Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I too slow?

9 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone. I'm new to F1 2011. I used a Logitech MOMO wheel, went into Grand Prix mode(fuel simulation off), chose Red Bull car, circuit Spa, turn on ABS and Track Control, turn off Breaking Assist and Dynamic racing line and an automatic gear. I had no idea how to modify the car settings, so I used the default settings. My best lap time was between 1min43s to 1min44s. Was it too slow? How can I continue to improve? Thank you.

While you're in the garage, you can attach quick setups to the car. Usually the one with the least downforce is the quickest, but not always. Once you become familiar with the game, you can go to the Race Department website, look up F1 2011, and there should be setups there. However, using the setups supplied in the game should be good enough. In the beginning, use the assists until you start easily beating the AI cars, and then start turning them off.

You can always stretch out the gears for one. Until you get really good and comfortable as a sim racer, I don't think it's a bad thing to leave the TC on.

I ran with the guys at Race World Series, and we had all the assists off, and I had no problem with the back end coming around on me, unless I hit a curb or something. Just takes practice, and yes, a certain amount of talent. That's why not everyone can run without assists.

Another thing is that you are using a Momo wheel, and so you are behind on technology about 10 years. Upgrading to some better pedals and a wheel with better FFB will help too. The newer wheels and pedals have greater fidelity and provide more control, and more feedback on what the car is doing. I owned a Momo wheel, and since have owned a G25, Fanatec TurboS, and now a Fanatec GT3v2, and I can tell you with each new wheel I can feel more of the car.

@kimiferraren~First off,as you said~you are new to "F1 2011" so do not get too down on yourself my friend,F1 Racing in general is a fine art,it's pretty much like a guitar,anyone can pick it up and start playing..But to get good at it takes time..."time" and LOTS of practice,and then more practice,and as "Rocket75" pointed out, you are using a "MOMO",which in it's day was a fine wheel,and even now is ok for someone looking to make the jump to "SIM" racing and sure as hell beats a standard controller by a mile..and if you are the type of racer who just likes to run a race here and there,and plays a few hours at night and do a little racing on the weekends,the "MOMO" may meet your needs just fine..however if you are starting to really get the "SIM" bug bad,you should think about upgrading your equipment,mostly your wheel & pedals,now I am not saying you should go out and drop a thousand bucks+ on a T500 & decent rig,but upgrading to a new,more modern wheel & pedal kit will most certainly enhance you "SIM" racing experience,and not leave you 10+ years behind the pack on technology alone by using such an outdated wheel,I started out with a "MOMO",then went to a "DFP",then a "DFGT" and now run a slightly Modified "G27",and can tell you from experience that a decent modern wheel most certainly makes a big difference when it comes to such a technical racer like "F1 2011" ..using a "MOMO" is honestly Handicapping you from the "get go" my friend,I used to recommend the Logitech "DFGT" to guys looking to update/upgrade from their older "MOMO's" or "DFP'S" on a tight budget,...But that was when the "G27" was $300.00 or more,however now one can pick up a brand new "G27" for a tad over 200 bucks,[pretty much what the "DFGT" was going for a year or 2 ago @ logitechs web site~$199.95] & while the "DFGT" is a very good wheel indeed,the cheesy pedals are it's downfall,if you want to update/upgrade to a modern wheel & VERY good pedal kit,then it's hard to beat the Logitech "G27" dollar for dollar~Just my 2 cents worth man,I hope this helps a little,stick with it & GR8 Racing everybody;)