Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2012 Strange FFB

18 posts in this topic

Hello Inside Sim! :)

Anyone tried F1 2012 yet?

I don't know what's wrong with the FFB in that game. When you're in the pit, or when you turn FFB off while driving, you feel a strong steering lock, which is great; feels like a F1 car. Unfortunately driving without FFB just feels weird.

When I turn FFB on while driving like I'm supposed to, the steering lock is gone. As I turned close to where the steering lock is supposed to be, the FFB lightens (feels loose) for about 5 degrees, and becomes hard again, allowing me to turn the wheel further. It's a "click" in resistance if you know what I mean. This makes driving very unmanageable and just feels weird. To the point where I can't enjoy it. :cry: If I keep turning past the steering lock positions, the wheel allows me to turn but it doesn't seem like the car is turning more, or it does some speed variable stuff that I don't understand. Just plain weird.

At first I thought my T500RS is broken, but it still works perfectly fine. After some research on the net it seems other players are having the same problem using different wheels. Must be the game setting.

I'm playing on the PS3. The game was just launched yesterday so I'm sure we'll see more reports of it a little while later.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Howi

SRTA

I was thinking, perhaps due to hardware limitations, it's impossible to implement a strong steering lock while having good driving FFB at the same time? This would apply to all wheels on the market, not just the Thrustmaster T500RS.

Just a thought....

Howi

SRTA

I'm having the same problem problem with my fanatec GT3RS. I suppose it is a game issue but i managed to solve it partly by raising ingame linearity to 20~25%. Still trying to find the settings that suit me but haven't yet.

this is what I've found always happens with games that use 270 degree of rotation. Your wheel is 900 + but it's only being used over the 270 range. The slack and resistance you feel is just to give you an idication that it's at the games limits as F1's don't use 900 degree of rotation. This is normal for all games I had a g25 and it's always been like this as there's no way to lock it at a lower rotation

Hey guys,

I'm actually glad to see a lot of strangeness across the board, because if there is, it's likely to get fixed.

My experience with this kind of stuff in general is fairly limited, however I'm very experienced with road cars and can only really communicate in terms of how things feel. I'm not as technically literate as I would like to be.

I've only had experience with F1 2010, for Xbox, with my Xbox Wireless Wheel and after trying the 2012 demo, on default settings, and getting into about 4th gear in the Williams, I wiggled the wheel, as you do to get a feel for the car, and I immediately lost the back end, tried to correct and snapped around the full opposite way. After I changed my underwear, I decided the settings needed a tweak or two.

I eventually got the settings dialled into a place where it felt good and made it enjoyable enough, but I could still tell something was off. I had also tried my F1 2010 settings, just as uncontrollable, in the opposite way.

So I buy the game yesterday, immediately get into the advanced wheel settings and plugin the settings I used in the demo. Totally different results... Reverted to the defaults, terrible but not as bad as the demo... Toying around for a while has got me to a place where the car is drivable, but far from where I'd like it to be, or could find in any way enjoyable.

Essentially, is my salvation in an eventual update, or has the game changed so drastically since 2010, that it would feel completely foreign to me?

Thank you everyone for your input!

I gave it a few more hours today, and Brendan is absolutely right, it's just the way the steering lock works. Even with the T500 RS (one of the strongest FFB on the market), I can easily break the steering lock. It's just my lack of experience with formula type games.

Now that I understand it, I still can't get used to it. Why is there a "click" there? this makes it really difficult to come out of a full lock, hairpin, 2nd gear turn! With all assists off, coming out of such turns is hard enough as is and requires full concentration to get the best exit speed, and it doesnt help that the wheel is clicking! I dont mean an audible sound click, it's a click in resistance. It's driving me nuts!

I wish threre is a way to disable steering lock!

Now, the steering itself is another story. It feels weeeeeird! Not linear at all! I tried to adjust the settings but I just cant seem to find a way to get it right. Again, I feel the problem the most in hairpins. When I enter hairpins, it just won't turn. Now I know a lot of guys online are complaining about the massive understeer, but I disagree.

Understeering is when a vehicle is at or has gone past its limit of traction while carrying enough forward momentum that when the steering wheel is turned, nothing (or not much) happens. This does not feel like the case here. When I enter a hairpin, with sufficient and early braking, essentially coasting into a turn, it just won't turn. Then half way through the turn when the coasting speed has dropped enough, it starts to turn more aggressively, as if the minimum turning radius just reduced.

