Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ISR DIY Rig #3 Ricmotech RS-1 Build

30 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Getting all caught up and thought this would be a great place to have our RS1 build. Figured you guys could ask questions here if you plan on building one, or show us pictures of one you built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXw60Wiizw

Review here !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LUVQsOvMB4

Great video and great that you take the time to build different rigs!

Regarding the cracking MDF, as mentioned pre-drilling could work. Just make sure the drill bit is as large as the core of the screw (the center part surrounded by the thread.) MDF has no much "give" or "forgiveness" so the material (MDF) has to go somewhere, which equals cracking unless pre-drilled.

On my wheel stand/rig I used a piece of regular wood were the MDF would join. ( look through my thread viewtopic.php?f=110&t=6933 , a few pictures show the wood joining 2 MDF boards). This allowed me to screw directly into wood rather then MDF.

Great idea to create this thread, Darin. If anyone has any questions regarding options or the build process, I'll chime in on it too. Your build turned out great and the episode was awsome. Everyone makes small mistakes during the build process and I always urge anyone building this rig to reach out to us if they run into any snags along the way.

Also, we are creating some pre-cut vinyl graphics kits specifically for the RS1 and we posted some pictures of some preliminary designs here: http://www.facebook.com/ricmotech#!/media/set/?set=a.492856904062382.127676.217584651589610&type=1

We will be creating some more designs before we decide which ones will go into production. Some will be customizable with your own racing number or team name. If you like these and want to see the rest as they are developed, Like us on Facebook. We will be posting the new designs there as they are created.

Frank

Hey guys,

Great review of the RicmoTech DIY rig. I just finished mine over Memorial Day weekend, saw your reviews and thought I'd post to show my solutions to some of the things you encountered. First thing is I used furniture/cabinet grade plywood instead of MDF for the reasons you mentioned. My supply costs were actually a little less than yours ( probably due to location ).

As for fit, I did not use the supplied pedal mount pieces because they were too far away. Instead I simply mounted my pedals to a piece of wood, had help to locate them, marked the spot and screwed them in place. The wheel deck was also too low for me ( I use a 350mm Momo Tuner road wheel with an adapter kit on a G25 wheel base ), so I raised it a bit and secured it in place. I did use the shifter console, but raised it to a position I liked, cut the top off and put a 1/4" piece of plywood for a mouse pad. Then, to truly make this thing work for me, was the cupholder! Took about half a second off my lap times...No, really!....:) This was all slapped together over 3 days and if I hadn't been in a hurry ( I had races to run ) I would've taken time to make adjustments as I built it. I haven't painted it yet because I know there's more to do that I haven't thought of yet. Here's a few shots of it so far....

P7010013.jpg

P7010010.jpg

P7010011.jpg

I think Darin should try the next build. Once you get your hands on and do it the fear goes away. Just be safe and the worst thing that can happen is you scrap out a few bucks worth of lumber, I've smashed a $10,000 probe in the 5 axis cnc at work so trust me when I say a mis cut is nothing :lol: It happens just have fun.

Oh was that an electric fly swatter I seen about 16 min in the build video? I just pictured you guys running around zapping each other am I far off :shock:

Yeah, 3/4" for the sides, keyboard deck and wheel deck, the floor is actually only 1/2" plywood as called for in the plans... I don't recall how long the plans took to arrive, a few days but less than a week. But then there was a change they made that they informed me of right away, no big deal really....

I may try the plywood too, I like the wooden finish. Did you see any disadvantage over MDF?

Regarding the shipping, I have ordered the plan a week ago and still doesnt receive any confirmation of shipping, only the payment confirmation. I don't have any answer to my email too... I may be a little impatient but I cant wait to build mine, I would like at least to know that it has been shipped!

EDIT: GOT IT! Let's start to build!

Ricmotech.jpg

Hey Guys, I just purchased the plans. Should be coming in the mail on monday ish from what UPS is saying.

I will be adding armrest on each side to make it wider and possibly raising the rig.

I'm still debating whether to use MDF board or purchase good plywood.

I will start take pics and posting updates so often. :mrgreen:

Hopefully it comes out good. I'm very picky like Shaun and everything has to be sanded down to perfection.

