Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Dirt 2 V/S Dirt 3"

16 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,I have been racing a lot of "Dirt 3" off and on since it came out[PS3 Ver/DFGT & G27] & really think it's a kick ass title,anyway I had not raced "DIRT 2" in awhile & forgot just how awesome it actually is,and noticed right off the bat that the cars in "DIRT 2" Handle better,the tracks are better,the menus are better,and the over all game itself is better all the way around,of course this is just my personal opinion ,and I have no doubt that I am in the Minority here & also want to make it clear I am in no way bashing "DIRT 3",as i said it's a kick ass title & I enjoy it a gr8 deal,But still think "DIRT 2" is the best off road/rally racer out there[at least for the PS3]

PS~on a side note,I still have never played the original "DIRT" & for some odd reason always forget to finally pick up a copy when @ my local gamestop or browsing the game section @ Amazon.com.

and was wondering if any of you guys have the original "DIRT" & what do you think of it? judging from what I have read in some reviews,it seems a lot of the more hardcore "SIM" racers actually prefer the original "DIRT" over 2 & 3~would like to hear some opinions~thanks guys & gr8 racing :D

If Dirt 3 was purely just racing I would love it, I just hate all of the stupid trick type events you have to do, there should be an option in the game to just race. If Dirt 2 doesnt have those events then I will pick it up for PC.

I hope my comment helps , this is my 0.02c based on experience, I picked up diRt3 , played it loved it , didn't like gymkhana one bit. I even resart and crate 2 profiles to play it once again , onPC , I have both PC and PS3.

then I bought DiRT2 and Saw what Malaysia rally has to offer. I never touch dirT3 anymore, and Dirt2 works with SLI-PRo whilst Dirt 3 not anymore.

soif you love rally. get Richard burns Rally and RSrBR2012 , for graphic and gameplay middle way, get Dirt.

I couldn't agree more. Dirt 3 has it's charms, but overall Dirt 2 was a better game, and my immediate reaction to 3 was that way too much of my $60 was spent simply to burn donuts around traffic cones in a empty lot. The whole Gymkakrappy thing should have been offered later as downloadable content, and focused the game play exclusively on rally. But Codeflubbers has a propensity to put junk in their games to catch the attention of the uber-fickle youth market, but I still say that all that fan-boy drifting nonsense could have been marketed as a entire game unto itself, leaving Dirt 3 to satiate the appetites of those who bought that game thinking that it would be the closest thing yet to a honest-t'gawd Richard Burns title. Feh...

Thanks for the replies & opinions Guys :D

@LoPaN ~Absolutely Man!If you do not have "Dirt 2", you REALLY should get it,and NO there is none of those idiotic "Lets do a thousand donuts" events,just Gr8 off road & Rally races in some awesome locals such as Malaysia,Utah,Morocco,China,Japan,Croatia & More.

@"r0gu3"..hehe,I hear Ya man,the Malaysia,China & Utah events Feature some of the best off road tracks ever! and IMHO While "DIRT 3" Certainly has some very Nice Tracks,none of them are quite up to par with the longer tracks In "DIRT 2"[i Never get tired of tearing through the jungles of Malaysia,the desert sands and rock Valleys of Utah & the beautiful & downright kick ass Tracks in China,& thanks for the suggestions,RBR is an awesome title 4sure,but until I finally save up enough for a decent "PC".It's pretty much "PS3" Only Racing until then & Unfortunately "RBR" is only on "PC"[it will however be one of my first purchases After getting a decent "PC"] & I am picking up the original "DIRT" on Friday.thanks M8;)

@"dutch46 "...Absolutely Feel the Same way,I just can not see the point of doing donuts till yer Lunch comes up,or power sliding under trucks for 10 Min's,I tried my best to get into gymkhana or gymkrappy[lol]but the whole event gets old after 3 or 4 donuts & Sh^t man,I wanna RACE! not spin around like some 16 year old kid in his moms Hyundai @ the mall parking lot..WTF? totally agree my friend,should have been some sort of "DLC" to keep the little Drift Kids happy,it has No place in an off road/Rally title at all,cheers man;)

Ocaxeman, I couldn't agree more. I suspect that you are not in the minority with your opinion. I find the graphics better in Dirt 2 than Dirt 3(PS3), and the same goes for the handling. The long tracks like Malaysia, Utah, Morocco, China and Croatia are visually stunning in Dirt 2. Beautiful and fun to drive. Overall I found it more polished than Dirt 3. Codemasters must have lost some talent after Dirt 2 shipped.

I played the original Dirt on the Xbox 360. It has a lot more rally racing with some longer legs. But nothing as visually spectacular as Dirt 2. It has more frame-rate issues than the others - noticable at some point in almost every race, but especially in races with other vehicles. However, most events have you driving solo. The hill climb events at Pike's Peak are huge fun.

