Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

User review of GTEYE G27 Brake Pedal Mod

6 posts in this topic

I just received my new GTEYE spring the other day and I thought I'd put together a review of how I feel it is performing and whether in my opinion it is worth the price of $29.95.

About me, skip if you just want to read review

But first, a bit about my background. I've been into sim racing since Grand Prix legends and the papyrus nascar games, but I lost interest in it and went and raced go karts and later rally cars for a few years to get my racing fix.

I had to stop rallying after injuring my back in a racing incident (I was the navigator, not the driver on this occasion). This left a big hole in my life.

Last year a friend of mine put me onto rFactor, and I sonn discovered iRacing shortly after.

Since then I've developed my interest sim racing in iRacing, rFactor, Richard Burns Rally and lately Rally Trophy.

I initially started running sim racing using a joystick as I did not want to invest in too much gear if I did not like it. (I previously sold my old wheel and pedal setup in a garage sale).

Soon the iRacing bug took hold and I set forth upgrading my gear after watching the great reviews on isrtv.com (Thanks Darin, Shaun and Jessica).

My first purchase was a G27 and pedals strapped to a desk. Within 2 weeks I got the Thrustmaster THR8 shifter and strapped that to a desk, but I still did not get the feel I wanted.

My next purchase was an RSEAT Evo 3 and finally I started to feel like I was driving a car and not a computer.

For the price, the G27 wheel and pedal set are good, but the feeling of the brake pedal leaves a lot to be desired and I found it very hard to brake consistently without braking up the brakes.

GTEYE Review

Last week, I discovered the GTEYE at the footer of another members message in this forum and decided to look into it.

Basically this upgrade is an enhanced spring that gives more resistance the harder you push the pedal.

The coils at the top of the spring are less compact than the bottom of the spring which gives this gradual pressure build up the harder you push.

I found that I could purchase it off ebay for $29.95 and I jumped at the chance and ordered it that night.

Two day later the gteye spring arrioved on my door step and I went to install it.

Installation

The installation of this mod is quite straight forward, I had to remove the pedal foot plates and the back panel of the foot pedals whch were held in by 14 screws.

I then removed the two screws holding the top of the pedal to the red plastic shock and removed the spring. This was replaced with the new GTEYE spring and then the pedal set was reassembled.

Overall I had the gteye installed within the hour and it was very straight forward.

Initial impression

I initially tested the pedal with my foot and was surprised at how much stiffer the pedal felt. It was a big improvement over the older spring. but I could not be sure until I got it on the virtual track.

iRacing testing

I then went and fired up iRacing, recalibrated the pedals and put in some hotlaps in the skip barber at the summit point raceway. I found that my braking was a lot better and that I could control the brake pressure more easily and reduce brake lockups.

I then put in a qualifying session and found that I could consistently lap at about 1:25's. Not the fastest, but it was consistent.

Overall I've found this mod is giving me more control in the car is giving me a more realistic brake pedal feel and that it has reduced my brake lockups a lot.

Overall Impression

Overall, for the bang for my buck ($29.95), easy installation, and how much it has improved my brake pedal feel, I highly recommend this mod to all G27 users.

I give it a 9 out of 10 on the Insidesimracing REV scale. (Sorry Darin and Shaun, I should have asked if I could borrow your rev scale. I put it back the way it was. :D )

I've had this for a few weeks myself, and I've enjoyed it as well. I chose it over the Nixim mod for precisely the reasons Shaun gave in his Pros: I wanted to keep using socks, and I don't have my pedals hard-mounted.

I had the clicking noise at first, but it went away after a little use. I think it could be the spring hitting the plastic edges as the pedal travels, but I'm not sure. Maybe it breaks in, in a way? However, I still have a very slight "feel" of a click (but no sound) on the return travel.

I am considering getting the Nixim gas pedal spring at some point, though. Has anyone tried that?

To be honest, I did not notice any clicks after install until Shaun pointed it out in his review. I found on mine it is not noticeable unless I get close to pedal.

I have not tried the nixim gas pedal mod. If you get it I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

Hi guys, I'm hoping you'd be able to lend me some direction. I'm awaiting delivery of my GT Eye and wonder if moving the oem spring of the brake over to the clutch to improve clutch feel? I'd imagine that it would be a nice stiff feel.... Has any one done this with the clutch after installing the new GT Eye to the brake assembly? Thx much!

Hi guys, I'm hoping you'd be able to lend me some direction. I'm awaiting delivery of my GT Eye and wonder if moving the oem spring of the brake over to the clutch to improve clutch feel? I'd imagine that it would be a nice stiff feel.... Has any one done this with the clutch after installing the new GT Eye to the brake assembly? Thx much!

Hi There,  I certainly feel the Brake → Clutch swap is a desirable upgrade and I know many users are satisfied with the feel.

You can test what it feels like by pressing the current oem brake pedal with your left foot, that is exactly what you will get from the upgraded clutch pedal.

The oem Clutch → Throttle swap is much more opinionated, and can be too firm for some.

On 23/07/2012 at 7:31 AM, bwiemers said:

To be honest, I did not notice any clicks after install until Shaun pointed it out in his review. I found on mine it is not noticeable unless I get close to pedal.

I have not tried the nixim gas pedal mod. If you get it I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

I didn't notice clicks at first either, but just now I tried and I notice it slightly, and only when I depress the pedal quickly. My guess is that it's just the tight coil at the bottom of the spring compressing quickly, and you're hearing the clashing of the spring as the tight wound part fully compresses.