Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Next? Newbie Wants To Race Online

19 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

ISR was instrumental in getting me to try PC sim racing (Race 07/GTR2) for the first time back in November. I honestly didn't know a thing about it, was a console racer since before PS One's original Gran Turismo playing Dirt, F1, GT). Instantly hooked.

I know I will never compete with the 'big boys' but oh well, Momma got start somewhere. :) To be honest I'm a little timid and nervous as I know nothing.

I decided jumping into rf2 at the start might be beneficial for me so I could learn along the way as the development progressed (I have no experience with rf1). I needed to settle down as I was going in too many directions. Meaning, I needed focus. With all the games (race/gtr2/rf2), tracks, cars I couldn't gauge my improvement, hence my focus on rf2.

OK, so obviously a newbie, not pro material (I squeaked out a 1:03.3 in the Megane at Sepang N one day) but I can tell from videos on Youtube I'm not cranking out the laptimes others can.

QUESTIONS:

As I can't compete with the pro's I'm guess I'm not league material??

Where does that leave someone like me? I want to have fun and improve but certainly not piss someone off by running with groups beating me by 4 seconds a lap.

Also, again, never having raced online in any game ...when I go on the server am I allowed to join any of the races that aren't password protected or is that against some sort of etiquette?

The best advice I can give is find a good community you fit in. I was frankly scared to join public sessions when I started racing online years ago, but after doing some searches online, I found a couple groups that had the same mentality as I and were open to beginners. There are a vast number of communities out there these days, and many of them are quite friendly when it comes to new members. One community that is really great is CMS (http://cmsracing.com/champion/forums/content.php). Everyone I've encountered there has been friendly and helpful. If you want to improve your understanding of racing dynamics and improve your skill on the track, they have a free Driver Development Program (http://cmsracing.com/champion/forums/cms-driver-development-program-53/).

A couple simracing friends and I have a casual community at http://www.wheelracers.com/forum/. We are just branching out into the world of PC sims (rFactor1, Race07, and iRacing) and usually have something going every night around 8pm eastern.

I invite you to check these out but feel free to look for more if you dont think either of these is for you.

Thanks for wanting to help MrParadoX.

I checked out CMS and found a Fun Series starting in late August for rfactor 2 but registration is closed so, no luck. :( Bummer. Would have been perfect, no points (can't screw up someone's season) great time zone, rf2 and nissan 370's.

http://cmsracing.com/champion/forums/champion-fun-series-sundays-tuesdays-20/announcing-cms-fun-series-rfactor-2-nissan-370-gt4-series-begins-aug-28th-tues-19840/

Any others out there willing to help a newbie?

Hi Lopsided.

In rFactor2 online play, if the session is not locked, then you can join.

Just because you join a session, doesn't mean you have to race, you can spectate and see how it works, if you feel comfortable, then you can jump on track and give it a shot. The problem with public servers is there are basically no rules, some people drive way beyond their skill level being menaces on the track by running into everyone and everything. Some are quite good and share the track, letting faster drivers by and so on. It's a matter of getting on a server with a decent bunch. Join a server that is in Practice mode, often, the servers will be setup with a long practice session before the actual race. The cool thing about being a spectator, you can learn from watching faster drivers, see what line they are using, how they brake and accelerate out of corners and such. This could give you ideas on things to try in your own driving. :)

Good luck with your adventure into online racing. :)

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Hey Jack, That is exactly what I've been doing. I've watched some online practices and some videos posted on Youtube to get an idea of where my biggest blunders are. I wish people would post the laptime with some of their videos though, give me some idea ....but I'll watch the speed they carry in and out of corners etc.

Hoping to find a community that will accept a newbie so I can play too. :P

Thanks for wanting to help MrParadoX.

I checked out CMS and found a Fun Series starting in late August for rfactor 2 but registration is closed so, no luck. :( Bummer. Would have been perfect, no points (can't screw up someone's season) great time zone, rf2 and nissan 370's.

http://cmsracing.com/champion/forums/champion-fun-series-sundays-tuesdays-20/announcing-cms-fun-series-rfactor-2-nissan-370-gt4-series-begins-aug-28th-tues-19840/

Any others out there willing to help a newbie?

Hi There. I am the league admin for CMS and we would love to have you race with us. I will send you a private message here to get you going with our group. - David Anderson.

iRacing is your best bet in my opinion. With it's iRating and Safety rating in place, once you progress, you will be racing against people similar to yourself. You'll start as a rookie and not upset anyone.. Their all rookies ;-)

rFactor 1 & 2 can have great racing, but only in a league environment. Open servers usually get ugly on those sims.

You should try the Cadillac trial to see if you like it.

I'd have to agree with Darin on the Cadillac trial, 3 months of iRacing for free.

You got nothing to loose this way, race in the Mazda MX5 series (Rookies), it'll give you a great taste of online racing and on Sunday nights Johnny Carr hosts a session for us ISRT people or anyone else that happens by.

