Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

System froze during race?

13 posts in this topic

Three times today in iRacing my screen froze and nothing would solve it until I restarted my pc. It happened twice in practice and once in a race. I had to leave the race..of course on the reset..and then get back in for the last lap:). Didn't finish too well haha. I've only been playing about 8 weeks but haven't seen this before.

Anyway any suggestions about what's happening? I asked someone else in the race and they said it was fine for them..so its just me. And I should add I've played other games today-not iRacing.. and similar without a problem, but I did have one instance where I lost my connection to InsideSimRacing forum? odd

And I don't have a router but I do have a cable modem..i have Comcast cable internet..Of course that might be the problem right there..but it hasn't been a problem until today. I did disconnect and reconnect the connection from the PC to the cable modem.. I should also totally unplug the electrics on the cable modem itself..I forgot to do that and I'll do it now. Maybe that will help. But I wondered if it might have something to do with iRacing software itself.

Familiar symptoms to someone?

It sounds like a hardware problem on your side. Nobody else had trouble - so it isn't iRacing. Total freeze - means it isnt the connection, that would dump you out of iRacing. Could theoretcaly be the iRacing software or a driver problem, but nowadays you would then most probably either be dropped to to the windows screen or to a blue screen woth error messages (in the driver case).

So I would suspect a hardware problem on your side. As you can restart and it only happens during iRacing (as fairly CPU ans GPU intensive program) I would suggest first checking your temperatures (CPU and GPU), then the power (PSU temperature and power suplied).

A quick and dirty check is to open your case, check for dust in the fans, and run iRacing with the case open. If you don't crash, or can run significant longer, it is temperature related... For actual temp readings you could use SpeedFan (free, google it) or simular (there are some good posts on the iRacing hardware forum).

SpeedFan can also check on the power supplied.

If it isn't one of those, you might to want to letit check where you bought it. Changes are one of your components is going bad, and you can find that easiest by swapping them around, and running a stress program on them. That is done quickest and easiest when you have a test bench and lots of components laying around.... Unless you like it finding it out for yourself (always good, but it will be a bt of a hassle).

I disagree, ever since the big update and the small ones since I have been experiencing the same thing. So it's not my machine and likely not the OP either, it's iracing. My machine does not crash with anything else, ever!!

Interesting comments..Regarding the Speedfan pro 4.0 or etc.. I've been using that for years..but mostly I just use MSI afterburner and keep watch of the gpu's not the cpu. I've got a big PC box that I just leave open..During hot weather my house is warmish and I even run a big floor fan behind me. I try to keep it dust free and such and its all pretty new stuff. The cpu is a little old I forget i7930 o/c to 3.2ghz if I recall.

Never had the screen freeze like that in any other game.? That I can recall. Play lots of other games with no problem. Wonder if it could just be something like I need to go back in and reset my wheel/pedals etc?

Totally new to iRacing..only been here like 8 weeks or so. Don't know much about such issues.\

But I'll start monitoring the Speedfan window better and check that cpu temp closer.

Could be something on my system. I don't know. like I said the mobo and the cpu are oldish..but I've got a newer 1200watt power supply and two AMD 7970's in Crossfire and that's still working fine. Played a couple hours LeftForDead2 last night.. and many nights with no problem.

If its a problem with my iRacing software, maybe more peeps will comment like smainville.

Thanks for your responses..guys.

Worst comes to worst, try updating the video card drivers, both Nvidia and AMD (ATI) update their drivers frequently, might be a case of corrupted video drivers.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Worst comes to worst, try updating the video card drivers, both Nvidia and AMD (ATI) update their drivers frequently, might be a case of corrupted video drivers.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Ya for sure they do..and as a long time gpu hound I've learned the hard way that updating video drivers causes problems...So I don't do it until I'm pretty sure its necessary.

Is this being caused because I need to update the driver? I don't know how to confirm such a thing. I guess its just trial and error. But I thought I'd see if other people were having this problem and what if anything in common could be observed.

Hoping to hear something from others along this line and how they solved it, but of course maybe its not so common and maybe others have updated their gpu drivers. I'm probably a couple steps behind..I see that I'm using Catalyst 12.6. Don't even know the latest, but I'll look. Also as you can see I'm running to GPU's in crossfire which has been working fine, but they change things "somewhere" all of a sudden and then things a problem..so it could be Crossfire configuration too. Just don't know..such a guessing game. Wish that could be resolved..someday maybe.

Well I did go to AMD and check for the latest driver..maybe someone else can figure it..I don't see the latest 7970driver listed anywhere at AMD..just an option to auto/detect and install. And I don't want that for sure. They have choices for 7500 or 7200 or 7000, but that's it. Nothing but auto dectect and install for a 7970.

I like to download the drivers and save them. Download/installing drivers doesn't work like they tell us...I find the only way to do this is with the following method:

Here's a link to the 13 step method to uninstall/install a amd driver..you need to scroll down a couple comments and you'll see it..its Tuesday Jul17,2012 post:

viewtopic.php?f=152&t=7653

Ive not been accepting the last catalyst update.I updated with it once then tried iracing a few days later and the graphics were screwed right up.I ended up doing a system restore to before the update and the problems ended.There are a few threads in iRacing forum documenting issues with the latest catalyst update though I've not read them.

I just now ran a quick little check..haven't played iRacing since my problems yesterday..

I turned off Crossfire in the Catalyst control suite and then entered iRacing Test and ran a bunch of laps without changing any of my graphic settings..there's a bunch of course..and it ran fine..meaning it didn't freeze up for the 15 minutes I practiced but I saw the quality was at 60fps.

So I exited iRacing and enabled Crossfire in the Catalyst suite and reentered iRacing Test and ran about two laps..or was it one?...and saw much improved quality with 120fps, but the system froze up. haha not good. It was the same crash as I got yesterday..the picture just froze and I had to Reset my PC.

Unless that's some sort of huge coincidence..it must have something to do with Crossfire configuration in iRacing, because i enable Crossfire all the time normally and it works fine all the time--other games and email etc too. So not sure what the problem is. Maybe I changed some sort of Graphic Option and I've caused this. I do recall I've been changing the Graphics in game a bit lately because I've had a problem seeing my turn ins..its as if I wasn't getting enough video quality to see the turn in until I passed it. And I thought maybe I had things on too high a quality or too low etc.

So whatever it seems related to Crossfire being enabled. I'll have to investigate more but that's the root.

I just finished a 30 minute race with Crossfire enabled and no "screen freeze".. The only thing I changed was in my Graphic Options menu and I unchecked V sink. And it went to the 84fps etc where they somehow maintain a certain max/min fps and such. Don't know all the specifics..but the screen looked real good at 84fps and the car drove good in the race..I didn't do so good haha.. But it wasn't the car..the driver!

I can't recall why i went to that Vsink. But i thought it had something to do with my getting less lag. When I first started in iRacing i had so much lag that i could barely drive out of that narrow pit exit at Laguna Seca where it turns left and goes down hill..ya in the pit lane itself. Even at 10mph i could barely keep it on the pavement...monster lag. But somehow I got that to go away..I guess I don't remember how, but I thought it had something to do with enabling V sink..but I guess I'm wrong. Or somehow something has changed in the interim.. No lag now and no more screen freeze. And I hope it stays that way.

Oh btw..in case anyone is interested I did just bump into info on the latest AMD driver number..at least for the 7970 and it might be the same for all.. it doesn't actually say..but for me its the 12.8 driver. As I said earlier I'm still using the 12.6 driver and for all my gaming plus other uses it seems to work fine so far so I'm sticking with it for the moment.