Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 'dark chest of wonders' [DIY SimRig]

52 posts in this topic

clevohead> thanks, I take that as a compliment. The first idea is always (ok, sometimes ;) ) the best, so I'm pretty shure your Dragula rig will turn out awesome. Having doubts is normal though, but it's important to focus on your inital plan. If I changed my mind of how my rig should develop everytime when I stumbled over another nice idea, I would've been going in circles. I'll keep an eye on your topic... 8-)

Hi Derkaffeemann,

The clamp in the second picture is kinda interesting... did you make that?

And I like the paint, really glossy :)

Does the bucket seat feel comfortable? I'm planning on doing my second rig and am considering getting a bucket seat (salvaged seats are comfortable for sure... but just not as cool-looking)

Sam

Sam> These clamps aren't DIY, I lend these from my father. I don't know where he got them but they are pretty cool. They have a cork contact face and the clamping mechanism works with an eccentric tappet. Shurely you could make those DIY but I think they aren't that expensive.

The bucket seat is pretty comfortable, the one I have is a budget model with tubular frame and spring/foam cushion. So it isn't 100percent static and on heavy braking the backrest bends a bit backwards. I payed about 100 euros for a new set of two, for that price the seats are awesome. If I had the space I would somewhen invest in a proper shell type seat with fibreglass or carbon bucket (not that it would improve the overall experience, but a real bucket seat looks even cooler). Since I utilize every inch of room in my "dark chest of wonders" it would be an an odyssey to find another seat that fits right in.

The finish of my rig is indeed glossy, but it isn't paint. It's a budget self adhesive plastic foil with glossy finish. I wanted to spray the whole rig in a matte black first but it turned out I totally suck in painting with spray cans (funnily enough I'm pretty good in painting miniatures). After all I'm glad I ended up with the foliation solution, it looks great and is easy to keep clean...

But still, applying vinyl/foil finish is a fiddly job in itself, I think you have done an awesome job.

Yes it is an annoying work; but the reward is a really durable and good-looking finish. By the way, thanks for the flowers. I really appreciate it ;) ...

I really like this rig and the clever design that has gone into solving your design problems.  It looks 'rock solid' and packs away neatly.  As mentioned I noticed your rig early on in the design of mine.  I have thought about building a rig for my son when he gets into racing games and will at that point go down a similar route to you with a chest type design.

What I'm really interested in now is the DIY 'butttkicker'.  As I'm using the T500rs that is really strong with force feedback, I'm kind of getting vibrations to the pedals and seat from the wheel as its connected to the rig and the vibrations travel from the wheel throughout the rig.  This started me thinking about a butkicker but they are so expensive!  Like you I already have a 5.1 AV amp which has the optical digital output from the PS3.  What exactly do I need for the DIY butkicker and how do I connect it all up? 

Thanks for the flowers ptux73 and tmitch45, I really appreciate it. You both have nice rigs and shared cool pictures, so your builds might influence my future projects, too.

ptux73> How do you like your CSW? I got one last year and I think it is a nice piece of hardware. Sadly I somehow lack the time and proper motivation to "race" at the moment, so I only did a few laps with it so far.

tmitch45> I searched my older posts concerning a DIY-buttkicker solution, maybe you find some usefull info there:

http://isrtv.com/forums/topic/7063-aura-pro-bass-shakers-ast-2b-04-50-watt/

http://isrtv.com/forums/topic/5229-buttkicker-with-ps3/

http://isrtv.com/forums/topic/7295-buttkicker-and-wooden-rig/

http://isrtv.com/forums/topic/5253-buttkicker-what-one/

Of course I'll try to give you further infos if there remain some questiions. I'm always glad when I can help, so feel free to ask =)...

luving my csw, I was using a g27 before I upgraded in November, even though ive only used it with ps3 so far it feels incredible, I race cockpit and all assists off and like I say even with limited feedback through a playstation its very precise and the feedback is sensational, its what made me realise I need to go to pc to get the most out of it

Hey folks, it's time for another little update. I was asked for templates/drawings of my rig several times, so I recreated my rig with a CAD-Software. I was in the mood to play around with the animation tool of the program so I made a little video for you first.

I'll create drawings of the main components soon. I'm unsure if I should start a new topic once they are finished, let me know what you think about that...

Hey folks, I thought I could share the CAD-data of my racing rig with you in case you want to play around with it a little bit.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/krwxvewxjy4d4xd/DCOW.rar here you can find a rar.container with a step-file of the whole assembly. Additionally, I have gathered all the parts and sub-assemblies in Autodesk .iam and .ipt file format in there.

Feel free to use and modify the files under one condition: The data in there is my intellectual property, so you aren't allowed to use it commercially.

It would be very kind if you share your results with the community...

Thanks for the positive feedback. The last few days I somehow was in the mood to create some more content for the community and I was very busy.

I'm very proud to announce that I will share detailled design plans of my DCOW rig.

Here's a teaser picture:

dylb.jpg

I'll find the whole set of drawings here: http://isrtv.com/forums/topic/12029-dcow-rig-plans-small-footprint-space-saving-converttable-style-chassis/?p=115820

Leave me a comment... :)