I'm not sure if you will have decent wheel support with Dirt. I played it with the Microsoft wheel and it was OK. When I went back later and tried with my Fanatec GT2 it was difficult to find settings I liked. Regardless, since you are a Dirt fan it could be worth picking up if you find it cheap.

I first played DIRT 3 on xbox360. I loved (and still love) that game. It was my first rallye title so i was of course completely blown away. I played it a lot with my sister and one of my best buddys and we have finished our second career a few weeks ago. Rallye and trailblazer on the scandinavian tracks was pure fun and I have to admit I even liked the gymkhana stuff (with trick aid on I have to admitt)...

But after two complete career runs I thought it was time for something new. So I decided to give DIRT 2 a try...

And you are sooooo right. :D I would have never believed it, but DIRT 2 is without a doubt more fun than DIRT3. Trailblazing on marocco just rocks and the other tracks and race modes are cool, too :lol:

We all can only hope they go a bit "back to the roots" in DIRT 4. I would love to see all the cool racing modes of DIRT 2, the weather effects of DIRT 3 and maybe some more realism and longer stages like in RBR...

ocaxeman> RBR doesn't need much hardware power, you definitely should try out if your computer can handle it already. I can run RSRBR on my laptop (which was only intended to do some paperwork when i bought it some years ago) without issues ...

@" Fletch"~My sentiments exactly,the Malaysia, Utah, Morocco & China tracks are Definite standouts,I dig the LA & Battersea close quarter racing a gr8 deal also,and the best part?..NO Gymkhana!! :lol:

I Know that code masters has to cater to a wide audience,and try and keep everyone happy,but just as "Dutch 46" pointed out,the "Gymkhana" events in "DIRT 3" should have been some sort of "DLC" to keep the Drift Kids happy,because it seems I am far from alone in my hatred for this stupid event,but for some reason it seems like a lot of newer racing titles are starting to include more "Drifting" and Crap like "Gymkhana" events in their games...yuk :cry: I know everyone has different taste,and I am not trying to offend anyone who likes "Gymkhana" and "Drifting",and yes I know it takes a certain type of talent to drift & whatnot,But it's NOT Racing man!

anyway thanks for your input Fletch,cheers and gr8 racing.

@"DerKaffeemann"~First off..WOW MAN! I remember seeing your rig the first time and just being blown away by it,you are without a doubt one hell of a craftsman my friend,and that Sequential shifter looks like it's rock solid & utterly Beautiful to boot.Super Sweet Job!

Unfortunately my "PC" is an old Dell [almost 8 years old] and the Disk drive is smoked,I just do not want to sink any more $$$ into it,and am saving up for a decent one,only it is going to be quite some time before that happens,[new rig,new wheel,new 40 Inch Sony HDTV pretty much wiped me out for the next few months.. :lol:]

But will snag "RBR" 4sure once I get squared away in the "PC" Department,But I'm not complaining,..I LOVE my "PS3" Racing and have more than enough kick ass titles to enjoy,besides "SIM" racing I also enjoy GR8 "Arcade" [yes,guilty as charged :mrgreen:] Racers,& have really been having a Blast with "NFS Hot Pursuit" and the mindless Action Packed fun of "Split Second",along with classics like "MCLA" & "GRID".

thanks for the reply DerKaffeemann,and again ~AMAZING RIG!

ocaxeman> Thank you, i appreciate that you like my rig. :D Would be nice if you leave a post in my "dark chest of wonders" thread if you want, it's a bit off topic here. It's sad that your harddisk died, hopefully you had no important data on it. I'm also still a friend of arcade titles, but I found Hot Pursuit to be a bit boring and the handling felt a bit crappy for me. I was more a fan of Burnout Paradise (102% in carreer). If you haven't checked this title out yet, you should definitely pick up a copy. Its pure fun offline and online and beating your friends road records can be a great challenge. I think it has everything that a solid arcade racer needs to have. Of course I'm into other games too. I'm still a fan of the COD Modern Warfare titles, like to play the God of War series and at the moment I try to progress in Dark Souls (man that game is tough). But back to Dirt 2 / Dirt 3... :lol:

@all. I'm playing both titles on my XBOX360 (which is offline-only atm). I'm thinking about buying Dirt 2 or 3 for PS3 too to do some online racing. Which of both titles would you recommend for some online fun?

