Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2012 - No GP Season Mode

12 posts in this topic

Hi There, kind of new to the forum, Im a Racer fan, not Totally Hard core, but really love when there is realism in racing games, Like Colin Mcrae rally 04, Dirt 1, grand prix series, Nascar Racing, and others...

Oh well. just wanted to point this out about F1 2012:

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/f1_20 ... firms.html

And two threads that have been created in the Codemasters forums about the subject:

http://community.codemasters.com/t5/F1- ... 342#U49342

http://community.codemasters.com/t5/F1- ... 608#U62608

So if anyone is lost with this, Ill explain:

F1 2010 and F1 2011 let you play a season in two modes:

a) Career Mode: You create a Driver, with your Name, Nationality, and choose one of the 3 or 4 lower teams, and do a season on one of those teams, you do interviews, R&D and after a year, if you are good, you get to pick one of the higher teams for the next season, always as your created driver.

B)Grand Prix Mode: You select one of the real official drivers from that season, from one of the existing teams of that season, and race the complete season if you like, with all the races, in the order you like, and simulate/recreate/play if you will, the 2010/2011 season...

Grand Prix mode has been available on F1 games since more than 15 years, Career mode is kind of new, but is quite interesting, I must say, but they have been options, when they are available.

F1 2012 does not have Grand Prix Mode.

The way I see it, in 2012, if you want to play a full, single season with any team of your choice, you cant. If you want that, You have to choose one of 3 or 4 lower teams, and, ok, judging by as it was in F1 2010 and F1 2011, if you want to pick higher teams for a season, in the career mode, they may be available if you lower the difficulty, but only then. And you cant have a season where all the official drivers are officially involved, with you driving as one of them, of course, but the thing is, you cannot recreate the 2012 season in F1 2012...the only way is racing one race at a time, writing the results on a pen and paper. In the year 2012.

Im stunned.

Just wondering what you guys think about this, especially Darin and Sean, when the game gets to be reviewed.

Ok, So Greetings to all, and hope to keep enjoying virtual racing in any form...

Personally i'm not bothered by not being able to race as one of the offical drivers, but am kinda annoyed that i can't pick what team i want from the get go, i would have liked to pick Red Bull and race alongside of Webber and Vettel.

Codemaster's F1 games have surprised me in several points. They took - IMHO - a strange approach to create this kind of racing game. I can't understand some of the game mechanism.

I have decided for myself to stay away from Codemaster's F1 series.

Codemaster's F1 games have surprised me in several points. They took - IMHO - a strange approach to create this kind of racing game. I can't understand some of the game mechanism.

I have decided for myself to stay away from Codemaster's F1 series.

You are missing out. F1 2011 for PC is one of the best racing games I have ever played. Before I started playing it, I never was interested in F1 racing. I tried F1 2010 for Xbox 360, but that did not work for me, too hard. I got F1 2011 on a whim, and have it working with triple screens and the T500RS F1 rim. Its an amazing game in every way.

You are missing out. F1 2011 for PC is one of the best racing games I have ever played. Before I started playing it, I never was interested in F1 racing. I tried F1 2010 for Xbox 360, but that did not work for me, too hard. I got F1 2011 on a whim, and have it working with triple screens and the T500RS F1 rim. Its an amazing game in every way.

Hmmm, seems that I have different expectations. My first F1 games have been Accolade's "Grand Prix Circuit" and later Microprose's "Formula-One Grand-Prix". In the past I was almost only interested in Formula 1 games (Grand-Prix 2, 3 and 4, ISI's F1 Challenge 99 - 02). For me the whole Sony F1 series on PS2 have been a disappointment (I own them all). I just can't find what I am looking for in Codemaster's F1 series. :)

Hey Darin, oh well, I understand, i guess everyone has their preferred way of playing, but I wanted to point something out about the review, and, with all due respect, I suspect you do not know much about the teams in F1 2012? And again, I do this because of some details I heard in that review, so I´d like to point you to a link to the Real Life F1 2012 Championship as of now, just 2 hours before The Japan GP:

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/seas ... =standings

Here is a page with resumed info about all the teams from this year:

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/team/index.html

And info of the Drivers and their resumed info as well:

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/driver/index.html

So I really do not know if you know this, but Caterham, Marussia and HRT are the Slowest teams this year, With lap times up to 2 seconds slower than the front teams, And Marussia and HRT do not have KERS, dont remember right now if Caterham does, so Id like to recommend something:

Drive the cars you havent driven, Just do 5 Hot Laps, or Short races in them, and feel them, just to see how different they should drive, compared to the cars you have already tested, and the different times you can make with a top team car opposed to a bottom team car, or a mid table team car, and Ive seen there have been 3 patches since the game came out, there may have been some changes, so,well, Ill just suggest it, and you do it if You like, and if you see something interesting come out of this, maybe you could post a video of these comparisons, or write something, whatever you like, so there, its just a suggestion, sorry if I misinterpreted what you have or havent done with the game or what cars you have or have not driven, and I do agree with you, theres something about the F1 series done By Codemasters, that just pulls you in, I saw it in Grid, and I thought: "Wow, I would really like these guys to take the F1 License...!" and they did, so Ive really loved the series, and although there are some details that just plainly frustrate me, I have to admit I love the feeling of driving an F1 car in their games, its just an amazing experience...

