Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Circuit of The Americas F1 2012 First Looks

7 posts in this topic

We had the pleasure of having the Codemasters guys come by the studio. We hung out and talked simracing in general as well as talked about F1 2012 for several hours. We all got to do some driving of the sim in its "work in progress" level. I can tell you it was enough to blow me away and leave me wanting to do much more driving. It was a limited version of the game but it did include the new Austin Texas track, The Circuit of the Americas. That means that we are some of the first people to drive this new Formula One circuit, well at least virtually. Stephen Hood is the Chief Game Designer and we recorded some footage of him driving F1 2012.

The first video is 3 laps from the drivers view ans while watching keep your eyes on the look out for certain features: He uses KERS and DRS during the lap and you can see the drivers hands operate the buttons of the wheel. You also see the lights come on the wheel letting you know that it is on or working. He also makes some brake bias adjustments during the lap, you can see the driver again operating the in car controls as well as a HUD pops up on the left side of the screen. Beyond the overwhelming graphics and much enhanced sounds keep your eyes on the wheel lock up that happens under braking.

The 2nd video is very similar in all respects but it includes a picture in picture view of Stephen driving for 2 laps.

The 3rd video is a picture in picture video with the replay cameras being the main window. It shows off all of the great scenery and car modeling.

The 4th video features both Darin and Shauns very first laps ever at Circuit of the Americas. This allows us to see how the game performs while going off track and cutting corners. It also shows the debris building up on tires and how long it takes to wear off. We then fast forward to lap 3 for each driver, you can see how much is learned and yet how far we still are.

It all happens first at Inside SimRacing!

Brake bias adjustments on the fly? I've only seen Michael Schumacher do this

on the tv coverage of the sport. This seems very technical and how would you

gain enough understanding to use it to your advantage? Would the brake bias

effect different cars' physics in the game, who knows. I got the grip and speed

boost thing with DRS and Kerrs, but brake bias adjustments is on another level,

several levels higher than my racing requirement.

I'm sad guessing you didn't see my question and yet hopeful you might have asked

about triple screen on consoles, particularly xbox. Did you, please, please, please?!! :mrgreen:

Hi Shaun, It looks like F1 2012 is coming together very nicely. I realise you cannot fully comment on the handling etc but I do hope the feel of the car is more alive and communicative with the wheel than has been the case with 2010 and 2011. I was wondering if this was your experience? I have high expectations for F1 2012 and cannot wait for it to be released. Thanks so much for the new video's and information. You guys do a brilliant job.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Shaun, It looks like F1 2012 is coming together very nicely. I realise you cannot fully comment on the handling etc but I do hope the feel of the car is more alive and communicative with the wheel than has been the case with 2010 and 2011. I was wondering if this was your experience? I have high expectations for F1 2012 and cannot wait for it to be released. Thanks so much for the new video's and information. You guys do a brilliant job.

Regards,

Paul

We'll be coming out with a video in the next few days about it with an interview as well with the devs. I liked the handling and think it will be a step up in regards to feel. It will definitely be closer to the PC sims.. Will it ever be that hardcore? No.. They need to appeal more to a broader audience / gamepad players than wheel owners. The devs would love it to be, but.. It wouldn't sell enough to make FIA happy enough to grant them the license in the future.

Im personally looking forward to it ! Will it replace iRacing for me on a hardcore level.. no

I more or less have the once bitten, twice shy feeling towards this title. It looks good, but it looked good last year until you loaded it on the PS3.

Two years in a row (2010, 2011) it was patched once MONTHS after release and then forget about it. If you guys talk to the Devs again, I hope you ask some of these questions to them.

I mean, what company has everyone go on vacation right after release? CM

What company releases only one patch that doesn't address major problems? CM

What company bans people from their forums for posting true to fact but negative comments? CM