But be warned, if you start really liking iRacing and want to progress, then extra content (cars, track) can get expensive. Try the 3 free months, if you don't like it or can't be bothered to spend more money on it, then walk away, it will have cost you nothing for a great experience! :)

Take care

Hey lopsided,

I am also in the process of trying to find a league.

You should checkout http://www.2old2play.com/forums/divisions/2o2race it is a forum for older gamers and this section is for racing. Many of the guys from Gone Broke Racing are on there. I think they are in the process of trying to get something setup for Race 07 over at race2play.

Check out http://www.race2play.com for other leagues.

Good luck and hope to see you on the track soon.

Hi Neverender, Thanks for the info.

I joined David and his crew over at CMS for a no-points, fun race and had a great time. I had no idea what to expect as I had never raced live people or used a server.

To my genuine surprise, I was competitive. And that is not false humility speaking, I simply had no idea what to expect as I have been racing the AI on rFactor 2 and other games.

But ...nervous!?! Oh my gosh. My palms were sweating, I think grandma had "performance anxiety" ha ha.

I really need more opportunities to get over that sillyiness but alas I am still a newbie and a older one at that. :)

A lot of first for me and no way to learn except trial and error ...had never used teamspeak before, don't know the etiquette of talking, but my biggest mistake ...I thought the initial countdown to zero meant go. Wrong. :( So sad, too bad, got penalized for a false start. Never got to show them my "stuff". :lol:

Hi Lopsided.

Etiquette when using chat (team speak, iRacing, any voip program) is to use it as a tool in a certain respect. If you know a racer is much faster than you, you can say "I'll stay right so you can get by", or when exiting the pits " exiting pits" and so on. Depending on the league and the people on the server, too much idle chatter can become a distraction, this doesn't matter much during a practice session or a just messing around session, but often when a more serious race (even though not serious enough to not be fun), too much chatter can become a annoyance. It's a matter of asking the people you race with or the league you race in as to what is or is not acceptable.

I think that's the only thing I really missed about iRacing, was the chat feature, it's kind of nice talking to people before and after a race. :)

I'm happy to hear you took the plunge into online racing, it's a whole new dimension over playing the AI, and please don't let some of the undesirable people ruin your fun if racing on a public server. I'm sure most league servers have strict rules against acting like a jerk on their servers so race on those as much as possible and just have fun and make new friends in the process. :)

Take care

I saw some people typing, others used the teamspeak. I imagine those typing simply didn't have a mic or had not set up teamspeak because i can't imagine how anyone gets all that going at the same time. lol

I think there's a way to preset a button in rFactor 2 for specific words "leaving pits" but I haven't checked yet. That would be handy.

I didn't hear anyone speak early in the race so I didn't know if they used it to communicate in race.

CMSRacing looks great and I'd love to join that community but unfortunately they're not accepting applications from the general public, but if you're already a part of the community you can refer somebody to the admins. Could someone who is a member of CMSRacing please contact one of the mods about inviting me join the forums? I'd really appreciate it, my username is the same on there as it is here, ChwyNiblet.

Ok, I get all the recommendations for iRacing, have heard it several times, but that is not the direction I want to go, hence ...I posted in the rFactor 2 section. :)

Good choice, many people in the general sim racing community agree that the RF2 tyre model is already amazing and the best one out there, stick with RF2 ;) . Ive never played a sim where I can feel the sidewall of the tyre getting overloaded through the FFB, ISI is on another level to the rest at the moment.

Once I tried RFactor 2 I just couldnt go back to anything else. IRacing now feels so dull and lifeless compared to not only RFactor 2's FFB, but the actualy physics/vehicle dynamics themselves.

Theres league racing for RF2 already and pick up races planned on various sites, check race2play, and the official ISI RF2 forum.

Well, I'm happy with it. I realize our settings and equipment must contribute to the overall feel because I have read some complaining. I for one get so much usable feedback that I'm overjoyed with it.

The guys at CMS have been a pleasure to race with, a great way for me to break into online racing. I have a lot to learn and it's a great environment to do it in.

From my personal experience.

rFacotr2 has the best feel.

iRacing has the best race organization.

I tried iRacing a couple of times, but while I love what they did with the whole race organization I just don't feel the car or the corners as I do with rFactor2. But for rFactor2 you have to join a community and is nowhere near as good as iRacing system. Shame there isn't a perfect solution.

Hi,

if you don't feel fast enough for a league or if you are not one of those that can't spend each weekend in simracing, finding a community is the best option. Here is the community where I'm racing rF1 and rF2:

http://www.bockbierbude.de/

They have their servers online 24/7. 7 servers for rF1 and 2 for rF2 atm.

The best thing is, that you get an auto updater, so that every member has the same content and you won't get missmatches on the servers.

There are all kind of racers, the fast ones as well as beginners and all drivers should follow some simple rules. The most important is, when you accidentally crash into another car, say sorry, let him pass and try again.

This makes great racing for anyone without the boundaries of leagues or payment. (Of cours you can donate if you like the service).

This is a german community and main language is german. But english also works fine!

Just have a look!