Now I've never driving a modern F1 car (or any lol...) so many this is they way they handle in real life. Just feels very weird to me....

Do you guys feel the same way?

Oh, and I'm playing on the full game, not the demo.

Howi

I'm having the same problem problem with my fanatec GT3RS. I suppose it is a game issue but i managed to solve it partly by raising ingame linearity to 20~25%. Still trying to find the settings that suit me but haven't yet.

I think the OP was referring to the Thrustmaster T500 if I am correct. :)

I thought this was a good place to post any issues and start to gather information.

Seeing as we have some across the board "strangeness" with a T500, a Fanatec and my old Xbox wheel, in addition to being cross platform, seems to point toward a broader issue within the game.

If that's the case, I'm sure they'll patch it early enough, gotta love being an early adopter. :)

I think the OP was referring to the Thrustmaster T500 if I am correct. :)

Yes thank you, I'm using the Thrustmaster T500.

I thought this was a good place to post any issues and start to gather information.

Seeing as we have some across the board "strangeness" with a T500, a Fanatec and my old Xbox wheel, in addition to being cross platform, seems to point toward a broader issue within the game.

If that's the case, I'm sure they'll patch it early enough, gotta love being an early adopter.

You're right, it does seem like everyone is having similar problems regardless of the console/PC, or which type of wheel. I sure hope they'd release a patch eventually....

Hi all,

Here are my settings on the demo (the game only comes out on the 21st in France).

I find they work very well for me so let me know what you think.

Thrustmaster profiler:

Total forces 55

Constant 60

Periodic 45

Spring 0

Damper 10

Center spring via game

In-game:

Advanced wheel settings

Steering deadzone – 0%

Steering Saturation – 5%

Steering Linearity – 5%

Throttle deadzone – 5%

Throttle saturation - 0%

Brake deadzone – 5%

Brake saturation – 0% (I actually put 15 here when I use my CSP's)

Force feedback options:

Environmental effects – 20% -30%

Feedback strength – 80%- 90%

Wheel weight – 10%

I have the F1 rim attached on my t500 and I find these settings pretty good the ffb is subtle not to strong and the precision is good. I'm doing low 1.25's to high 1.24's on Monza with the Williams in the demo

Understeering is when a vehicle is at or has gone past its limit of traction while carrying enough forward momentum that when the steering wheel is turned, nothing (or not much) happens. This does not feel like the case here. When I enter a hairpin, with sufficient and early braking, essentially coasting into a turn, it just won't turn. Then half way through the turn when the coasting speed has dropped enough, it starts to turn more aggressively, as if the minimum turning radius just reduced.

This is incorrect, understeer occurs when the front tires have less traction than the rear, and while the car may still turn, it feels as though the car is pushing/pulling wide and will not turn as much as you expect given the steering input. If all tires exceed the level of available grip in a turn, a car begins to skid.

Understeer can occur during different stages of a turn; on turn in, the middle of a turn, or on turn exit, and the stage of a turn that the understeer occurs, can be used to aid setup adjustment.

If you are racing, there are a couple of methods to recover from understeer but commonly the driver reduces steering input slightly, while also reducing throttle to transfer more weight forward over the front tires, alternatively and less common depending on the type of drive, a quick dab of the breaks may be used to shift weight balance forward to help the car turn (commonly used in rallying).

The full explanation is a little more complex, and involves a discussion on tire slip angles which is a little more detail than I feel is needed here.

Have you guys try in the settings to override input device, and put in wheel mode?

Shaun said on the show that with this settings it feels better.

Thanks Hexcaliber.

Have you guys try in the settings to override input device, and put in wheel mode?

Shaun said on the show that with this settings it feels better.

No, I never noticed this option. Where is it in?

I will try to do this tonight and report back! Thanks for the suggestion!

Howi

Thanks Hexcaliber.

No, I never noticed this option. Where is it in?

I will try to do this tonight and report back! Thanks for the suggestion!

Howi

Take a look in the last show

Minute 5:10

I don't have that option.... Not sure if that's PC or Console but I'm playing on a PS3....

BUT! I just logged on now and there is a new game update. The steering seems to be much better now!!

I'll give it a bit more seat time and report back!

Howi