@"DerKaffeemann"~Well man,it was my "DVD" Drive and not my "HD"..[thankfully] but it sucks because I cant run any disk's at all[thus no "PC"gaming]~but as I said,I am not complaining,I still have my "PS3"[320GB] which I actually prefer to do most of my Gaming/Racing on anyway,I Race a TON of "GT5" & thats one reason why I think your rig is so kewl :mrgreen:~I also had a really good time with the first "NFS Shift"[even with it's sketchy physics and downright weird handling] while waiting[&waiting&waiting]for "GT5" to finally get released,also bought "SHIFT 2" & have to admit I was pretty amped up to get my paws on that one because the "Dev's" claimed they had tweaked the physics engine and had got rid of that Floaty Disconnected feel so prominent in the first "SHIFT"..but my expectations where soon smashed to smithereens within 5 Min's of Playing "SHIFT 2" :x ,not only was the Floaty disconnected feel of the cars still there,IT WAS WORSE![those bastards!..hehe] so consequently both titles sit on my shelf,only to be taken down for beer coasters when I play "GT5".

as far as "Burnout Paradise",yep I played it for awhile,but pretty much hated the handling when using my 'DFGT" and/or "G27"..just felt clunky and pretty much crappy all around,so up that went on the shelf of castaways too;),also after getting "NFS Hot Pursuit" it made "Burnout Paradise" look like a "PS2" title to me,[just my opinion] honestly I put off buying "NFSHP" for a long time because I was till pissed about "SHIFT 2",But after it got patched multiple times,and finally got decent wheel support,I played it @ my buddies house with a "DFGT" & was just blown away by it,so blown away by it,that I rushed over to Gamestop and snagged a copy right away,and have to say I LOVE it,it also happens to be [iMHO] "Hands down" the BEST looking Game on the "PS3" I personally have ever seen,it looks absolutely gorgeous on a really nice "720/1080 HDTV"..I know looks ain't everything,but [again IMHO] it drives as gr8 as it looks,the cars handle fantastic with both my "DFGT" & "G27"..Stellar actually,you should really give it Another Go M8,I know we all have different taste and preferences,and that my personal Brand of Vodka is not necessarily yours,but man that game rocks!

and HELL YES! I'm a huge fan of the whole "CODMW" Series myself M8..[What kind of name is "SOAP" Anyway?..lol] and just picked up "MW3" a few weeks ago..AWESOME game.

To answer your question about which "DIRT" title to get for "PS3" as far as online racing,Well as I said I much prefer "DIRT 2" for both on & offline racing,dirt 3 has tons of people online,but dirt 2 still has a pretty strong online following,and I never have to wait for a race,so I would say "DIRT 2" all the way my friend.

also do not know if you are aware of all the awesome deals going on right now for "Playstation+[plus] members..they just added some major titles you can download for FREE,titles like "Just Cause 2","Saints Row 2".Space Marines [warhammer 40,000],and a bunch of other stuff,check it out @ the playstation store,[just downloaded "Just Cause 2" myself :D ]

anyway cheers & Gr8 racing DerKaffeemann!

quick list of [PS3]titles I Enjoy a gr8 deal~DIRT 2/3,MCLA[TCE],GRID,NFS HP,GT5,Split Second,the entire Motorstorm Series,Killzone 2/3,the CODMW Series,Crysis & Crysis 2,the whole "Resistance series 1,2 & 3,GTA4,& believe it or not "Ridge Racer 7" that when I first got it for 5 bucks [new] pretty much hated..but the SOB has grown on me,and after you get a feeling for the bizarre ultra weird handling/drifting mechanism of the cars,can actually be a really fun entertaining arcade racer.

[Playseat EVO,G27 & DFGT,PS3 [320GB]

Onkyo 200 watt surround sound system,Bose 720's,Sony 40 inch 720 HDTV,& last but not least, LOTS of Corona & Sol Beer!]

ocaxeman> Ok sorry i would have had to mention I played Burnout only with my controller. It never entered my head to use a wheel in that game. I loved Shift 1 although I played it only with controller, too. Shift 2 was a great let-down because of its crappy handling. I'm still furious about that; Shift 2 could have been such a great game :evil: ...

@ "DerKaffeemann"~Could not Agree more about "SHIFT 2",it's just a damn shame,it could have been one hell of a GR8 "SIM/Arcade" hybrid,too bad the majority of the cars handle absolutely horrid! as if you are driving them on a frozen lake bed and the suspension is trashed,and lets not forget about the damn dog walking [wobble] :( ,the more you try and keep the car striaght by small corrections in steering,the more the car starts to wobble,until it becomes totally uncontrollable,the really sad thing is most of the cars just look Amazing,in fact the whole game looks amazing,but drives like sh&t.

I still break it out every now and then,and try to give it another shot,but always after 10 Min's or so I just get pissed & say F it & put "GT5" back in..hehehe :mrgreen:

I'm just getting into racing and asked which were the best games to get and it was the no1 rally game to get.

BTW. the top 4 were; 

Dirt 2

GT5

F1 2013

Grid (1 or 2)

Just ordered it today (ps3), so I should have it early next week. Can't wait...