Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cannot Get Triple Screen Working

19 posts in this topic

3 of the same x-boxes (Shiny 250Gigs)

3 of the same versions of Forza 4 (or so I think)

Center and Right have updated title files and multiscreen setup files in the saved game data.

Left Console will not download an update and will not generate the multiscreen file. I can only assume this is why it sits there say "connecting" and will never connect.

I have tried reloading it and it still never downloads an update or anything to the game. One copy of the game I bought new and the other two I bought used. Is it possibly they changed the game on one copy even the the package and discs are identical? Even the part numbers on the disc labels are the same.

I wasted the whole day trying to get this junk to work.. and it still does not.

Not sure what else to try. How can I tell if there is a difference in the discs? Visually they are identical. If they made something different and this is why it will not work, then that is rediculous.

Got any ideas?

delete everything forza related on the left and right screen xboxes

use the same disc you use from the center (main console with your savegame and stuff) to install the game on the "left and right" xbox-> disc 2 installation

when done manually install disc 1 to each HDD

then fire up the 3 boxes and make all the updates that xboxlive offers you

all xboxes must have same forza update and same dashboard ... otherwise it can be complicated

connection only works when center console is on titlescreen , just after loading your savegame

if you missing DLC on the "side xboxes" it will be replaced with a dummy car, so this should be no problem

btw , all consoles are connected via a switch i guess... right ?

anyway it is essential that all 3 boxes have same dashboard and same forza update ( not DLC !)

when starting the game and you are logged into xboxlive the update should be offered to you automatically

Yes I have them hooked to a brand new ASUS Gigabit switch.

I think that I have 2 different printings of the discs. I took my disc 1 from the center console and threw it in the left console and it immediatly started to download an update. The discs I installed from originally on that console do not require or get an update, and work fine online etc.

I believe I have two different printings of the discs even though they are just regular version. The tiney part number on the lower left rear on the back of the case is different. Also the bottom number on the spline of the case is different. I am going to take one back to best buy and see if I can get them to swap it for one that has the same part numbers if they have one. This is really dumb. The discs labels are all identical with all the exact same part numbers. This is rediculous because I am sure I mixed the discs up. I put the discs that were not working in the case with the different part number and hope that is the way I got them. So, I hope that by finding a case with matching numbers they will all be the same discs.

If that does not work, I might have to buy 3 brand new ones from the same store and check every little number on the package to make sure they are the same. This is a big waste of money, but I am tired of wasting my time. It is rediculous that the discs themselves are exactly the same in every way with no way to differentiate them. The only difference that can be found is on the case and it is just the small print of the part number.

This game is a joke so far for triple screens. I have been trying to get it to work for 3 days and now I have found the problems that no one at microsoft seems to know about. I just got off the phone on a 106 minute call and the solution is keep returning the one game I now have that does not work until I get one that does.

There are different burns of the same version of the game being sold. Some require an update and some do not. The ones that require an update to play will not talk to the ones that do not no matter what you try. I have bought 5 games so far. I even bought two games right off the shelf at best buy tonight and got two different burns.

I did figure out a basic way to identify them that so far that has been accurate for five games. Unfortunatly I have not ended up with 3 discs that match at the same time yet. I had the guy open the two new games at the store and of course they were different. I said it was not going to work, but he was not going to return one right after I bought it and he opening it, so I had to take it home and see what I already knew was going to happen.

If you look at the bottom of the disc around the center hole, you will see "MADE IN PUERTO RICO". It is hard to read because it is in the material of the disc. You have to get the light anged right. The ones that say this seam to be the newest version. When you install them, they work with no update download required. They work online as well.

The ones that do not have 'MADE IN PUERTO RICO" Burned into the inner ring do require a title update immediatly to play them. I bought used games and new games and these different versions are mixed in both.

