Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forza FFB vs PC Sims

7 posts in this topic

I'm getting great ffb from my csr wheel using fw737 on forza 4, especially the feel I get when losing grip. Driving a Ferrari feels amazing and I can catch the car easily when oversteering due to the light feeling you get when grip is lost.

However I cannot get the same results in any of my PC sims and for the first time think that a console sim is better (well with regards to understeer/oversteer ffb). I have tried rFactor, Race 07, Game Stock Car and even F1 2012 (PC version and not a sim!). All have great ffb but I cannot get that feeling I have in forza 4 - tightening when cornering and going ultra light when grip is lost. It is there but nowhere near as good and not sufficient enough to catch the car every time.

Does anyone know if its the Fanatec driver or poor ffb in current generation of pc sims or is forza just giving arcade style effects. I have always prefered pc sims on all levels but this one specific area seems much better in forza than anything else.

Well I purchased Richard Burns Rally recently and even though my force feedback isn't up and running properly, it's seems to be much more realistic than Forza. I love Forza and GT5 and moved between prefering one over the other on regular occasion. But RBR is a different animal. Sure you can catch the back-end when it starts drifting, but only if the physics allow eg. speed into the corner/ the gradient of said corner/ surface etc. I find I'm never really out of control in Forza, whatever speed I'm doing, theres always time enough to catch the drift. It's still a fun game! And a pretty one too. But there is arcade style handling.. I also use a CSR but with FW706.

I did think it could very well be due to more forgiving physics.

The sensation when losing grip is fantastic but perhaps over exaggerated and I agree in Forza it is possible to catch the car almost every time whereas titles like rFactor (mod dependant), Race 07 and Game Stock Car it is not so straight forward.

I think RBR is another extreme. I have never played a more difficult sim title!!

I just want to understand if Forza is basically giving us more arcade style gameplay where the loss of grip is over exaggerated and the ability to correct the understeer / oversteer is also easier or are the current PC sims (not rFactor2 or pCARS) just not that great at translating tyre grip to ffb effects.

I'm using firmware 742 beta on my 911 Turbo S, and I agree the FFB is improved on console titles including Forza 4. Every sim has different ways of giving feedback through the wheel, but Forza is unique in that it uses the rumble motors in the wheel rim to let you know when your tires are losing grip. When I first started using rfactor, I initially thought its FFB was not as good as Forza, since it did not give me that vibration in the wheel rim. At the time I didnt know what was missing. However after spending much more time with rfactor and Race07, I found that they were giving me far more sensations through the wheel than Forza. Being able to adjust all of them to my taste in the game was also great so I could fine-tune the sensations exactly how I wanted them. The FFB in Forza could be stronger, but the sensations felt are very good.

I don't have your setup Paradox so cannot comment but my csr wheel definitely does not provide ffb regarding grip through vibration motors, its done through the main motor. Basic effect of going stiff as you steer and going extremely light when you over or under steer and stiff again when the tires grip once more.

My key issue is that I cannot get any of my PC titles to give me that same sensation. Yes Race 07 does do it but nowhere near as much. I have even tuned the steering force plr file parameters. Cannot remember off hand what they were but essentially there are two settings which determine how much mass transfer or front tire grip effects force feedback response.

I've just realised whilst waffling that my Logitech G27 did have much better under/over steer ffb. I've just recalled running a BMW GT2 at Mid Ohio and really feeling the back end.

I will get my G27 out of the garage and try that again, it might just be a problem with the fanatec wheel on the PC - i.e. a driver issue.

I don't have your setup Paradox so cannot comment but my csr wheel definitely does not provide ffb regarding grip through vibration motors, its done through the main motor. Basic effect of going stiff as you steer and going extremely light when you over or under steer and stiff again when the tires grip once more.

My key issue is that I cannot get any of my PC titles to give me that same sensation. Yes Race 07 does do it but nowhere near as much. I have even tuned the steering force plr file parameters. Cannot remember off hand what they were but essentially there are two settings which determine how much mass transfer or front tire grip effects force feedback response.

I've just realised whilst waffling that my Logitech G27 did have much better under/over steer ffb. I've just recalled running a BMW GT2 at Mid Ohio and really feeling the back end.

I will get my G27 out of the garage and try that again, it might just be a problem with the fanatec wheel on the PC - i.e. a driver issue.

Interesting. If I turn Vibration OFF in Forza 4, I get no feeling of losing grip whatsoever. Only a center spring force effect. Perhaps the CSR wheels do a better job than the 911 TS did.

PC sims should definately give you more, and better FFB. Make sure you try the latest firmware/drivers for your wheel. Sometimes it can take a few tries to get the firmware loaded onto the wheel. Just remember you can always go back to a previous firmware and driver if you dont like the results.

I have raced the Forza series since the first game and recently got in to sim racing with my CSR wheel in iRacing. Console racing games are made a lot more "arcadish" and it is much much easier to keep the car on track compared to a simulator you have to have much better reactions and precision when catching a car sliding! My tip is to put all the setting on the wheel to stock with full FFB etc. Then change the settings on FFB in game to not loose any details in FFB. You then feel much more what is going on with the car, which direction it is pulling etc.