Thanks for the info.. Im not a die hard F1 fan though to the point I know the technology in the cars that do nothing on a race weekend (podium or even finish in the points). I've watched almost every race this year here in the states on speed channel and they rarely talk about those teams. They focus on Red Bull, Ferarri McLaren and what Michael Schumacher is doing this week.

I did hear that a team didnt have KERS over this weekend that validated my findings on it.

If I did all the research needed to make the die hard F1 fans feel like Im a true fan, I wouldn't have time to research all the different titles and hardware we review.

Im more sim racer than a racing fan. I appreciate F1, NASCAR, WRC, Grand AM and every racing series on the planet, I just don't have the time, or want to be a die hard fan of any of those series. Im also a baseball, football and hockey fan and know a lot about those sports. I also coach womens volleyball and play myself.

I have Nascar on in the background right now, but do I know who's the favorite today, or who's on the pole? no.. It's a race that I'll have on in the background and probably won't watch the end of.

I watched the F1 race last night but got too tired to watch the end. Vettle was dominating, Massa second and Alonso got taken out by Kimi in Turn 1 on lap one. Points are going to be close now.. Cool stuff..

MLB Baseball playoffs are going on now, so that's where my fan focus will go for the next few weeks. :-)

So all that being said. Take our reviews as sim racers, not racing fans. ;-) I don;'t think knowing whether or not HRT or Marussia has KERS made a difference in our review.

In regards to your test, wish I had time but now it's time to get onto WRC3, Forza Horizon and our first look at rFactor 2.

Thanks for the input though :-)

I didn't see a thread on the ISR F1 2012 review so thought I would comment here after Darin's post that I thought it was a great review as usual from you guys.

I'm wondering about the review though in how you changed the format and didn't officially score it, is that just because of the nature of it being the 3rd yearly release and not much has changed from the previous year or is this a format change for all future game & sim reviews?

I can understand it as far as F1 2012 goes but I hope for major sims releases and major game (GT and Forza series types) that you'll stick with your weighted rating scale where the game/sim warrants it.

Hey Darin, many thanks for the reply, somehow i imagined an answer like that, but just wanted to know what you would say, so, yeah, Ive seen that you do cover so much titles in the simracing genre, that it would be a miracle for you to have the time to do this, just thought it would be interesting for you to take a peek at the info above, and clear up some details...and I´m interested too about the WRC 3 game, looks interesting, and the Possibility of the new Nascar game coming out for the PC, I still do a race once in a while on Nascar Racing 2003 Season, amazing how that title holds up, but anyway, I get the style of the review, and am impressed about your video reviews and your channel, and the time you find to do all that stuff, and have the rigs that you have to try it all, so kudos to you man, and Shaun, impressive thing you´ve got here, Cheers...

Hi There, kind of new to the forum, Im a Racer fan, not Totally Hard core, but really love when there is realism in racing games, Like Colin Mcrae rally 04, Dirt 1, grand prix series, Nascar Racing, and others...

Oh well. just wanted to point this out about F1 2012:

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/f1_20 ... firms.html

And two threads that have been created in the Codemasters forums about the subject:

http://community.codemasters.com/t5/F1- ... 342#U49342

http://community.codemasters.com/t5/F1- ... 608#U62608

So if anyone is lost with this, Ill explain:

F1 2010 and F1 2011 let you play a season in two modes:

a) Career Mode: You create a Driver, with your Name, Nationality, and choose one of the 3 or 4 lower teams, and do a season on one of those teams, you do interviews, R&D and after a year, if you are good, you get to pick one of the higher teams for the next season, always as your created driver.

B)Grand Prix Mode: You select one of the real official drivers from that season, from one of the existing teams of that season, and race the complete season if you like, with all the races, in the order you like, and simulate/recreate/play if you will, the 2010/2011 season...

Grand Prix mode has been available on F1 games since more than 15 years, Career mode is kind of new, but is quite interesting, I must say, but they have been options, when they are available.

F1 2012 does not have Grand Prix Mode.

The way I see it, in 2012, if you want to play a full, single season with any team of your choice, you cant. If you want that, You have to choose one of 3 or 4 lower teams, and, ok, judging by as it was in F1 2010 and F1 2011, if you want to pick higher teams for a season, in the career mode, they may be available if you lower the difficulty, but only then. And you cant have a season where all the official drivers are officially involved, with you driving as one of them, of course, but the thing is, you cannot recreate the 2012 season in F1 2012...the only way is racing one race at a time, writing the results on a pen and paper. In the year 2012.

Im stunned.

Just wondering what you guys think about this, especially Darin and Sean, when the game gets to be reviewed.

Ok, So Greetings to all, and hope to keep enjoying virtual racing in any form...

if you wannt to race as one of the top 3 teams straight off the bat then all you have to do is select a harder difficulty level at the start of the game, if you choose rookie settings then it seems right to me you only get to drive a lower spec car

also when i used to play 10 and 11 if you set up a 5 round gp session by the third race most of the field have either left or started driving like ar#eholes cause they cant win it, i think 12 has been a massive improvement on the previous games but i find it interesting that people have the oposite opinion