Is it possible two different factories are churning out different versions!!! Or, are they just mixed because a transition is occuring??? Who knows, I will spend tommorow night going from Best Buy to Best Buy returning games until I find a 3rd that matches. With any luck it will be the first try. The good thing is tha it is a brand new game and I can just say it is defective. It has bad coding burned on it and incompatible. That makes it defective and the guy at Microsoft agreed. I may just try to make them open every copy until we find a good one, but I doubt they are going to do that.

Now what I have to do is return the one game (that requires an update to play) to best buy as defective and pray the next one says "MADE IN PUERTO RICO" on the inside ring. I basically have to keep doing this until I can find another disc that is the same. REDICULOUS! Even 106 minutes on the phone with Microsoft and this is the conclusion they came to.

The bad thing is that I cannot even recommend avoiding this by buying brand new games because I did this and got two different versions right off of Best Buys shelves!

Needless to say this has me very aggravated. I thought there was only an issue with games that actually were different version (Ultimate Edition etc.), but it can happen even buying the exact same SKU and part number

wow !

this is interesting although i don't get it

even if there where 2 different burns , of course there are, always , not all discs are made in one factory, the software on the disc should be the same... which is obviously not the case..

never heard of it.

I bought 3 discs of amazon the day the game hit the stores and it worked right out of the box like forza 3

sorry man !

hope you find 3 matching games.

is it not possible to start the game with both discs ?

i mean install with disc "burn" A and then switch to disc "burn" B and start forza ?

Hi Jevs

I've experienced the exact same issue with Forza3 when I purchased a couple of copies off ebay

which were different release versions. As mentioned previously it is important to run the

same version of Forza on each console otherwise the side screens will not connect. I had

a silver/live account on my center console and local accounts on my side screen consoles.

I think from memory it would only ever update the side console dashboards and forza when

I started the process of trying to join xbox live then it would force an update of the dashboard

as well as forza thus keeping the versions all in sync. Hope that helps.

Cheers

The problem moves with the discs to whatever console they are in. I can wipe all the saved data from all the consoles and clear the cache, then stick the disc in that needs an update into any of them. It immediatly say I need to download the update before I can use the game. I can do the same with the other two discs and they just work with no updates. The two discs that work can be moved to any console and they will talk fine either as host or client. Xbox live sign in does not affect anything as far as I can tell. I can turn on just one console and log in and load the discs and they act the same. You can't move a working disc around either to fool it into working. It would not be so bad if you could identify the disc by looking at the outside of the case, but you cannot. I will report back as soon as I can find a matching game to the two I have that need no update to run.

It is possible that a new title update that supercedes all these discs may correct the problem, but as of now two of my copies need no updates. In other words if they come out with a new update that all 3 sets need, then maybe it would make them start talking, but who knows. At this point I believe matching discs with the exact burn from the same place is the only thing thats going to work. Old versions could be more compatible since they all need an update.

maybe i din't get it right ... but what if :

install all 3 consoles with the same pair of discs: first install disc 2 like the game tells you to do,quit the game and then manually install disc 1 to HDD.

start again do all the updates.

now when you insert the other disc 1 (which is not able to connect) does it load the game of the disc or from HDD ?

normally if you install a game the console only checks if original gamedisc is present an then fully loads everything from HDD.

i guess in your case the game is then started from disc and not from hdd

did you check this ?

I did try swapping the start up disc after the original discs were fully installed to the hard drive. It immediatly looks at the disc that is in the Xbox on bootup rather than the HDD file and applies the update if it is a disc that needs the update. Everything reverts once you move the discs back.

Even if you could somehow fool it into getting all 3 to work together one time (Which I don't think will work), I am not going to play games with swapping discs all over the place every time I boot up to get it to work. Like I said though, I do not believe it will work.