Thanks for the motivation to start my own rig!

Really sweet setup dude. I wish I had not used the mfd board, but after watching the video I made sure to predrill all the holes. I then went back and increased the 7/64th" holes one size larger on all my face boards just to be sure it wouldn't crack where it could be seen. The furniture grade plywood is the biggest regret I have...wished I had used it. Overall, the RS-1 design is SO customizable the sky is the limit. Great job!

post-11678-0-32835300-1355567956_thumb.j

New to sim racing and love the look of this set up. Sadly buy the time i buy the plans and get them posted to Australia it all most doubles the price , even with or dollar worth more than yours at the moment. I'll keep dreaming.

I got my RS-1 all built and stained. I used birch 3/4 inch plywood instead of mdf. Came out so much nicer. I have a 42" 1080p tv, a laptop for pc sims and an Xbox for Forza 4. A buttkicker mini concert and turtle beach x42 headphones give me feedback. The seat is from a Honda passport. Very comfy.post-11741-0-27636400-1363559863_thumb.j

Just double click in the "Reply to this topic"  box and the formatting tool bars will appear.  There is an icon on the 2nd row in the middle that lets you insert a link to your picture if you have it stored in the cloud with some photo service or something.  

3 days and 10 sheets of graph paper later....

I finally have a plan, measurements and a free Saturday to start!

(At least I can turn some laps until the weekend..lol)

Update: 11 May

Finally got this thing put together but I have to give credit where credit is due. Its based off the design of the Ricmotech with a few additions of my own to house the desktop and radiator (for the watercooling). Here's a shot of what I was playing on before DIY sim rig.

post-13663-0-00165400-1368313698_thumb.j

Its an old office desk I acquired when "work" got new furniture. The wheel is hard mounted to a 3/4in board with a few holes drilled in it. The board rests on 2 mini-shelves that slide out from the desk and was secured with C Clamps. The pedals were secured underneath with 2 wood screws holding it to the floor. It wasn't too bad as a temporary solution but not the most comfortable.

Here's the new sim-rig:

post-13663-0-13288300-1368314104_thumb.j

post-13663-0-56316900-1368314259_thumb.j

post-13663-0-01069700-1368314277_thumb.j

post-13663-0-10949800-1368314325_thumb.j

All told I spent $165 for wood and hardware. $27 for the seat at the local Pick-a-part. Another $90 on paint...a bit more expensive than I wanted but better than leaving it unfinished. Grand Total: $282 and about 10 days of free time. Its not completely done yet (the cup holders still need paint).

**I ended up purchasing alot more hex bolts, nuts, washers than I needed. This would have saved a few bucks if I had measured the seat correctly. Getting the seat mounted was the most time intensive as the seat brackets were not square so it took quite a bit of tweaking to get the seat where I wanted it on the rig.

I'm pretty happy with it. It saves quite a bit of space in my room and free's up my desk for other things. I've got to say Thanks to the guys for posting the video, Ricmotech for the design, and everyone who inspired me to build my own rig (shout out to Axly and his DIY project). See you on the track!

I'm really looking at various rigs, but this seems like it would be a better option (cheaper too).

Where are you guys getting the car seats?  Junk yards?  I can't seem to find a seat for less than about $150, but haven't checked the junkyards. 

I'm really looking at various rigs, but this seems like it would be a better option (cheaper too).

Where are you guys getting the car seats?  Junk yards?  I can't seem to find a seat for less than about $150, but haven't checked the junkyards. 

I was going to go to a junk yard for my seat but then I managed to get a great deal on a Cobra Monaco via ebay.  Have a look.  I set up a saved search with my criteria "bucket racing seat" within 100 miles and watched things as they came up for the last 6 months.  A couple of weeks ago I managed to get one for £45.  Ebay is great if you aren't in a rush and can wait for a good deal to pop up.

Hi all,

Almost finished with my RS1, will post pics.  I am waiting for the plans to go forward with the RS3.  They will be here tomorrow.  Looking forward to some input on which monitors the forum might recommend.  So many to choose from.  Looking to go with either 24" or 27".  Any insight??

Thanks,

Steve

Will post pics in a few of completion so far........