members and I will challenge anyone to contest it and offer what their fav sim does in comparison. :ugeek:

Some things in that post are accurate. Here are a few points:

You do not have to own all the cars in multiclass. I race the corvette against the protos and Ford gt's and I don't have either of those.

You still can not stall the car, which is totally stupid and lame.

The new tire model is pretty awesome IMO

The tracks are glorious, but ugly. The graphics are really showing some age despite having great models. The cars and suspension move around very realistically, so graphics wise it's a mixed bag I guess.

There is night racing. There is no weather, which combined with no stalling undermines this thing's status as "ultimate sim."

The sounds are ok, but quiet. Maybe that is for dynamic range or something, I don't know.

I still race there, but I doubt I will renew unless it's on sale or something. The content is too expensive IMO and I feel like there will soon be some serious competition. I don't like the way the view is locked, since I don't have a 3 monitor set-up. If I zoom in enough to not see two steering wheels I can not see the apex, so I am forced to zoom out and distort the FOV. Still, it's a great service and for someone like me who has little time to race with a league, it's nice. I wish there were a fixed class F1 series though. I just don't have the time to work on setups during the week, so I am stuck running fixed sports car and indycar road races. For oval racing i don't know where else there is to go. My guess is this is the best oval racing around, but I only have a D license. For road racing there are some other compelling options, depending on what you want.

iRacing is designed for 3 monitors imo and you had better be prepared to buy some peripherals such as tachs or rev bars lol if u want to run the recommended FOV.If you don not run the recommended FOV and choose instead to sit back it stretches the view of the world outside the front windshield and distorts how it should actually look.A major flaw if there is one at iRacing.

I have a friend who uses a huge pull down projection screen and he has just got to the point where he's running the "correct" FOV for one screen.It now looks very realistic but we are heading out to go pick up TrackIR5 and and see how that improves the ability to see apexes and such with 1 screen.

No weather changes,no stalling motors and a limited view with the suggested FOV and 1 monitor I agree are iRacing downfalls.The sound is improving but that can be said about any sim.

Yeh I wish they had an automatic option. I think F1 2012 does this pretty well, where the "look to apex" is tuned exactly right for me in the in-car view without being disorienting and causing a crash. I agree that multi-monitor is probably the best way to go, but I'm not really willing to do all that my desk just for iracing.

Ive been using 3 screens to race for years,long before I went to iracing.It is super handy for more than just sim racing.sometimes I get windows spread out all over them dragging and dropping,comparing different internet pages that sort of thing.

I couldn't use the look to apex options in the other sims.I doubt I could use trackir either.Messes with my mind lol.

Yes iRacing is one of our sponsors but I am so tired of this kind of crap.. Really ??

I'd like to see the original poster (the guy that complained in 2010) come up with a better solution.. I'd also like to find out how old the OP is and if he's actually driven a real car and if so, has he gone over the speed limit.

If anyone that has these things to say, has been around as long as I have in this hobby, they would appreciate how far it's come in so little time..

Really?? We're racing real time from our homes against people all over the world. Do you know what I would have given to be able to do this when I came out of high school ? People are spoiled nowadays and don't appreciate what we have or how we got here.

iRacing doesn't come close to sucking.. It's by far the best racing simulation in the world currently. Anyone can debate me or challenge my take, but that's what it is.. MY take.. I have also been doing this since day one.. before there were wheel and pedal sets, before consoles could come close to competing with the PC, before we had good internet.. Is iRacing perfect, no and there will never be a racing simulation that is because you can't simulate G forces, injuries and true fear factor.

I was dialing directly into Papyrus to race on Nascar 1..

Take a look at where I started

I wish I could send some of the whiners and complainers back in a time machine to see what we had to race with...

Appreciate it or find another hobby...

Lol big D,,,,I just sent that very same Nascar 1 link to a good friend I race with now.I was inspired by my 1st few laps at Rockingham in the National Car and how far it's come since then.There was no Daytona due to licensing issues so the first track on the Schedule was Rockingham in NC.

Yes and I remember reading about you guys on Hawaii racing on the 56.6 modems with the big$ phone bills. :ugeek:

Hey Darin, just to make it clear, I titled the post this way, mainly because I wanted to draw attention and get replies quickly :)

(BTW, I'm a blogger in a totaly differnet niche).

With that said, I've tried rFactor and loved it(!), while iRacing still keeps crashing. Since I've already paid for 3 months, I guess I'll buy a graphics card (I don't have one) and hope this fixes it.

To be honest, one of the main reasons that I'm drawn to iRacing is the oppotunity to win prizes.

I wish there were similar opportunities in RBR for example. Then I would know where to put my focus...

People have this bad habit of always whining about issues they personnaly experience with a perticular product and then blast this product ... like everyone should be experiencing the same ...

Do you really think iRacing would still be in business if their simulator always crashed ?? I personally never had any single crash with iRacing, not a single application crash! ...

Just get a clean install on a good system and make sure to respect at least the minimum requirements... and if it's still crashing then the problem root cause could be just in front of the screen ...

Rotem,

This comes off like troll post. Like you just want to start a flame war. You don't come off wanting any actual help with iRacing.

I don't see where you posted anywhere in the iRacing forums asking for help/advice on your crashing issue. And I find it a bit odd you ran rFactor with no graphics card.

If you want help getting iRacing to run for you why don't you ask for it by telling everyone about the PC you are using and what your problem is... or better yet ask for help in the iRacing forums.

Take a look at where I started

I wish I could send some of the whiners and complainers back in a time machine to see what we had to race with...

Appreciate it or find another hobby...

Funny how Gaming has changed when PONG was out everyone was amazed. Now look where we are, not to long ago I was looking at some Gran Turismo 1 videos on youtube I dont remember it looking so bad lol. Nascar on the keyboard fun times lol.

As for iRacing all I can say is that Forza and GT have been collecting dust.

I just spent the last hour fine tuning a setup for next weeks racing schedule. It was fun enough that it only felt like a few minutes. Its amazing how happy i am to shave .5 seconds off a lap on a legends car. So, does iRacing suck? Depends on your perspective i guess. If you are looking for a "game" to go out and rock the competition with little effort, then i guess it does. If you want a "sim" where you have to fight for every car length, then no, it doesn't suck. You get out of it what you put into it. As with most everything in life. If you can't handle it, then don't bother those of us who chose to enjoy. We know it has faults, but they are constantly working on it. As for the cost, I guess I am bit biased. One year of iRacing costs less than a good weekend out on the town. Get over it and gain perspective. Next time you spend $5 on a coffee or $1.50 on one bottle of water, just think of the fun you will have during a month of racing for less than $10.

I have only been a member for a month now. I progressed out of the rookie road class quickly. The oval was a different story. I found it difficult to avoid the morons for the first few short tracks. In the long run, I think I was better off. I can avoid wrecks with ease. It took some hard work, but I think it was worth it. So, I can sum it up like this. If you are afraid of hard work and dedication, then iRacing will probably suck for you. But if you look at a challenge and say "lets do this", then you will find hours of enjoyment.