The only solution in my mind is to find one more matching game so it will work as it is supposed to. I am heading off to Best Buy after work today to exchange the new game I bought last night as defective. It will be like playing the lottery if I get one that matches my other two games. If I open it and it is not a matching one, I guess I will try to return it again and again until I get one. This could be a long process when there is no way to know. I am sure they will eventually stop returning them if I can't get a match, but there is nothing else I can do. Even Microsoft told me this is what I am going to have to do. It is rediculous. If I knew what I know now, I would have went to a gamestop or something or try to find some place that has access to open their used games for sale and just sort through them until I find the ones I need. Unfortunatly I am locked into Best Buy now because I bought new games to try and figure this out. I thought buying a brand new current game off the shelf would show me what discs to be looking for. Once I did this I got the "MADE IN PUERTO RICO" version on my first new purchase, so I kept the other one I had that said this and then traded in my other game (lost money) to buy another new one thinking it would be the same as the one I just bought 5 minutes prior. Then I got screwed and the other new one did not match! Basically, I am being tortured dealing with this and it is not my fault and of course the dumb stores think you are trying to scam them or something and treat you funny.

PROBLEMS SOLVED!

All of my research and what I figured out were correct. There are two burns out there and they don't work with each other but work fine seperatly or all the same burn together. As a backup plan to dealing with best buy I decided to call the Gamestop across the street from Best Buy in case I could not get anywhere with Best Buy. I explained the problem I was having. They immediatly offered to check their discs while I was on the phone. She looked at a used one and it did not say "MADE IN PUERTO RICO" on the bottom. Since I guess they keep an empty box on display with the discs locked away, she said she could open a new one and check it. Sure enough she opened one and confirmed it said "MADE IN PUERTO RICO". To my surprise she offered to take my discs back that I bought from best buy and exchange it for the one I needed. I even stressed that I did not buy it there and she said it was no problem!

So I went straight to Game Stop and skipped Best Buy altogether. She swapped me discs and when I got home everything worked perfect on the first try!

This confirms that the "MADE IN PUERTO RICO" burned into inner ring on the bottom are all compatible and also require absolutly no updates to run (at this time).

I HAD TRIPLE SCREENS WORKING PERFECT IN A MATTER OF MINUTES!

I hope this helps anyone that may run into this in the future!

Now I just have to wait for my Fanatec wheel that is still on backorder :( I also have to finish wiring up the audio.

Also I just loaded up everthing as quick as I could and had my same xbox live popping in and out of connection between the 3 consoles I was installing. It made no difference they worked regardless of how they were signed into xbox live etc. in case anyone was wondering if you need to create multiple xbox live accounts or anything. You do not need to make multiple accounts.

congrats !

welcome to forza 4 triple screen and all the upcomming problems :mrgreen:

no no , it's not that bad :lol:

cool that there are people who want to help and that you finally got 3 identical discs

once more : shame on you M$

if you want you can add me to battle for best tracktimes -> testdriver69

cheers !!

Wow such a nice setup! I'm super jealous lol Im just getting back into "sim racing"... many years ago I had the Logitech wingman formula force (the pre-usb model). Wheels sure have come a long way lol. Anyhow I'm starting with forza 4 to get back into the scene, I am buying a csr soon and I cant wait lol.

I would love to do the triple screen on forza but I cant justify the price rather than building a proper PC rig. but I give credit where it is due and you sir deserve it.

The nice thing about my setup is that all I have to do is connect a computer and go. I set this up so I can do PC as well. I can have a computer connected and the xboxes and all I have to do is change the input selection on the TV's and the Logitech system to switch between them (and whatever the wheel/pedals take - not sure since I do not have it).

I already have a computer in the room for this purpose later.

My Computer:

http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=19945

They were the best available for the Quad SLI when I built it. I built this awhile back. Not sure how it will work if I use it for triple screen. My 30" is the really high resolution one. I chose this over multi-screens at that time. I have another decent computer as well I could use. For now Forza 4 is all I will be messing with though.

I want to say a BIG "thank you" for this thread.

I am currently having the exact issues with my new triple screen setup on Forza 4.  Once I read about this MADE IN PUERTO RICO possibility, I checked my discs.

The one not working had it!!  

The search for a "clean" disc is underway, and I will update my progress.

Thank you again jevs for your explanation throughout your ordeal.